• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryMoth

Kind of wish day / night was scripted for certain moments and mission. Just had a scene with 2 character looking out over what seems to be a crazy vista but can hardly see anything cos it's the dead of night haha

zulux21

How do you guys manage to make a pack (?) of Glazers go in a specific direction?

I don't, I sneak up behind them and gain my half of a level by silent strike killing them all MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

(if I am thinking of the right ones, but I think I am)

nOoblet16

Kind of wish day / night was scripted for certain moments and mission. Just had a scene with 2 character looking out over what seems to be a crazy vista but can hardly see anything cosmits the dead of night haha
They sort of are though, for main missions. The ToD will change quickly if it doesn't match the specified ToD for that mission leading to a very abrupt change.

I do wish they should have gone all or nothing route though, either have fixed ToD or just have fully dynamic one where you can see the shadows moving, weather changing and all happening gradually. None of this static Tod for a while then abrupt changes bs.

Zackat

Farming health plants takes way too long. Probably my only complaint. Where do you guys go to farm up some? Riverside tends to be good but it still takes a while.

nOoblet16

Farming health plants takes way too long. Probably my only complaint. Where do you guys go to farm up some? Riverside tends to be good but it still takes a while.
I kind of wish they had this thing from FC4 where you can upgrade a skill so that your main character doesn't do any pick up animation and it simply goes to your inventory when you press the button.

Anyhow you don't really have to worry about health plants much, potions are what you need and you'll find them as loot or you can craft them. Health plant is more like secondary health pack.

Health packs farming? I've never even used a health pack, the medicine pouch is all you need. Upgrade it to carry 3x the base amount.

Gambit61

Since no one else had...

SBcGZZC.gif

Holy crap, now I know not to get close when I run into this thing.

30h in and I'm really loving this game. Easily the best looking game I've ever played, the fact that it's open-world and has such a great performance is just unbelievable.

But the best part for me is the gameplay. The controls are really tight and the combat is amazing for the most part (the melee hitboxes can be a bit "iffy" sometimes but that's about it). This is what sets this game apart from the other open-world games, controling Aloy either on foot or mount and fighting even the most basic machines feels extremely good, they completely nailed it.

Now they just have to improve the dialogue quality and also create characters that can express emotions like a real human being, because besides Aloy and a couple of others, the majority are really awkward lol. The stiff facial expressions also doesn't help. It's not a big deal to me though since I care much more about the gameplay because that's what makes me want to play this game more and more.

Also, ropecaster -> sling (freeze) -> blast sling is OP af. The R2 melee after upgraded followed by a critical hit is also extremely powerful and can take care of most machines (excluding the big ones obviously). Playing on hard difficulty.

late game spoilers but I laughed so hard when on the last mission
you go to climb the spire and Aloy yells Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh like show me your warface
bwhahaha

hrm.

20h in.

That the game is gorgeous and animates well goes without saying.

That there are, apparently, no settings whatsoever to adjust camera sensitivity is immensely grating. This is compounded by the fact that the camera is horrendously slow in detective mode.

Combat is fun, but the rpg trappings with the guns feel so trite that they might as well not be there. The tear/sniper bow will obviously only benefit from tear or sniper mods, so what's the point of giving the player the false choice between all these samey mods? Is a problem compounded by items like the Blast Sling, which benefits from +dmg aaaand... +dmg. Not like they couldn't have dropped the pretense, since they've done just that with the spear.

Equippable clothes are interesting, even if i don't find most of them visually appealing. To each his own.

Aloy is very fluid when walking around, on rails af when climbing, surprisingly free when jumping, and horrendously clunky when meleeing, partially due to how canned the melee animations are, i suspect. Props for allowing you to shift to a critical strike midway through a heavy swing, tho.

Overall... this just feels like a MUCH better looking Ubisoft Game to me, and it's not like ubi hadn't already done mecha-fauna before >___>. Laughed a bit when i saw the climbable towers and the enemy outposts awaiting clearing. Then let a sigh after buying the collectible maps and seeing that they failed to resist taking that route.

kinda disappointed, tbh.
-
oh and whoever decided that there should be no hud option to deactivate the floating objective marker should be kicked in the nuts. Unless there is and i failed to find it even with custom hud.

Really loving this game so far. Still early on, only level 8. But I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the equipment the merchants suddenly have. Are there any weapons in particular I should go for?

nOoblet16

I've been enjoying the game but not really fond of the loot system. It's a bit shit imo. Getting a purple bow doesn't feel different from a regular bow, just gives you different skills I feel. I've kept the default bow in my loadout and that's what I pretty much used most of the time with traps...
I'm near lvl 30 and finding it easier just to knock foes with R2 now and poke that ass than using a multitude of arrows, wether it's from carja or shadow whatever. And all my bows are modded with purple stuff.

After coming from Nioh the loot leaves a lot to be desired but like I've said, rest of the game is awesome and still enjoying myself so far.
You are doing it wrong, firstly weapons aren't loot here and this isn't a loot based game. The loot here is used for crafting items and supplies which is a different design philosophy from what you see in NioH.

Secondly you are missing out on a LOAD of stuff if you are sticking to original bow. For instance the War bow is entirely there for debuffs, the sharpshooter bow is this game's sniper rifle and it also has an ammo called tear ammo which will take down enemy parts with 1-2 arrow rather than shooting 15 arrows at the part to take it down. Lastly the purple hunter bow lets you use heavy arrows which do considerably more damage.

Basically:

1) Hunter Bow: Damage + fire debuff
2) War Bow: All other debuffs + corruption which temporarily makes enemies aggro on each other
3) Sharpshooter Bow: Sniper + Tearing down parts

The purple version of each lets you use 3 different ammo types, blue one lets you use 2 different while the green ones are limited to just one ammo type.

If you are using the same now from start of the game then you haven't experienced tear arrows. They are game changers, you can shoot one at a Thunderjaw to take its disc launcher down and then use the disclauncher to kill the Thunderjaw from full health.

Kaizer

Banned
Really loving this game so far. Still early on, only level 8. But I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the equipment the merchants suddenly have. Are there any weapons in particular I should go for?

Personally I'm a big fan of the Carja Sharpshot Bow, it's basically the sniper weapon of this game. It's useful for knocking components off of the robots with tear arrows. The Ropecaster can also be helpful against larger enemies & flying enemies when you need to get them down for a critical hit.

Lunar FC

So I'm like 12 hours in and still using that Carja Hunter Bow, am I fucking up? I feel like I don't understand the differences in the bows. I don't even know what half of the icons even mean. Does the game go over them anywhere?

I played a tiny bit more. The side quests and "errands" seem to fall into the same traps as other RPGs. Basically the first one has you kill five rabbits, which is exactly the kind of thing Witcher 3 tried to avoid.

As far back as Witcher 2 CDProjekt tried to find ways around that kind of quest design, usually by making the process deeper (destroy three nests) or adding some quirk to every one of them (solve a puzzle at each one, or make some kind of moral choice). More importantly Witcher 2 and 3 tried to make the tasks in their quests seem less mundane. I point this out because Horizon draws a lot from Witcher 3 and that's exactly what makes Witcher 3 stand out among open-world RPGs.

Haven't gotten my copy of Zelda yet but I hear it's a lot more systemic than most of the biggest open-world games around today. People are comparing it to Far Cry 2 in that aspect. What I'm starting to think happened is Nintendo fused the open-world formula together with some Minecraft-esque survival elements and the latter's totally open structure, and may have even borrowed more of Skyrim's systemic systems than any other game that pulls from Skyrim. Most games that do so seem to only borrow Skyrim's interface and overall quest structure, but not the way NPCs and the world react to the player and each other.

Anyway, before I digress too much, if I get more interested in Horizon for any reason it'll probably be the setting and story. The actual game is a smorgasbord of other games but the setting does post-apocalyptic in a way that's a bit different for video games. I'd like to get into that first town and see the other communities.

Yeah I actually posted something similar yesterday regarding the sidequests, minus the comparison to Witcher 3. I was under the impression that the side quests were similar to Witcher 3 as well going in, but so far almost all of them have been of the go here and collect/kill 5 of this variety. Even the ones that broke that mold weren't particularly interesting.

I think I'm mainly going to focus to the main quest and cauldrons for now because all the NPCs I've come across have been bog-standard. Their voice acting and dialogue is just so flat.(despite the fact that Aloy's character and voice acting is really well done).

I'm hoping this improves further on. I haven't been to Meridian yet, but I'm going as soon as I do the first cauldron. I almost went to Meridian without doing it haha. Anyways, the main plot seems interesting enough and I can't wait to see more on that front.

Nyx

You are doing it wrong, firstly weapons aren't loot here and this isn't a loot based game. The loot here is used for crafting items and supplies which is a different design philosophy from what you see in NioH.

Secondly you are missing out on a LOAD of stuff if you are sticking to original bow. For instance the War bow is entirely there for debuffs, the sharpshooter bow is this game's sniper rifle and it also has an ammo called tear ammo which will take down enemy parts with 1-2 arrow rather than shooting 15 arrows at the part to take it down. Lastly the purple hunter bow lets you use heavy arrows which do considerably more damage.

Basically:

1) Hunter Bow: Damage + fire debuff
2) War Bow: All other debuffs + corruption which temporarily makes enemies aggro on each other
3) Sharpshooter Bow: Sniper + Tearing down parts

The purple version of each lets you use 3 different ammo types, blue one lets you use 2 different while the green ones are limited to just one ammo type.

If you are using the same now from start of the game then you haven't experienced tear arrows. They are game changers, you can shoot one at a Thunderjaw to take its disc launcher down and then use the disclauncher to kill the Thunderjaw from full health.

Guess I need to buy two new bows haha, thanks for this post.

CHC

Haha yup I see what you guys are saying with that one Hunter's Lodge datalog, totally a bug / oversight.....

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yes, I knew fucking trecking it all the way north without a mount would be worth it for .. one figurine and a lv 12 side quest -_-

need to invest more points in the 'summon ride anywhere' skill.

mileS

Whats the ability that makes you harder to see even when not in tall grass? low profile or something? I've heard some comments from people saying the stealth outfits kind of break the game. I can only imagine the two together. Can anyone comment on this talent?

I have to say i am really liking the story so far .
Yes it has been done in many ways but it has been told very well.
Ties in very nicely with the world etc etc .

Kaizer

Banned
Oh man, just had an awesome battle against a Corruptor, Scrappers & Watchers at the Carja Border Fort Gate! Since I have the Sharpshot Bow, I immediately took off the Corruptor's weapons then used the Ropecaster to get him down & finish him with crits.

LOVING the combat in this game - when you get in the flow of being mobile, dodging/rolling around, & switching weapons on-the-fly, things coalesce into these epic moments of badassery. I haven't tangled with Thunderjaws yet, but I'm extremely eager to!

george_us

Was riding a serious high with this game until the first bandit camp. Yeah, that was pretty awful. The AI was terrible.
Yeah that shit is was terrible. Probably the only bandit camp I'll be doing lol. I also hope there won't be too many human encounters during the main story.
Overall... this just feels like a MUCH better looking Ubisoft Game to me, and it's not like ubi hadn't already done mecha-fauna before >___>. Laughed a bit when i saw the climbable towers and the enemy outposts awaiting clearing. Then let a sigh after buying the collectible maps and seeing that they failed to resist taking that route.
I'm only 6 hours in or so but sadly, I'm kind of getting this feeling. It's polished to hell and back (except for the awful human encounters) but the sense of "newness" is starting to wear off and the feeling of "I've played this many times before" is starting to creep in. Fighting robo beasts is still pretty cool tho. We'll see how long that carries me through.

Toni

Thunderjaw is overrated, easy peasy.

I had more problems with Stormbirds. I just avoid them now.

What!?. Hell no.

Im level 18 and encountered my first Thnderjaw and it was ridiculously difficult. It has a long health pool and Carja Hunter Bow/Carja Precision Bows barely did anything to it.

Ropecaster is also useless against it.

I just didnt know what to do, so I just fled. It either 1-shot me or 2-shot me easily.

Maaaan, came across and beat the first cauldron, amazing, so much fun. The aesthetics of it is incredible and the exact sort of thing I'm drawn to.

JawzPause

Graphics are ridiculous. How is this the best looking game I've ever played and it's open world!?
Seriously Guerilla are wizards

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Just got out into the proper open world bit and fuck me this game is already much better than expected. I feel like people have downplayed the quality of the story, I'm really enjoying it.

Edit: Also it's so refreshing playing something entirely new. I have no idea what to expect.

What!?. Hell no.

Im level 18 and encountered my first Thnderjaw and it was ridiculously difficult. It has a long health pool and Carja Hunter Bow/Carja Precision Bows barely did anything to it.

I just didnt know what to do, so I just fled. It either 1-shot me or 2-shot me easily.

Tear everything off it and it'll become a simple charging bull.

What!?. Hell no.

You need to get a better ropecaster .
With one and some tear arrows it becomes rather easy .

I find the stormbird and rockbreaker more troublesome than the thunderjaw.

Wagram

Having played around 35 hours now I want to write up a few brief thoughts. When I started Horizon I was super, super high on it because of the story, characters, introduction to the world, graphics, music, and the dinos. In the time since the 10 hour mark (which is when I stopped doing main story to explore) i've come down a few pegs mostly due to exploration and combat. I think it's mostly good and at times brilliant, but it does suffer from the same old symptoms of countless other open world games. That feeling of i'm exploring, but all I ever see are new vistas rather than new locations with depth and reward beneath the surface. The side quests are also a step up from other open world titles, but they don't have the depth of Witcher 3 (which may or may not be unfair since I really care for that universe). Combat is also a bit janky at times with really silly AI and movement tracking. I'm feeling that how I ultimately feel about Horizon will be determined when I get back to the main scenario (which is great btw) and where that leads me.

Kill3r7

This might be my game of the generation. I am completely stunned.

It is undoubtedly tons of fun and I can't stop playing it, literally trading sleep to play a few hours each night. However from a gameplay perspective it is not that much different than FC4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom