• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unknown?

Okay I honestly have always had a disdain for open world games. Loved them when Driver2/GTA3 came around but grew stale shortly after for me. Never had close to as much fun in newer GTAs, Far Cry, Skyrim, etc as I have in linear games. But this game... this game is so fricking addicting! I can't stop playing it and it's rare when I sit down and play for hours.

breakfuss

Tripwire is OP!

source.gif

Holy shiiiiit. I'm only now realizing that's probably how I should be approaching the fight in cauldron sigma! I have been stuck for nearly a day trying to defeat that thing.

Holy shiiiiit. I'm only now realizing that's probably how I should be approaching the fight in cauldron sigma! I have been stuck for nearly a day trying to defeat that thing.

If you're at the end of that and want tips.

I walled one section of the area off with tip wires, and then climbed the closest tower to start the fight. You should then be surrounded by your trip wires. This should help you kill off the main guys' support and then use traps to kill him. I place the trap, dance around his fire shots, left and right, but I try to stay centered on the trap. He'll eventually charge into the trap and you can R1 for CH. I did this on Hard difficulty.

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
I'm shocked the meta is only 88 tbh.

Easily a 9 but it's been my favourite open world game this gen so far so I don't know. The Witcher III is a 9 for me. Others that I really liked were Arkham Knight and Metal Gear Solid V but all three games had some features that frustrated me a lot. Horizon so far has anything that I dislike with a passion (combat and some tedious missions in Witcher, Tank Mobile in Batman, Story and Chapter 2 repetitive missions in MGS V).

Same.

I love it. It's a 10 for me and my favorite SP game since TLOU. My wife, who only plays Lego Harry Potter on 3DS and Diablo, just told me that she wants me to teach her how to play this.

Sounds great guys. Looking forward to play this soon!

J-Skee

I walled one section of the area off with tip wires, and then climbed the closest tower to start the fight. You should then be surrounded by your trip wires. This should help you kill off the main guys' support and then use traps to kill him. I place the trap, dance around his fire shots, left and right, but I try to stay centered on the trap. He'll eventually charge into the trap and you can R1 for CH. I did this on Hard difficulty.

I didn't even know you could do critical hits until I just saw that gif. I've been doing it so wrong.

Tyaren

So for you guys who's been playing this, how do you guys rate this game so far??

I'm shocked the meta is only 88 tbh.

That USGamer 50% score did apparently mess up the score completely and irreparably.

I'm actually loving it. :) I feel the sense of wonder, excitement and immersion that I had with games like The Witcher 3 and that I missed for a long time afterwards, for example in FFXV sadly.
I am especially loving the world and its tribes and lore. It is imo astounding what Guerilla Games have created here. It's all so beautiful, intriguing and polished. Wait till you see Meridian...just wow.

Mifune

Mehmber
So far my favorite thing about the game is how exploration is its own reward. There's usually some bit of lore or mod or loot that provides the practical reason for exploring but I find that the world is so beautiful and brilliantly designed that I like to set off on foot for some far-off locale just cuz.

That USGamer 50% score did apparently mess it up completely.

I'm actually loving it. :) I feel the sense of wonder and excitement that I had with games like the Witcher 3 and that missed a Long time afterwards, for example in FFXV sadly.
I am especially loving the world and its tribes and lore. It is imo astounding what Guerilla Games have created here. It's all so beautiful, intriguing and polished. Wait till you see Meridian...just wow.
I made two 20 foot tall robot dinosaurs fight eachother while a 200 foot tall one walked around in the background. Every new enemy and encounter feels like something I've never seen in a game before. To top it off the story is intriguing, the protagonist is awesome, and it's the best graphics I've ever seen.

No way that game is getting less than a 9 from me. And a 5/10... huh. To each their own I suppose.

B.O.O.M

So far my favorite thing about the game is how exploration is its own reward. There's usually some bit of lore or mod or loot that provides the practical reason for exploring but I find that the world is so beautiful and brilliantly designed that I like to set off on foot for some far-off locale just cuz.

I spend way too much time just running around

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
That USGamer 50% score did apparently mess up the score completely and irreparably.

I'm actually loving it. :) I feel the sense of wonder, excitement and immersion that I had with games like The Witcher 3 and that I missed for a long time afterwards, for example in FFXV sadly.

Just what I needed to hear! W3 was pure magic so if its near that good.. shit I need to finish Nioh!!

mokeyjoe

I've only just got to Meridian so I'm not very far in, but so far I've been highly impressed with how well paced this game is. It's a huge open world game that rattles along with the pace of a linear action-adventure. Even when you wander off to explore and mess around in the environment you still feel that there's purpose and direction to it. Nothing so far has been at all slow, or boring, it never seems to drag at all.

I've seen some criticisms that it borrows too much from other open world games, and while those mechanics are in there, they feel streamlined and minor - just supporting structures to what the game is really about: combat and story (including the fantastic setting). This is just a really fun game to play. So much so that I don't even mind dying, or redoing things. Each combat situation can pan out in all sorts of ways, it's all beautifully dynamic and satisfying. I hope there's an NG+, and if not, then I hope they add one.

My collector's edition arrived in the morning at 9am, now it is 22:00 and i can't stop playing! From gameplay to story, sound, quest design Horizon is a near perfect game imo! Loved all KZ games and with Horizon, GG has cemented themselves in my top 3 all favorite developers.

PS
USGamer is now a site i do not trust!

This game is so fucking good. I had to go back and read how somebody gave this game a 50% ( F-)... I came away convinced the person who wrote that review doesn't actually enjoy playing video games. I understand we all have opinions and they are different and varying. But questioning things like, "i don't understand Aloy would want to do any side quests" is just odd.

Not sure if people know this, but you can slide under a charging dino and use the spear light attack to damage the blaze cans.

Works great if you're wearing the melee protection armor.

Tripwire was the only way I could beat that thing.

I can't wait for the work day to be over and to get back to this game

It was funny that when I was in
the first Cauldron
I set the whole place with cables and when I triggered the battle the little Watcher Compys ate them all... at least they died really quick that way and I only had to focus on the Bellowback. It was tough though.

Is there a complete story synopsis anywhere? Not going to play this but just curious what the plot is.

Why not just watch a full cut scene "movie" of the game instead? Granted it's 6 hours just from a preliminary youtube search, but the cinematics are great and the storytelling from these cut scenes are great too.

B.O.O.M

Not sure if people know this, but you can slide under a charging dino and use the spear light attack to damage the blaze cans.

Works great if you're wearing the melee protection armor.

I know it but I have yet to try it.

Also killing non-machine animals feels bad mang. Dat blood splatter is kind of fked up

Yep, first tallneck area I spent a good hour just wandering around looking for the vantage point with absolutely no complaints. It was fantastic.

LadyRiven

Thank you! I'm gonna go back in tomorrow and try again after I get the healing skills I wanted, and practice with tripwires more (lol). I watched some videos but this is the most specific tip I've seen so far so I appreciate it.

sora87

Holy shit i am terrible at these hunter trials, guess it doesn't help when the logs don't fall when they're supposed to after being blasted. Guess i'll skip them.

Is there any reason to hold on to the reward boxes or should I just open them right away?

I LOVE the time of day slider in photomode, such a small addition that makes a huge difference. I would have spent so much time taking photos if that had been in Forza Horizon 3.

Playsage

Two terrible low scoring reviews have dragged the Meta down.

My collector's edition arrived in the morning at 9am, now it is 22:00 and i can't stop playing! From gameplay to story, sound, quest design Horizon is a near perfect game imo! Loved all KZ games and with Horizon, GG has cemented themselves in my top 3 all favorite developers.

PS
USGamer is now a site i do not trust!
To be fair, without that score it would just get closer to 89

Holy shit i am terrible at these hunter trials, guess it doesn't help when the logs don't fall when they're supposed to after being blasted. Guess i'll skip them.

Yeah, least favourite thing about this game, I'll save it for post game. I don't like time trials and stuff.

They are super easy once you get the hang of it. I got all blazing suns first or second try, not hard at all.

For the logs, you can shoot them down with normal arrows from a distance. Just throw a bomb at the herd and they will run to the passage between the logs, shoot arrows at the 4 log stacks and you're done in under a minute.

Neoweee

How goes Very Hard for people far along? I'm about 12 hours in, trucking along. Sigma's boss fight was stupidly hard, but the rest is fun, exciting, and well-balanced as long as I don't end up in the jank fest of melee combat.

Chasing that herd of grazers in the first trial was absolutely exhilarating, though. And the times you have to hit are generous.

Yeah it's pretty simple in that regard. But again, I don't like doing things against the clock. :/

I'll probably do it though, I can see myself getting everything out of this game.

crazyprac

There's a bit of animation delay I think. Use a lob or anything to scare them from behind and funnel them to the ravine. My time was like 20 secs or something. Easy peasy.

Ferrio

Banned
The awesomeness of finding a long neck for the first time only to find out
they're a god damned cliche Ubisoft tower for map reveal. What a total letdown.

To be fair, without that score it would just get closer to 89

I was reffering to how the reviewer did the review. Most of her cons were comming from her not liking the game in general. For me a game should be reviewed based on what it does good and what it does not. Her review seemed like she did not liked the game before even playing it and giving the game 2.5 from 5 max is just ridiculous imo, given how many things the game does right.

It would have been at 90 or above without the two reviews from USGamer and GameCritics, afaik.

I find harder to understand how MGS V is at 9.3, a game with more obvious problems and conflicting decisions that should divide more people... it had a better overall appeal on reviewers. I don't know...

Edit: GameCritics gave it a 6.0 so they are pretty consistent on their open world reviews post The Witcher III: MGS V 6.0, FFXV 6.0, Horizon 6.5. Damn, The Witcher ruined gaming for them.

sora87

They are super easy once you get the hang of it. I got all blazing suns first or second try, not hard at all.

For the logs, you can shoot them down with normal arrows from a distance. Just throw a bomb at the herd and they will run to the passage between the logs, shoot arrows at the 4 log stacks and you're done in under a minute.

Hmm i tried shooting them with normal arrows too and nothing happened, strange.

I just did the second trials and it's even much harder.

The one where you have to
shoot off 10 canisters in under 1.30
is just impossible, took me about 5 minutes lol. No chance i'll even bother with the second trials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom