• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Had such a good session yesterday. My first
corrupted
zone, followed closely by my first cauldron. Came out of those feeling pretty good and then got fucked up by a stalker :p. Got it in the end though and I think that encounter has taught me better preparation with traps etc and considering the weaknesses correctly

About 6 hours in and really loving the game...but Jesus Christ the enemy AI is kinda shit

You can clear an entire camp by standing in a bush and whistling, gonna stop me from doing that because it kills certain parts of the game's fun
Are you talking about just the human AI in particular? Cause yeah their AI is easily exploitable.

The robos, on the otherhand, like the sawtooth actually leapt over my tripwire once he got hit the first time.
Another time was I got roped into a trampler's charging attack cause I was being bombarded by ice bombs from glinthawks

Gradly

Is there a way to skip the daytime in this game? Pisses me off that I constantly have to walk in the dark or with shitty weather when this game is so beautiful at normal daytime.

If you are near bonfire/camps, I believe if you try to just fast travel to some farther camp then came back, the time will pass. I'll try it once I'm home too

I wish the Hunting trails had an online leaderboard

They are so fun.

Best thing is they actually help you, without them I be missing out on doing a lot of stuff vs Enemies

Edit: actually how fucking cool would be if you could make your own challenge and send it to a friend!

The potential for this series is amazing

Ferr986

And this answers my question how exactly?

There isn't.

Wish they would do something with day and night time, a bit like Dragon's Dogma where night time is more dangerous (more robos or more aggresive), with of course, an option to sleep in villages or safe zones.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
About 6 hours in and really loving the game...but Jesus Christ the enemy AI is kinda shit

You can clear an entire camp by standing in a bush and whistling, gonna stop me from doing that because it kills certain parts of the game's fun

Your still in Basic land, wait till you get to Moderate land, you will not be prepared for Advanced Land I guarantee you that

Game starts you at a slow pace, makes you think everything is a cakewalk and cheesing certain ways is the way to least resistance in victory
You will get your hands dirty soon enough...

Then you'll come back to this thread and quote me and go "You weren't lying!"

Oh they do? I'm lvl 18 and haven't bothered, will give them a shot.
Yeah man, not only that, they are super fun, force you to think, when you get all gold you get a skill point and if you collect all the badges they may be worth some better goodies later on ;)

Yes they are 100% worth it

GraveRobberX

I wish the Hunting trails had an online leaderboard

They are so fun.

Best thing is they actually help you, without them I be missing out on doing a lot of stuff vs Enemy's

I forget which one but I murdered the Trial like in 30 seconds, first try
It was go down the rope, do objective, run back up to get my Burning Sun

I have one Trial remaining but I haven't done the Cauldron to unlock the Override maneuver for it yet
Once I do, 3 Weapons you earn from the hunting lodge will be mine!

been playing on Very Hard and so far it hasn't been too tough. Anyone one else tried it on Very Hard?

I'm liking this game way more then I thought I would.

GlamFM

Banned
Once you reach the main city
Sellers have it at the bottom of the Resource Tab

It will be Purple and Very Rare, it will eat up 1 slot in resources
Unlimited Fast travel

You need some Metal Shards
Boar Skin + Rabbit Skin + Fox Skin

Boat will bed easiest, rabbit a little tough, fox Godspeed

Also have every animal bone and skin type in your resource bag until you get all weapons
TRUST ME ON THIS!

Don't sell the bones or skins!

Have a stack of each, it will under your resource in take, but will save you farming headaches down the line

Boar, Turkey, Fox, Raccoon, Goose, Rat, Fish

That is how I'm ranking them on getting their Skins
Bones will always be Green loot from Animal kills
Blue signifies Skin or trolls you with material to sell to merchant for 20 shards like Talisman, Head, Tail

Thanks, Grave. Turns out I'm already in the main city - I was just looking in the wrong place.

Marvel

could never
Yeah man, not only that, they are super fun, force you to think, when you get all gold you get a skill point and if you collect all the badges they may be worth some better goodies later on ;)

Yes they are 100% worth it
Def gonna try these out later, thank you xD

I forget which one but I murdered the Trial like in 30 seconds, first try
It was go down the rope, do objective, run back up to get my Burning Sun

I have one Trial remaining but I haven't done the Cauldron to unlock the Override maneuver for it yet
Once I do, 3 Weapons you earn from the hunting lodge will be mine!
You can get some cool moments too

‪ https://twitter.com/IrishMantis/status/837056485309968392/video/1‬

Def gonna try these out later, thank you xD
No problem.

I talked a friend who was more than halfway through the game to do them because he just skipped assuming they where some tedious filler which thanks to other open World games they usually are.

pieface

A lot of talk about the War Bow, should I be using it?

My favourite weapon so far is the hunting arrow. Headshots ftw...

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
been playing on Very Hard and so far it hasn't been too tough. Anyone one else tried it on Very Hard?

I'm liking this game way more then I thought I would.
Are you playing with DLC armor? Otherwise you should be down in 2 hits from most machines at the start.

A lot of talk about the War Bow, should I be using it?

My favourite weapon so far is the hunting arrow. Headshots ftw...
The War Bow can apply Elemental conditions. But so can the Rattler. What the War Bow does that the Rattler doesn't is being able to apply Corruption.

GraveRobberX

You can get some cool moments too

‪ https://twitter.com/IrishMantis/status/837056485309968392/video/1‬

No problem.

I talked a friend you was more than halfway through the game to do them because he just skipped assuming they where some tedious filler which thanks to other open Wirkd games they usually are

Haha, they pulled off the Double Trial Win even if only 1 Trial can be active at a time
Hoping they create more variety and setups for DLC or hell create "Events" in this game

That would be awesome to see implemented, if not hopefully for sequel

Daily and Weekly Hunting Ground challenges
Give you the Groundwork, the whole map is your Hunting Lands lol
Difficulty tiers and Rewards galore

Goddamn this game has much potential for sequel
Just build upon this!

For me Guerrilla Games went from "FIX THIS SHIT, Guerrilla!" to "Well Done, GG, GG!"

It must be that 5/10 review score that's driving everyone crazy.
And the same US gamer gave Zelda a 10/10 just for the cookies and giggles of course. Lol, probably different reviewers or whatever but it does look odd. Regardless we got a classic to play, pick up a Switch another one, it's all good, everyone with a brain knows Horizon is outstanding, it'll be a more critical darling on the sequel if they do due dilligence.

Haha, they pulled off the Double Trial Win even if only 1 Trial can be active at a time
Hoping they create more variety and setups for DLC or hell create "Events" in this game

That would be awesome to see implemented, if not hopefully for sequel

Daily and Weekly Hunting Ground challenges
Give you the Groundwork, the whole map is your Hunting Lands lol
Difficulty tiers and Rewards galore

Goddamn this game has much potential for sequel
Just build upon this!

For me Guerrilla Games went from "FIX THIS SHIT, Guerrilla!" to "Well Done, GG, GG!"
Tell me about it!!!

Be cool if they have true stealth base trials no killing of shit for gold or some trails where you can't get hit tiny little filters can drastically change shit.

Good thing with DLC/Sequal they got so much creative potential without bottle necking

benny_a

Welp! that must be it! I'm out of the embrace and the dlc armor is saving my butt. only died once.
The DLC armor is bugged, you only take 10% of the damage of the most pimped out regularly attained purple armor.

Also the bow does more damage than any other bow.

Pay to win basically.

GraveRobberX

Thunder jaws meaty is its heart
Sweet Jesus I love Criting that Heart with Triple Arrow + Focus & Concentration+

It's where the 2 Disc Launchers are, once they get blown off, juicy yellow ember is right there for the taking

Kaswa101

When do the Hunting Trials unlock? Is it based on level or current mission? Or do you just need to find it on the map? 😅

How come I keep getting the failure screen on the lvl 20 Hunter trial with the bullhorn guys? You just have to use rooecaster to tie him down and then shoot the container off the underbelly. Is it because I have fire embedded in my arrows or something? They keep exploding and I'm failing the trial? So annoying...

benny_a

When do the Hunting Trials unlock? Is it based on level or current mission? Or do you just need to find it on the map? ��
You just find it on the map. The first one is in the starting area.

Some trials in the world have equipment gating so you may not be able to do all the trials until you have more weapons.

I can see where people find the MGSV similaritys in this

Although MGSV did them things better, HZD just makes them feel a lot more fun and less like a chore.

I'll say it again, fantastic game, but the dialogue is awkward for someone spoiled by Naughty Dog, lol.
I'd imagine so they got that to a T.

But it's still a huge step up from the makers of Blandzone: Prettyfall

Let's face it here. Kojima was looking for an open world engine from Sony. First, he used Sucker Punch revised engine for the first trailer (logical since it's an engine for open world) then he chose Decima engine. I wonder why Decima met his choice and was more appropriate for his game and vision or is it just because Guerilla Games offered him the whole source code so willingly, or because Decima engine has an amazing and easy toolsets to use immediately like a third party engine (according to what Digital Foundry reported)?

I can see where people find the MGSV similaritys in this

Although MGSV did them things better, HZD just makes them feel a lot more fun and less like a chore.

What do you mean? What are you talking about?

GraveRobberX

When do the Hunting Trials unlock? Is it based on level or current mission? Or do you just need to find it on the map? 😅

They are I think level based + having certain weapons + certain abilities to get all Trials done

5 Hunting Grounds + 3 Trials each
3 Suns per Trial ala Bronze, Silver, Gold in Time/Speedrun

So you need 15/15 on all 3 types which will earn you three good rewards...

GraveRobberX

How come I keep getting the failure screen on the lvl 20 Hunter trial with the bullhorn guys? You just have to use rooecaster to tie him down and then shoot the container off the underbelly. Is it because I have fire embedded in my arrows or something? They keep exploding and I'm failing the trial? So annoying...

Yes, don't use the same element arrow of same element the enemy has on it
So if enemy is carrying Blaze...

Rope them down, use Tearblast if you got the bow for it, if not just spam arrows at the underbelly galore
To help you use Freeze bombs, slows them down, literally molasses them and you do more damage as result
And they're susceptible to Freeze!

Can I increase my resources inventory to over 100?
I'm missing so many things.

100 is max

Upgrade 4 everything except the potions they go up to Upgrade 3

You can't shoot off containers with fire arrows, use tear arrows.

Dinda

So at the moment this is sold out on most of the Amazon's (com, uk, de etc). At least .de was out on day one and got resupplied, but sold through that also.

Guess it's doing rather well:) (or amazon was stupidly cautious with ordering very low numbers...)

RE4PRR

Completed game on Very Hard this morning, what a ride. Loved how you're along for the journey with Aloy in regards to not having a fucking clue what's happened or is going on.

Did bits here and there of side quests and such, hard to adapt to gameplay as I rarely touch my PS4 so having to relearn how to aim sucks giant dick.

Some parts of the main story I hated, mainly how
Ted Faros decided to go full Battlestar Galactica on humanity and make future generations start from nothing and wiping out the history of our species. Considering he was a major reason why we were driven to extinction I can't believe he had so much access to Project Zero Dawn like he did. But I still expect a way in the sequels for us to reclaim what was lost.

Some parts of the game certainly brought deja vu, the top of the Faros building looks ripped from I, Robot and the Meridian Sun-King's palace area looked like a reimagining of the boss fight area in Diablo 3 with Belial.

But anyway time to go for my 100% VH playthrough, leaving no stone unturned.

Let's face it here. Kojima was looking for an open world engine from Sony. First, he used Sucker Punch revised engine for the first trailer (logical since it's an engine for open world) then he chose Decima engine. I wonder why Decima met his choice and was more appropriate for his game and vision or is it just because Guerilla Games offered him the whole source code so willingly, or because Decima engine has an amazing and easy toolsets to use immediately like a third party engine (according to what Digital Foundry reported)?

What do you mean? What are you talking about?
I probably should added "IMO" there

Btw MGS is my favourite series so it's not some hate comment.

From my personal experience I found MGSV infiltration missions like a chore sometimes it could also be from
The fact I could be jaded from playing MGS games a lot and HZD is given me a different taste of it.

But I am not calling HZD better than MGSV or anything.

benny_a

GAF, should I play on normal or hard? And should I avoid the whistle skill since apparently it breaks the game?
I'm playing on Hard without DLC stuff and I don't have the whistle skill. You have a rock so it seems redundant.

I'm having a great time, the best combat I have ever played in an Action-RPG.

Yes, don't use the same element arrow of same element the enemy has on it
So if enemy is carrying Blaze...

Rope them down, use Tearblast if you got the bow for it, if not just spam arrows at the underbelly galore
To help you use Freeze bombs, slows them down, literally molasses them and you do more damage as result
And they're susceptible to Freeze!

100 is max

Upgrade 4 everything except the potions they go up to Upgrade 3

You can't shoot off containers with fire arrows, use tear arrows.

Tks guys

Muzicfreq

Banned
The more I learn in the story the more my emotions get stronger.
Anger, Love, Sadness, Fear
The story along with the musical score is by far the most emotional game I have played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom