• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
WOAH wtf I went to this vantage point north of the map and I got a cut scene and a huge fight.

Mile High Stadium fight?

If so, if you were on quest, I think it triggers it
Might be something completely different

So I find a nice farming place

At least 30+ Robots within a 10 mile radius (5-10 minute trek)

Near Banuk Encampment, further down below from Sanctuary, look left side of map, its dead end area with lakes. It has Glinthawks and Lancerhorns.

Lancerhorns give you 525 per +40/for sneak kill, so 565xp
Flints give you roughly +1000xp per kill, I sneak attack tgem , hopefully a crit, then mask Heavy Lance attack and lower their health to minuscule and fire arrow them to death

There's roughly 20+ Lancers, 5-9 Glints, 4+ Watchers, 4+ Scrappers

In say 15 minute of running around I made 40,000xp
Not bad if you need a few levels to buff up

Also I get sidetracked to much in this fucking game!
From Hunting Grounds, chasing wildlife, foraging, side quests longer than main quests (lol)

I'm already Fucking level 30 with 15,000 Metal Shards and I'm up to reaching
Day tower
main quest lol

To much fun farming and killing...

I don't feel like Horizon is a game you need to grind XP for. Plenty of XP from just regular creatures running around the world and quests. I never did it.

Mile High Stadium fight?

haha. Fighting the
corrupted Bellowback near the stadium vantage point
- that was so fucking good.

I love the corrupted zone fights. plenty of challenge in them always.

nOoblet16

This is not the spoiler thread. Please spoiler tag you post.

I don't think it's a spoiler. Me saying it's like xyz does not mean it's xyz with that functionality. Every RPG has endgame armour and it's also usually the best armour, saying that is hardly spoilery. Infact people here have openly commented on that armour and no one raised any alarms. Wrt the visual differences between the armour in this game, I don't see how that's a spoiler as well since it's apparent to anyone who is playing the game right now and this too people have commented upon and discussed on in this very thread.

I don't think it's necessary to spoiler tag such stuff, take the quote in the first comment in this page for example. Something like that would be revealing more about the "surprises" this game offers than whatever I said, yet it's not really a spoiler I guess since at the end of the day how to get there/get it/and what it actually is, is still something people have to figure out and come across on their own while playing it. It's vague enough to not spoil anything while still allowing for a reasonable discussion, otherwise this thread will be just full of spoiler tags and screenshots.

valkyre

I know it has been said like a zillion times in this thread but i really really have to pitch in...

I cannot believe how good this game looks... its simply incredible... its an open world game and i swear to God I havent played a better looking game whether it is linear, on rails , whatever...

The amount of detail the textures the animation the effects the draw distance the geometry ...

No other game, not even UC4 makes me feel like Horizon does... it is as close to CGI as it has ever been for me. Aloy's model in fact, the way it lit the amount of polygons, its straight up CGI stuff.

I marvel at this thing and to me it the first true "next gen" looking game.

I find it hard to believe just how this game is possible on a console. Just wow.

Lime

Oh my god I just climbed the second vantage point in the ruins while the sun was setting. Seriously such an amazing experience. I'm almost about to cry :O

SDCowboy

I've got to say, as the game goes on, and the enemies start to get more involved (and take longer) to kill, combined with the item harvest grind, the game is starting to walk the line on being a chore to me now. I'm still having fun, but it's starting to drag for me, a bit. I'm hoping it's just the area I'm in now.

Mile High Stadium fight?

King's Peak
is the name of the vantage point. I fought a S
tormbird
and now I went all the way and I see there is a ruin but I can't find the entrance. Is this quest related?

Doing a google search it looks like I'm at the
The Mountain that Fell
. Is this a later quest? I haven't been to the city that starts with a M.

nOoblet16

Works best with mounts because you can override the first to make it main one, get off, summon it, and then get on the second, and the first will still follow you

Do they?
I got that skill that lets you get a mount without bothering about overriding asapcause it was a pain in the ass to find a mount after every cutscene. So I never spent much time overriding them. The mounts themselves seem surprisingly powerful but they don't hold a candle to the war robots, they just do so much damage.

So I just got a PS4 Pro and tested it out on my dad's 4k Samsung. Tried toggling back and forth between resolution and performance mode. Couldn't notice really any difference between the two so I hit display on my tv's remote to bring up the resolution info and to my surprise for both modes it said it was running at 2160p. What gives? I thought performance mode limited to 1080p? Now that I think of it there was literally no transition when selecting either mode. On pc when changing resolution for example you can expect to see a black screen for a few seconds before the resolution changes. on PS4 it is instantaneous. Is it even switching resolutions? Has anyone else noticed this on their Pro's with Horizon?

Mifune

Mehmber
I don't think it's a spoiler. Me saying it's like xyz does not mean it's xyz with that functionality. Every RPG has endgame armour and it's also usually the best armour, saying that is hardly spoilery. Infact people here have openly commented on that armour and no one raised any alarms. Wrt the visual differences between the armour in this game, I don't see how that's a spoiler as well since it's apparent to anyone who is playing the game right now and this too people have commented upon and discussed on in this very thread.

I don't think it's necessary to spoiler tag such stuff, take the quote in the first comment in this page for example. Something like that would be revealing more about the "surprises" this game offers than whatever I said, yet it's not really a spoiler I guess since at the end of the day how to get there/get it/and what it actually is, is still something people have to figure out and come across on their own while playing it. It's vague enough to not spoil anything while still allowing for a reasonable discussion, otherwise this thread will be just full of spoiler tags and screenshots.

You could go back and spoiler tag. But nah, just be a dick because you don't agree that it's a spoiler.

hqxfsR2.gif

icespide

Banned
So I just got a PS4 Pro and tested it out on my dad's 4k Samsung. Tried toggling back and forth between resolution and performance mode. Couldn't notice really any difference between the two so I hit display on my tv's remote to bring up the resolution info and to my surprise for both modes it said it was running at 2160p. What gives? I thought performance mode limited to 1080p? Now that I think of it there was literally no transition when selecting either mode. On pc when changing resolution for example you can expect to see a black screen for a few seconds before the resolution changes. on PS4 it is instantaneous. Is it even switching resolutions? Has anyone else noticed this on their Pro's with Horizon?

the Pro will upscale everything to 4k if that is set as your display resolution. so in case of the performance mode, it is rendering at 1080p and is then upscaled to 4k

hbkdx12

As shitty as the human AI is, the bandit camps are a nice reprieve when you don't want to worry about getting mauled to death lol

sappyday

So how are the RPG mechanics in this game? It's the thing that would push me over the edge. Is it just leveling up and upgrading a tree of sort? Or is there multiple paths that you can take (I.e if you go only combat you'll suck at stealth). Also are there any branching paths for side quests?

Acrylic7

Had to max out my resources bag capacity asap lol.

Is there a limit to how many robots you can have under your control? And if you leave them will they still be under your control if you return to an area?

As shitty as the human AI is, the bandit camps are a nice reprieve when you don't want to worry about getting mauled to death lol

And Nil is fucking amazing

I loved when Aloy asked him " You named your bow ?! " and he answers casually : " you didn't ? "

next time I meet him, Aloy " so, what's your knife called ? " and he's like " who those that "

the look on Aloy's face

hbkdx12

Had to max out my resources bag capacity asap lol.

Is there a limit to how many robots you can have under your control? And if you leave them will they still be under your control if you return to an area?
Don't think there's a limit. The area will reset/repopulate once you get far enough away

hbkdx12

And Nil is fucking amazing

I loved when Aloy asked him " You named your bow ?! " and he answers casually : " you didn't ? "

next time I meet him, Aloy " so, what's your knife called ? " and he's like " who those that "

the look on Aloy's face

Haha I just had the convo. I don't know why (maybe because he's handsome and his headpiece makes him look regal) but I feel like if they were to shoehorn in a relationship angle with Aloy, Nil would be the perfect suitor in a very "they don't get along now but eventually fall for each other" romantic comedy kind of way lol

I can't help but be skeptical despite being blown away by every single thing I have seen in the last two years.

A studio who made some good not great FPS games, is suddenly going to take on this genre and knock it out of the park first try?

Usually games this big aren't exclusives. Something like Mass Effect, Witcher, Bethesda games, etc. that just scream 'huge budget'. This looks the same, but how can it be? Sony gave this team, this new ip, this genre, that kind of budget?

The game looks fucking incredible, but I am just having a really hard time believing that Guerilla Games in their first foray into open world is going to create the best looking console game ever, with well above average WRPG combat mechanics. With absolutely incredible enemy design, deep RPG/crafting/collecting systems. and a story that at the very least has me curious, and looks to be above the standard open world RPG story, Oh by the way it also had slick as fuck movements and a platforming mechanic.

How can that be true? It simply does not compute. It took the Witcher team 3 tries to finally strike pure gold. And the combat was still a weak point, and it even took some time to just get used to the awkward movement mechanics.

I'm buying this day zero and a PS Pro is on the way just for this game. But there is something wrong with this game, there has to be.

Still doesn't make sense to me. But I'm happy to be wrong.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
How come this game is not 89 yet?

It is weired :/
Don't worry about collective scores.

It's a good time to recalibrate what you value from this collective averaging of scores and also now you have more information in the future to determine which outlet can be looked if you're unsure about a game.

For me for example this means someone giving this game a 5 means they can never be trusted for their opinion on action RPG ever again, so I don't have to worry about what they think.
(I also do this when outlets give games I consider to be average or bad very high scores.)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Still doesn't make sense to me. But I'm happy to be wrong.

While kz2 is great, I agree with this. It always confused me that guerilla had the largest or amongst the largest teams and budgets in wws. I always fault studios like sucker punch, evolution, etc deserved more recognition given that guerilla more often than not delivered meh products. This game however is legit. It's easily in their top franchises already. Now that the engine and gameplay is in place the sequel can really flesh out the writing and side quests.

Haha I just had the convo. I don't know why (maybe because he's handsome and his headpiece makes him look regal) but I feel like if they were to shoehorn in a relationship angle with Aloy, Nil would be the perfect suitor in a very "they don't get along now but eventually fall for each other" romantic comedy kind of way lol
It'd be interesting if the game have a dating sim element. I'm not even far into the game but there are already a couple npc that can serve as potential romance option.

Tebb, Erend, Varl, Nil. So far, I think Varl would be cool pairing. I think her mother would approve too, lol.

Kiro

Kid at my work asks me how far I am. I tell him ten hours.

He goes, oh so you've seen *ruins plot*?

No...no I haven't. Ugh.

it's not a new engine, it's the same engine they've been working on for several games now
Even if the same framework, it had to be so heavily modified to be to work with an open world, that kind of AI, etc.
“It is actually still the same engine but then [there is] an enormous leap from Shadow Fall to this."

So not a new engine then, but a much evolved, improved, and expanded version of that original engine

Radec

Even if the same framework, it had to be so heavily modified to be to work with an open world, that kind of AI, etc.

So not a new engine then, but a much evolved, improved, and expanded version of that original engine

Yep not new but improved engine from shadow fall.

They just finally has a name to call it now.

Lmfao I've been thinking this whole time how easy this game is on hard... Then I met my first Stormbird. God damn.

My first one wrecked me hard but I was nervous fighting it. Now I just spam arrows like a mad man and place bombs and traps when it goes high up in the air.

Also it was the first machine that made me use anti-element potions.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I don't feel like Horizon is a game you need to grind XP for. Plenty of XP from just regular creatures running around the world and quests. I never did it.

Just saying for on harder difficulties or people under leveled

There are places to farm to "bulk up"

CHC

You can keep coming back to it after a few story missions and she will continue to tell the story of her journey to him. It's pretty fantastic.

See, shit like this is how you know this was a passion project. Like, no one on earth is going to be like "wish I could do that" if they hadn't taken the time to make that little scene, but the fact that they did really matters in the end.

Same philosophy with Witcher III and GTA V, totally packed with "they didn't have to do that" moments.

MaKTaiL

When you said it's
"basically the nano suit from Crysis" I immediately thought about the cloak/speed/strength functionality of the nano suit and not the visual itself. For me that would be a huge spoiler.
if you were only talking about the visuals then I guess it's not really a spoiler then. I also didn't read the rest of your post in fear of more information about the suit that's why I spoiler tagged everything.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Sorry if this has been asked already I'm trying to avoid this thread for spoiler reasons but does anybody have any idea why I can't seem to use purple modifications in my weapons?

When I go to the crafting screen in Click a slot for a modification the purple ones just do not show up as a possible resource.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom