• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm like 12 hours in and still using that Carja Hunter Bow, am I fucking up? I feel like I don't understand the differences in the bows. I don't even know what half of the icons even mean. Does the game go over them anywhere?

Go to the crafting menu, ammo, I think it tells you there.

Welp, had to lower the difficulty to hard. Very hard was getting too insane for me and I ended up trying to avoid fights rather than take them on and I don't really want to detract from my first run enjoyment too much.

Double corrupted Sawtooths
just kicked my ass over and over again like no tomorrow lol.

VanWinkle

Yeah that shit is was terrible. Probably the only bandit camp I'll be doing lol. I also hope there won't be too many human encounters during the main story.

I'm only 6 hours in or so but sadly, I'm kind of getting this feeling. It's polished to hell and back (except for the awful human encounters) but the sense of "newness" is starting to wear off and the feeling of "I've played this many times many times before" is starting to creep in. Fighting robo beasts is still pretty cool tho. We'll see how long that carries me through.

I guess it benefits me that I haven't played many open world Ubisoft games at all.

Since no one else had...

SBcGZZC.gif
My God, that thing is huge. I dread the day I happen across one.

So..... Realistically when you get near end game, how much of the skill tree's do you have filled out?

I've been focusing pretty heavy on the left and haven't ventured out to the middle or right yet. Am I making a big mistake?

So I'm at a point in the game where the NPC quest giver describes a 'point of no return'.

Can I beat this mission and go back? I'm 30-40 hours in and have a myriad of sidequests and collectibles to clean up.

I'm glad I got to the desert border outpost when it was dark. I'm not quite ready to move on and since I couldn't see much in the distance I didn't really spoil anything. Now I think I'll avoid returning there until I'm ready to advance and soak in all the desert loveliness.

MaKTaiL

So..... Realistically when you get near end game, how much of the skill tree's do you have filled out?

I've been focusing pretty heavy on the left and haven't ventured out to the middle or right yet. Am I making a big mistake?
I'm level 30 and have almost all right skills unlocked. Almost haven't touched the left or middle yet.

dealer-

Well there are good skills in the middle and right so it can be useful.

Knock Down is pretty OP. Heavy spear attacks make light work of a lot of machine fights. It's the third down, third across on the Brave skill set.

Triple Shot is also good for the bow. Also in the Brave tree.

Then I got Call Mount + for getting about easier. You call in an override mount at any time. That's on the Forager tree.

CHC

I'm really not into how the camera gets in real close when you enter town. I get what they're going for but it's too damn zoomed in. Normal camera out in the world is perfect.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Thought I was OP and had made the rest of the game a cake walk as I left the further parameters of the starting area and fully went off into the outer, unexplored parts of the map... man did that put me in my place. :p

Haha I had a similar experience. Left the main area as trekked towards Meridian. Came across some soldiers fighting with long horns, and decided to help out. Worst mistake ever. While I'm dealing with them, Glinthawks decide to crash the party, and I'm now facing an aerial and land attack. I keep trying to stay clear, and I didn't realise something worse was lurking in the waters behind me. Enter Snapjaws!

I'm literally screaming at this point, and my buddy is having a fit watching me running around like a headless chicken. I use up all the health potions I had, and manage to flee from the area with almost no health. I ran into a Walker and went, "finally, someone I could bully!"

george_us

I guess it benefits me that I haven't played many open world Ubisoft games at all.
Yeah if you haven't played many Ubi games, or Western AAA games in general, then Horizon is definitely going to feel super fresh and amazing. Right now I just wish Horizon had something more that separates itself from those games besides its combat and a shitload of polish. But like I said, I'm only 6 hours in or so. My opinion could do a complete 180.

Yeah if you haven't played many Ubi games, or Western AAA games in general, then Horizon is definitely going to feel super fresh and amazing. Right now I just wish Horizon had something more that separates itself from those games besides its combat and a shitload of polish. But like I said, I'm only 6 hours in or so. My opinion could do a complete 180.

I don't really think it needs anything more than combat, concept and good writing to seperate itself from other titles, especially WRPGs.

It's not as if something like TW3 introduced several new concepts as opposed to repackaging and delivering a high polished experience.

I've played a bunch of open world titles and Horizon feels fresh as hell. There's a sense of danger in most encounters that I simply haven't felt in most RPGs.

cheesekao

I want to come here and day that the combat loop in this game is incredibly satisfying. The variety and complexity of the enemies make the game so much better than fighting humans with guns for the millionth time.

VanWinkle

I kind of understand it, since this was a really ambitious move on Guerrilla's and Sony's part. I get why they played it sort of safe with some of that stuff.

Hopefully in the sequel they'll be able to venture outside of those conventions some.

george_us

I don't really think it needs anything more than combat, concept and good writing to seperate itself from other titles, especially WRPGs.

It's not as if something like TW3 introduced several new concepts as opposed to repackaging and delivering a high polished experience.

I've played a bunch of open world titles and Horizon feels fresh as hell. There's a sense of danger in most encounters that I simply haven't felt in most RPGs.
The only feeling I can compare it to is eating so much of a delicious food that eventually you get sick of it, no matter how well prepared it is.

nOoblet16

What!?. Hell no.

Im level 18 and encountered my first Thnderjaw and it was ridiculously difficult. It has a long health pool and Carja Hunter Bow/Carja Precision Bows barely did anything to it.

Ropecaster is also useless against it.

I just didnt know what to do, so I just fled. It either 1-shot me or 2-shot me easily.
That's because precision arrows primarily give you range, they don't really do that much more damage than normal arrows. If you want raw damage you have to use triple shot heavy arrows. And he really is super easy to take down. You are using the wrong arrows and equipment. Ropecaster works on it but you have to use more ropes, unless you have a purple ropecaster in which case you need about 2-3 ropes. The rope down time shortens if you hit an enemy so many that's what's happening with you. Ropes should really be used to give yourself a window of opportunity to lay traps and get a safe distance.

The three easiest way to take him down:

1) 1 tear arrow to disc launcher, it disengages the disc launcher. Pick it up and you can essentially burn him down from full health to zero health just using disc launcher.

2) Bring him down using ropecaster, put fire debuff on...repeat. It's weak to fire and takes massive damage.

3) Set blast and fire traps/tripwires pre engagement. A few of those he'll be down to half health in a second. When he is recovering bring him down again with ropecaster and lay new traps. Repeat.

If you use strategy 1 then you could probably kill him in 20 seconds without even being touched. No matter the difficulty or level.

Quick question for anybody who streams regularly who might know better than me:

I'm looking at the Twitch videos of my streams of Horizon, and it seems like whenever I move the camera around the resolution gets destroyed and everything goes all blurry. But then when the camera isn't moving everything is fine. Here's a minor example: (early encounter spoilers) Just some minor graphical problems. It gets really bad when there's a lot on the screen: you can see it at its worst here (spoilers for first Sawtooth fight). Do you think this is just Twitch being bad? Or maybe I need to take a look at my own internet capabilities? Or is it Horizon being so graphically intensive - I'm running on a regular PS4.

I didn't notice these issues in videos when I was streaming FFXV, so I dunno what's different aside from having more to render in motion in Horizon.

Linius

Just dropping by to say this game is pretty great so far. Think I've played about 5 hours or so. Did my first bandit camp and tallneck. Both of which do really remind me of Ubisoft games like mentioned above. Luckily it's been awhile since I've fully invested in a Ubi open world game, probably Far Cry 3. And since the setting of this game is fresh (fucking robot dinosaurs) and the RPG side of the game is pretty solid it's a blast to play this game. Looks amazing as well to top things of. Looking forward to exploring much more of the world and the story. So far I keep getting sidetracked since the moment I set foot in the world behind the gates of the sacred lands.

Kin5290

Jesus fuck, I cannot beat this
Fire Bellowback boss
. Not even getting close.
Use a frost sling, hit the weak points with high damage arrows while it's frozen.

Are you doing Cauldron Sigma? The Fire Bellowback is a lot easier than dodging the Watchers that come with it there.

Omg i just fought my first Thunderjaw on the way to Meridian and that was so fucking exhilarating. Got the same rush you get from beating a dark souls boss

I can't figure out what I'm supposed to scan in "A moment's peace."

EDIT: Annnndd I figured it out. lol, either it wasn't showing up yesterday, or I was blind yesterday.

Lunar FC

Freeze bombs and or rope caster, break it's sack for explosive damage
Don't wildly shoot your enemies, focus your shots on specific points

Shock trapping him until I could fire arrow his canisters finally did the trick. I hadnt been using explosives at all until this fight.

First real challenge of the game imo.

Use a frost sling, hit the weak points with high damage arrows while it's frozen.

Are you doing Cauldron Sigma? The Fire Bellowback is a lot easier than dodging the Watchers that come with it there.

I havent even bought a sling yet.

But I just took out the watchers before fighting him.

HowZatOZ

Banned
So, I have a weird bug or something. Just finished the Nora Proving Grounds, got all gold yet it hasn't completed the errand. I have to talk to someone named Ligan but I can't find them? Any help?

Edit: nevermind, it's now showing the correct location on the map.

This game is too fuken good, best open world game Ive ever played, its the perfect package worth the $60, GG y u so gud? Thank god u gave up on Killzone or we would never have this masterpiece

CrazyHal

I was having fun for a while but now i'm having some major fustrations with the combat. It seems to me that the hitboxes of some enemy attacks are way to wide. There's many times where i clearly dodge an attack but still somehow get hit. Theres also some times when i clearly get hit but don't lose any healt for some reason. I'm also not a fan how some projectiles can hurt you even if they don't hit you directly.

It's a shame because most battles are good fun. My first time hunting a thunderjaw was fucking awesome. But then i fough the
big mole thing in the mire
and the hitboxes on some of it's attacks was ridiculous.

zulux21

This game is too fuken good, best open world game Ive ever played, its the perfect package worth the $60, GG y u so gud? Thank god u gave up on Killzone or we would never have this masterpiece

I feel bad for killzone fans, but at the same time I hope GG never makes another one and they just focus on more games like horizon.

X-Frame

I'd love for GG to somehow improve the Human AI to make them more challenging to fight against, while at the same time reducing their HP so they're not so tanky.

It's literally my only real complaint. Otherwise I am enjoying the hell out of fighting the robot animals on Very Hard. Each fighting encounter I make sure to spec my armor to resist what they're strength is, to equip weaponry to exploit their weaknesses, lay down traps and trip mines, and open with Tear Arrows at their major weak points.

I also am trying to always have a RoboRoach nearby for backup -- those things like the Chargers will kick the shit out of some enemies.

MaKTaiL

So, I have a weird bug or something. Just finished the Nora Proving Grounds, got all gold yet it hasn't completed the errand. I have to talk to someone named Ligan but I can't find them? Any help?
The quest never "completes", it's not a bug just a wierd design decision. The guy you have to talk to is located in Meridian which is very far away from where you are right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom