• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

deoee

I'm level 16 ad still have the starting bow for normal and fire arrow...

Feels like I missed an upgrade somewhere

shiba5

Those the Terablast ones? What do those do? I have them but never use em. I've tried and sometimes they'll do damage and other times they seem kinda useless.

If you hit the weak points, they blast off those parts. I usually hit a bot with one first to blow off as many weapons as I can before they charge.

beclause

Neo Member
Jesus, some of these Cauldron fights are bullshit. Put in two huge, super aggresive robots into an empty pit with me and expect me to be a fuckin sharpshooter that just gets everything right.

The game gives you options to deal with situations like that. I'm assuming you're talking about the RHO cauldron with the snapmaw and the ravager (sawtooth with guns).

I was getting my ass handed to me until I realized i could use the ravager's gun. The very first thing I did was used a tearblast arrow to take out the gun. Then tied down the snapmaw with more ropes than I needed just so I could get to the gun. Once I got the gun, it was easy work. Took down the ravager first. Poor snapmaw was still tied down and didn't have a shot. Felt like a boss destroying the two machines in under two minutes.

The only precise hit I needed to make was the tear arrow to get the gun.

ajanke

A sequel that adresses some of the issues can be GOAT. For their first RPG they still did a good job. With this experience they can do something really special with a sequel.

Oh man if they add a better loot system, customizable gear, etc... It will be even more great.

I'm level 16 ad still have the starting bow for normal and fire arrow...

Feels like I missed an upgrade somewhere

Im level 19 and still have the starter bow/long bow/fire arrows.

Unrelated: does anybody elses PS4 pro fan start working pretty hard while playing this? This game probably makes my pro the loudest out of any game.

Silvard

Alright so I noticed that 3/4 of my most use weapon use wire at a heavy rate, and since I've only been hunting large machines that cost a lot of reources to take down I've gone through my stock pile pretty fast. Does anyone have an efficient way of farming wire?

I have 9.2 setup and do get full surround sound, but the dialog comes out of the right speaker as well. I've read that it works correctly if you are running in stereo mode so it seems to be a bug in the game with surround systems that I hope they fix. It's not a big deal but does make dialog sections sound awkward.

Awesome. Audio is one of those things where it gets to be so subjective, you wonder if you're kind of crazy. I spent ~4 yrs in high end audio, so i wire all my stuff myself, and it's been hooked up since April last year.

Still, when something like this happens, you immediately get that "is something in my receiver set wrong? Is something in the playstation set wrong?", despite it being fine for every other game.

Kremzeek

Started playing this last night and man, there's so much shit to do in this game, how do you guys keep up with all this? Should I just focus on the main quest now and do the side stuff later?

You're going to miss a lot of XP, money and rewards if you skip side missions.

Kalentan

Not yet. I hope they do a really large expansion like The Following on Dying Light.

No. They need to make a Monster Hunter-style co-op DLC. I shall demand nothing less!

Coming this Summer...

Horizon Zero Dawn: The Hunters Lodge

Experience the thrill of the hunt with up to 3 friends as you work together on contracts to take down large
machines. However new and stronger machines are on the rise and thus your skills will be put to the test
against all new challenges! Level up and personalize your character with all new skills, weapons, and
armor to use!

Pick your characters tribe and customize them and then load into the Lodge where you can meet players
in a public lobby or make your own private for you and your friends. Accept ever increasingly difficult
contracts and if you feel up for the challenge, try the weekly contracts against the ever changing Epic Monsters.

Granted I haven't beaten the game so I have no idea if this would work but I want it. So badly.

Tigress

No. They need to make a Monster Hunter-style co-op DLC. I shall demand nothing less!

Only if it is just as good to play on your own, adds more story and monsters and even areas to explore. Cause I just want more story/monsters/area to explore and I could not care less about co op honestly. Personally I prefer they don't so they focus on a good single player experience. Enough games already insist on having an MP experience, be nice to have some that still try to focus on SP (and usually if they add an MP they start focusing on that cause they can make more money on stuff like microtransactions).

Falchion

Does anyone have that gif of Aloy running across the stream towards a Thunderjaw and then it turns and roars at her and the player basically says 'Fuck this!' and turns and runs away?

I think it was in one of the preview threads but I can't find it anywhere.

Kalentan

Only if it is just as good to play on your own, adds more story and monsters and even areas to explore. Cause I just want more story/monsters/area to explore and I could not care less about co op honestly. Personally I prefer they don't so they focus on a good single player experience. Enough games already insist on having an MP experience, be nice to have some that still try to focus on SP (and usually if they add an MP they start focusing on that cause they can make more money on stuff like microtransactions).

Why not both? They could first do 2 expansions that add new zones and monsters and the kind and then as the 'final' DLC they do the Co-op mode to take advantage of the new content given in the first 2 expansions and go from there. Best of both worlds.

Man, some parts later on in the game is concept art quality. Find myself taking pictures of places thrice, each in a different time of the day.

PerZona

Just started playing the game yesterday and damn, it's really good! Having so much fun playing the side quests and lvling up, also stealth killing the machines are weirdly satisfying. Graphics and OST are pretty damn good as well.

Didn't expect it to be so much fun, easily one of my GOTY contender for 2017 and it's only March now.

CHC

Man, some parts later on in the game is concept art quality. Find myself taking pictures of places thrice, each in a different time of the day.

Yup, crazy how the beginning area is the LEAST graphically impressive area. The
jungles around Meridian
look outrageous.

God damn NPCs stole my first
Thunderjaw
kill!!! Gah!! Makes me so angry. I laid out traps and planned it only to not get credit or xp since a NPC killed it.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Is there a better bow than the
shadow carja one
? I'm level 28 or something and trying to figure out if I'm going to find a better one, or if I should buy all the bow variants on that level.

Kin5290

Those the Terablast ones? What do those do? I have them but never use em. I've tried and sometimes they'll do damage and other times they seem kinda useless.
I'm talking about a different bow. Tearblast arrows have a purple icon and are used to tear off anything that can be torn off a machine. They're insanely useful because they have an AOE effect, but they're also expensive because they require Echo Shells to make. Those are fired from the Sharpshot bow. They're actually incredibly useful, because you can use them to disable a machine's special attacks with a single arrow.

Hardpoint arrows are fired from the Shadow Hunter Bow, and they're basically precision arrows that do slightly less damage but don't require any Wire. So they're cheap, spammable, and hit hard.

x-Lundz-x

I am completely drawn into this game world. GG did an amazing job, I think my entire weekend is going to be lost to me playing this amazing game. 6 hours in and just got past the first main gate, so much to do and see it's incredible!

Early on and im starting to feel my starter bow is underpowered, where can i get an upgrade?
keep it for hunting wildlife but buy a sharpshooter bow, the precision arrows with that do huge damage, also the tearblast arrows are amazing.

I use a hunter bow and sharpshooter for the mixture of fire and above mentioned then also use a tripcaster and a sling. Been upgrading them to better versions as I go but the mods for damage and elemental damage are the bigger deal.

ChanMan

I think I am going to get this game today as I am not getting a Switch and Mass Effect will have to wait until it has been out for a while.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Finally completed Gravity Rush 2 last night, so now it's time to jump into this!

Super excited

MaKTaiL

I want Horizon 2 to feature underwater combat (Aloy finds a device that lets her breathe underwater for a few minutes). I want giant robot whales, sharks and krakens to fight.

tumblr_inline_n4fvu5tsm51s9xt86.gif

giphy.gif

So, the first hour is pretty strong. Surprised by the cutscenes and the voice acting, the story seems quite intriguing as well. Can't talk about gameplay yet because I've just learned the basics.

But god, I love Aloy already.

The way I play the game would probably driver others nuts, I don't even use the bow at all haha I'm basically playing it like an older MGS game, stealth killing all the things though I get my share of open conflict melee battles. If the game allows this stealth element to continue all game long, I'm sure I'll love this game as proper stealth mechanics are pretty much my favorite in gaming. The game hasn't given me a reason to use the bow though, it's so much quicker and more effective to just run up to an enemy and knock them down with the heavy swing. I even did the first saw tooth and the "demon" machine enemy solely with melee. the spear is too good and the dodge works well so at this point I feel like I'll be able to melee my way through damn near everything. With the skill tree offering buffs to the spear and the ability to stealth kill/deal high strike damage to the large machines and elite level humans, I don't see why I shouldn't be able to :)

Anyone else playing without really using the bow at all?

darkwing

The way I play the game would probably driver others nuts, I don't even use the bow at all haha I'm basically playing it like an older MGS game, stealth killing all the things though I get my share of open conflict melee battles. If the game allows this stealth element to continue all game long, I'm sure I'll love this game as proper stealth mechanics are pretty much my favorite in gaming. The game hasn't given me a reason to use the bow though, it's so much quicker and more effective to just run up to an enemy and knock them down with the heavy swing. I even did the first saw tooth and the "demon" machine enemy solely with melee. the spear is too good and the dodge works well so at this point I feel like I'll be able to melee my way through damn near everything. With the skill tree offering buffs to the spear and the ability to stealth kill/deal high strike damage to the large machines and elite level humans, I don't see why I shouldn't be able to :)

Anyone else playing without really using the bow at all?

lol that is one way to play it, I guess that is the essence of a good open world game, many ways to tackle a problem

Kalentan

I need a Blood & Wine type expansion for this game

Would be cool though one thing does worry me about future content...

I heard some say that the CDProjekt Red devs that came over to Guerilla games to work on Horizon are no longer there? Does make me a tiny bit worried.

Sanctuary

I don't really unsderstand the quest levels. Most of the new ones I get are ten levels lower (often fifteen) than my current level, and I haven't been grinding anything. Are they just so low because it's assumed most will just ignore everything but the main quests or something?

Oxn

I don't really unsderstand the quest levels. Most of the new ones I get are ten levels lower (often fifteen) than my current level, and I haven't been grinding anything. Are they just so low because it's assumed most will just ignore everything but the main quests or something?

Lvls are sorta not a big deal. I find skill points more important, and so side quest offers them.

But who knows im only 11hours in.

keep it for hunting wildlife but buy a sharpshooter bow, the precision arrows with that do huge damage, also the tearblast arrows are amazing.

I use a hunter bow and sharpshooter for the mixture of fire and above mentioned then also use a tripcaster and a sling. Been upgrading them to better versions as I go but the mods for damage and elemental damage are the bigger deal.

How do you get tear arrows?

I for the life of me do not understand how this game was delayed and went gold very early. How in the hell does this first party studio did not have a "Headset Companion App", is beyond me. The sounds of the machines and weapons are phenomenal and is worthy of such an app. Hell, it should have had 3D audio as well, what an odd omission.

MaKTaiL

Leveling only affects the amount of health you have. What determines your damage is the weapons you use and what mods you have installed on them.

Quonny

So, Stormhawks can be easily cheesed with fire arrows + shock resist potions/armor and drop three purple mods/weaves every time you kill them.

TIME TO FARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom