• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

LogicStep

What are the odds of the special edition art book coming back in stock? Debating if I should wait or get the regular one. I'm in love with this game and would like to own something like the art book for example.

The Carja Storm Ranger outfit (one of the deluxe edition DLC outfits) seems glitched for me, or at least something is up with the armour system.

I've been using it for much of the game too.

The thing is, it reduces the damage I take by like, 90%. But if I equip another piece of armour with similar or better stats it has no where near the same effect.

I've been testing this against the Thunderjaw's tail swipe. In Nora Survivor Heavy Gear with 23% physical damage resistance the Thunderjaw tail swipe takes about 90% of my health, and he has some other attacks that can one-shot kill me.

In the DLC outfit (Carja Storm Ranger) this same attack deals about 15% of my health.

Something is up here, and it might be what's causing the disparity between perceptions of difficulty too. Because I've noticed some people say this is game is really hard. It's really hard if I wear the wrong outfit, and I literally mean the wrong outfit. Because certain outfits get me one-shot even if they have better stats!

HeelPower

Holy fuck how does this game look so good ???????????????

A massive leap in visual quality...And its open world.

Just wtf!!!!!!!!!!!!

x3r0123

my god this game is beautiful

QflKqON.jpg

Reached daytower now just before logging off for tonight. Excited for what seems to be a new type of environment next. Was really surprised my playtime is already 12 hours, hasn't felt like that long at all.

Still really loving the story and the world. A bit slower going now than the frantic first few hours but that's kind of my fault for doing every side quest I come upon.

Once you hit daytower, the game gets considerably more difficult. Like you walk into that area and the machines are like "you walked into the wrong neighborhood sister

Once you get the hard point arrows and the carja shadow bow you can go up to machines that once gave you a hard time and tell them they are stuck in here with you. The thunderbirds are easy to cheese if you take out its projectile launcher and throw down some explosive trip wire, its smart enough to not walk into them and dumb enough to not think to fly around them to get at you

HeelPower

Man I'm loving this crossover romance.

Yeah dude, seriously. It should be illegal for games to look this good. This is even better than the initial Witcher 3 reveal gifs.

Yeah, I don't think I can go back to other open world games after this.

I just started 2 hours ago.Its baffling to me.

Also, the presentation of the story is so great.It tastes of greatness in the making.

This gen might be the best ever in gaming.We used to dream about stuff like this back in the day.

Zakalwe

Banned
A good few hours in. The game is great, combat being a highlight. I love how finely tuned and useable the active UI is meaning I have to spend as little time deep in menus as possible.

I also like how the mechanic is fit right in with combat instead of restricting it to a more realistic design.

The game feels very much like an (extremely refined) action game, set in a stunning open world, with some relatively shallow RPG systems.

The writing and story so far are ok. The creators should be commended for the way they handled inclusivity, it feels very balanced and natural, but the actual characters aside from Aloy range from annoying to bland to serviceable. The story itself is by the numbers, and even the fantasy setting with a hidden sci-fi history lore is pretty generic.

The naming conventions in this game are really bad too. From the title itself which feels like three cool words tacked together, to the in-game names such as the Caja. None of it's bad but plenty of it is overly familiar. It feels a bit like it a trying too hard to be cool at times.

And that's the biggest flaw this game has so far: it's a bit too generic.

Technically, every singular thing it does ranges from good to industry leading, and it reaches the latter too often to call this game anything other than very good, imo. The sheer force of the polish and technical achievement is staggering (the game does have some audio and visual bugs though, but nothing above the norm for an open world).

However, it doesn't quite hit instant classic status, not yet (just rescued
Ersa
) anyway, and the world just does isn't drawing me in. It might do as we progress, and I'm certainly not having a bad time.

For me this feels like an incredible action game (jogging while aiming your bow was a masterful decision, everything about the combat is superb) with the RPG stuff tagged on. Nothing about the lore, writing, or characters (Aloy aside) is overly appealing, and the familiarity of the game's design causes some fatigue.

It's a very good game, a great technical achievement, and I think the sequel could be incredible. A very strong start to the inevitable franchise.

Zackat

The Carja Storm Ranger outfit (one of the deluxe edition DLC outfits) seems glitched for me, or at least something is up with the armour system.

I've been using it for much of the game too.

The thing is, it reduces the damage I take by like, 90%. But if I equip another piece of armour with similar or better stats it has no where near the same effect.

I've been testing this against the Thunderjaw's tail swipe. In Nora Survivor Heavy Gear with 23% physical damage resistance the Thunderjaw tail swipe takes about 90% of my health, and he has some other attacks that can one-shot kill me.

In the DLC outfit (Carja Storm Ranger) this same attack deals about 15% of my health.

Something is up here, and it might be what's causing the disparity between perceptions of difficulty too. Because I've noticed some people say this is game is really hard. It's really hard if I wear the wrong outfit, and I literally mean the wrong outfit. Because certain outfits get me one-shot even if they have better stats!

You are so right about this. This armor is bugged. You get hit for piddly shit by almost everything. Shock attacks hit me for full value. I wonder if you put a mod in it gives you the maximum resistance to the element.

Zakalwe

Banned
Oh, and I wish this game had a loot system with more weapons or interesting mods to find.

While the actual gameplay and visuals make exploring the world rewarding, and while there is some cool stuff to find, I think a well design
loot system could have added a lot to my desire to explore.

I don't mean loot raining like Diablo, but something. Finding chests in this game never really feels that exciting...

You are so right about this. This armor is bugged. You get hit for piddly shit by almost everything. Shock attacks hit me for full value. I wonder if you put a mod in it gives you the maximum resistance to the element.

Is it just with that piece of armour or others? I feel like the Carja dlc outfit is overly effective, but others are completely ineffective. Feels like none of the mods you apply to them do anything at all.

In general the games armour system seems a bit messed up.

The biggest issue this game has visually is the LOD textures when you are looking at stuff a ways away. Just really low res and bad looking.

I'm having trouble highlighting the path of the enemies. It worked fine when I played as young Aloy, but as an adult, if I press R1 while focused on them it doesn't highlight their track :(

I'm having trouble highlighting the path of the enemies. It worked fine when I played as young Aloy, but as an adult, if I press R1 while focused on them it doesn't highlight their track :(
Same here.

Anyway I'm not sure if I asked this before what does create a job actually do? Is it supposed to make finding items a snap?

Tyaren

Same here.

Anyway I'm not sure if I asked this before what does create a job actually do? Is it supposed to make finding items a snap?

It actually worked for me. For hours I just wasn't finding fox bones and pig bones for pouch upgrades. It could have been a coincidence, but after I searched for them with the create a job functionality, I had them in like 15 minutes or even less. Maybe it increases the odds of those items dropping slightly. Which would be a clever move.

hydruxo

Oh, and I wish this game had a loot system with more weapons or interesting mods to find.

While the actual gameplay and visuals make exploring the world rewarding, and while there is some cool stuff to find, I think a well design
loot system could have added a lot to my desire to explore.

I don't mean loot raining like Diablo, but something. Finding chests in this game never really feels that exciting...

I agree. I'd love to find weapons and armor from enemies or just lying around, rather than just buying them from merchants. Loot is always a big draw for me so in that aspect Horizon lets me down, but everything else is so incredible in the game that I don't really mind as much.

Ferrio

Banned
I agree. I'd love to find weapons and armor from enemies or just lying around, rather than just buying them from merchants. Loot is always a big draw for me so in that aspect Horizon lets me down, but everything else is so incredible in the game that I don't really mind as much.

As cliche as it is, a diablo loot system would of been a nice alternative but it doesn't make sense story wise.

Minor complaint about the writing:

Vantage points. There has to be a better way to write these than simplistic back story dumps masquerading as a letter. Really clashes with the writing of the rest of the game.

Skux

Just finished the
Proving
after a few hours and the huge story developments that come with it. I am hooked! It feels like a mix of Hunger Games and Star Wars in its origin story. I feel like there is a huge mystery just waiting to be unraveled, and also a big impetus for Aloy to do so for the sake of the Nora.

you need to be close to the robots for the path to show up.

The other option is to wait until the machine has completed a circuit of its patrol. I watched the
Sawtooth
for so long the route just showed up.

Just beat the game and i really enjoy the story even if i knew where it was going .
This is a great start to a new IP and for GG first RPG .
Would give it a 8.5 and there are a few things i would like for part 2 .

A better melee system would be great .
It don't have to be to fancy but since there are so many humans and small robos it would be nice .
Better AI for humans .

More over all gear would be nice since the game has such a small amount.
Form weapons to armours with more stats base effects .
Also to remove certain part or mix and match different gear .

More skill and skills types and maybe few that have some effects \ look nice on screen .
Better rewards for doing side quest and collecting things .
More loot and ways for it to be use and other side content.

The game could also use a better camera in certain ways ( for eg vs flying robos)

Still all in all really enjoy the game and looking forward to the next part .
Some form of DLC would be nice.

Capella

I was so sad about having to return the game to redbox because I really love what I have played so far. Stopped playing after reaching
Meridian
and the game said I was about 25% done so it looks like there's a lot to look forward to when I get chance to buy the game.

Capella

I don't think this is a spoiler, but just in case.
Did anyone else hear an NPC comment on what Aloy is wearing if you are wearing a Carja outfit in Meridian or was I just hearing things?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom