• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaaz

Holy shit i am terrible at these hunter trials, guess it doesn't help when the logs don't fall when they're supposed to after being blasted. Guess i'll skip them.

It also doesn't help that when I try to spook the grazers in the first trial, they always seem to run towards me instead of away from me. I got lucky though and managed to complete all three with Blazing Suns or whatever they call the gold metal.

Experien

That
mole like boss in the quarry
was pretty bs. Only thing I have disliked about the game so far and I am 20 hours in. Its splash damage had me getting hit when it is clearly 5 feet away. Very disappointing in an otherwise very polished game.

Hmm i tried shooting them with normal arrows too and nothing happened, strange.

The one where you have to
shoot off 10 canisters in under 1.30
is just impossible, took me about 5 minutes lol. No chance i'll even bother with the second trials.

Shoot the back of the log stack.

The canister trial is not hard at all. If you're having trouble with the timer, use a freeze bomb first, make sure you have concentration unlocked for the slow down aim and you should be able to pop off 4-5 cans before the freeze wears off.

Alternatively, you can place a shock trap in the direction the herd runs for and get the rest of the cans when they are stunned.

molnizzle

Holy shit i am terrible at these hunter trials, guess it doesn't help when the logs don't fall when they're supposed to after being blasted. Guess i'll skip them.

Try doing the one where you have to spook them into running into your blast wires. Absolutely no way to predict which way they're gonna run, even if you use the blast sling. Sometimes they run away from you, sometimes they run towards you, sometimes they run in a random direction, sometimes some of them attack.

Absolute bullshit AI going on here.

Okay, so I'm on the left part of the map now and am doing the quest which actually says to go to Meridian (not a spoiler since you've been trying to get there, but now a quest actually tells me to go there and shows me where it is). Level 15. But:

Okay, so I first think I'll go to a tallneck south of me and make that my quest. Nope, a bunch of powerful dinos I've never seen are there. They look like alligators and flying animals. So I change the quest to going to Meridian. I'm thinking, "How is this a level 12 quest with all these powerful robots?" Then I realize if I follow the markers, I'll bypass the high-level enemies. So I'm going along the path, I kill some bandits, and then I see some huge fucking robot in the background. I get a focus on it: Level 27 Thunderjaw.

post-71776-stormtroopers-nope-gif-imgur-S-4YIz.gif

But then I see that there are ledges I can hide behind. So I duck and creep behind the ledges, past the thunderjaw and I get to a campfire.

And now I'm really seeing how they built this game: it's an open-world, but it's not empty space. Each area with enemies has an environment you can use to your benefit. It's like you have levels within the map. So for the Thunderjaw, yeah, I can't wait to fight him. But for now, it's an arena that I'm usually to stealth by and nothing more.

I played an hour yesterday and got through the young Aloy part, did a side quest as older Aloy. I'm absolutely having a great time so far. Now to do this Proving and see if I can get answers about my mother. Playing on Very Hard, by the way.

Ashly Burch is doing a great job voicing Aloy, but I still hear Chloe from Life is Strange whenever she speaks.

"That sawtooth was hella tough, shaka brah."

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Yeah what the fuck, not finishing the game is ridiculous.

Disclosures: Approximately 18 hours of play were devoted to the single-player mode, and the game was not completed. There are no multiplayer modes.

lol I'll commend them for being honest, but this reviewer can take a fucking hike. 18 hours. GTFO

LuuKyK

After completing the game I am baffled someone even found enough reasons to give a game like this a fucking 5 out of 10. You would imagine this game is trash when in fact it simply does everything extremely well. Just bizarre really. I tried really hard to understand her reasons but I can't.

Anyway, the ending I felt was indeed a little bit underwhelming, it was not bad, but to me the game peaked in the intro to the mid part where stuff was getting revealed and such.
I expected a big fight in the end against a new enemy but it was cool seeing everyone together fighting it anyway.

Great great game. Hopefully we have a sequel in a shorter span of time.

Xyber

is just impossible, took me about 5 minutes lol. No chance i'll even bother with the second trials.

Wat.

That took barely 30 seconds for me. Got like half of them before they even started running and then you just ran after and popped the last ones. :p

Only challenge that has given me some trouble (out of the 2 first sets of trials) was the tripwire one, because they never fucking ran where I wanted them to! First time I was prepared in the middle path because I thought they would go there, they didn't. Second time I put them where they ran the first time, but of course they just ran straight towards me then instead. Third time they finally did what I wanted them to do and it was over in a few seconds after I scared them.

Disclosures: Approximately 18 hours of play were devoted to the single-player mode, and the game was not completed. There are no multiplayer modes.

lol I'll commend them for being honest, but this reviewer can take a fucking hike. 18 hours. GTFO

After completing the game I am baffled someone even found enough reasons to give a game like this a fucking 5 out of 10. You would imagine this game is trash when in fact it simply does everything extremely well. Just bizarre really. I tried really hard to understand her reasons but I can't.

Anyway, the ending I felt was indeed a little bit underwhelming, it was not bad, but to me the game peaked in the intro to the mid part where stuff was getting revealed and such.
I expected a big fight in the end against a new enemy but it was cool seeing everyone together fighting it anyway.

Great great game. Hopefully we have a sequel in a shorter span of time.

Yeah this is why it annoys me, I don't generally give a shit about things like metacritic. But to review a game that you haven't even completed.... that is a joke. At most in that case, give your written feedback and just write "Incomplete" as the review score.

ike_

I played nearly 10 hours straight yesterday and barely got any sleep, from level 17 to 24 dinking around doing side stuff and exploring mostly. Apparently if you drop Lara Croft in Xenoblade Chronicles X you end up with a game I can't stop playing.

Weird because the Far Cry games never clicked with me on any level really, even Blood Dragon. Maybe I should give FC4 another chance after it stops raining games.

That one is super easy.

Get the bow that does high damage but fires slow, forget what it's called. Hide in grass. Snipe. They don't run away because you'll be hidden from so far away.

--

Yea, the Gamecritic review is a joke.

DeaDPo0L84

I am in love with this game from top to bottom. 22 hours in and level 28 and I only just got to a newer area. I still get somewhat confused between weapons. After getting the shadow hunter/sharpshooter bow I don't feel the hunters has any relevance outside of the fire arrows. The sharpshooter bow does everything better. I guess the hunter bow fires faster and cheaper on resources but meh. Also I keep getting confused between when to shoot a tear arrow or raw damage one. Certain enemies you can shoot the plating off to reveal the inside but I don't exactly know how to tell when.

Kin5290

Tearblast arrows from the Carja Sharpshot bow can knock off multiple components with a single arrow.

Kalentan

Even when you slow down time to aim it can be somewhat hard to hit stuff. So many human and machine enemies move their heads so much that by the time your arrow arrives they would have moved slightly and it misses.

PJV3

I'm enjoying it so far and I usually don't enjoy this type of game that much. It looks lovely and ignoring the slightly odd facial stuff the story is good as well.

oh yeah, and how do i call my mount after a certain point? it used up be a quick d-pad launch, but since I've been exploring a while it seems to have disappeared?

silva1991

Just make sure they are running infront of you and slowdown time with jumping and shoot.

That's what I did and it worked.

oh yeah, and how do i call my mount after a certain point? it used up be a quick d-pad launch, but since I've been exploring a while it seems to have disappeared?

I don't think you can at this point. Just get another one.

Neoweee

That
mole like boss in the quarry
was pretty bs. Only thing I have disliked about the game so far and I am 20 hours in. Its splash damage had me getting hit when it is clearly 5 feet away. Very disappointing in an otherwise very polished game.

Poor hitboxes are my biggest concern with recommending higher difficulty levels to people. Flame & Charge attacks are extremely generous in the enemy's favor, while projectile attacks are somewhat generous in the player's favor.

black070

Decided to go back to the starting area for a quick sweep before diving in any further and happened upon a hole in the ground that I fell into which kicked off its own side quest - this game.

giphy.gif

ajanke

Decided to go back to the starting area for a quick sweep before diving in any further and happened upon a hole in the ground that I fell into which kicked off its own side quest - this game.

giphy.gif

While you're there stop by
your old campsite if you haven't since the proving.

sora87

Wat.

That took barely 30 seconds for me. Got like half of them before they even started running and then you just ran after and popped the last ones. :p

Only challenge that has given me some trouble (out of the 2 first sets of trials) was the tripwire one, because they never fucking ran where I wanted them to! First time I was prepared in the middle path because I thought they would go there, they didn't. Second time I put them where they ran the first time, but of course they just ran straight towards me then instead. Third time they finally did what I wanted them to do and it was over in a few seconds after I scared them.

Yeah, i am terrible at aiming with a controller so i'm mostly missing them, running after them, getting 1, they all bail, i run after, miss, chase them etc.
I appreciate all the people telling me to use tripwires etc. but I've moved on now, not really too fussed about completing them! Also i couldn't even try the third one because I have to buy a certain tripwire weapon but i already have one... erm haha.

Ferrio

Banned
Can't say I'm impressed with the game as much as others, hoping the game picks up or something because there's no way I'll finish it if it keeps on like this. Not far into the game I guess, just went and retrieved some weed that some bandits stole.

nOoblet16

giphy.gif

What side quest?
I went back there, there was nothing except for a commentary by Aloy, a bit of visual difference and an item that is required for end game gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom