• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just started this tonight and wanted to run this by some of you. Does this game feel "juttery" to anyone else? Like for whatever reason I feel like there's a lack of smoothness to the camera and overall visual presentation. I don't have this issue in other 30fps games such as Destiny, for example. It's really starting to bother me and kind of giving me a headache. Is it the motion blur implementation?
In gameplay no I have not some cutscenes the facial animations twitches strangely but other than that this game is smiith from what I seen

I can't beat the
Fire Bellowback
at the end of the first Cauldron. Couldn't even beat the Shellwalker in the previous area so I ended up sprinting past it. Any tips?! I'm level 11 I think.

Lunar FC

I can't beat the
Fire Bellowback
at the end of the first Cauldron. Couldn't even beat the Shellwalker in the previous area so I ended up sprinting past it. Any tips?! I'm level 11 I think.

I had trouble with this as well. How I ended up doing it was setting down shock traps and luring him into them. Critical hitting him when he is down until his belly plate falls off. Then just hitting that spot with fire arrows. It's defiantly a rough one doe.

I can't beat the
Fire Bellowback

If you have the bow with the tear arrows start off with that to remove some of its armor and lay traps all around the bubble before you bring it down.

Nyx

I can't beat the
Fire Bellowback

I used shock wire, fire traps and fire arrows.
Especially the tripwire helped a lot.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I can't beat the
Fire Bellowback

Best bet, if you don't have a lot of trap options to set up beforehand, is to try and 'burst' the canister on its back - it's a 'basic' weak spot, and is susceptible to basic damage arrows.

If you have the sharpshooter bow, use that arrow type for more damage.

x5pence

Neo Member
I can't beat the
Fire Bellowback

I use the ropecaster to get them down then critical strike. You can also heavy attack when they're down to easily remove some cover plates.

My first day being able to play this game - I got a question

Can we find armor as loot? or should I buy them?
Buy them

Just checked Metacridict there and I seen Edges score did not move it lol

I got a quick question but pls spoiler answer as some people may not want to know

How do I get the fifth hunting lodge?
I have an idea how but just want to make sure

Staf

Fucking hell, this story is going places. I just saw
the hologram of your mother and the CEO
and holy fuck is this great.

Sorc3r3r

So, the last time I had some moment of pure suspension and disbelief playing a game was loooong time ago with my all time favourite game: Metrod Prime.

It's a combination of atmosphere, level design and enemy design.

The machines are a fundamental asset, playing, I'm kept in a weird uncanny feeling that add immensely on how approach the game world and I finally feel I'm exploring something I've never seen,a world I must respect.

Beautiful job Guerrilla Games.

calder

Ugh why can't I find a bellowback heart, I must have killed 10 of the assholes already. I really want the purple stealth armor, naturally.

Fantastic game, I'm 25+ hours in already and I still have large sections of the map hidden.

I'd avoided reading most of the thread because spoilers but I'm a fair chunk through the game

First I absolutely love this game, it's so entertaining because the enemy's and weapon attack combinations are so diverse even what should be tedious is so fucking fun

In anyway I have some hot tech for you if it has not being said yet (highly likely) but to fully utilise it you should have whistle Spawn any mountable machine and be able able to move with heavy guns

But if you save with heavy Gun that you blasted off a machine and then loaf it back up, you will have full ammo even if you saved on empty!

So combine that with being able to whistle a mount and then the be able to carry the heavy on the mountable machine, means mobility is no longer an issue

Again sorry if known :D
But somebody pls let me know if known as I don't want to read through the thread yet till I'm complete
thats an awesome bug :D

Will try it out soon and take revenge against Rockbreakers.

I think I finally had my, "this is next gen" moment (on Pro). There were these blueish-green God rays behind some trees and and the lighting was just amazing to me. It made the treeline look like an eerie, ancient forest then moments later, the sky turned into a pinkish red. I rarely stop to sightsee in games, but this moment left me in awe.

Extremely excited for Death Stranding
on PS5

This will take me forever, I'm going so slowly >_<

But loving it of course. Took a while to feel comfortable in combat because I didn't force myself to fight a great deal in the open world of the Embrace. So when I came up against big dramatic plot fights, I had very little clue of what I was doing. Was awkward and a bit frustrating, but of course all the tools were there, I just had to learn.

My favourite moment so far has to be performing a heavy attack on a rat that walked past my feet without noticing me. SPLAT! Made me lol. Heavy attacks on wildlife generally don't seem to get old.

I had trouble with this as well. How I ended up doing it was setting down shock traps and luring him into them. Critical hitting him when he is down until his belly plate falls off. Then just hitting that spot with fire arrows. It's defiantly a rough one doe.

If you have the bow with the tear arrows start off with that to remove some of its armor and lay traps all around the bubble before you bring it down.

I used shock wire, fire traps and fire arrows.
Especially the tripwire helped a lot.

Best bet, if you don't have a lot of trap options to set up beforehand, is to try and 'burst' the canister on its back - it's a 'basic' weak spot, and is susceptible to basic damage arrows.

If you have the sharpshooter bow, use that arrow type for more damage.

I use the ropecaster to get them down then critical strike. You can also heavy attack when they're down to easily remove some cover plates.

Thanks everyone. I don't have any tear arrows at the moment so I'll try some different strategies tonight and work with what I've got. Failing that, is there a way out of here without finishing it off? I suppose I could roll back to an earlier save.

hbkdx12

Just finished this. Really great game overall. Had a blast.

I may need to step away from this for a while before i can say for sure but the pacing felt off. Once you meet
sylen things ratchet up and by time you hit that PNR you go from not knowing much of anything to knowing everything. You're just constantly getting slammed with backstory and exposition. I played from the PNR all the way through the end in one sitting and it felt like a 5 hr info dump. It's all clear and understandable but there's just a lot of it.

All the complaints that i have about the game are pretty negligible but i hope they address most of them in a patch

• Tagging enemies is super finicky
  • Would like faster/regular movement speed when using focus
  • Tutorials only counting if they're active is silly
  • Capacity upgrades should be taken off the menu or faded out when upgraded to the max
  • Could use a sell junk button for quickly getting rid of things that have no value
  • Buying items 1 piece at a time and holding down x to do it is beyond annoying.
  • Could use a map icon filter
  • D-pad should be hotkeyed rather than a scroll menu. Assuming you have access to everything the menu offers,
    that's 3 traps, 3 health potions, 4 resistance potions, whistle, rocks and mount. That's 13 different items you can potentially be scrolling through.
    That's insanely cumbersome in the heat of battle.
  • The economy around the weapons and armor feels worthless.
    You start getting access to the purple tier items soon as you cross the border. What's the point in having 3 tiers of weapons if you're giving away all the best stuff a 3rd of the way through the game?
  • Create a job function doesn't really work with live animals. I understand they can't mark it on your map since they free roam but it'd be nice if they highlighted the animal for you when you came across it in game or something.

Alienfan

The world feels so lifeless; NPCs hardly move, they don't react to anything you do or interact with the machines. Other than that I'm enjoying my time with it, even if it's basically Tomb Raider mixed with Far Cry

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The world feels so lifeless; NPCs hardly move, they don't react to anything you do or interact with the machines. Other than that I'm enjoying my time with it, even if it's basically Tomb Raider mixed with Far Cry

They do though. I've seen random NPC's fighting machines at the side of the road and yell for help (no quest marker or anything, literally just yelling). If you help them they give you their thanks and a small rewards box. There's alsp bandits ambushing NPC's, guards protecting roads from machines all without quests. Just things I've come across.

Just think where this formula could go...In other countries maybe different machines were made evolved...For instance in India, the Hindu gods and demons could have evolved, becoming vastly more powerful than these...Maybe not as cool as dino robos, but there is a lot of potential in this world.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Just think where this formula could go...In other countries maybe different machines were made evolved...For instance in India, the Hindu gods and demons could have evolved, becoming vastly more powerful than these...Maybe not as cool as dino robos, but there is a lot of potential in this world.

I wanna see Africa, its environments and Robot animals

Rhinos, Tigers, Lions, Monkeys, Gorillas, Hippos, Elephants, etc.
Hell use fossils of old time and recreate Robot Neanderthals!, helping "Missing Links!" *wink*

thats an awesome bug :D

Will try it out soon and take revenge against Rockbreakers.
Sweet I almost thought this would of went unnoticed I'm glad it went unnoticed :D

There is perfect spot somewhere in the canyons where you have 3 different types of enemy's I forgot there names but it's the Ravanger (I think), the Snapjaw and the loot spider right next to a camp site so it's a easy way to level up and loot up

They do though. I've seen random NPC's fighting machines at the side of the road and yell for help (no quest marker or anything, literally just yelling). If you help them they give you their thanks and a small rewards box. There's alsp bandits ambushing NPC's, guards protecting roads from machines all without quests. Just things I've come across.

Yep. My first fight with Thunderjaw was when a group of soldiers decided to fight it for some reason.

Trojan

Juuuuust starting this game :) should I play on Normal or Hard? I like a challenge but if Normal is well-balanced I'm thinking that's where I might start....

GraveRobberX

Juuuuust starting this game :) should I play on Normal or Hard? I like a challenge but if Normal is well-balanced I'm thinking that's where I might start....

Normal is decent, it's still a good difficulty

Harder difficulties can get annoying if your not fully prepared, games doesn't hold your hand much
Resources at higher difficulties become more scarce

Most are doing Normal runs in here, with a few doing Hard to Very Hard

Also no Trophy for difficulty so try it out and see, which difficulties you can play at
Very Hard is Demons Souls brutal, it's like Come the Fuck On!, but it does get you to always be on edge like "Oh Shit what was that!"

Staf

Just curious, what is the green arrow next to damage numbers that sometimes is shown? Is it critical damage or something?

melkier33

Is it okay to overlevel in this game? I'm like level 21 but my current main quest is level 12.

You only really get 10 HP per level and the skill points. In my opinion it's okay, most of the game is learning how to take things down efficiently.

I'm not even finished this game and the idea of what they can do in a sequel blows my mind in a gameplay perspective

-Single body part customisation
-Unique overide for each machine for example if you override Sawtooth then you can point at where to attack, or if you override an ravanger you can detach the heavy and request ammo refills off it in the heat of the action
-Swin water
-Underwater Machines
-New machine types like Dragons and Giant Snakes/Worms
-New Melee weapons
Etc

Man this game excites the mind

GraveRobberX

If they do DLC, I hope they have Story and Challenge modes

Story you can at least say certain path was blocked by debris or "water way was clogged" to send us to adjacent area within that world
I mean if you know which area we are in, you can say the trail led to so and so

Wouldnt mind Bunker/Silo (not talking about where machines are made but more Army base oriented that are now overrun with them) infested with machines that have overtaken or the plains of neighboring states with new robots. Would love if there were Mammoths introduced in Thunderjaw style aka "Quakers!", ground shakers to the max
They are the big heavy duty Transporters, get in there way, wew lad you in for a rude awakening
I mean we have more animals that can be Robofied in some way

Then have Challenges with new twists and newer versions of said robots

JJShadow

I'm so "overwhelmed" having to manage the bow, ropecaster, tripcaster, sling, potions and what not in every fight that after 15 hours I just remembered I can actually set up traps as well to make encounters easier lol Still haven't used a single one

Arklite

The quarry side mission, man. I did not actually expect it to be
'tremors'
while I joked about it being
'tremors'
and then getting my ass handed to me.

bunkitz

Thanks everyone. I don't have any tear arrows at the moment so I'll try some different strategies tonight and work with what I've got. Failing that, is there a way out of here without finishing it off? I suppose I could roll back to an earlier save.

If you still haven't beaten it, the Sling's really effective against them because of the ice bombs. Just lob them at it and it'll freeze. If not, then two will do the job. While they're frozen, you can keep firing at their weak points, the Blaze containers on its back and below its neck. Deal enough damage and those will explode, dealing damage to the Bellowback and anything near it--you included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom