• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hybris

Im having trouble getting into the game, here is my salty bitch post after 3 hours or so.

Aside from the cunty matriarchs who will pitch a newborn out of the tribe, everyone is too fucking nice and sanitized, esp the mains. Roost is such a beta male, e.g. he is too timid to take something away from a six year old girl despite knowing it is probably dangerous. Alloy is running around trying to help people that wouldn't piss on her if she was on fire. I'm kinda of seeing where the US Gamer reviewer was coming from wrt Alloy making no sense.

The combat is good in a Tomb Raider sort of way, but the world is sooo videogamey and--for an open world game--really narrow. Sony paid 47 million for the game, which is cheap for open world and it shows: I ran into an invisible wall in the first hour; you can't climb on anything that isn't painted a immersion breaking yellow; nobody talks except exclamationized static quest givers; so many cheap to produce audio logs; easy to make detective vision 'mysteries'; zero character customization beyond decideing which bulbous native-chic armour to bury the character under; dialog choices that aren't choices; and no multi. It all seems so cheap, shallow, contrived, and safe.

I'd go play botw because it really does sound open world and much less videogamey, but I've never liked Link or save-the-princess stories and I'd need to buy a Switch--I kinda blew my video games budget getting this and a pro. oh well, at least I went physical. I always feel a bit better being able to trade a game I don't like in. Back to Diablo...diablo looks nice on the pro.

That video gamey super structured AAA open world field doesn't go away. It's very much part of the game's identity, but as the game goes on, the combat gets significantly more interesting as does the story line. If you can make it out the first area a play a bit further than that, you may end up getting into it if those two things interest you.

Im having trouble getting into the game, here is my salty bitch post after 3 hours or so.

Aside from the cunty matriarchs who will pitch a newborn out of the tribe, everyone is too fucking nice and sanitized, esp the mains. Roost is such a beta male, e.g. he is too timid to take something away from a six year old girl despite knowing it is probably dangerous. Alloy is running around trying to help people that wouldn't piss on her if she was on fire. I'm kinda of seeing where the US Gamer reviewer was coming from wrt Alloy making no sense.

The combat is good in a Tomb Raider sort of way, but the world is sooo videogamey and--for an open world game--really narrow. Sony paid 47 million for the game, which is cheap for open world and it shows: I ran into an invisible wall in the first hour; you can't climb on anything that isn't painted a immersion breaking yellow; nobody talks except exclamationized static quest givers; so many cheap to produce audio logs; easy to make detective vision 'mysteries'; zero character customization beyond decideing which bulbous native-chic armour to bury the character under; dialog choices that aren't choices; and no multi. It all seems so cheap, shallow, contrived, and safe.

I'd go play botw because it really does sound open world and much less videogamey, but I've never liked Link or save-the-princess stories and I'd need to buy a Switch--I kinda blew my video games budget getting this and a pro. oh well, at least I went physical. I always feel a bit better being able to trade a game I don't like in. Back to Diablo...diablo looks nice on the pro.
It doesn't sound like you got through the intro yet. Some of the complaints you have are extremely specific to that first area. :)

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Just decided to buy the sony X800D 4K HDR and oh my god it is game changing. The best game I have ever seen. HDR looks so damn good.
Jesus Christ man, yesterday I almost bought the new HDR Sony tv but backed out. It looks pretty good on my 4K Samsung but no HDR :(

Tubie

Level 4 resource bag is a godsend.

Oh and for those wondering, the Shadow Hunter Bow is totally worth it, get it ASAP, Hardpoint arrows are amazing. I would also get the Shadow Sharpshoot Bow after that.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Okay you kinda need both bows. Sharpshot bow with tear modfications equipped to destroy stuff on enemies and then use the hunter bow with damage equipped to kill them. Use triple shot with concentration plus skill on weakpoints.

You are still in the early area in the game. Thats the problem. The world really opens up after, and it REALLY opens up.

Well, it's fine if you dont like it, but for me you have given up before things could have gotten interesting.

Stormbirds are just nasty bastards.
Yup, just took down my first

17021695_1431667523518448_7229795224702999067_n.jpg

Anyone else preferring favor performance over resolution, at least on 1080p screens? It just looks a lot sharper to my eyes. I feel like I'm losing detail with the resolution mode for whatever reason. I think my eyes just prefer native resolution.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
So are their only
weapons total? Trying to clear inventory space and I don't want to carry all these animal bones/skins if I don't need to. Almost done all the carry capacity upgrades.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Okay you kinda need both bows. Sharpshot bow with tear modfications equipped to destroy stuff on enemies and then use the hunter bow with damage equipped to kill them. Use triple shot with concentration plus skill on weakpoints.

Actually all 3 bows. The warbow offers elemental damage arrows

QaaQer

It doesn't sound like you got through the intro yet. Some of the complaints you have are extremely specific to that first area. :)

You are still in the early area in the game. Thats the problem. The world really opens up after, and it REALLY opens up.

Well, it's fine if you dont like it, but for me you have given up before things could have gotten interesting.

That video gamey super structured AAA open world field doesn't go away. It's very much part of the game's identity, but as the game goes on, the combat gets significantly more interesting as does the story line. If you can make it out the first area a play a bit further than that, you may end up getting into it if those two things interest you.

Cheers. I'll push on. And yeah, if the combat clicks, Ill be back to thank you guys.

Is there an easy way to compare your gear against what you want to buy ? Reluctant to buy weapons because it's hard to compare against what I am using now (I am talking about when buying / selling )

Tigress

Roost is such a beta male, e.g. he is too timid to take something away from a six year old girl despite knowing it is probably dangerous.

First of all, did you really just use beta male? Ugh. Secondly, that being said, yeah, it was kinda silly that he just let her have it when he supposedly is afraid of it. They should have just written it as he wasn't as afraid of tech as the nora tribe he was from or was more willing to listen to her about what it did. But, I'm pretty easy going about forgiving story stuff that is obvious because they want to introduce a game mechanic.

Alloy is running around trying to help people that wouldn't piss on her if she was on fire. I'm kinda of seeing where the US Gamer reviewer was coming from wrt Alloy making no sense.

That I can believe.Yeah most people would have a hard time but not everyone reacts the same. She just might have principles she sticks to even if she dislikes the people. Maybe you wouldn't but this isn't a game about playing yourself.

Sony paid 47 million for the game, which is cheap for open world and it shows: I ran into an invisible wall in the first hour; you can't climb on anything that isn't painted a immersion breaking yellow

I have yet to find an open world without an invisible wall. The real question is how well do they hide it? So far most I've found in horizon are believable as cliffs she wouldn't be able to climb. I honestly think they did a good job of the paint the ledges you can climb without making it too obvious (most games it is a lot more obvious) so that doesn't bug me. Yes, I wish we could climb everything but you can't have everything. Most RPGs and RPG like games don't have a climb mechanic period.

nobody talks except exclamationized static quest givers;

One, you're wrong on that one. I just talked to a non quest giver that I wouldn't have even realized would give me more than a sentence and got a whole conversation with her. It didn't mark her as special or anything. Secondly, a lot of RPGs do this honestly (Witcher is horrible for this, I hated it about it). For whatever reason it is not bugging me as much on this one (maybe I'm not expecting as much RPG out of it. It bugged me on Witcher but I was expecting a full RPG on Witcher).

so many cheap to produce audio logs; easy to make detective vision 'mysteries'; zero character customization beyond decideing which bulbous native-chic armour to bury the character under;

I love audio logs *shrug*. To me part of the fun of open worlds, particularly post apocalypse ones, is finding little tidbits that help give you the story of what happened pre/during apocalypse.

Yeah, they could have more outfits but honestly, it is a first game and a lot of times they are setting up the basics for the first game (and customization honestly isn't the most important part of a game, particularly one where you are playing a set character). But yeah, I would have liked to see more outfits and more weapons.

dialog choices that aren't choices;

They pretty much said it wasn't going to be about affecting the story much, they had a set story they wanted to tell. I think the problem here is you were expecting more RPG than it is (I have been following the game and was glad I got tidbits about that before playing it cause I'd have not enjoyed the game for what it is if I was expecting a full RPG out of it. Was sad it wasn't going to be one but the game is really good despite that). But to be fair, they have been pretty open about how much RPG it really is.

and no multi.

And now you hit a pet peeve. Not every game has to have multiplayer. You want that, don't play a single player game. Sick of people thinking you should shove multiplayer into everything and even more sick of a lot of AAA publishers going with that attitude (but for them it's just cause it's easier to make money through microtranactions that way and treating their games like a service). I'd rather they focus their efforts on the single player campaign.

Whoever decided to make sprint in an open world a toggle should be given a medal. Not needing to hold down L3, or tap a button works wonderfully

"Roost is a beta-male". What the fuck kind of criticism is that. Play the game to find out why he's so duty-bound?

Looks like you're approaching the game with your mind already decided on it. Have fun in botw.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Is there an easy way to compare your gear against what you want to buy ? Reluctant to buy weapons because it's hard to compare against what I am using now (I am talking about when buying / selling )

Not really. Higher tiers just have more ammunition types. Green have 1, blue 2, purple 3.

TTG

So ummm, how is the sling supposed to work? I hit some machines with freeze bombs that are vulnerable to it, I can see they are affected by it because of the meter and change in color, but I seem to be doing the same amount of damage with other weapons and they aren't really deterred from fucking me up. Am I supposed to follow them up with elemental damage?

It's a sonicwave shotgun that removes components.

Weapon variety can also be solved with each robot dropping a weapon. For instance: thunderjaw drops the disc launcher.. have the sawtooth drop some fangs for a melee weapon and so on.

You can get another version of it from the shop which uses electric and some other type of ammo, so I think it can do more than just remove components.

Also, there are a myriad of ways in which you could structure the acquisition of new weapons. I think a more detailed crafting system would be good, encouraging you to hunt different types of creatures, dismember specific components etc, to get particular ingredients for particular weapons.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Doopy doopy doo... I hear cauldron is hard... Ill pass for now.

*Wonders what they are*

Oh fine, let's see what all the hubbub is all about

*Enters one*

mwK8hs1.gif

zulux21

And now you hit a pet peeve. Not every game has to have multiplayer. You want that, don't play a single player game. Sick of people thinking you should shove multiplayer into everything and even more sick of a lot of AAA publishers going with that attitude (but for them it's just cause it's easier to make money through microtranactions that way and treating their games like a service). I'd rather they focus their efforts on the single player campaign.

correct no every game has to have multiplayer.

that being said you could have easily made horizon a multiplayer game by letting people go in groups. everyone else in the game uses hunting parties but you can't :p

personally I am having a blast with the game as is... but I would be having even more fun if I could play with my wife at the same time together taking down big dinos and what not.

I'm trying to generate jobs (errands) to get specific weapons, but then when I go to the location of the machine and kill it, I loot it and then dont get the part I need. This has happened a few times. Is this normal?

hbkdx12

The Tearblaster you get from the hunting lodge is pretty awesome. It's kinda like a shotgun that does tear damage.
I really hate how this game handles its weapons. Having only 4 slots but then having exact weapon replicas that use different ammo types is just frustrating and means you'll spend a lot of time in the menus swapping things out.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm trying to generate jobs (errands) to get specific weapons, but then when I go to the location of the machine and kill it, I loot it and then dont get the part I need. This has happened a few times. Is this normal?

Yeah some parts are less common.

bunkitz

Fought some Fire Bellowbacks for the first time the other night. Three of them. Managed to isolate the first one and kill it. Then had to fight the remaining together. Shit was exhilarating and incredibly satisfying to finish.

I'm still having some trouble with some fights, though, especially with Sawtooths. So that's a little disheartening. I mean, how the fuck am I supposed to hit their Blaze canisters? My arrows never seem to land even when I thought they would. Oh well. Just gotta keep playing and practicing.

I'm beginning to feel just a little overwhelmed, though. I'm not quite sure which quests I should do cause I've gotten quite a bit now. I've got challenges and errands, side quests, then two main quests, etc. I would feel bad to ignore all the side content and just go straight to the main quests, but then I'd feel bad if I did the opposite. Bleurgh. It's a personal thing, though, not really a complaint on the game or anything of the sort.

Oh, and I did the "Create a Job" thing. Super cool feature, but I'm disappointed that I can only do that with items I don't have ingredients for. I'd like to stock up on Metal Vessels (I think that's what they're called?), since I seem to run out pretty quickly, but the quests only last until I have just enough to craft just one of the items I need.

One more thing. I have a problem with the outfits. I don't like how many of them look. They're okay, but the Brave outfit Aloy wears in the promos and box art loioks way cooler than all of them. Everything else except for the Nora... err, the Light version of the one that reduces melee damage, not so good. So I'm torn between, as usual, aesthetics and stats. *sighs*

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The Carja Storm Ranger outfit (one of the deluxe edition DLC outfits) seems glitched for me, or at least something is up with the armour system.
Thanks for the confirmation.

I've seen videos of people taking 15 points of damage in situations that I take 250 points of damage, so I knew something very funky was going on which is why I said armor is an additional difficulty modifier.

I've not played with glitched armor but I like the game a lot because of its lethality. If I could take a lot of hits then this game would feel like Far Cry 3 or AC3 which I never felt danger while running around.

"Roost" probably doesn't take the
Focus
away from her, because he knows where she comes from, and Alloy seems to be attached to it. It doesn't seem to be dangerous and believes she is special.

If people always gave a damn about what others thought, and latched on to hate, where would the world be today? She grew up as an outcast eager to show the world all outcasts aren't evil criminals.

Lol, funny you say this is too "video gamey" then go play diablo, the most video gamey game.

It is your opinion and all, but it's the first game of the series. I think it's dope and like where it's going. That's what people are celebrating.
I'll gladly support new games or new ideas any day of the week, before buying Sword and Shield 17 or shooter #20.

(Not a jab at Zelda, I'm getting that too)

Strings

Enjoying the game, but the inconsistent climbing is pretty irritating. Getting down from things can be a real pain too.

EDIT: The lore/world is honestly a bit plain also. But that's just my general un-interest in Norse/tribal stuff shining through.

Fought some Fire Bellowbacks for the first time the other night. Three of them. Managed to isolate the first one and kill it. Then had to fight the remaining together. Shit was exhilarating and incredibly satisfying to finish.

I'm still having some trouble with some fights, though, especially with Sawtooths. So that's a little disheartening. I mean, how the fuck am I supposed to hit their Blaze canisters? My arrows never seem to land even when I thought they would. Oh well. Just gotta keep playing and practicing.
Tripcast, concentrate to shoot their canisters. You get five seconds if you jump+aim+R3. It also helps if you have a high ground to jump off nearby.

bunkitz

Tripcast, concentrate to shoot their canisters. You get five seconds if you jump+aim+R3. It also helps if you have a high ground to jump off nearby.

Cool. Thanks for the tip, man! Yeah, I've noticed that I don't use the Tripcaster much, despite how useful it is. Gotta fix that soon. Love the Slings, though.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Thanks for the confirmation.

I've seen videos of people taking 15 points of damage in situations that I take 250 points of damage, so I knew something very funky was going on which is why I said armor is an additional difficulty modifier.

I've not played with glitched armor but I like the game a lot because of its lethality. If I could take a lot of hits then this game would feel like Far Cry 3 or AC3 which I never felt danger while running around.

Looks like I know what I will be using from now on lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom