• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

DirtyLarry

Finally got to check it out last night. Hot damn. And let me just say, I was skeptical with that awkwardly big headed kid beginning, but gladly that was really just a tutorial.

Just damn with the visuals. I have been gaming on the PC seriously for 18 years this August, and every-time there has been a console exclusive I have always thought to myself I wonder what it would look like on PC. There is no such thoughts like that with this game. The visuals as noted are fucking amazing.

However it is the gameplay that is the real surprise here. The fluidity of Aloy's movement is damn near perfect, and I am super early on. I can already see by perusing the skill tree that it is only going to keep getting better and better.

Simply put, this game is making my decision to hold off on picking up a Switch until they have more games a much easier pill to swallow.

Kudos to GG. They made the transition from one genre to another as good, if not better, than I have ever seen a developer do.

Wollan

@CDPROJEKTRED
We're loving #HorizonZeroDawn, congratz to the @Guerrilla team and a high five from Geralt!
C56AGGkWcAAskuz.jpg

https://twitter.com/CDPROJEKTRED/status/837316575925514241

I played a little while after my wife went to sleep. Got past The Proving and told her what happened over breakfast this morning. She wanted me to send her video of what she missed so she could watch it during her lunch break. I know some people have been poo pooing the story a bit, but it's pretty engrossing.

Did the first Cauldron last night. I was level 9 at the time and was not expecting the boss to be twice my level, lol. Damn what a fight that was; finally did it after 8 or 9 attempts. So satisfying to do that.
Same. I said it yesterday, but these big machines are like this gen's Big Daddies. You have to plan ahead and plan smart before you engage or you will die.

deoee

Can I somehow turn off the floating quest markers?

I just want the general direction via compass.

The option in the well options doesn't turn them off.

reKon

Banned
this game is so huge, i wanna do everything but i'm afraid that i may get bored of open world games

especially that Zelda and Neir are right around the corner and both are open world and me being bored of open world may effect my experience with them

Dunno about Nier because that seems more action focused. Zelda is going to be huge one and probably the most innovative game you play in a while. I wouldn't rush and I just finish this and then steadily move on, throwing some other game in the mix.

I thought I was going to be all cute and stealthy and put down traps and easily kill it. So I popped it in the head with an arrow to draw it towards me and that damn thing saw my traps, paused to think for a second and then just simply jumped over them and proceeded to kick my ass.

Everybody is telling their stories about their first Sawtooth encounter but mine was pretty uneventful - I put a tripwire in its path, then another behind me on the hill, waited for it to be stunned, then shot a weak point with a fire arrow. When it chased after me I ran and slid under my trip wire (which felt fucking awesome) and it stunned itself again so I shot it with another arrow and it exploded. Ran and hid and then finished it off with two more arrows while it was looking for me.

Of course I'm playing on normal. Does the enemy AI change at all if you up the difficulty? Or do they just get more HP?

I use GifCam. It's a very small PC program. It's not the greatest quality, but it's super simple and intuitive and it looks pretty good!

FCBa6HU.gif

source.gif

Better! although this is made in my work laptop which is pretty shity. I tried in my home last night and it was even better than this.

Kalentan

Of course I'm playing on normal. Does the enemy AI change at all if you up the difficulty? Or do they just get more HP?

I think the AI changes cause I went from Hard to Very Hard and while enemies did hit a bit more, I noticed they were far more aggressive but their health seems the same.

ch4fx_

EARLY. STORY. !!!SPOILERS!!!

Rost.. NOOOOOOOOOOO!! :( Yet again this game envokeing emotions I didn't know a game could, now I feel alone & empty inside.

Sanctuary

So either my new Pro is already busted, or there are a lot of people not noticing the awful full screen shimmering that happens constantly, because for the last few days I kept thinking it was my B6. Hooked the system up to my plasma as well as my crappy PC monitor and the issue persists.

What it really looks like is anisotropic filtering drawing in and then dropping off when the screen pans. But it makes zero sense that it would be happening as close as it does, because it's literally point blank at the character's feet. The only thing I can think of that is causing this is the checkerboard rendering, because I haven't seen any game do this on a console in decades (the last games to do this that I remember were on the N64), and I've seen a similar effect on older PCs that struggled with even using AF.

EARLY. STORY. !!!SPOILERS!!!

Rost.. NOOOOOOOOOOO!! :( Yet again this game envokeing emotions I didn't know a game could, now I feel alone & empty inside.

I don't know much more than you really, but I don't buy that he's dead (don't want it either).

Dommel

Did the first Cauldron today, so amazing. The complete change of scenery and the sense of discovery is so good.

Ernest

Banned
Only 2 hours in, but while I'm enjoying it, it hasn't quite "clicked" yet with me.

I mean, the controls, fighting, and especially graphics are spot-fucking-ON, but so far it seems like any other open-world game; go to point A, get thing, go to point B, fight, go to point C, end mission, upgrade. Rinse, repeat.

Obviously I'm sticking with it, but right now, the game is keeping it's distance from me.

Sanctuary

Only 2 hours in, but while I'm enjoying it, it hasn't quite "clicked" yet with me.

I mean, the controls, fighting, and especially graphics are spot-fucking-ON, but so far it seems like any other open-world game; go to point A, get thing, go to point B, fight, go to point C, end mission, upgrade. Rinse, repeat.

Obviously I'm sticking with it, but right now, the game is keeping it's distance from me.

Aside from the bigger dino fights (and certain plot points), it just feels too much Far Cry Primal all over again. Your main map eventually gets icons puked all over it too just like every single Ubisoft game.

Socivol

Whoever wrote the beginning of this game did an excellent job. I really care about Aloy and HATE that she was treated so poorly for no reason. I played about 6 or 7 hours and I've barely done anything. This is going to be a game that takes me a long time to beat.

DrBo42

Pretty much the same for me. Though I'm still not feeling the combat or the enemy's AI when it comes to stealth. It's okay so far.

Ferr986

So.. Is it worth getting it now for standard PS4 or wait like 6 months till i get me a ps4 pro?

Go ahead if you want to play it now. PS4 version is good and they're not that different. Both have stable 30 fps, and PS4 is 1080p. The only PRO enhancements are checkerboard and better shadows and AF.

You can always watch DF comparison.

Toni

Whoever wrote the beginning of this game did an excellent job. I really care about Aloy and HATE that she was treated so poorly for no reason. I played about 6 or 7 hours and I've barely done anything. This is going to be a game that takes me a long time to beat.

Yes, absolutely agree on that.

This doesn't happen often to me, but it broke my heart seeing her get thrown a rock in her face, and being so little at the time as well.

Slaythe

Ok so here is what I love about this game.

I just spent one hour on a "stupid" trial. Because it was so much fun trying to do it the ghetto way with no resources / powers unlocked.

Since it's completely optional and never forced down my throat or to slow down my progress, it felt great to try to do it. Between story stuff, hunts, etc... the game really is amazing with letting the players have their own pacing.

FeD.nL

Aside from the bigger dino fights (and certain plot points), it just feels too much Far Cry Primal all over again. Your main map eventually gets icons puked all over it too just like every single Ubisoft game.

Mind you I haven't played Far Cry Primal. But when you talk about the icons do you mean the specific hunting grounds? Because in terms of activities most of it is relegated to side quests/errands and not small stuff like Eavesdropping on someone in AC.

Socivol

Yes, absolutely agree on that.

This doesn't happen often to me, but it broke my heart seeing her get thrown a rock in her face, and being so little at the time as well.

I was RAGING when that happened so I picked the option to throw a rock back and then Rost shot it out of the air I was so mad!

Jetman

Hahaha, the first time I die in game is on the subquest to track Alana's missing spear to the scrappers. Think "Oh, I'll just get up on this big hill and shoot these dudes with arrows until they're done". Then two of the scrappers look at me, and pretty much one-shot me lasers. "Well, fuck. Didn't expect that." Haha.

Amazing looking game so far. Kind of surprised (at least in the starting Nora tribe area) that unlike most open world games there doesn't seem to be a shit ton of collectible items to pick up at every step. It's happened more than once where I'll find a hidden little pathway into the mountain side and it just stops at a dead-end with no items/chests or anything. The game doesn't seem to reward you, directly, for exploring.

J-Skee

How are all of you beating the first cauldron?! I must've spent an hour on that fight. Got close, but still couldn't finish it.

Foxxsoxx

This game just keeps on giving my God. I love that there are a lot of enemies that I'm actually scared to fight against because I know they'll use a lot of resources and with the save system being the way it is you can lose some progress, really puts survival in there because things can go from 100% to 1% real, real fast.

Earlier I was fighting some ((mid game enemy robo spoilers))
grazers then out of nowhere crocs, birds, and ravagers came from fucking everywhere.
I've never bobbed and weaved so much in my life. I even had an audible 'Oh come on...' moment when I saw how many there were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom