• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

xviper

just finished the game

amazing! well done GG, this is Sony's best exclusive new IP since The Last of us(Bloodborne is NOT a new IP)

first of all, lets clear things up, i see a lot of people saying Horizon is like Witcher 3 and others say it's like Far Cry, to sums it up, the only thing in this game that is similar to The Withcer 3 is the side quests, they are not as good though but the their story telling is similar to Witcher 3's side quests, of course there is no choices and the story is shit in Horizon's side quests, other than that, the game is 100% a Far Cry clone, i don't mind that because i love Far Cry series

now lets get to the Pros and Cons

Pros:

+Graphics: i have to start with this, this is the most impressive thing about Horizon, the graphics is like one of those Tech Demos that look amazing but never see it on a game, but with Horizon, it achieved that, the game is STUNNING, the details are amazing, it's very impressive how they made such big open world with lots of details and still look that good

+the map is huge and varied between villages, sands, jungles, snow and more

+ enemies are amazing and varied, at first i thought they weren't enough and they are the same but when i got far into the game i realized that each enemy is unique from the other, each enemy has it's own weak spots and strategies and weak against a certain element

+ there are a lot of quests types and most of them are exactly like Far Cry

+story is good, not amazing like Witcher and MGS, but still good

The cons

- the combat, my biggest disappointment in the game, i thought he game would have a lot of melee weapons and i was wrong, the game has only 1 melee weapon that has limited attacks, ranged combat however is okay, not great but still enjoyable, to me the combat was bad because i prefer melee combat in these type of games

- the camera, probably the worst camera next to The last guardian or even worse, Aloy is either on far left or far right and a lot of times the camera switches by itself and it's annoying, and the most annoying thing about the camera is when you're in a area with lots of grass and aim up, you can't see shit because the grass will cover the screen

-the dialogue system, to sums it up, it's even worse than fallout 4 by a LOT and it doesn't change shit, why make a dialogue system when you don't know how to make one ??

-humans enemy AI is retarded, you can stand 7 meters in front of them and they can't see you

-Gear is not found or earned, you just buy them, just like Far Cry

my overall score for Horizon: Zero Dawn is 8.5\10

awesome game that deserves success, but i hope in the sequel they try to make something new instead of copying Far Cry

Totally agree.

Makes me sad that all I hear is Zelda this zelda that. I get it, the game is great. But so isn't this game and I feel there seems to be more nitpicking with Horizon because of some familiarity to other open world games. The other could be said about Zelda. But all that game get's is perfect 10. I feel because of the setting, presentation, and fine tuned gameplay with solid locked performance makes this game a top tier game.

Second to Witcher 3 in some respects mainly story and character I would say. But gameplay wise this is way more fun to play.

I feel this game got shat on by bunch of no name reviewers or people who are kind of fed up with open world games in general mainly because of comparisons to farcry's map design/side quests.
Yeah, 30 hours in, I feel Horizon is slightly underrated, game critics just play too many of the same experiences, and knock it for silly stuff. I think BOtW will get free passes just because it doesn't play like anything recent in a while. Only played a little of Zelda though and it's really fantastic, I would still score it higher than Horizon, but Horizon is definitely a 90+ game IMO. The story is just much more detailed and focused. In Zelda I'm making my own story and discovering things. In Horizon I'm unlayering chapters to a good book and being told what happened in an unspecified order. I'm not sure which will have the better lasting impression, but wow, it's a special time for gamers man.

Nice sum up Viper, glad you like it...I agree overall, just would have scored it slightly higher. Co-op, better NPC, and improved melee and platforming are things that will make this amazing game a master class title IMO. The foundation is excellent.

Stumbled upon an awesome unscripted moment up near Devil's Grief, a fight between bandits, a Bellowback, and Shellwalkers
https://streamable.com/7u0v1

And some machine-on-machine action
ZXnIhL5.gif
wFG0yZg.gif

I've just
killed the assassins with Sona
. After that I found two Saw-tooth on my way to the next objective and I noticed that Aloy is weak as fuck. I explode its weak spot and then what? How do I kill those things?

So it does seem like they are hostile by default and that's not what I'm looking for I think. I don't want to sneak my way around then when I just roam the lands. I want to walk among them. Like I want the game to be relaxing and not being too intense.

part of the story is that robots are becoming hostile recently. some robots like grazer and strider is not hostile I think, they often run away even when you attack them, although sometime 1 or 2 will stay and fight you.

Watchers are hostile, they will warn other robots if they see you. but they're also easily killed with a headshot from far.

Ferrio

Banned
Did my first cauldron
Not being able to ride a Sawtooth is lame :(. I was so excited when I unlocked the ability to overload one, I wanna ride a mecha cat!

I'm only about 3-4 hours into the game and holy crap this game is good. The visuals continue to amaze me (Pro on a 1080p TV) and I'm told that the starting area isn't even that impressive compared to later portions.

The gameplay is great, even fighting the starting area enemies is fun. I actually thought from the early trailers that some of the dodges and attacks Aloy does were QTE and I'm amazed you can do cool jumps/slides/rolls while fighting. It makes even the early level monsters a lot of fun, and I haven't even unlocked that many skills yet.

My only complaint so far is that the early tutorial and intro was too long and didn't do a great job of explaining all the features. It's like an hour worth of cutscenes and tutorials and they don't even mention the skill tree or the mod and crafting options.

Also, I am amazed that I am playing a GG game and I don't hate all the characters. I don't necessarily care about them yet but GG is headed in the right direction for once.

Playsage

I have extremely conflicting feelings on the main storyline

-
The "Project Zero Dawn" plot is amazing and is keeping me hooked
-
Seriously... STOP THROWING HUMAN SPONGES AT ME, GAME!

I am currently at
PHD headquarters

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Can anybody answer this?

I posted earlier but nothing has worked.

For whatever reason I can not use very rare modifications.

They are in my inventory but when I select a weapon slot at the crafting menu the purple modifications just do not show up as an available mod. In either weapons or armor.

Any ideas?

hbkdx12

Can anybody answer this?

They are in my inventory but when I select a weapon slot at the crafting menu the purple modifications just do not show up as an available mod. In either weapons or armor.

Any ideas?

The mod has to be something that can actually boost the effects of said weapon or armor. For example, i have like 3 corruption coils but when i go to modify my weapons i never see them because none of my weapons that i have use corruption ammo. That may be why. Otherwise im not sure.

ajanke

Can anybody answer this?

Any ideas?

If I remember correctly I think certain mods are only good for certain weapons. So you might not have the right weapon/mod combo.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The mod has to be something that can actually boost the effects of said weapon or armor. For example, i have like 3 corruption coils but when i go to modify my weapons i never see them because none of my weapons that i have use corruption ammo. That may be why. Otherwise im not sure.

This must be the answer.

Thanks.

Edit: actually maybe not. The thing that doesn't make sense to me is I have a very rare corruption damage mod that I cannot use but I can use the uncommon corruption mod which does only corruption at 6% while the purple rare one does I think 33%.

hbkdx12

I'm basically with you on a lot of the cons. I think i expected a lot more given that RPG seems to have been thrown around a lot when referencing/marketing this game. I was expecting some RPG depth along the lines of witcher where your dialogue changed the outcome of missions, finding and being rewarded with loot, and having specific and specialized playstyles. But the the RPG elements are only as deep as something like far cry and tomb raider and i don't think anyone would label those RPG. RPG lite maybe. It really just feels like a straight forward action game.

It seems like the industry likes to label everything an RPG now if you have some kind of upgrade tree and crafting system.

does anyone know what the Acquisition machines are? I have cataloged every machine in the game, but have not killed all of those ones. There doesnt seem to be a way to see what class each machine belongs to

hbkdx12

This must be the answer.

Thanks.

Edit: actually maybe not. The thing that doesn't make sense to me is I have a very rare corruption damage mod that I cannot use but I can use the uncommon corruption mod which does only corruption at 6% while the purple rare one does I think 33%.

Does the uncommon mod also have another effect to it as well?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Does the uncommon mod also have another effect to it as well?

Yes. 6 percent damage in 6% corruption but I also have a couple of the very rare mods that have just corruption, but others that are corruption and tear, and corruption and handling

Is there a way to centre the camera whilst I'm riding a mount? Having to claw my hand so that I can hold x when I'm adjusting the right stick is pretty annoying.

Is there any trick to getting some enemies to drop a heart? I need a Snapmaw heart but I've killed 10 or more and I can't seem to get one. Is it just luck or is there a way to increase your chances?

v0mitg0d

Ok, here are the last of the Hunter Trials in the Sun Furrow area. They can be tricky and have requirements (like being able to override Ravagers, etc). So if you're interested or need help, here are my little videos.

These are deffinitely the most challenging of all the Trials, particularly the Thunderjaw va Ravager. Super-fun though!

Sun Furrows Hunting Grounds: Ravager vs Machines Trial
https://youtu.be/980_ufJn7SU

Sun Furrows Hunting Grounds: Thunderjaw vs Ravager Trial
https://youtu.be/6h_XnHjrKBA

Sun Furrows Hunting Grounds: Ravager Control Trial
https://youtu.be/XSQJU4dCaVM

Gudji

haha i bet I am. It really has been such a pleasant surprise. KZ games had a great lore too but the delivery was subpar. The new writing hires have put in work!

Make sure to explore conversation options in the dialogue wheel. Some characters detail a ton of stuff.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Dumb question but how do you detonate chillwater canisters? I always seem to just break them off.

BTW I tend not to post in OTs too much since I inevitably lose self control and read tagged spoilers but I am in love with this game. Absolutely phenomenal work from Guerrilla.

Open question, can you not switch shoulders while aiming?

Man how did GG manage to achieve that? I feel like no other open world game would be able to top this visually for the rest of the gen, even Horizon 2 I feel won't be much improved (obviously if it's a PS4 title), it feels like they maxed the PS4 with this game, like how fmuch urther this poor 7870 can be pushed?!
I don't even know what TLOU II is going to look like, I really had no idea I would be seeing visuals like this on the PS4.

The cons

- the combat, my biggest disappointment in the game, i thought he game would have a lot of melee weapons and i was wrong, the game has only 1 melee weapon that has limited attacks, ranged combat however is okay, not great but still enjoyable, to me the combat was bad because i prefer melee combat in these type of games

- the camera, probably the worst camera next to The last guardian or even worse, Aloy is either on far left or far right and a lot of times the camera switches by itself and it's annoying, and the most annoying thing about the camera is when you're in a area with lots of grass and aim up, you can't see shit because the grass will cover the screen

-the dialogue system, to sums it up, it's even worse than fallout 4 by a LOT and it doesn't change shit, why make a dialogue system when you don't know how to make one ??

Combat: Disagree completely, combat is probably the best aspect of the game, it's fantastic. But I understand that you don't like shooting and setting traps so, I give you that. Melee is still an interesting tool that works well as a finisher or cleaning weak robots.

Camera: Didn't have any problems with the camera at all, maybe you're not good at controlling it? I don't know...

Dialogues: This is probably a problem for going blackout or not being interested in the game prior to launch since they've stated in several interviews that dialogues would work this way, it's there to flesh out characters and give more depth to the lore. Is not there to change the story in any way, it's intended, is not that they "don't know how to do dialogue choices".

hbkdx12

Yes. 6 percent damage in 6% corruption but I also have a couple of the very rare mods that have just corruption, but others that are corruption and tear, and corruption and handling

Hmm. I'm looking at my mods now. The only thing i can come up with is if the mod has more than 1 ability to it then whatever ability has a higher percentage that's the dominant one thus if it's not something that can apply to the weapon then you can't equip it even if the other ability is something that would work with it.

That may be why the uncommon mod worked that has 6% dmg and corruption. I have a uncommon corruption mod that's 8% corruption and 6% tear and i can't put it on anything even though tear works with just about everything. That's my assumption but im kind of just grasping at straws to be honest

mileS

I have to give up my obsession with fixing the camera over the shoulder. The game seems to always want Aloy on the right side of the screen. I'm used to 90% of other third person games that prefer the character being more so on the left side. I like how quickly I can fix it by tapping aim but at the same time I wish you could do this with a button shortcut. I just need to go with the flow more and let it be. If I focus too much on fighting it back I get taken out of the game a little bit. Thank god I recently figured you can put your weapon back on your back with L1+ Right stick press.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Hmm. I'm looking at my mods now. The only thing i can come up with is if the mod has more than 1 ability to it then whatever ability has a higher percentage that's the dominant one thus if it's not something that can apply to the weapon then you can't equip it even if the other ability is something that would work with it.

That may be why the uncommon mod worked that has 6% dmg and corruption. I have a uncommon corruption mod that's 8% corruption and 6% tear and i can't put it on anything even though tear works with just about everything. That's my assumption but im kind of just grasping at straws to be honest

That makes sense. Is corruption an ammo type?

Ulong

Melee is still an interesting tool that works well as a finisher or cleaning weak robots.

If you take the skill that increases the rate heavies knockdown enemies, melee can very easily be your primary tool for dealing with most of the medium robots. I usually kill ravagers and snapjaws entirely with melee into critical repeated.

Kalentan

Dialogues: This is probably a problem for going blackout or not being interested in the game prior to launch since they've stated in several interviews that dialogues would work this way, it's there to flesh out characters and give more depth to the lore. Is not there to change the story in any way, it's intended, is not that they "don't know how to do dialogue choices".

Exactly. If anything the system, while maybe looking like Mass Effect at a glance, has more similarities with The Witcher 3. In TW3, you do have choices, obviously, but a lot of the dialogue is just there for flavor and fluff. Hell, many of the times it will be a bunch of options to learn more and the only choice you can make is to accept a quest.

I also think expectations should be a bit different. In Fallout 4 it was more of an issue because it's supposed to be YOUR character. Aloy is her own character, same as Geralt, and so their choices can be a bit more limiting because it has to make sense for that character to say those thing rather than being what the player wants their created character to say.

pablito

Is there a way to make the quest marker just...stay in one spot and not try to direct your every turn? If I have one complaint about the game, it's the marker.

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm listening to the soundtrack on Spotify and my god I forgot how beautiful the score was in the first couple hours.

____

Is there a way to make the quest marker just...stay in one spot and not try to direct your every turn? If I have one complaint about the game, it's the marker.

Yeah, seriously. It jumps all over and is pretty inaccurate when you have any kind of distance.

Really annoying, but I guess it's a minor thing that can probably be fixed at some point.

Kalentan

haha no worries, in fact I don't think I skipped a SINGLE NPC in this game either just tryring to see what they say lol

One thing that is also fun is to go back to NPCs. Sometimes they will actually respond to another quest being completed or even an NPC that gave you a quest but ended somewhere else, you can still go back to them and they will usually have some new stuff to say.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeah, there's a certain bow that uses corruption arrows

Settings and then turn off quest and waypoint pathfinding

Can you describe the symbol for me? I think I'm going to try to buy a bow that's specifically for corruption and see if it works and then restart from my same to see if that's the issue.

Yeah, seriously. It jumps all over and is pretty inaccurate when you have any kind of distance.

Really annoying, but I guess it's a minor thing that can probably be fixed at some point.

That's because it works like a GPS, is not a marker on the objective but a guide (think like the gps line in The Witcher III). I read a few pages ago that you can disable it and just let a marker on the objetive but I'm not sure. Will do if that's the case.

Falchion

This game is going to eclipse Uncharted 4 in terms of most screenshots taken during a single playthrough. I'm going to be more of a photojournalist than an adventurer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom