• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
C6A8W6FWYAA80BK.jpg:large

After @CDProjektRed’s lovely tweet we just had to return the favor! Here’s Geralt & Aloy engaged in a little friendly competition 😉

https://twitter.com/Guerrilla/status/837735925417390085

Is there a way to make the quest marker just...stay in one spot and not try to direct your every turn? If I have one complaint about the game, it's the marker.

Turn off the quest and waypoint markers in your settings, then place a waypoint where you want to go, you will see the flag showing the waypoint, but it won't direct you how to get there...

sora87

I hate the bird enemies so much, that
storm bird
was a pain in the ass lol, so many of my resources drained :(

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Asked earlier but I think it got lost. What do you have to use to detonate chillwater canisters? I keep breaking them off instead of blowing them up.

oktarb

Protip: if you want a clean UI, set up custom hud stuff, turn off anything that won't get you killed (keep the HP bar for example), and just touch (don't press) the touchpad to see the UI when you need it. So nice to not have that ugly compass.

I turned everything off and the in viewable area Yellow quest markers still show. I really wish I could deactivate those and herb/flower/resource icons.

Are hearts and lenses good for anything other than selling them? I recently discovered that outfits require hearts :/

Yeah you need them to trade for certain equipment... so I hoard all of mine >_>

You can buy them back from any merchant at the same price you sold them. Use the Buy Back option at the bottom of the Buy list when trading to open up a list of everything you've sold to merchants. Very convenient!

zulux21

Any tips for beginners
read through the skills and figure out what sounds good to you.
there are no level requirements for skills so you can just work towards you want.

though a couple skills are locked until you progress to a certain point in the main story.

the main tips though.

in order to get exp from weapon tutorial quests you need to make them an active quest.
and you can use crafting to increase your carrying capacity.

dmix90

If you do a manual save and then load up another manual save menu then you see the play time of the saves.
Cheers! Holy shit.... 22 hours after less than 4 days.

Btw some tech props to Guerrilla:
1. Fast loading times are amazing( especially after FFXV )
2. Quick save system is brilliant.... just run near bonfire and press triangle without stopping for a second.
3. HUD options are amazing, and bringing up all available UI information when user barely touches......touchpad, is a brilliant........touch.......ugh
4. No need to say anything about graphics, just look at screenshots and videos.

Skux

When people talk about cheese strats I think they're getting it mixed up with strategy.

The ropecaster is intentionally designed for multi enemy engagements and disabling an enemy while you fight others. Just like weak points are designed for you to exploit. If you find an easy way to take out enemies by setting traps/shooting engines and actually thinking about how you approach fights to make your killls more efficient, that's the whole point.

SerTapTap

Any idea why my flaming arrows no longer cause Striders to explode when I hit them?

I'm pretty sure at some point they get armor coating around the weak point, they used to be OKHO'd now I break armor off them, then they die second hit. Not sure if there's a way around it.

Asked earlier but I think it got lost. What do you have to use to detonate chillwater canisters? I keep breaking them off instead of blowing them up.

I could be wrong, but I think you use like elements to detonate? Hit Blaze with Fire, power cells with Shock, I haven't found many enemies with Chillwater but I assume it's weak to Ice?

Bluecondor

It's interesting - I have had great luck buying games in genres that I would not normally play - that have received strong positive reviews from NeoGAF.

Two years ago - I bought MGSV (my first Metal Gear Solid game) and I loved it.

Last March - there was a lot of positive early hype for The Division, so I took a shot on it and it's still my go-to game a year later.

Now we this game. I'm not a fan of fantasy RPG games - especially ones that go really heavy on the fantasy side (elves and spells, etc.). The positive impressions on here caught my eye though and I bought it on launch day. I spent two hours playing this afternoon and I am completely hooked. What a great game!

Solid positive impressions/reviews on NeoGAF go a long way. Conversely, I was once really high on Ghost Recon, but the demo impressions (along with my own experience with the demo) are making me hesitant to buy it. I think I am going to stick with Horizon and play it all the way through.

Question about weapon abilities! There is this HAND icon ability called handling, but I'm not sure what it does. Anyone got any ideas? Thank you! Couldnt find ANYTHING online about it.

MaKTaiL

Any idea why my flaming arrows no longer cause Striders to explode when I hit them?
They have an armor surrounding it in certain regions. Shoot with regular arrow first to take it out and then shoot your flaming arrows later.

Question about weapon abilities! There is this HAND icon ability called handling, but I'm not sure what it does. Anyone got any ideas? Thank you! Couldnt find ANYTHING online about it.
Handling improves arrow reload speed and how long it takes to draw it. If you go to the Weapons Inventory tab you will see what each icon stands for and what it does. Freeze status, for example, increases the damage you inflict onto the enemy.

SerTapTap

BTW did I screw something up or does continuing the main story to the
thing with the Roman dudes
as soon as you can (or even after a few more hours of dilly-dallying) really ramp up the difficulty like mad? I could barely handle the birds up there, and I saw a friggin thunderjaw 8 levels above me, the bulls were 5 levels above me. I survived my way to town but it feels like I shouldn't be here yet, but I'm a little sparse on things to do in the easier place.

Or maybe I'm just not using the right stuff. I still lean very heavily on my fast shooting bow. Been meaning to use the ropecaster and elemental weapons more.

Dialogues: This is probably a problem for going blackout or not being interested in the game prior to launch since they've stated in several interviews that dialogues would work this way, it's there to flesh out characters and give more depth to the lore. Is not there to change the story in any way, it's intended, is not that they "don't know how to do dialogue choices".

I love that they did it this way .
Have a strong story while also giving us more about the world and characters .

Nyx

At first I was doing only the main quests resulting in me going to M... at level 7 already.
Of course I met a lot of creatures that were very scary, so I went back to the starting area and started doing the sidequests, so glad I did. :)

Such a fantastic game, though I do admit the graphics, audio and setting do a whole lot for me already. Combat is great too though, I've put aside Nioh cause I find it too hard and frustrating, but in this game I feel like it's a challenge but I can do it.

Going to be hard to top this as my GOTY I think, but let's see.

They have an armor surrounding it in certain regions. Shoot with regular arrow first to take it out and then shoot your flaming arrows later.

Handling improves arrow reload speed and how long it takes to draw it. If you go to the Weapons Inventory tab you will see what each icon stands for and what it does. Freeze status, for example, increases the damage you inflict onto the enemy.

Excellent! I thought so, thanks a bunch. Now I know where to look too.

SerTapTap

I love that they did it this way .
Have a strong story while also giving us more about the world and characters .

I like the dialog once I noticed that no, this isn't mass effect, it's just a way for you to express yourself a bit and extract more information/lore. Reminds me of Morrowind, reading all the responses vs just taking the quest and running.

Been using all the "brain" responses. Smartass Aloy is so good, and it feels "canon" to me considering she's often a bit of a smartass unprompted

After 20ish hours on very hard, I'm bumping the difficulty down to normal for bandit camps.

I hate how tanky the humans are and how headshots with the normal bow aren't an instant kill. The robot fights have been a lot of fun and a good challenge but I feel I should be rewarded for a clean shot to the head on bandits. I'll probably switch between difficulties depending on the activity from now on.

Yea, it's pretty stupid. I don't mind the human encounters so much but I feel like it's impossible to stealth kill them with a bow as you progress.

A headshot should be a kill, no matter the difficulty.

Yea, it's pretty stupid. I don't mind the human encounters so much but I feel like it's impossible to stealth kill them with a bow as you progress.

A headshot should be a kill, no matter the difficulty.

Headshot from a precision arrow is an insta kill, even on human elites.

I cleared a full camp of 20+ level 25 bandit elites with it. Full stealth, one shot everyone.

SerTapTap

Oh, THAT'S what the precision bow is for? It just felt bad when I tried it out against robots.

Maybe I'm wrong:

Haven't used the War Bow so if this works that's cool.

Try it out, hitting certain things with elements overloads them and causes an AOE explosion of that element around the target too. Found it out on accident because of the tutorial quest for the war bow

Headshot from a precision arrow is an insta kill, even on human elites.

I cleared a full camp of 20+ level 25 bandit elites with it. Full stealth, one shot everyone.

Yea, but even on very hard, you start off the game by being able to one hit kill bandits with regular arrows. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to have the bandits suddenly become immune to an arrow to the head.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm pretty sure at some point they get armor coating around the weak point, they used to be OKHO'd now I break armor off them, then they die second hit. Not sure if there's a way around it.

I could be wrong, but I think you use like elements to detonate? Hit Blaze with Fire, power cells with Shock, I haven't found many enemies with Chillwater but I assume it's weak to Ice?
Neat. I didn't care for the Warbow but maybe I should try that out. Haven't seen any enemies with power cells yet.

Yea, but even on very hard, you start off the game by being able to one hit kill bandits with regular arrows. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to have the bandits suddenly become immune to an arrow to the head.

They're wearing masks and protective helmets :p

You shouldn't be able to one shot kill the elites with the normal arrow anyway. Even the skill tree has an upgrade for one hit stealth kill on elites.

BTW the normal arrow does insta kill normal bandits (non elites) with a headshot.

Loving this game so far. It's just so good! An amazing detail that blew my mind was how Aloy talks to herself. Well when she does this in the mountains you can hear her voice echo through the mountains! Crazy. Random screenshot:

0Z5Kn3h.png

cripterion

I've been enjoying the game but not really fond of the loot system. It's a bit shit imo. Getting a purple bow doesn't feel different from a regular bow, just gives you different skills I feel. I've kept the default bow in my loadout and that's what I pretty much used most of the time with traps...
I'm near lvl 30 and finding it easier just to knock foes with R2 now and poke that ass than using a multitude of arrows, wether it's from carja or shadow whatever. And all my bows are modded with purple stuff.

After coming from Nioh the loot leaves a lot to be desired but like I've said, rest of the game is awesome and still enjoying myself so far.

MaKTaiL

How do you guys manage to make a pack (?) of Glazers go in a specific direction?
Use a slingshot explosion behind them and they will go to the opposite direction.

I've been enjoying the game but not really fond of the loot system. It's a bit shit imo. Getting a purple bow doesn't feel different from a regular bow, just gives you different skills I feel. I've kept the default bow in my loadout and that's what I pretty much used most of the time with traps...
I'm near lvl 30 and finding it easier just to knock foes with R2 now and poke that ass than using a multitude of arrows, wether it's from carja or shadow whatever. And all my bows are modded with purple stuff.

After coming from Nioh the loot leaves a lot to be desired but like I've said, rest of the game is awesome and still enjoying myself so far.
High level gear might have the same stats, but they offer different ammo types and 3 slots for mods which you can use to further increase the weapon's power.

They're wearing masks and protective helmets :p

You shouldn't be able to one shot kill the elites with the normal arrow anyway. Even the skill tree has an upgrade for one hit stealth kill on elites.

BTW the normal arrow does insta kill normal bandits (non elites) with a headshot.

Fair enough. Guess I'm just not a fan of the bandit encounters as they currently setup. The AI is kinda messy and I hate wasting resources on them.

SerTapTap

The weapons aren't loot, period, that's your problem. The higher rank weapons just have more ammo types available and modification slots. (mods ARE loot, and I'd admit they are a little tame and not always worth the effort involved though)

The weapons aren't rare drops or anything. They're not drops at all, actually, from what I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom