• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about Power Cells...

Quest Spoilers Ahead:
So I got three power cells, but I see that I need a total of five. I've already completed the two quests where they're at. Can I replay those quests somehow? Can I get back to those locations? Or am I just screwed?

Thanks.

I'm loving this game so much. I hope to wrap up the story tonight!
You can get back to those areas and the other ones are located in later story mission locations that you can also revisit.

ajanke

Question about Power Cells...

Quest Spoilers Ahead:
So I got three power cells, but I see that I need a total of five. I've already completed the two quests where they're at. Can I replay those quests somehow? Can I get back to those locations? Or am I just screwed?

Thanks.

I'm loving this game so much. I hope to wrap up the story tonight!

Where are the other 2? I have 2 left. But I'm pretty good at picking up everything.

MaKTaiL

I whished the Tallnecks wouldn't reveal every icon in the map, only clear the fog. It kills a little bit the sense of discovery. I already know where every Cauldron is located. Finding them out on my own would be pretty awesome.

I stumbled across a decent way to get fish parts. There's a snapmaw zone in the southwest of the starting area with an island in the middle of a small lake. If you shoot the blaze canisters on their backs, the explosion tends to kill the nearby fish. I think I killed about four fish with one explosion. Sadly, I didn't get the fish bones I needed, but it's far easier than trying to shoot them with a bow one at a time.
do they have markers on the map? Im almost at the end of the game and have never seen one
I think you might need to do the Sigma Cauldron side quest to make the others show up on the map.

Skeletron

I whished the Tallnecks wouldn't reveal every icon in the map, only clear the fog. It kills a little bit the sense of discovery. I already know where every Cauldron is located. Finding them out on my own would be pretty awesome.
Ahh, so that's why I know where everything is...
Also I bought all the maps from the trader that give the locations to metal flowers, vantages, ancient vessels, and something else. I know everything

hbkdx12

What's the best way to use the ropecaster ?

I always lay down some shock wires and go for a critical.

And is it better to use the sling for elemental states than the shock/freeze arrows? I already have two bows (shadow and sharpshooter) equipped and don't want to equip another one.

If i'm 1v1 with a ground animal i tie them down and then lay traps and tripwire and then hit them with tear arrows and then run them into the traps

1v1 with air animals i wait for them to get close, use concentration to help land my shots to tie them down. Throw sticky bombs on them/use tear arrows. As they get stunned from the blast, tie them down again before they can fly away again. Rinse and repeat.

These are both if i just want to cheese them or have a little fun.

If I'm being mobbed, tie down the biggest threats and deal with the others. Enemies stayed tied down for 90 seconds as long as you don't attack them which is a crazy long amount of time.

Tinúviel

This may sound like a nit-pick but isn't the music that pops out when you open the map is too loud?It's a good music but map is something you open too often.Map shouldn't have a menu music if you ask me.

hbkdx12

Can I buy wire? I find myself short on it for making arrows, all the fucking time.

Yep but be prepared to be in the shop a long as time considering you can only buy one piece at a time and you have to hold down x to confirm each purchase. So annoying

Can I buy wire? I find myself short on it for making arrows, all the fucking time.

Yes, most hunter merchants sell the crafting essentials like wire, sparkers, chillwater and blaze.

But I've got so much wire I've never needed to purchase any.....not sure what I'm doing that other people aren't. Maybe because I'm using two bows and use different arrows all the time I go through the wire-intensive arrows less?

Brine

Yes, most hunter merchants sell the crafting essentials like wire, sparkers, chillwater and blaze.

But I've got so much wire I've never needed to purchase any.....not sure what I'm doing that other people aren't. Maybe because I'm using two bows and use different arrows all the time I go through the wire-intensive arrows less?

Are you using the tripcaster or the ropecaster? That uses up all my wires.

Pachimari

U4 was solid but didnt really keep me interested throughout- I just wanted to get it over with. But this is fun, the gameplay is amazing so is story and graphics. theres lots of exploring and lore as well - the game is so interesting that you want to learn as much you can about the world and the past, first time I had this kind of interest in a long time

You can get them all no matter when, I dont think theres anything that you can miss in this game, they made it so you can collect everything even if you miss it at some point of the game
Yeah okay, I think I might go buy it in 2-3 hours. Really hope there's stuff I can explore and cool things to get. Secret things like armor and gear and equipment. Or maybe all of it is only through shops and stuff like that?

Humdinger

Just started the game, only an hour or two in, but I'm impressed. Beautiful character models and world. Well-told story, at least so far. I'm bought in. Hope the rest of the game delivers. Nothing is as good as a good RPG.

nOoblet16

Rockbreaker is my favorite dino so far.
Absolutely hate that one.
It'd the only robot that takes so many tear arrows before you can take away it's ability. 4 digging arms, 2 of which are quite well hidden and each take 3-4 tear arrows and all this while it is digging in and out. Ropecaster also seems to not have much effect on it either. Most of the time you fight atleast two of them at once.

It's the only robot with who I don't bother taking down parts but rather just freeze to slow it down and then once it's low on health I just burn it down with fire debuff.

My absolute favourite to fight are Thunderjaw, Stormbird and Behemoth. But even among them Thunderjaw is my favourite.

RedSwirl

I played a tiny bit more. The side quests and "errands" seem to fall into the same traps as other RPGs. Basically the first one has you kill five rabbits, which is exactly the kind of thing Witcher 3 tried to avoid.

As far back as Witcher 2 CDProjekt tried to find ways around that kind of quest design, usually by making the process deeper (destroy three nests) or adding some quirk to every one of them (solve a puzzle at each one, or make some kind of moral choice). More importantly Witcher 2 and 3 tried to make the tasks in their quests seem less mundane. I point this out because Horizon draws a lot from Witcher 3 and that's exactly what makes Witcher 3 stand out among open-world RPGs.

Haven't gotten my copy of Zelda yet but I hear it's a lot more systemic than most of the biggest open-world games around today. People are comparing it to Far Cry 2 in that aspect. What I'm starting to think happened is Nintendo fused the open-world formula together with some Minecraft-esque survival elements and the latter's totally open structure, and may have even borrowed more of Skyrim's systemic systems than any other game that pulls from Skyrim. Most games that do so seem to only borrow Skyrim's interface and overall quest structure, but not the way NPCs and the world react to the player and each other.

Anyway, before I digress too much, if I get more interested in Horizon for any reason it'll probably be the setting and story. The actual game is a smorgasbord of other games but the setting does post-apocalyptic in a way that's a bit different for video games. I'd like to get into that first town and see the other communities.

Yeah okay, I think I might go buy it in 2-3 hours. Really hope there's stuff I can explore and cool things to get. Secret things like armor and gear and equipment. Or maybe all of it is only through shops and stuff like that?

Something the game fails at is validating exploration with tangible reward. There are lots of collectibles and whatnot but for the most part it doesn't lead into anything significant. You can't find armour, weapons and whatnot, you can find bits of information that get added to your encylopedia.

Early on in the game I swam off to an lone island thinking there might be something of value there. Nothing at all.

With that said, exploring is still intrinsically rewarding because of how beautiful and varied the game is. The situations you can get yourself into with combat, hunting down bots for resources (some of these can provide rare loot which you can augment to your existing equipment, which does provide a good sense of reward).

I don't want to put you off it though, it's the best open world game / action-RPG that I have ever played. I'd recommend it to anyone, but that doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement either.

I played a tiny bit more. The side quests and "errands" seem to fall into the same traps as other RPGs. Basically the first one has you kill five rabbits, which is exactly the kind of thing Witcher 3 tried to avoid.

As far back as Witcher 2 CDProjekt tried to find ways around that kind of quest design, usually by making the process deeper (destroy three nests) or adding some quirk to every one of them (solve a puzzle at each one, or make some kind of moral choice). More importantly Witcher 2 and 3 tried to make the tasks in their quests seem less mundane. I point this out because Horizon draws a lot from Witcher 3 and that's exactly what makes Witcher 3 stand out among open-world RPGs.

Haven't gotten my copy of Zelda yet but I hear it's a lot more systemic than most of the biggest open-world games around today. People are comparing it to Far Cry 2 in that aspect. What I'm starting to think happened is Nintendo fused the open-world formula together with some Minecraft-esque survival elements and the latter's totally open structure, and may have even borrowed more of Skyrim's systemic systems than any other game that pulls from Skyrim. Most games that do so seem to only borrow Skyrim's interface and overall quest structure, but not the way NPCs and the world react to the player and each other.

Anyway, before I digress too much, if I get more interested in Horizon for any reason it'll probably be the setting and story. The actual game is a smorgasbord of other games but the setting does post-apocalyptic in a way that's a bit different for video games. I'd like to get into that first town and see the other communities.

I didn't encounter one asking me to 'kill 5 rabits'. Every side quest and errand I have completed has been tied significantly to a narrative. I'd suggest playing more of the game before attempting to provide a significant critique of the games quest structure. I don't think it's perfect but it's not the 'do x number of x things' that you describe here. If anything the side quests are too much like The Witcher 3's, the only problem I have had with it is the NPCs don't express that much personality. I didn't find myself connecting with the short stories that they offer in the same way as I did with W3, and in most cases they only have one quest for you, whereas W3 has much longer sequences.

I'm not sure I really agree with this complaint. The side-quests and errands in Horizon pretty much remind me exactly of Witcher. Narrative designed around the gameplay systems.

nOoblet16

It's not like Witcher 3 doesn't do fetch quests and follow detective vision quests. Also what's the difference between go kill 3 rabbits and go kill 3 nests ? Both are pretty much the same thing design wise.

Early quests will obviously be small in scope. You might kill rabbits now but you'll kill big robots later.

It gets more intricate as it goes on. Nothing as good as the baron sidequest, but most of them are good, and importantly fun.

Papacheeks

Banned
I think the reviewers were playing Zelda and Horizon at the same time and that skewed their expetience :(

Games shouldnt be judged against each other, but on their own merits. I'll tell you that playing the game gave me the same sense Witcher 3 did. And Witcher 3 is quite possibly my favorite game of all time.

Totally agree.

Makes me sad that all I hear is Zelda this zelda that. I get it, the game is great. But so isn't this game and I feel there seems to be more nitpicking with Horizon because of some familiarity to other open world games. The other could be said about Zelda. But all that game get's is perfect 10. I feel because of the setting, presentation, and fine tuned gameplay with solid locked performance makes this game a top tier game.

Second to Witcher 3 in some respects mainly story and character I would say. But gameplay wise this is way more fun to play.

I feel this game got shat on by bunch of no name reviewers or people who are kind of fed up with open world games in general mainly because of comparisons to farcry's map design/side quests.

j0hnnix

Hmm.. When you focus on an enemy their level is upper right hand? I don't get if I'm level 15 how it's difficult to bring down a level 6 human.. Am I misunderstanding something? I'm using the hunter arrow, I'm out of precision arrows because I ran out of wire, which happens a lot.. Smh.

Just to answer my own question, mainly due to the pull and distance of me shooting the arrow with the standard bow. At least st that's what I've come to believe .

Double D

Last night I found myself stumbling across side-quests while following a waypoint to my active quest. I actually thought that said side-quest was the objective that I was actively following.

Example - Active quest - find the old war-chief
(Sona?)
. On my way I found the massive T
all-Neck
and thought that was the objective. Tried to find a way on top of it for a while until I realized my waypoint was pointing in a totally different direction. Also I found a fort or something with hostages. Again, thought that was part of my active quest.

It's not really a complaint and probably my ignorance more than anything just finding it different than I have experienced in other games.

Mifune

Mehmber
Something the game fails at is validating and rewarding exploration with tangible reward. There are lots of collectibles and whatnot but for the most part it doesn't lead into anything significant. You can't find armour, weapons and whatnot, you can find bits of information that get added to your encylopedia.

I disagree. The absolute best weapon mod I've found was not connected to a quest at all. I found it by exploring the far reaches of the opening area.

Does "ice" do anything at all to the Thunderjaw? Doesn't seem to care at all. :p

source.gif

silva1991

Fuck. That third hunters trails cost me all my fast healing items.

If I had more of them I would have killed stormbird.

Time to farm them I guess.

ch4fx_

you can only buy one piece at a time and you have to hold down x to confirm each purchase. So annoying

What. The. Fuck.

This reminds me of breaking down division tech in The Division. Thanks for the heads up.

I would bet that's the case. I didn't notice wire until I got the Sharpshooter bow & started crafting its arrows.

Is there a way to see how much time I already spent on this?

I'm loving the side quests, so much fun

Go to a fireplace & make a manual save. You'll go through the saving prompt & you'll notice your time listed there.

mokeyjoe

I know what you mean about the borrowed game mechanics, but as I've got further into the game, these seem to have faded into the background more and more. The meat of the game is really between the combat and story - the story is gamey but genuinely cool, and the combat is really dynamic and compelling. Both these things put many linear action games to shame (graphics too, of course). The game really feels like it's rattling along for me, even if I'm off the main quest, I love how fast paced it feels. Although it's technically 'open world action rpg', it's definitely a streamlined take on the genre.

X-Frame

At what point do I get access to other Very Rare weapons? All I have right now from merchants is the Very Rare Elemental Sling. I'd love a VR Ropecaster and Shadowshot Bow.

I disagree. The absolute best weapon mod I've found was not connected to a quest at all. I found it by exploring the far reaches of the opening area.

I feel like I could spend 10 hours exploring the world and not find a purple weapon mod.

Or I could spend 10 minutes, kill a thunderjaw and I'd have two or three.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom