• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

nOoblet16

Both are fine. Resolution has a slightly softer image but it is clearer than performance. Just pick the one that looks better to you.
I dunno, res mode also looks a lil softer to me in my TV. That being said, there's more aliasing (mainly foliage) in perf mode too.

It's not physically possible for the resolution mode to have a softer image than performance mode on 1080P TV. Resolution will still provide a sharper image than performance. It's basically a downsampling (checkerboard) 4K image with post process AA vs a 1080P image with the same post process AA.

Performance mode also means you lose out on the AF and higher resolution textures quality that resolution mode has. Considering how stable the game runs already there is zero reason to use performance mode, even if it means dealing with minor dips (that don't last long) in very rare occasions since you do get the benefits of superior AF, AA and texture resolution in resolution mode.

MaKTaiL

This game looks so ridiculously good all the damn time.
It's seriously the best looking game I've ever seen, it's on a weak-ass console, and its fucking open world.
So yeah, that's apparently not an excuse anymore.

Guerrilla are some god damn magicians.
Sorry, what?

mileS

Anyone else with the PS Gold headset flip flopping between sound presets for this game? What do you use if you settled on one?

calder

Absolutely loving the game so far. Played about 10 hours, am still in the main valley part (ie haven't travelled to the first city yet). I just love the little side quests and shit.

I love how they get you so comfortable with stealth and the watchers and grazers and then they drop a few sawtooth's in your path and you get just wrecked. Then when you realize how you have to use a lot of tools and ammo to get past them there's something bigger and meaner just around the corner.

The narrative expands really quickly after the proving, it just gets better and better. As well, early combat against watchers and striders is nothing in comparison to fighting multiple scrappers, grazers or a thunderjaw.

As you go in, stealth becomes a necessity for dealing with a lot of the large guys. It's the same here as it was with Dragon Age Inquisition, get out of the Hinterlands and you'll see everything expand massively.

I was excited to load up the Pro and carry on with my game but you ruined my mood by reminding me about Inquisition :(

Jhn

Sorry, what?

I'm comparing it to stuff that's out on PC, so relatively speaking. I'm not trying to antagonize, I don't own a windows PC in the first place.
Just saying this looks remarkable even when compared to things that run on objectively superior hardware.

On hard you really have to use every tool there is.

Potions, Traps, Stun-ammo, several weapons, stealth
AU7Amsc.gif

Yeah pretty much. Though I still don't get that much use out of Traps, they're just a little too cumbersome to use quickly and consistently unless I know I'll be needing them for a very specific hard fight.

Tyaren

What's that fluff about "enhanced graphical features" or whatever it was in the options?

There are actually none... I too wonder why they claim there are. Maybe something went wrong and they'll fix it later? There really should be a bit of visual improvement possible in 1080p and locked 30fps.

Ummm no.
Resolution will still provide a sharper image than performance. It's basically a (checkerboard) 4K image with post process AA vs a 1080P image with the same AA, it's not physically possible for the resolution mode to have a softer image than performance mode on 1080P TV.

Performance mode also means you lose out on the AF and higher resolution textures quality that resolution mode has. Considering how stable the game runs already there is zero reason to use performance mode, even if it means dealing with minor dips (that don't last long) in very rare occasions since you do get the benefits of superior AF, AA and texture resolution in resolution mode.

Let me rephrase the wording to make my point a bit clearer. Performance mode has more aliasing than Resolution mode but due to some other factor, perhaps AA, there is an added softness that detracts from the overall image quality. That is what I've observed.

People are free to disagree with me. But this game's downsampling is one of the least impressive on the PS4 Pro out of all the games I've played.

Ferr986

It's not physically possible for the resolution mode to have a softer image than performance mode on 1080P TV. Resolution will still provide a sharper image than performance. It's basically a (checkerboard) 4K image with post process AA vs a 1080P image with the same AA.

Do we know for sure perf mode takes out the AF and such? Wouldnt make any sense, and the mode says it has graphical improvements.

Also, I know it doesnt makes sense and Im probably in the wrong, but its the only downsampled game where I see that.

Mind you, still playing in res mode because the foliage sometimes looks jarring in perf (compared to res).

nOoblet16

The narrative expands really quickly after the proving, it just gets better and better. As well, early combat against watchers and striders is nothing in comparison to fighting multiple scrappers, grazers or a thunderjaw.

As you go in, stealth becomes a necessity for dealing with a lot of the large guys. It's the same here as it was with Dragon Age Inquisition, get out of the Hinterlands and you'll see everything expand massively.
I found stealth useless outside of the first few hours when I didn't have anything. Aloy is just so powerful that you can just take anything on head on provided you have the right equipments.

Blast tripwires and tear arrows make short work of even the biggest robots. And once you get abilities like longer slow mo and shooting multiple arrows at once make it becomes quite a cakewalk.

I can take down a Thunderjaw without even taking damage since and it'd be half health before the fight even begins due to the traps and tear arrows.

I was excited to load up the Pro and carry on with my game but you ruined my mood by reminding me about Inquisition :(

Think of it like this. The early game is super fantastic. Full of atmosphere and wonderment. After you get past the
Dawngate
you get an insane eye-pop moment.

I found stealth useless outside of the first few hours when I didn't have anything. Aloy is just so powerful that you can just take anything on head on provided you have the right equipments.

Blast tripwires and tear arrows make short work of even the biggest robots. And once you get abilities like longer slow mo and shooting multiple arrows at once make it becomes quite a cakewalk.

I can take down a Thunderjaw without even taking damage since and it'd be half health before the fight even begins due to the traps and tear arrows.
Me too.

But it will get tougher. Now at times I just run away from fights because shit can get absolutely bonkers. Absolutely fucking bonkers.

Tyaren

And that picture is a bit too compressed to tell the IQ.

That image is an uncompressed png. I'm starting to think something's wrong with your TV/monitor.

And this is pretty much the only AAA game that does constant 4k checkerboarding. All other games downsample from much lower resolution, again I am simply not sure how it is physically possible for a 1800P something downsampling image to be more impressive than a full 4k downsampling image.

This.

silva1991

OK someone pls upload a video of fighting shellwalkers. I just can't fight those properly and They cost me so much healing items.

nOoblet16

Let me rephrase the wording to make my point a bit clearer. Performance mode has more aliasing than Resolution mode but due to some other factor, perhaps AA, there is an added softness that detracts from the overall image quality. That is what I've observed.

People are free to disagree with me. But this game's downsampling is one of the least impressive on the PS4 Pro out of all the games I've played.
It's the same post process AA solution on both. A post process AA solution on a lower resolution will inherently be blurrier and less capable than the same solution at higher resolution. Additionally you have better AF and texture resolution leading to even more crispness over 1080P mode.

And this is pretty much the only AAA game that does constant 4k checkerboarding. All other games downsample from much lower resolution, again I am simply not sure how it is physically possible for a 1800P something downsampling image to be more impressive than a full 4k downsampling image.

I'm at level 31 and I haven't even gotten to the big city that starts with a M. I'm doing my second cauldron now and a lot of side quests and errands.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I'm comparing it to stuff that's out on PC, so relatively speaking. I'm not trying to antagonize, I don't own a windows PC in the first place.
Just saying this looks remarkable even when compared to things that run on objectively superior hardware.

Weak compared to a high-end PC, sure. But I don't see why that matters.

Me too.

But it will get tougher. Now at times I just run away from fights because shit can get absolutely bonkers. Absolutely fucking bonkers.

I barely made it through a fight against 4 Corrupted Scrappers and 3 Glinthawks last night. Didn't help when my Broadhead got corrupted during the fight.

First time fighting them, but it didn't take long to figure out.....Glinthawks are assholes.

OK someone pls upload a video of fighting shellwalkers. I just can't fight those properly and They cost me so much healing items.

Even at the end (level 50), i still found them tough to fight mostly because they tend to be close together. I think they tend to placed in the game so you can raid their treasure and then run away.

Loving all the impressions I'm reading so far. The problem (nice problem to have) of having an early copy is that there wasn't as much of a discussion happening. Tempted to replay Horizon. Had such a good time with it.

It's the same post process AA solution on both. A post process AA solution on a lower resolution will inherently be blurrier and less capable than the same solution at higher resolution. Additionally you have better AF and texture resolution leading to even more crispness over 1080P mode.

The same post process AA on both doesn't necessarily alleviate what I'm talking about. I've downsampled games on PC and sometimes, downsampling a game from a higher resolution without an AA solution is better for the image quality than downsampling with an AA solution (depends on what the solution is too).

nOoblet16

That's cool. I much prefer the method in something like Deus Ex which is pretty much crystal clear.
Umm...Deus Ex uses an artificial sharpening filter, that's why it looks "crisp". But it is by far one of the worst sharpen filter in any game out there due to how strong it is and how much artifacting it causes. You can increase sharpen in your TV's settings and you'll get a similar effect in Horizon.

It's not that other games look blurrier, it's that Deus Ex artificially sharpens the image beyond what's normal for that resolution and that isn't really a good thing.

Anarky

Banned
I just wanted to ask how the side quests in the game are like?

Are they more like Witcher 3's own or are they closer to something like DA:I?

Umm...Deus Ex uses an artificial sharpening filter, that's why it looks "crisp". But it is by far one of the worst sharpen filter in any game out there due to how strong it is and how much artifacting it causes. You can increase sharpen in your TV's settings and you'll get a similar effect in Horizon.

It's not that other games look blurrier, it's that Deus Ex artificially sharpens the image beyond what's normal for that resolution and that isn't really a good thing.

That's not the only game that looks better to me. Ratchet & Clank also. There's a few.

*shrugs* I'm flicking between the two modes right now and the difference isn't that big.

nelchaar

I played an hour yesterday and got through the young Aloy part, did a side quest as older Aloy. I'm absolutely having a great time so far. Now to do this Proving and see if I can get answers about my mother. Playing on Very Hard, by the way.

Ashly Burch is doing a great job voicing Aloy, but I still hear Chloe from Life is Strange whenever she speaks.

I knew I recognized that voice!!!!!

nOoblet16

The same post process AA on both doesn't necessarily alleviate what I'm talking about. I've downsampled games on PC and sometimes, downsampling a game from a higher resolution without an AA solution is better for the image quality than downsampling with an AA solution (depends on what the solution is too).
Let me put it this way, at higher resolution the post process AA interferes far less than it does at lower resolution. A downsampled mage with no post process AA will obviously look crisper than a downsamplefrom image with post process AA. But we are not talking about that are we? Cause that's pretty much a given.

We are talking about downsampled image with post process vs non downsampled image with the same post process. The post process AA will have to work with less information leading to more aggressive results. I have never seen an example where the non downsampled image ends up sharper than the downsampled image (provided everything else stays the same between those two)...it just doesn't make sense.

I just wanted to ask how the side quests in the game are like?

Are they more like Witcher 3's own or are they closer to something like DA:I?

There are a few fetch-type quests, but in general I'd say it leans more in the Witcher 3 direction for side quests. Maybe not AS involved as some of the biggest side quests in the Witcher 3, but definitely more crafted than just empty filler quests.

This game is a lot of fun. I'm finally at the point where I'm just forgetting about quests and just wandering off and ending up in some cool places.

I barely made it through a fight against 4 Corrupted Scrappers and 3 Glinthawks last night. Didn't help when my Broadhead got corrupted during the fight.

First time fighting them, but it didn't take long to figure out.....Glinthawks are assholes.
For me I fought a two ravages... Was holding on fine and then 4 shellwalkers showed up. Dodged, hit at them with all I've got when suddenly two scrappers came.

Thank God for managing to shoot off and use the ravagers weapons, if not I wouldn't have survived that fight.

Most impressive thing though? I don't think the frame rate dropped when all hell broke loose.

Anarky

Banned
There are a few fetch-type quests, but in general I'd say it leans more in the Witcher 3 direction for side quests. Maybe not AS involved as some of the biggest side quests in the Witcher 3, but definitely more crafted than just empty filler quests.

That's good to hear.

I'm really wrapped up in this one. Straight hooked.
The story, the world, Aloy, and the combat.

There's too much to love in this one. Feels like a Christmas game, since I'm sinking so much time into it without a care in the world.

Apathy

The more I keep playing horizon, the more I look back at the USGamer review and see how wrong it was. I get different people have different opinions, but then why put someone that clearly doesn't like open world games on it. Hell, I'm not even a big open world fan as i get distracted way too easily and it takes me forever to do the main quests, but the story here actually is making me hit up the major story and keep going.

Let me put it this way, at higher resolution the post process AA interferes far less than it does at lower resolution. A downsampled mage with no post process AA will obviously look crisper than a downsamplefrom image with post process AA. But we are not talking about that are we? Cause that's pretty much a given.

We are talking about downsampled image with post process vs non downsampled image with the same post process. The post process AA will have to work with less information leading to more aggressive results. I have never seen an example where the non downsampled image ends up sharper than the downsampled image (provided everything else stays the same between those two)...it just doesn't make sense.

When I say sharper, I'm not talking about the overall image but rather the edges. So let me put it another way, as a matter of preference I hate something like FXAA for example.

In this instance of Horizon, I prefer the edges of the performance mode which have more aliasing but are less softer than the resolution mode. I'm not talking about the entire image quality, as that's improved in resolution mode. But rather I prefer the edge clarity of the performance mode.

And even otherwise, the differences in image quality in certain locations are imperceptible. I've changed the settings mid dialogue with NPCs and can't find much difference, even in the coverage of aliasing.

Man, what did I just do? I got rid of my bow with the fire and got this shitty freeze and shock bow( Carja war bow) this shit is awful. I'm getting my ass handed to me with this bullshit ass bow.

My two favorite games of this gen so far, this is cool of CDPR! I do see some ideas borrowed from the witcher in Horizon.

They definitely did borrow from the witcher 3. There are some things about horizon I wish CDPR would borrow as well. Mainly how fluid aloy's controls feel.

That's because Guerrilla hired a few CDPR developers to work on Horizon :p

http://n4g.com/news/1741694/guerril...3-veterans-for-its-rumored-ps4-open-world-rpg

The writing for the side quests can be decent but I think I'm going to close my eyes every time there's a conversation cause of how bad some of the facial animations are.

Main quest is find in that department. For the most part

Man, what did I just do? I got rid of my bow with the fire and got this shitty freeze and shock bow( Carja war bow) this shit is awful. I'm getting my ass handed to me with this bullshit ass bow.

Different bows do different things. The war bow is for status inflictions. There's 3 different bows in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom