• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you using the tripcaster or the ropecaster? That uses up all my wires.

Using the Ropecaster extensively. Don't use the Tripcaster much anymore, so many jumping animals that are good at avoiding the wires or just shrug off its effects. Thinking of trading it back in for the Shadow Sling.

Still don't use THAT many wires, but like I said, I'm switching arrows very frequently.

Neoweee

Using the Ropecaster extensively. Don't use the Tripcaster much anymore, so many jumping animals that are good at avoiding the wires or just shrug off its effects. Thinking of trading it back in for the Shadow Sling.

Still don't use THAT many wires, but like I said, I'm switching arrows very frequently.

I find the Tripcaster to work almost like a melee weapon. Fuck using it as a trap, just put the wire through enemies, and it tends to trigger more reliably.

Ix6eZ47.gif

MPa77aT.gif

Man, checking my capture gallery, this has already taken far and away the most storage on my PS4, surpassing UC4. The most beautiful game I've ever played. the variety in environments, the IQ, the performance. lawd.

Something the game fails at is validating exploration with tangible reward. There are lots of collectibles and whatnot but for the most part it doesn't lead into anything significant. You can't find armour, weapons and whatnot, you can find bits of information that get added to your encylopedia.
This is really something they should focus on in the sequel. There is some terrific vistas in the game, as well as ancient buildings or even huge fucking mechs and vehicles peppered across the areas.

Ive esplored and saw some amazing stuff, and having those places being fleshed out a little (like audio logs or notes) would have been superb.

I got a question for those that have finished it - is there ever an instance where side missions can be closed off? Like if you get too far into the story?

Mifune

Mehmber
This is really something they should focus on in the sequel. There is some terrific vistas in the game, as well as ancient buildings or even huge fucking mechs and vehicles peppered across the areas.

Ive esplored and saw some amazing stuff, and having those places being fleshed out a little (like audio logs or notes) would have been superb.

I have found that most notable structures in the world have a note or log nearby. Are you not finding any?

4 or 5 hours in and holy shit. Wasn't expecting this quality to be honest. Already did like two or three "The Witcher 3 sidequests", pretty good. The graphics are amazing, even on a OG PS4.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I played a tiny bit more. The side quests and "errands" seem to fall into the same traps as other RPGs. Basically the first one has you kill five rabbits, which is exactly the kind of thing Witcher 3 tried to avoid.

As far back as Witcher 2 CDProjekt tried to find ways around that kind of quest design, usually by making the process deeper (destroy three nests) or adding some quirk to every one of them (solve a puzzle at each one, or make some kind of moral choice). More importantly Witcher 2 and 3 tried to make the tasks in their quests seem less mundane. I point this out because Horizon draws a lot from Witcher 3 and that's exactly what makes Witcher 3 stand out among open-world RPGs.

Haven't gotten my copy of Zelda yet but I hear it's a lot more systemic than most of the biggest open-world games around today. People are comparing it to Far Cry 2 in that aspect. What I'm starting to think happened is Nintendo fused the open-world formula together with some Minecraft-esque survival elements and the latter's totally open structure, and may have even borrowed more of Skyrim's systemic systems than any other game that pulls from Skyrim. Most games that do so seem to only borrow Skyrim's interface and overall quest structure, but not the way NPCs and the world react to the player and each other.

Anyway, before I digress too much, if I get more interested in Horizon for any reason it'll probably be the setting and story. The actual game is a smorgasbord of other games but the setting does post-apocalyptic in a way that's a bit different for video games. I'd like to get into that first town and see the other communities.
Maybe it's just that I haven't put a whole lot of time into most errands, but I have yet to encounter a side mission or errand that required me to simply fetch things. I'm over 25hrs into the game, and almost all the non main quests I've done have been multilayered and quite good. Then again, I didn't do a single errand, and maybe one side quest, till I was pretty deep into the main mission.

So maybe the early ones are like that. But now that I stopped the main mission and have cleared all my side quests, and a few of the errands, it's nice that I haven't done anything that was repetitive or identical. Dragon Age Inquisition is the pinnacle of shitty side quest design lol.

Surprised by how viable melee is in this (even thought there is literally one melee weapon lol) getting the knockdown perks combined with the bonus stealth attack leads to some very satisfying hide and seek gameplay, I'm also surprised by what the game considers "medium enemies" bellowbacks and snapjaws don't seem like stealth attacks should work on em but they do.

Now I just need to find a way to upgrade the spear, there was a quest in the starting zone that did it, or there any more?

Pachimari

Hmm, I think this may not be for me after all, having seen some gameplay videos on YouTube. It all just seems to revolve around the fights against these robo dinos. Whereas I want more exploration, not for beautiful vistas but for lore and rare loot.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Ix6eZ47.gif

MPa77aT.gif

Man, checking my capture gallery, this has already taken far and away the most storage on my PS4, surpassing UC4. The most beautiful game I've ever played. the variety in environments, the IQ, the performance. lawd.
I have almost 2GB of photos. I can't take 100 steps without going,

"oh this looks like a nice place for a photoshoot! Make up, lighting, you've got 10 minutes! Let's move it people!"

darkwing

So yesterday I met a Sawtooth roaming around city ruins. I've picked one narrow pass between two buildings, set all my blast wires along it, waited for Sawtooth to show up at the other end of the street and shot him with a single arrow.
He aggroed, charged at me and collected all the blast wires with his face. He was running so fast that his corpse landed right at my feet.

should have gif'd it

MaKTaiL

Oh my god, just reached Meridian. Jesus Christ! This is everything I wanted Altissia on FFXV to be. A fully explorable city. I'm so overwhelmed by the amount of side quests here I don't even know where to begin.

Does "ice" do anything at all to the Thunderjaw? Doesn't seem to care at all. :p

source.gif

Pin them down with the ropecaster, freeze it with ice, the shoot arrows at its components.

Works like a charm for the Thundermaws!!! Even better on those blasted Glinthawks and Stormbirds

Edit: even better if you have the double or triple shot skill.

Arrived at the desert site past Meridian. Think I'm finally going to have to mess with inventory management, always my least favourite part. My bow and melee were good enough so far on v hard. :(

Gurish

Ix6eZ47.gif

MPa77aT.gif

Man how did GG manage to achieve that? I feel like no other open world game would be able to top this visually for the rest of the gen, even Horizon 2 I feel won't be much improved (obviously if it's a PS4 title), it feels like they maxed the PS4 with this game, like how fmuch urther this poor 7870 can be pushed?!

black070

Thought I was OP and had made the rest of the game a cake walk as I left the further parameters of the starting area and fully went off into the outer, unexplored parts of the map... man did that put me in my place. :p

This is the most gorgeous game I've ever played. Everything screams carefully crafted artistry.

But lack of physical interaction with plants and water is really, really off-putting; on the level of Uncharted 4's dithered shadows, IMO.

hbkdx12

Love how streamlined the weapon wheel UI is

I would love it a lot more if the game didn't create such redundancies in it's weapons. Having 2 of the same item that uses different ammo types just creates situations where i feel like i spend more time in menus swapping out weapons based on the situation

caesar

Banned
Just started the game and picked v.hard, is it fun to play or just masochistic? I like hard but fair, was planning to be stealthy.

Also has anyone worked out a nice hud balance? Way too busy for me.

Hmm, I think this may not be for me after all, having seen some gameplay videos on YouTube. It all just seems to revolve around the fights against these robo dinos. Whereas I want more exploration, not for beautiful vistas but for lore and rare loot.

there are collectibles for lore about the world before all this apocalypse, the few I got has been very intriguing. you got it via text and audio logs.

this game's exploration is probably my favorite among other rpg, compare to Witcher and FF 15. in both those 2 games, you end up using your car and horse to pretty much go anywhere toward the map marker and then explore the area.

in Horizon, the game size is not too big that you need a mount to go anywhere. it feels like it's designed to be traveled on foot imo and because of that the map is very dense. walk a minute or two and you'll find another pack of robot animal to fight if you want. there's also plenty of side activities and collectible to find.

Noks415

Holy crap. I had no idea you could redo Hunter lodge challenges for XP. I'm currently level 25 and haven't even reached Meridian yet. Should I stop grinding?

Just started the game and picked v.hard, is it fun to play or just masochistic? I like hard but fair, was planning to be stealthy.

Also has anyone worked out a nice hud balance? Way too busy for me.

Playing on Hard: Is on the easy side to me but challenging.

Custom: All dynamic for me.

Pachimari

there are collectibles for lore about the world before all this apocalypse, the few I got has been very intriguing. you got it via text and audio logs.

this game's exploration is probably my favorite among other rpg, compare to Witcher and FF 15. in both those 2 games, you end up using your car and horse to pretty much go anywhere toward the map marker and then explore the area.

in Horizon, the game size is not too big that you need a mount to go anywhere. it feels like it's designed to be traveled on foot imo and because of that the map is very dense. walk a minute or two and you'll find another pack of robot animal to fight if you want. there's also plenty of side activities and collectible to find.
So it's not like all or most robots are hostile towards me just if I get seen? I can walk around among them and mind my own business? Walk across mountains to new areas and stuff?

Ferr986

So I reached the camp with the hunter trials, just after the tutorial area. Bought some maps from the vendor and suddenly the map turned into an Ubisoft game.

Anyways, saw a metal flower icon so I went there. Found a ruin with
corrupted
machines and proceeded to be 2 shotted by one of them :(

Mifune

Mehmber
Theres a whole lot of interesting locales, that even though not notable to the story, looks like something I want to know the history behind.

Most of the buildings in the old decayed cities have a log you can find.

I kinda like how sparingly distributed the lore is.

Why does Aloy start automaticllly walking forward when I hold the left trigger?? This has broken my stealth multiple timss now and it's driving me crazy. Is this a bug? Sometimes she does it and sometimes not.

So it's not like all or most robots are hostile towards me just if I get seen? I can walk around among them and mind my own business? Walk across mountains to new areas and stuff?

you can run away from robots, there are certain range where the robots will stop chasing you. you can also sneak around and use stealth to avoid being seen.

Kalentan

I said this on twitter. I want a game where these two somehow cross paths if only for a moment and I don't care how unrealistic it is.

Well to be fair to that unrealistic idea... Doesn't
Witcher already have planet hopping technically?

(witcher spoilers)

So I reached the camp with the hunter trials, just after the tutorial area. Bought some maps from the vendor and suddenly the map turned into an Ubisoft game.

Anyways, saw a metal flower icon so I went there. Found a ruin with
corrupted
machines and proceeded to be 2 shotted by one of them :(
Yeah, I wish you are given the option to switch off some of the legends.

The road to m
eridian
was fucking crazy.

I kind of just wanted to get there so I didn't do many fights or anything. But there was so much there! Lots of new enemies, and the environment was gorgeous. I'm gonna have to go mess around in that area this weekend.

Pachimari

you can run away from robots, there are certain range where the robots will stop chasing you. you can also sneak around and use stealth to avoid being seen.
So it does seem like they are hostile by default and that's not what I'm looking for I think. I don't want to sneak my way around then when I just roam the lands. I want to walk among them. Like I want the game to be relaxing and not being too intense.

So it does seem like they are hostile by default and that's not what I'm looking for I think. I don't want to sneak my way around then when I just roam the lands. I want to walk among them. Like I want the game to be relaxing and not being too intense.

Some of them run away from you but yes most of them hostile unless you hack them .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom