• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

I just wandered all over the damn map killing things twice my level because this chucklefuck at the gate told me I had to clear corrupted zones. And now I find out that it's actually not possible to get past this thing until I do the main story. FINE GEEZ.

Anywaysn Sharpshot bow is so much better than the default.

Also since i forget in my last post .
They need to let you be able to sort\ put stuff in certain order .
It also needs to let you able to be to but more then one item at a time.

Jamaro85

source.gif

This genuinely surprised me as for some reason I thought it would come to a stop after it ate each explosion.

Drewfonse

How the hell do I
get to the excavation site to talk to Olin? I've been around the perimeter of the rock formation 3 times looking for an entrance to the center. I see the quest marker right inside.

How the hell do I
get to the excavation site to talk to Olin? I've been around the perimeter of the rock formation 3 times looking for an entrance to the center. I see the quest marker right inside.

Are you in a desert like location now with human enemies patrolling ?

I'll say this about Horizon. It's the first open world game where i don't fast travel, and it's not even a question. I'm never trying to quickly get to the next objective and never mind making the long trek to wherever I'm going. In fact I almost never hack a steed, and when I do it's not because I want to cut down my travel time, it's just because I want to try out that mechanic of the game.

Obviously loving the combat and the game looking gorgeous helps. But there is also just enough to do on the road to make it worth it. Gathering materials, filliing the medicine pouch, etc.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Got it! I didn't care about the story was obsessed in getting it.

A good RPG should always have some overpowered shit locked behind a hellish quest.

I'll say this about Horizon. It's the first open world game where i don't fast travel, and it's not even a question. I'm never trying to quickly get to the next objective and never mind making the long trek to wherever I'm going. In fact I almost never hack a steed, and when I do it's not because I want to cut down my travel time, it's just because I want to try out that mechanic of the game.

Obviously loving the combat and the game looking gorgeous helps. But there is also just enough to do on the road to make it worth it. Gathering materials, filliing the medicine pouch, etc.

Yeah me too. I rarely get a mount, as I prefer traveling by foot.

Riding a mount would mean skipping most of those stuff to gather as well.

I ended up stopping to gather a lot midway. Might as well stop mounting altogether.

Yea, same boat for me. I think it's because of how condensed the world is. You can't go more than a little while without something interesting to see or do. Combined with the variety of elevation levels and how well Aloy controls, it's a blast to just run around and shoot stuff.

Loudninja

Yea, same boat for me. I think it's because of how condensed the world is. You can't go more than a little while without something interesting to see or do. Combined with the variety of elevation levels and how well Aloy controls, it's a blast to just run around and shoot stuff.
I noticed this just in the first areas.

They did a great job with the world.

Toni

That's because precision arrows primarily give you range, they don't really do that much more damage than normal arrows. If you want raw damage you have to use triple shot heavy arrows. And he really is super easy to take down. You are using the wrong arrows and equipment. Ropecaster works on it but you have to use more ropes, unless you have a purple ropecaster in which case you need about 2-3 ropes. The rope down time shortens if you hit an enemy so many that's what's happening with you. Ropes should really be used to give yourself a window of opportunity to lay traps and get a safe distance.

The three easiest way to take him down:

1) 1 tear arrow to disc launcher, it disengages the disc launcher. Pick it up and you can essentially burn him down from full health to zero health just using disc launcher.

2) Bring him down using ropecaster, put fire debuff on...repeat. It's weak to fire and takes massive damage.

3) Set blast and fire traps/tripwires pre engagement. A few of those he'll be down to half health in a second. When he is recovering bring him down again with ropecaster and lay new traps. Repeat.

If you use strategy 1 then you could probably kill him in 20 seconds without even being touched. No matter the difficulty or level.

Wowww. I've been doing it wrong all along.

I went back to fight it, a little bit after my last post for a 2nd go and he just wrecked me left right and center. I placed Blast Traps and Fire Exploding Traps this time around to mix it up and it did so little to.

I thought he was the hardest enemy to take down after my attempts but after reading some posts here on how to take it down, I am legit shook lol.

My Ropecaster color is still green, I ahevn't found any upgrades for it as I'm still pretty much early in the game, and have not unlocked the perk that allows you to fire 3 arrows yet. Nor do I have these tear/heavy arrows that you mentioned? Just pierce arrows (if thats what you mean ?)

All I did was keep using the Focus to highlight the weakest parts and keept going in for that, but I realised that I'm too under-equipped for it. To top it off, I easily wasted all my resources fighting him, so its as risk at the moment for me to engage him. I'll need to grab a better Ropecaster, get that 3 arrows perk and upgrade the Trap quantity in order to stand a chance against that beast.

It boggles my mind how you guys find these methods to easily take it down. He is no joke.

Wubbys

Feel like I didnt pay enough attention during the tutorials having a hard time figuring out how to kill machines quickly/effectively. Having a good time when clearing bandits but could use some pointers for machines if anyone is willing to give me a few pointers.

Yes. I killed the ones around the seemingly impassable rock formation. I've been around it multiple times. Olin's quest marker is inside.

I believe you gotta climb something, just pause and follow the map.. there's an entrance around there. It's happened to me a few times in other places.

Yes. I killed the ones around the seemingly impassable rock formation. I've been around it multiple times. Olin's quest marker is inside.
If its the quest i'm thinking of, there is an opening with a wooden wall thing with a wench, it's hard to tell but to the left of are rocks you can climb.

Feel like I didnt pay enough attention during the tutorials having a hard time figuring out how to kill machines quickly/effectively. Having a good time when clearing bandits but could use some pointers for machines if anyone is willing to give me a few pointers.

The key is to maximize the potential of your weapons (not just the bow and spear) and the machines' weaknessss. Environment can help you as well, for setting up traps and stuff. Approach each encounter slowly and scan your surroundings and targets first. Take down the ones that can be silent striked first.

Wubbys

The key is to maximize the potential of your weapons (not just the bow and spear) and the machines' weaknessss. Environment can help you as well, for setting up traps and stuff.

So right now I try to stealth as many as possible and then shoot them in the eye with arrows. Sometimes I use the electirc trip wire. When I scan an enemy is there anything I should be looking for besides its listed weakness?

Toni

Also, its safe to say this game has the best sliding mechanic in gaming.

Because my god, the number of times I've hit my target when sliding in slow-mo has been an untold amount for sure. That's all I do to either aim my shots better or to quickly get to tall grass/ hide from plain side.

rn6Wd3c.png

carlsojo

So right now I try to stealth as many as possible and then shoot them in the eye with arrows. Sometimes I use the electirc trip wire. When I scan an enemy is there anything I should be looking for besides its listed weakness?

Canisters/things to blow up. For example if they have a blaze canister on their back, shoot it with a fire arrow and it will blow up for high damage.

Hunting grounds are good areas to teach you about different tactics.

Gorillaz

Yea going through this even more I definitely get the whole "it's like a ubisoft game but better" vibe. At least a very farcry one.

Playing this reminded me how much I loved FC3 honestly

Wagram

Hmm. I just climbed a huge mountain fought a
Stormbird
that leads to some
ruins
and I have zero clue how to get in.

I stumbled on it. I wonder if that is main story related because I get to the end and see no entrance despite there being one.

Wubbys

Canisters/things to blow up. For example if they have a blaze canister on their back, shoot it with a fire arrow and it will blow up for high damage.

Hunting grounds are good areas to teach you about different tactics.
Cool didnt notice those glowing green canisters until now lol. I will keep an eye out for those hunting grounds.

AudioEppa

Is there possibly a way to get out of being stuck? The game does this weird thing where I move on something and then I can't move the character at all. It's really fucking annoying when I'm in the middle of a mission.

Toni

2nd half story wise took a dive completely tho

damn shame what they did

I'm not there yet, but I just don't see the Ubi comparisons. Or at least not yet. Maybe the Tallnecks have a resemblence to "towers" from what I've seen but its a different and better concept with meaningful reason as to why they are there. They are interactive as heck and its optional. And beautiful to look at in the world of Horizon.

You can hear a tallneck from so far away, even during ffights, I don't know. Its engrossing as fuck to me.

SerTapTap

If you're having trouble in combat, make sure you're using elements! Long Legs felt impossible until I started using Shock bolts on their power cells. Now I can kill them in two (clean) hits. Really love how combat is largely strategy + accuracy instead of level and dodge until it's dead (if you play right)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom