• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyaren

This is the only open world game ever that I really enjoy travelling in at night. It's so beautiful and serene:

33159044006_36dd1965be_o.png

33032919891_f9c06d3a36_o.png

32345284233_49de69c7e2_o.png

ajanke

What side quest?
I went back there, there was nothing except for a commentary by Aloy, a bit of visual difference and an item that is required for end game gear.

it was probably
the quest for the end game gear. He probably hadn't found that gear location yet so when he got the item for that quest it popped.

nOoblet16

Cauldrons are fucking awesome. Just finished the first one.

Also I think I'm very overleveled lol. 18 already and the main quests are still at 12.

Level in this game doesn't really make that much of a difference, your stats don't really change that much to affect anything. What might make a difference are the skills.
I finished the last mission which was level 34 as a level 22...if you want something for reference.

Level in this game doesn't really make that much of a difference, your stats don't really change that much to affect anything. What might make a difference are the skills.
I finished the last mission which was level 34 as a level 22...if you want something for reference.

What difficulty were you playing on bud?

I'm level 33 on hard and I'm doing all the side quests. I haven't gotten to the city the game is telling me to go to, but I can get wrecked pretty easily if I'm not planning my attack.

nOoblet16

This is the only open world game ever that I really enjoy travelling in at night. It's so beautiful and serene:

33159044006_36dd1965be_o.png

33032919891_f9c06d3a36_o.png

32345284233_49de69c7e2_o.png

If only those damn leaves moved when you moved through them rather than clipping through in an obvious fashion. Don't even want physics based movement, just a little shake and wiggle while you pass through. My biggest disappointment, followed by water which has the same issue of little to no feedback (sometimes you don't even get splashing sound).

cooldawn

I might get a pasting for saying this but...why are the midnight hours so bright? I turned down brightness to 0% in the settings (I usually do that with every game anyway) and still, everything is clear as day.

It's horrid. I don't understand it. There seems to be not a single part of the ground that isn't blacked-out from the darkness.

Why do developers do this?

hydruxo

Yeah I was kind of unsure how I'd feel about night time when I started playing due to the greenish filter, but man as great as screens look, it looks absolutely mindblowing in action. Games like Witcher 3 or Skyrim I found myself meditating/resting to change the time of day , but in Horizon any time of day is a treat.

ajanke

I might get a pasting for saying this but...why are the midnight hours so bright? I turned down brightness to 0% in the settings (I usually do that with every game anyway) and still, everything is clear as day.

It's horrid. I don't understand it. There seems to be not a single part of the ground that isn't blacked-out from the darkness.

Why do developers do this?

The moon is bright. But It really depends on where you are at. If you're in a heavily wooded area it's super dark. I've been in places where I was having trouble seeing where I was at it was so dark. I have the brightness down pretty far too.

nOoblet16

What difficulty were you playing on bud?

I'm level 33 on hard and I'm doing all the side quests. I haven't gotten to the city the game is telling me to go to, but I can get wrecked pretty easily if I'm not planning my attack.
Hard I didn't say anything about not planning attacks, only said levels don't really matter since your damage depends on other things rather than level. The only damage that is somehow related to levels is melee damage as you need to upgrade the skill tree for max melee damage. Even taking down multiple robots at once isn't that big of a deal, tear arrows, traps and ropes will make easy work out of the biggest and baddest robot. And once you get the ability to shoot 3 arrows at once your DPS becomes even more ridiculous.

I mean I am level 37 something and my max health is like 560 or around that, that isn't really that much higher than what it was at the start of the game and you get to carry tons of healing items like in addition to your health bar you can get 3 additional health bars, plus several health potions, then you have the armour which is level independent as well.

Toni

The only resource I never have is wire , I just want to craft my good arrows 😭😭😭

Kill a lot of wildlfe, mainly turkeys and boars and grab the "rare" resources that pop up usually with each kill. Keep doing this constantly until you stock up and run out of space for Resources.

*Make sure you upgrade your Resource satchel/space in the crafting menu to pull this off*

Then;

>Go to a merchant, trade them for shards
>Buy an almost infinite amount of Wire

The the green and blue "rare" resources that wildlife drops gives you a crapton of metal shards from merchants. I stock up 1,800 metal shards in 1 trip.

I bought almost all weapons and all armors after attainig so much metal shards lol

Loving this game. I've been mainly a stalker using stealth kills, but I got a little careless yesterday and took down about six machines at once and it was exhilarating.

Toni

By the way, Aloy's commentary of her surroundings during exploration with the majority of the UI turned off is amazing.

Seriosuly. I hated how Geralt did it because his voice is static snd lifeless.

Aloy is actually funny & shows emotion in her lines.

She oozes sympathy.

Cauldrons are fucking awesome. Just finished the first one.

Also I think I'm very overleveled lol. 18 already and the main quests are still at 12.

I just got to the first one and it's pretty cool. I'm working from home and instead of working I'm playing this game so I'm gonna put it down for now and continue the Cauldron tonight.

Kalentan

I encountered my first 'little' glitch.

Found Captain Balahn's men. Even mentions it when I talk to him... Yet when I leave the conversation with him, he still is telling me to go find his men.

Don't know about anyone else, but my game has been glitchy as fuck. First I got trapped in Mothers Watch when the gates closed while I was still inside (turned out to be a good thing since I missed the energy cell there and managed to go get it) and then I got trapped in geometry while doing the Brom side quest. Ended up having to waste two fast travel packs to get out of both situations

Flandy

What difference does weight make on an outfit? Looking at Banuk Sickness Eater Light and Medium and they both appear to be the same except for the weight and rarity. Light is a lot cheaper though.

Please as Guerilla and the devs to add a character viewer to catch all the details in the humand and robots models in all outfirts and situations like the one in Uncharted 4 and Arkham Knight. I really wanted to have one since Killzone Shadow Fall.
The more we ask the betetr chances we get one ain a futureupdate.

MaKTaiL

Oh my god guys, I just stumbled on my first Thunderjaw. IT'S GIGANTIC. Holy shit! The cool thing is that I started to notice the ground shaking. I was on top of a mountain on a rainy day, visibility was low. I looked below and I could see the tip of pine trees moving and being taken down in the middle of a forest. Curiosity got to me and I started decending to the location to see what was happening. That's when I saw it, larger than anything I've seen in the game so far.

This game guys, THIS GAME!

The depth if field is something else..

I literally just took the same screenshot, hahahaha.

fFBnPGz.jpg

I'm loving the overall quality of the game, it looks amazing, performs great, gameplay is varied and fun, story is intriguing and I'm only about 5 hours in. Aloy also seems to be a well-written and well- acted character.

Browsing this thread while working is a poor substitute for playing but it's all I have...

TalonJH

I haven't been playing too long but I am taking my time and doing side quest. I just cleared the
proving
(stopped last night at the next big fight) and I am really enjoying this story. That kind of surprises me. I expected a good story, just not a story where I can't wait to see what happens. I do have my gripes, though. Fighting humans is kinda annoying so far.

sorry for a question that has inevitably been asked a lot but for the best graphics on a 1080p screen i want to select 'favor performance', right?

Favor resolution is definitely the way to go. It's not a huge boost in IQ, but it's definitely better. This game has insane IQ in favor performance mode.

Look at the difference in texture on the rocks (might help to open each image in a new tab and flick back and forth):
7gRlrCr.jpg

yni7jhF.jpg

Just did the first cauldron, so awesome

Question now: Do I pick an outfit for perks or do I pick what looks cool? The stealth outfit seems like the most useful for my playstyle but the rare ice one looks really cool (even if I haven't even experienced freeze damage yet)

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I need a sawtooth heart. But i can't see sawtooths on my map. Can someone please tell me where to find one.

Kumquat

Don't play this game heavily medicated. I did the whole proving sequence kinda in a daze and then
When I picked up the machine gun and was mowing people down my mind went all flippity doo and I was like, Am I still play HZD?!?

Great and lovely game. Loving it so far and definately feeling the Witcher vibes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom