• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

silva1991

The world feels so lifeless; NPCs hardly move, they don't react to anything you do or interact with the machines. Other than that I'm enjoying my time with it, even if it's basically Tomb Raider mixed with Far Cry

But they do. bandits fight other machines all the time.

Some times if you are followed by robots, peaceful NPCs will help

hell there are parts in the game where there are fixed battles between NPC and robots and no matter how many times you reload it will be there.

Trojan

Normal is decent, it's still a good difficulty

Harder difficulties can get annoying if your not fully prepared, games doesn't hold your hand much
Resources at higher difficulties become more scarce

Most are doing Normal runs in here, with a few doing Hard to Very Hard

Also no Trophy for difficulty so try it out and see, which difficulties you can play at
Very Hard is Demons Souls brutal, it's like Come the Fuck On!, but it does get you to always be on edge like "Oh Shit what was that!"

Thank you! Normal it is.

Thank you! Normal it is.

I was loving it at the high difficulty setting but now that the game is getting harder, I'm starting to find the crafting stuff annoying. I might bring it down to normal. I do love the challenge of fighting the bigger enemies on hard though. Just hate having to replenish healing resources, which means either farming live animals for meat or buying potions which are very costly and add up.

Tips for beating Thunderjaws?

Ropecaster...
Screen-Shot-2015-02-19-at-11.56.00-AM.png

Also, shoot the missiles off from its side and use them against it.

But they do. bandits fight other machines all the time.

Some times if you are followed by robots, peaceful NPCs will help

hell there are parts in the game where there are fixed battles between NPC and robots and no matter how many times you reload it will be there.
Yeah I accidentally led a pack of Glinthawks into a friendly camp once and it was absolute mayhem. Pretty awesome to get into a huge battle like that though.
It must be that 5/10 review score that's driving everyone crazy.
I don't think the game is a perfect 10 by any means but a 5 is pretty ludicrous. Something must have really gone wrong for that reviewer lol

Saw a bunch of dudes fighting a thunderjaw and went to help out.

I got cocky and the helicopter laser thing he shits out totally annihilated me.

Two things I want GG to patch in:
1) Option to hide your helmet
2) Ability to do your tutorial and other quests at the same. Right now you can only complete a tutorial mission if you set it as an active quest

Radec

I wanna see Africa, its environments and Robot animals

Rhinos, Tigers, Lions, Monkeys, Gorillas, Hippos, Elephants, etc.
Hell use fossils of old time and recreate Robot Neanderthals!, helping "Missing Links!" *wink*

Beast Wars!

Tips for beating Thunderjaws?

Ropecaster to tie him down. Then when it drops a weapon (disc launcher) use it against him on his side body shooting its vital part.

Put alot of violet handling mods on your Ropecaster.

so how come Horizon's review topic got locked when the OT went up. LOZ's is still going. I thought it was forum policy at the time but guess not?

Ulong

Just beat the game, playing as I normally would, and I'm only one achievement short of the platinum (damn those training dummies). Seems like a really reasonable platinum to get.

At the very end of the game, like just after that final scene with
sylense
, my game crashed. I didn't miss anything I assume?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Are the preorder costumes et al. usable from the get-go, or are they level/vendor-locked?

Cheers, y'all.
Please note if you think the game is too easy and depending on what DLC you have:

2 Pieces of Deluxe Edition DLC gear, the Carja Mighty Bow and Carja Storm Ranger Outfit, are currently performing far better that their stats suggest they should be. The blue tier Carja Bow out-damages its purple equivalent, the Shadow Hunter Bow, by a large margin (nearly double), even though the SHB can equip 3 purple damage mods. The Blue Carja outfit, takes 10% of the damage that the highest defense purple outfit you can obtain, even when that outfit is stacked with defensive mods. Were talking hits that would do 40 damage instead doing 4 damage. This is likely unintended and may be patched out in the future, but worth noting.

What does handling coil do?
I don't know if this is the only effect but it reduces reload times.

alt27

Great length for a ARPG , great main
story , side quests not as great but combat is so good , I love doing them anyway .

Shits all over witcher 3 in my opinion. Not even close

Ferr986

I'm so "overwhelmed" having to manage the bow, ropecaster, tripcaster, sling, potions and what not in every fight that after 15 hours I just remembered I can actually set up traps as well to make encounters easier lol Still haven't used a single one

lol same. Well I use tripcasters, but only when I have time to put them before a fight, mid fight I have a hard time lol But regular item traps I never use them, same as that kind of grenade launcher thingy.

I'm mainly ropecaster and bows. I do a lot of kitting while firing and I'm doing good so far (rolling is soo useful). But I dunno what will happens with bigger enemies like the Thunderjaw lol

Normal is decent, it's still a good difficulty

Harder difficulties can get annoying if your not fully prepared, games doesn't hold your hand much
Resources at higher difficulties become more scarce

Most are doing Normal runs in here, with a few doing Hard to Very Hard

Also no Trophy for difficulty so try it out and see, which difficulties you can play at
Very Hard is Demons Souls brutal, it's like Come the Fuck On!, but it does get you to always be on edge like "Oh Shit what was that!"

Not really. You get less herb reserves while gathering them, but it's not really a problem because there's a lot of herbs (in Normal you're basically full quickly). Rest of materials (food, wook, enemy drops) drops the same numbers.

Staf

Can't get over how good this game is. It has no right being this good given that it's a new franchise from a dev who makes FPS.

Shengar

Tearblast arrows strip armor infinitely better and more accurate than melee attacks. Heavy melee is generally for stunning small sized enemies OR when the enemy is electrocuted.
I do use Tearblast Arrow for armor stripping duty. But due to my excessive use of it for Lancehorn hunting, I just found out that I have limited quantity of the echo generator (or whatever it's called) and I haven't meet any mecha that drop them (turned out some of the stocks I got are from reward boxes). So I figure out that I should use heavy melee for armor stripping to save up Tearblast Arrow until I can farm its component. It doesn't meet to my expectation as you can see.

Merchants do sell them at affordable price (there isn't much use for metal shard at my point of the game) but I reckon it'll better I push the game to Thunderjaw before I start hunting mechas for sport.

silva1991

I just put 3 40+% tear coils on my shadow sharpshot bow

tearing is 227 for my purple tearing arrow.

I'm so trying this on
stormbird
soon.

cheesekao

I do use Tearblast Arrow for armor stripping duty. But due to my excessive use of it for Lancehorn hunting, I just found out that I have limited quantity of the echo generator (or whatever it's called) and I haven't meet any mecha that drop them (turned out some of the stocks I got are from reward boxes). So I figure out that I should use heavy melee for armor stripping to save up Tearblast Arrow until I can farm its component. It doesn't meet to my expectation as you can see.

Merchants do sell them at affordable price (there isn't much use for metal shard at my point of the game) but I reckon it'll better I push the game to Thunderjaw before I start hunting mechas for sport.
Longlegs and stalkers drop them. Why are you using them on Lance horns by the way? If you want their chilling water then just stealth kill them. You get them either way.

Zen Aku

2) Ability to do your tutorial and other quests at the same. Right now you can only complete a tutorial mission if you set it as an active quest

YES!! this shit pissed me off so much. Sometimes I accidentally do the tutorial challenge but it doesnt count because I didn't have it active. Urghh...

Man I'm a huge animal lover, i always go out of my way to get any bugs out of my house safely.

But why do I find it so satisfying shooting a Boar with a fire arrow and just watching it die?

P.S that question is not rhetorical lol

T.O.P

Banned
About 6 hours in and really loving the game...but Jesus Christ the enemy AI is kinda shit

You can clear an entire camp by standing in a bush and whistling, gonna stop me from doing that because it kills certain parts of the game's fun

BeeDog

Damn. Read the PSA about the bugged out DLC, and noticed I had been running around with the Carja Storm Ranger outfit. Removed it just now, and holy shit the game went back to being pretty damn hard!

About 6 hours in and really loving the game...but Jesus Christ the enemy AI is kinda shit

You can clear an entire camp by standing in a bush and whistling, gonna stop me from doing that because it kills certain parts of the game's fun
The more you advance the less of an issue that will be

Plus you will have much more fun ways of doing it

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
There is a thing I can buy for unlimited fast travel, right?

Where?

Once you reach the main city
Sellers have it at the bottom of the Resource Tab

It will be Purple and Very Rare, it will eat up 1 slot in resources
Unlimited Fast travel

You need some Metal Shards
Boar Skin + Rabbit Skin + Fox Skin

Boat will bed easiest, rabbit a little tough, fox Godspeed

Also have every animal bone and skin type in your resource bag until you get all weapons
TRUST ME ON THIS!

Don't sell the bones or skins!

Have a stack of each, it will under your resource in take, but will save you farming headaches down the line

Boar, Turkey, Fox, Raccoon, Goose, Rat, Fish

That is how I'm ranking them on getting their Skins
Bones will always be Green loot from Animal kills
Blue signifies Skin or trolls you with material to sell to merchant for 20 shards like Talisman, Head, Tail

Marvel

could never
Currently without Internet, this game is saving me from boredom in my new home. Can't put it down.

It's damn incredible to look at too with a pro and 4K HDR TV. Absolutely stunning!

Is there a way to skip the daytime in this game? Pisses me off that I constantly have to walk in the dark or with shitty weather when this game is so beautiful at normal daytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom