• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

Is it accurate that I skipped a cutscene just by pressing X once or twice?

I played for a tiny amount last night and skipped the cutscene where she climbs out of the hole just by pressing X right as it started because I was trying to jump when still in the gameplay. Is it actually that easy to skip a cutscene? I might've been mashing the button so maybe I at least clicked through a confirm super quick.

Weird. I could blow up the robo-croc canisters in one hit before but now I can't

Is there any point in getting higher rarity ropecasters? Seems like they just give you more mods.

I played for a tiny amount last night and skipped the cutscene where she climbs out of the hole just by pressing X right as it started because I was trying to jump when still in the gameplay. Is it actually that easy to skip a cutscene? I might've been mashing the button so maybe I at least clicked through a confirm super quick.
I did the same exact thing at the same exact spot. I don't think there was a confirmation either.

____

Weird. I could blow up the robo-croc canisters in one hit before but now I can't

Is there any point in getting higher rarity ropecasters? Seems like they just give you more mods.

Do you know if it was the same kind of bow? Diff elemental bows deal diff damage to diff types of machines + diff weak points.

Neoweee

It's a mess. The skipping is Dragon Age: Origins level of placement/caution, instead of Dragon Age: Inquisition. Bioware really spends time going through and putting stops and starts in sensible places, but it is understable that a first-time open-world developer wouldn't really get all of the nuance.

Joeku

I also did the exact same thing. Yes, you skipped a quick cutscene.
Rost tries to take the Focus from Aloy but she won't give it up, and he effectively says "Fine, you think you're all big? Now you're gonna learn to hunt."

This game on very hard is fucking amazing so far. Just the right difficulty for me. Nothing feels cheap, and you're really having to utilize every single tool available. Good stuff.

Should I just buy the sling as soon as I can purchase it? Or do I get a free one in a quest?

I bought the sling and rope caster when they were first available. Dunno if it was the right thing to do as their tutorials were a decently higher level than mine but the basic ammo for them both is easy to craft, so why not?

Dave_6

Did the first Cauldron last night. I was level 9 at the time and was not expecting the boss to be twice my level, lol. Damn what a fight that was; finally did it after 8 or 9 attempts. So satisfying to do that.

This game on very hard is fucking amazing so far. Just the right difficulty for me. Nothing feels cheap, and you're really having to utilize every single tool available. Good stuff.
I'm on hard, still at the beginning. Is there a trophy for specifically beating it on VH and would that be voided if I switched now? I'm still early so starting over wouldn't be too big of an issue but I'd rather not.

No trophy related to it would be ideal as I can play it for my own personal challenge without having to start over.

I'm on hard, still at the beginning. Is there a trophy for specifically beating it on VH and would that be voided if I switched now? I'm still early so starting over wouldn't be too big of an issue but I'd rather not.

No trophy related to it would be ideal as I can play it for my own personal challenge without having to start over.

I'm going off of the summary of the trophy guide, because I don't want to spoil myself just in case, but it says that difficulty doesn't impact trophies.

So, I'm fiveish hours in and just got out of the "embrace" where everything opens up a bit...

I went to the first "bunker" and found that armor. I had two power cells and got into the chamber, but it looks like i need three more to unlock it. In the least spoilerish way possible, where do i go to get more power cells? Are they just in ruins throughout the rest of the map?

Really, really enjoying my time so far. The whole whistle/silent strike combo seems a bit unbalanced right now, but i'm assuming that's because i haven't run into many other types of enemies yet...

WITHE1982

So, I'm fiveish hours in and just got out of the "embrace" where everything opens up a bit...

I went to the first "bunker" and found that armor. I had two power cells and got into the chamber, but it looks like i need three more to unlock it. In the least spoilerish way possible, where do i go to get more power cells? Are they just in ruins throughout the rest of the map?

Really, really enjoying my time so far. The whole whistle/silent strike combo seems a bit unbalanced right now, but i'm assuming that's because i haven't run into many other types of enemies yet...

All the
power cells
but one (
which is in the very first ruins
) are in main mission locations so as long as you explore fully you should get them.

ultron87

It's a mess. The skipping is Dragon Age: Origins level of placement/caution, instead of Dragon Age: Inquisition. Bioware really spends time going through and putting stops and starts in sensible places, but it is understable that a first-time open-world developer wouldn't really get all of the nuance.

So it is like that all the time where you can super easily skip cutscenes that launch from gameplay with little to no transition? That seems annoying.

Oh well, everything else I played seemed neat.

Why does the camera pov randomly turn to the left side of Aloy from the default right?

It's been bugging me non-stop, especially in towns. I have to draw my bow to turn it back to default every time it occurs.

drotahorror

I feel like I should have stuck with the story more and not done all the side quests and finding all collectibles in the first 30% of the game.

Everything is getting pretty repetitive and it seems like 90% of the quests are using detective vision. Maybe things will switch up soon but, I dunno. I have so many quests now too since I got to the big town.

No idea. Can't stand that. Clicking in R3 switches it back to the right though.

tapping the left trigger will do the same.

Kin5290

So it is like that all the time where you can super easily skip cutscenes that launch from gameplay with little to no transition? That seems annoying.

Oh well, everything else I played seemed neat.
No. That's the only cutscene that skips like that, and it's a bug. The actual skip method is X and then Square.

I think the last time I ran from something screaming was bloodborne. I had been slaying watchers and striders, and thought the sawtooth can easily be taken down by a headshot.... NOT!

That mofo chased me around for like 10 minutes, on my ass! Then I rolled into a tree and It looked like Aloy got hit by a semi..

I had to cut it off at that point. Amazing freaking game man.

I thought I was going to be all cute and stealthy and put down traps and easily kill it. So I popped it in the head with an arrow to draw it towards me and that damn thing saw my traps, paused to think for a second and then just simply jumped over them and proceeded to kick my ass.

Two at the start, a couple are mid game and the final one is in one of the final locations.

Gotcha.

The whole "hey look at this. looks cool right? bet you really want it right? cool, well we'll see you at the end of the game then" gets me every single time.

i think it's why i love ratchet and clank so much.

Joeku

No. That's the only cutscene that skips like that, and it's a bug. The actual skip method is X and then Square.

Lmao, of course a cutscene that triggers at the same moment you think you have to jump is glitched to immediately skip with X. Perfect.

xviper

this game is so huge, i wanna do everything but i'm afraid that i may get bored of open world games

especially that Zelda and Neir are right around the corner and both are open world and me being bored of open world may effect my experience with them

WITHE1982

Gotcha.

The whole "hey look at this. looks cool right? bet you really want it right? cool, well we'll see you at the end of the game then" gets me every single time.

i think it's why i love ratchet and clank so much.

Agreed. Although given what the item can do it's wise that it's inaccessible until late in the story. It really would break the game completely. Pity there's no NG+ to use it in from the start.

Are people finding amor early on?

I'm at the
cauldron
maybe 6 hours in taking it slow but I haven't found any out in the world?

Do you mean outfits? I'm about the same length in, didn't even get to what you spoiler'd yet, and there have been a couple merchants selling some entry level stuff

Agreed. Although given what the item can do it's wise that it's inaccessible until late in the story. It really would break the game completely. Pity there's no NG+ to use it in from the start.

Okay, that makes sense. Yes, also agree about the NG+ angle. Didn't know that; bummer. Oh well, I'm not far enough in to say for sure, but right now i feel like i want to go to every icon on the map and see everything. just being out in the world is a lot of fun so far. We'll see ~20 hrs from now i guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom