• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redders

Talking of skills, is there enough skill points to unlock everything or do you just have to aim for the ones you most want?

Muzicfreq

Banned
No, they got extra bonuses on top of the pack. The reguler pre-order was supposed to come with the Nora Machine Trapper Pack.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016...-special-editions-pre-order-bonuses-detailed/

GameStop and EB customers will get additional pre-order bonuses on top of the Nora Machine Trapper Pack that give the player in-game upgrades:
Nora Lookout Outfit – a unique outfit with enhanced camouflage and an extra modification slot.
Nora Longshot Bow – a hunting weapon with improved accuracy and an extra modification slot.

That's the outfit and bow they got

Cool, thanks! I'm also interested in the skill before that one, that lets you get back traps, although I dont know if it works, for example, with wires already used against an enemy.

That and the triple arrow shot are my main objectives right nowm

If you put down a trap or tripwire and it's not triggered during the fight, you can pick it up. Or if an enemy avoids it, you can reclaim it and reposition it if you want.

(Basically it allows you to use tripwires and traps more liberally without worrying about wasting them.)

cooly08

That's odd since I preordered the collectors on amazon and got no such outfit

I'm from France. So maybe this outif is exclusive to that country...
The amazon's bonus name is :
Le costume de la tribu Nora et l'arc de la tribu Nora.
=> Nora's tribe outfit and bow.

(You have to collect bonuses by a merchant. There are in the "boxes".)

--

I tried something by mixing photomode and gameplay :

source.gif

--

source.gif

This looks very, very cool. Nice work.

Artdayne

So at first I felt things were a bit too easy in this game, playing on very hard, because it felt I could just go around one shot stealth killing everything. I REALLY loved the proving though and all the twists and turns that took place shortly after. I'm really starting to dig this game now. I like the small touches like the robot dinosaurs starting to limp when they are low on health. On a side note, this game has the best animated hair I've seen.

just arrived in
Meridian
and man does it looks amazing!!!! the game really opens up after
"leaving the sacred lands"
all the errands and sidequests!!!

Ferr986

If you put down a trap or tripwire and it's not triggered during the fight, you can pick it up. Or if an enemy avoids it, you can reclaim it and reposition it if you want.

(Basically it allows you to use tripwires and traps more liberally without worrying about wasting them.)

Great! Thanks! There's some cool skills to unlock.

B.O.O.M

lmao I actually forgot that there's a skill tree to unlock in this game...noticed at the end of my play session. Some of these abilities look real cool.

Game is bonkers

--

source.gif
That's pretty awesome :) send it to the GG Devs on twitter

Stanng243

GameStop and EB customers will get additional pre-order bonuses on top of the Nora Machine Trapper Pack that give the player in-game upgrades:
Nora Lookout Outfit – a unique outfit with enhanced camouflage and an extra modification slot.
Nora Longshot Bow – a hunting weapon with improved accuracy and an extra modification slot.

That's the outfit and bow they got

Yeah, I hadn't gotten the Nora Machine Trapper Pack. It was a seperate code from the collectors edition. Best buy was supposed to email it to me, but I had to contact them to get it.

Just started playing the game yesterday and my god, the game looks so good it's crazy !

Loving the atmosphere so far, can't wait to play more tonight !

This fucking game man, it might have now spoilt all other games coming out, I can't wait for Zelda tomorrow but having played this on a pro on a nice big tv I just don't know how Zelda can compete this game looks totally fucking insane then you add in its open world and that just makes it even more impressive.
Very very different experiences, I think you'll like both.

Horizon's loop, is the next fight and big story reveal. It gives you freedom to peel back as much back story as you want through dialog, and get into more optional fights

Zelda's loop is discovery and interaction. The story is simple, and you can go finish it whenever you want, hour 10 or 100 and it encourages you to explore and create your own 'relationship' with the world through puzzles, reaching high and hidden places, and collecting weapons/loot.

Depends on the gamer which you will enjoy more, but they are very different.

Tyaren

Both are fine. Resolution has a slightly softer image but it is clearer than performance. Just pick the one that looks better to you.

I know you keep saying this the last couple of days, you even said it looked disappointing compared to games like For Honor to you, but where is the downsampled image soft or softer than standard PS4? Maybe it's your TV? Horizon looks absolutely crisp downsampled on my HDTV. Or does this look soft?

32345284233_49de69c7e2_o.png

(Photomode pic, but no filter or any other effects or enhancements applied, just moved the camera.)

Also in the screenshot thread I can mostly immediately tell if it is a base PS4 screen or a PS4 Pro downsampled screen that I am looking at. The Pro Image is always crisper and has crisper textures.

Digital Foundry took a look at that too, just scroll down to their image comparisons:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-horizon-zero-dawn-ps4-pro-performance-analysis

Found out that if you use tearblast arrows and heavy attacks you can keep enemies stunlocked until they die. This also strips all of their components.

What you do

1. Down them with a heavy R2 hit
2. Shoot a tear arrow at point blank range
3. Quickly press R2 to go into the finisher
4. The tear arrow will blast you away from the target but it will still deal the finisher damage if you pressed R1 fast enough
5. Now you get a R2 before the enemy stands up
6. Now press R2 as the enemy gets up to stagger it again (sometimes they dodge but the R2 hit still tracks and hits them).

I just found it interesting. It seems that after they've been staggered by an R2 hit the game gives them a stagger immunity or something like that, but this only protects them from one R2 hit. Because the tear arrow throws you off fast enough to get two R2 hits before they can stand this enables you to get rid of the stagger protection with the first hit, and then stagger them on the second.

Not saying you should do this to cheese your way through the game, but I thought it was interesting and I've found it fun to experiment and discover these kinds of sequences. The caveat of course, is that it does cost tearblast arrows which aren't an inexpensive resource, but this is a good way of making the most of them as if you save them for staggered enemies you can get two free follow ups plus another stagger.

CHC

Holy shit Lance Reddick
just pulled a Metal Gear Solid Deepthroat cold call
. Shit's getting wild here!

With him and Doug Cockle in this game the VA choices are just too good... all we need now is a Hayter cameo for the cycle to be complete.

megalowho

A few hours in, made it to Mother's Heart and about to do the proving.

-Gorgeous, polished and controls feel good
-World building and setting is interesting
-Stealth seems OP
-Dialogue reads like a video game, like late era Bioware. Coming from Yakuza 0 to this is a step down
-Gathering and crafting overload!

Digging it but also not blown away early on, visuals aside. In a lot of ways its more of the same western AAA design we've seen these past few years. Still looking forward to the combat, environment and story opening up more but hard for me to say if the total package is greater than the sum of its parts quite yet.

I'm curious to see how well this game is selling. Has there been any initial news on that front?

I'm loving the game, it tempts me to buy a PRO. But I just don't have the money to get a 4K tv right now.

CHC

Also how fucking crazy is it that the zone you start in is by far the least graphically impressive one? Like WTF, this game is such a looker.

Foxxsoxx

-Stealth seems OP
-Dialogue reads like a video game, like late era Bioware. Coming from Yakuza 0 to this is a step down

Digging it but also not blown away early on, visuals aside. In a lot of ways its more of the same western AAA design we've seen these past few years. Still looking forward to the combat, environment and story opening up more but hard for me to say if the total package is greater than the sum of its parts early on.

@ thinking stealth feels OP.

Maybe for the smaller guys. Later it becomes your means of survival ;3

Unless you're on normal or easy.

Tyaren

Playing on a 1080p TV so no reason not to use the Performance mode right?

It's the other way around actually. ;)
Beside downgraded textures and texture filtering and a less clearer image performance mode does not really bring more to the table. It's 99.9% stable 30fps...but the resolution mode is 99% of the time stable too. There imo is really no need to go without the beautifully crips downsampled image on HDTVs.

Performance mode dont do shit really except downgrade visuals

Resolution mode runs damn near perfect like 99% of the time

Also some shots

It's the other way around actually. ;)
Beside downgraded textures and texture filtering and a less clearer image performance mode does not really bring more to the table. It's 99.9% stable 30fps...but the resolution mode is 99% of the time stable too. There imo is really no need to go without the beautifully crips downsampled image on HDTVs.

Would always prefer a downsampled picture.

Hmmmm, might switch to Resolution then. Cheers.

What's that fluff about "enhanced graphical features" or whatever it was in the options?

-Stealth seems OP

Digging it but also not blown away early on, visuals aside. In a lot of ways its more of the same western AAA design we've seen these past few years. Still looking forward to the combat, environment and story opening up more but hard for me to say if the total package is greater than the sum of its parts early on.

The dialogue in that opening cutscene combined with the delivery from Rost was so bad, shoutout to the errand woman screaming "Hey! It's <insertnamehere>! Your sister!" too.

I'm barely a couple of hours into it but I can see where you're coming from. It's basically Rise of the Tomb Raider with robot dinosauruses and prettier graphics. I liked Rise of the Tomb Raider, and everyone loves giant robots and dinosaurs, so I should have a decent enough time with this but I know I've barely scratched the surface.

EDIT: 6 year old Aloy getting moody was legit funny though, really liked that bit.

I played an hour yesterday and got through the young Aloy part, did a side quest as older Aloy. I'm absolutely having a great time so far. Now to do this Proving and see if I can get answers about my mother. Playing on Very Hard, by the way.

Ashly Burch is doing a great job voicing Aloy, but I still hear Chloe from Life is Strange whenever she speaks.

deoee

Only weapon I haven't tried is the Ropecaster. I hear it's p good?

For some enemies I wish to have it, but I haven't bought it yet.

I feel like against the bigger enemies it would make fights easier.
On the other hand, you can use Freeze or Shock-Slingshots too.

-Stealth seems OP

Digging it but also not blown away early on, visuals aside. In a lot of ways its more of the same western AAA design we've seen these past few years. Still looking forward to the combat, environment and story opening up more but hard for me to say if the total package is greater than the sum of its parts quite yet.

The narrative expands really quickly after the proving, it just gets better and better. As well, early combat against watchers and striders is nothing in comparison to fighting multiple scrappers, grazers or a thunderjaw.

As you go in, stealth becomes a necessity for dealing with a lot of the large guys. It's the same here as it was with Dragon Age Inquisition, get out of the Hinterlands and you'll see everything expand massively.

Jhn

This game looks so ridiculously good all the damn time.
It's seriously the best looking game I've ever seen, it's on a weak-ass console, and its fucking open world.
So yeah, that's apparently not an excuse anymore.

Guerrilla are some god damn magicians.

I know you keep saying this the last couple of days, you even said it looked disappointing compared to games like For Honor to you, but where is the downsampled image soft or softer than standard PS4? Maybe it's your TV? Horizon looks absolutely crisp downsampled on my HDTV. Or does this look soft?

(Photomode pic, but no filter or any other effects or enhancements applied, just moved the camera.)

Also in the screenshot thread I can mostly immediately tell if it is a base PS4 screen or a PS4 Pro downsampled screen that I am looking at. The Pro Image is always crisper and has crisper textures.

Digital Foundry took a look at that too, just scroll down to their image comparisons:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-horizon-zero-dawn-ps4-pro-performance-analysis

I'm not sure if the DF article applies here because that seems to be comparing base PS4 to PS4 Pro and I'm fairly certain that the Performance mode on Pro has slight improvements to the game not present in the base version.

And that picture is a bit too compressed to tell the IQ. I'm basing this largely off flicking between Performance and Resolution in several areas. Resolution mode cleans up the image but does make it look softer on my TV. I think it's due to the AA method being used.

The resolution mode is otherwise better in providing a better image but the softness does detract from it. I did a comparison earlier here. The resolution mode provides much more details e.g. the branches but the actual downsampling benefits are lost due to the added softness. The IQ benefits are very small compared to other titles that downsample. It's immediately clear when you play something like For Honor, Deus Ex or R&C that the game is being downsampled. Not so with Horizon.

Ferr986

I dunno, res mode also looks a lil softer to me on my TV. That being said, there's more aliasing (mainly foliage) in perf mode too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom