• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really unsderstand the quest levels. Most of the new ones I get are ten levels lower (often fifteen) than my current level, and I haven't been grinding anything. Are they just so low because it's assumed most will just ignore everything but the main quests or something?
That is my guess. I have been exploring everywhere so I'm level 30 and not close to Meridian yet -_-;

hbkdx12

The ropecaster is so easy to cheese that it becomes ludicrously OP particularly when you 1v1 and i love it

I think it may be my favorite weapon in the game

I don't really unsderstand the quest levels. Most of the new ones I get are ten levels lower (often fifteen) than my current level, and I haven't been grinding anything. Are they just so low because it's assumed most will just ignore everything but the main quests or something?

They are just an indication of the level of the enemies in that area. Your level does not matter that much. What matters is your weapon and mods.

Tigress

Why not both? They could first do 2 expansions that add new zones and monsters and the kind and then as the 'final' DLC they do the Co-op mode to take advantage of the new content given in the first 2 expansions and go from there. Best of both worlds.

I could go with that except I'm greedy. I'd still want the third one sp. But I'd be happy with that. But I really want at least 2 more dlcs adding story and zones and monsters. I could maybe even see myself trying the third if it was a co op one since the few people I play with online (like I can count on one hand) do have this game and I'm sure I could at least convince one of them to co op with me (especially as he already expressed he would like a co op mode). I just honestly prefer sp to co op.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Seriously Guerilla Games!

Corruption Zone: Fight 2 of these

ROCKBREAKERS!, Holy Shit

1 was crazy enough, but double trouble, jeez I had to cheese a little
Thank fuck Corruption gets melted by fire and had a fuckton stockpile of Blaze ready to go

I think all the big baddies that are Huge almost always payout a Very Rare mod

All the Thunderjaws, Rockbreakers, Stormbringers have netted me Purple mods

Sanctuary

They are just an indication of the level of the enemies in that area. Your level does not matter that much. What matters is your weapon and mods.

That makes more sense I guess. It also clarifies why some of the Hunting Ground missions seemed quite a bit harder (to get a Blazing anyway) than what the level would indicate; even though the enemies themselves were easy.

ROCKBREAKERS!, Holy Shit

Thank fuck Corruption gets melted by fire and had a fuckton stockpile of Blaze ready to go

First Thunderjaw I saw I killed. I ended up with two or three purple mods, and one of them was a 47% damage increase.

Lvls are sorta not a big deal. I find skill points more important, and so side quest offers them.

But who knows im only 11hours in.

There are really only a few "must have" skills though, and the rest are pretty much filler. You'll probably be able to grab everything from all trees too before the game is even three-fourths finished.

Herbalist, Silent Strike, Concentration, Double Shot, Triple Shot, Quick Reload, Low Profile, Tinkerer and Lure.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I will hopefully be picking this up after work or at least tomorrow morning. I haven't finished Gravity Rush 2 but I will hopefully do so after I take down Horizon... or Nier Automata... or so many other games lol

So yesterday I met a Sawtooth roaming around city ruins. I've picked one narrow pass between two buildings, set all my blast wires along it, waited for Sawtooth to show up at the other end of the street and shot him with a single arrow.
He aggroed, charged at me and collected all the blast wires with his face. He was running so fast that his corpse landed right at my feet.

Kalentan

I could go with that except I'm greedy. I'd still want the third one sp. But I'd be happy with that. But I really want at least 2 more dlcs adding story and zones and monsters. I could maybe even see myself trying the third if it was a co op one since the few people I play with online (like I can count on one hand) do have this game and I'm sure I could at least convince one of them to co op with me (especially as he already expressed he would like a co op mode). I just honestly prefer sp to co op.

I think what everyone could agree though that the DLC, co-op or not, needs to have...

More Melee weapon options. Seriously, I want the Warhammers that some characters have. That would be sick!

So yesterday I met a Sawtooth roaming around city ruins. I've picked one narrow pass between two buildings, set all my blast wires along it, waited for Sawtooth to show up at the other end of the street and shot him with a single arrow.
He aggroed, charged at me and collected all the blast wires with his face. He was running so fast that his corpse landed right at my feet.
That's awesome ha ha.

TheExodu5

Banned
Playing on a Pro.

On a 1080p set, it's incredibly hard to see any difference between performance and resolution mode. What is the actual difference in resolution? If performance mode is 1080p the IQ is nearly flawless.

I'm just playing in performance mode because it does eliminate a few frame drops, and more importantly, the Pro is so much quieter.

lol, nice.

This thread is moving too fast so I dont know if anyone answer by previous question about that ancient Armour and if its worth the trouble?

Agreed. I can still get wiped out by shellwakers as I posted earlier (and other misc encounters eg; the crocodiles) if i'm not careful.

Also, the game does let you carry multiple armour also for a reason. You can swap out armour for something that suits the enemy you're fighting better.

You need the tinker skill. The skill tree is open to read so its a worth a look in. Tinker was the skill tree i unlocked first

You can also buy mods + get them from treasure boxes

You change them in the crafting menu, there's a perk that allows you to do it without destroying the mod so might want to wait until you have that. You can also get mods in crates and chests too.

Thanks. It's taking me a while to get skill points.

Playing on a Pro.

On a 1080p set, it's incredibly hard to see any difference between performance and resolution mode. What is the actual difference in resolution? If performance mode is 1080p the IQ is nearly flawless.

I'm just playing in performance mode because it does eliminate a few frame drops, and more importantly, the Pro is so much quieter.

Cleaner image

Lol the different tribes remind me of Avatar

Fire Nation -
Carja
Air Nation -
Nora
Water Nation -
Banuk
Earth Nation -
Oseram

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Out of curiosity, during the
fight after the Proving
you can
wield a sort of machine gun firing arrows
. Do you get to use this later on too?

daveo42

Banned
Took down my first
bandit camp
last night. Fairly easy to deal with since they don't seem all that intelligent and predictable. Have a focus seems to make taking them down real easy too.

Loving the game so far, even if it can be overwhelming at times just because of how massive the game world is.

Blast wires are the best.

TalonJH

Fridays are my slow days at work and I am seriously contemplating leaving early to get an extra couple hours in HZD.

How did you not hit the share button afterward?

Ferr986

Playing on a Pro.

Go to an area with a lot of foliage/tree, etc... it should look better in res. But if you're not noticing then is best to play perf.

Socivol

The ropecaster is so easy to cheese that it becomes ludicrously OP particularly when you 1v1 and i love it

I think it may be my favorite weapon in the game

I hadn't been using it but I started last night it's my favorite too. It's easy to aim and extremely effective allowing you to get 2 crit + extra melee hits.

AEREC

9OHUDk5.gif

Haha at that floating quest marker. Really don't understand why you can disable every hud element except for the compass and quest markers.

BenJafaar

Neo Member
What's the best way to use the ropecaster ?

I always lay down some shock wires and go for a critical.

And is it better to use the sling for elemental states than the shock/freeze arrows? I already have two bows (shadow and sharpshooter) equipped and don't want to equip another one.

Pachimari

Theirs many ways of approaching fights.

Yes, and its entirely down to how you want to approach the fights.

For some, when you can do some tactical planning for the encounter, you can lay traps, tripwires & goad the robos into them, leaving you free to land the crit hit.

Other times they'll surprise you and you'll be reliant on your wits and improvisational skill - being mugged by several watchers and a bigger robo? Use the takeover device to turn at least one watcher to your side, and it'll attack the others, and some of them will focus on it, leaving you free to flank them or attach the big guy.

Using the bestiary to learn elemental weaknesses is essential too - it doesn't make the combat easier, but it makes you more effective at it.

Don't be put off by how OP the stealth kill is early on either. It doesn't last.
Hmm I might go buy it now. The world looks beautiful but I don't know if there is enough incensive to collect loot and stuff. And if there's ultimately other things to focus on than the fights against the robots.

I mean I got really bored of Uncharted 4 and had no urge to finish it. Only got up to chapter six or something.

I don't want too much shooting. I want exploration and lore.

Haha at that floating quest marker. Really don't understand why you can disable every hud element except for the compass and quest markers.

I think the worst part of the quest marker that shows up on your screen is it doesn't actually correspond to where you need to go, but instead it's an arbitrary point on a main path near you. Most of the time I'm not running around on the main road so the quest marker ends up like my annoying GPS telling me to make a U-turn every five seconds because I'm taking a quicker route. Argh!

Skeletron

^^^This is easily solved by turning off Quest Pathfinding in the settings. I think its under gameplay. Then you just see a direct line to the quest destination.
The compass can be disabled. The floating quest marker is annoying though. HUD settings don't effect it. You can make it disappear by deactivating you active quest in the quests menu, but next time you get a quest it will appear again until you deactivate the new quest.

silva1991

I'm on a small island hiding in the grass and observing snapmaw.

Those things are fascinating.
they jump in the water and then comeback to throw cold crafting materials.

I just hope they don't notice and kill me, because I haven't saved in a while lol.

Google

I think the worst part of the quest marker that shows up on your screen is it doesn't actually correspond to where you need to go, but instead it's an arbitrary point on a main path near you. Most of the time I'm not running around on the main road so the quest marker ends up like my annoying GPS telling me to make a U-turn every five seconds because I'm taking a quicker route. Argh!

I think you've got that backwards.

If you turn everything on the HUD off then the quest market is literally just a point on the map you need to get to.

If you have the HUD on (and that other setting I've forgotten the name of) the quest market acts like Google Maps and tells you exactly where to go on the paths to get to where you need to get to

CHC

They've really got to patch that. As it is, the dynamic UI is so good. Really found myself missing it in the Witcher III when I replayed some last night. I love the "tap to see UI" thing.

Skeletron

I think you've got that backwards.

If you turn everything on the HUD off then the quest market is literally just a point on the map you need to get to.

If you have the HUD on (and that other setting I've forgotten the name of) the quest market acts like Google Maps and tells you exactly where to go on the paths to get to where you need to get to
This is incorrect. I can confirm, even with all HUD settings on Off or Dynamic the floating quest marker appears on screen for any active quest. That's my one big gripe. The only way to turn it off is to look through your quests to find the one that's "active", and deactivate it.

But yeah, Quest Pathfinding is the setting in the gameplay menu that makes the quest marker latch to roads.

pixxxelz

You're going to miss a lot of XP, money and rewards if you skip side missions.
I don't want to skip them though, I just want to put then on hold until I have better stuff, or do I have to complete them as they become available if I don't want to miss them?

Also can I do anything with the animals I hunt other than selling them meat? I've killed a bunch of boars and turkeys but I don't know what to do with them.

Question about Power Cells...

Quest Spoilers Ahead:
So I got three power cells, but I see that I need a total of five. I've already completed the two quests where they're at. Can I replay those quests somehow? Can I get back to those locations? Or am I just screwed?

Thanks.

I'm loving this game so much. I hope to wrap up the story tonight!

I set the compass to Always Off, no need for it at all really. The quest marker does get annoying though but it is needed I guess

Ardenyal

ROCKBREAKERS!, Holy Shit

I think I know the exact location you're talking about.

That was the first point in the game where I thought there is a badly designed enemy in the game. Seems like there isn't as much room with strategies with that enemy.

Skeletron

I set the compass to Always Off, no need for it at all really. The quest marker does get annoying though but it is needed I guess
It's really not. I would prefer checking the map occasionally to having a floating icon on screen at all times. It should be a simple fix with a patch.

This is incorrect. I can confirm, even with all HUD settings on Off or Dynamic the floating quest marker appears on screen for any active quest. That's my one big gripe. The only way to turn it off is to look through your quests to find the one that's "active", and deactivate it.

But yeah, Quest Pathfinding is the setting in the gameplay menu that makes the quest marker latch to roads.

Oh there's a setting you can change so it doesn't do the road thing? Awesome - I'm fixing the hell out of that next time I play.

I don't want to skip them though, I just want to put then on hold until I have better stuff, or do I have to complete them as they become available if I don't want to miss them?

Also can I do anything with the animals I hunt other than selling them meat? I've killed a bunch of boars and turkeys but I don't know what to do with them.
The meat are used to make health potion, and the skin and bones are used to upgrade many of your bad so you can carry more ammo/potion/bomb etc

Hmm I might go buy it now. The world looks beautiful but I don't know if there is enough incensive to collect loot and stuff. And if there's ultimately other things to focus on than the fights against the robots.

I mean I got really bored of Uncharted 4 and had no urge to finish it. Only got up to chapter six or something.

I don't want too much shooting. I want exploration and lore.
U4 was solid but didnt really keep me interested throughout- I just wanted to get it over with. But this is fun, the gameplay is amazing so is story and graphics. theres lots of exploring and lore as well - the game is so interesting that you want to learn as much you can about the world and the past, first time I had this kind of interest in a long time
Question about Power Cells...

Quest Spoilers Ahead:
So I got three power cells, but I see that I need a total of five. I've already completed the two quests where they're at. Can I replay those quests somehow? Can I get back to those locations? Or am I just screwed?

Thanks.

I'm loving this game so much. I hope to wrap up the story tonight!
You can get them all no matter when, I dont think theres anything that you can miss in this game, they made it so you can collect everything even if you miss it at some point of the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom