• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jolkien

GAF, should I play on normal or hard? And should I avoid the whistle skill since apparently it breaks the game?

You can switch difficulty anytime you feel like it. Whistle skill is pretty strong until you reach a point when a crit won't kill a machine.

I probably should added "IMO" there

Btw MGS is my favourite series so it's not some hate comment.

From my personal experience I found MGSV infiltration missions like a chore sometimes it could also be from
The fact I could be jaded from playing MGS games a lot and HZD is given me a different taste of it.

But I am not calling HZD better than MGSV or anything.

Stealth gameplay has changed and evolved from gen to gen. We can't have traditional stealth unless we stick to classical gameplay and tight environments. It is harder to implement stealth gameplay in open world settings.

Wollan

Lol. Kojima at Horizon launch party. Herman Hulst in the mask:

C6JH_j3WAAIEfZt.jpg:large

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
You should really play Dragon's Dogma:) But i'm absolutely with you that the combat is fantastic, and the best one in any (western developed) wrpg.
I have played Dragon's Dogma, I think this is much more strategic. Of course this game only allows one playstyle, vs. Dragon's Dogma you can be melee focused or magic user in addition to the bow.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
What's the use of this merchant in
Meridian
selling trash?

You can offlload your extra resources to it, in return you get their "trash" in turn to trade it into another Merchant who gives you boxes in turn

It's like remove your clutter, for less clutter, to earn more clutter again!

silva1991

You should really play Dragon's Dogma:) But i'm absolutely with you that the combat is fantastic, and the best one in any (western developed) wrpg.

It's hard to compare between the two since one is is only about long ranged non magic weapons and the other has different classes.

imo Aloy plays better than ranger and magick archer.

I feel like no matter how many times I hit a weak point on a machine it never breaks that part. I'll target a weapon or stealth generator or whatever and hit it over and over and over. It does more damage but never breaks or falls off. How much do I have to hit this shit?

d00d3n

Two questions regarding selling resources:

If a resource is only used for "selling for metal shards" according the inventory/resources menu, it has no uses other than that? No use in quests?

Do different merchants give you different amounts of money for your resources when you sell them?

I feel like no matter how many times I hit a weak point on a machine it never breaks that part. I'll target a weapon or stealth generator or whatever and hit it over and over and over. It does more damage but never breaks or falls off. How much do I have to hit this shit?
Add on some of them tear mods son!!!

Also make sure you are using the right arrow type too like percision, hardpoint or the God almighty Teararrows!

Open question.

What was or will be your first max branch ability?

Mine was Tinker, because fuck being stuck with a shitty mod with no return

Hey guys just started playing yesterday and overall loving it so far, a question though

How do I compare an outfit/weapon I want to buy to one I already have? am I missing something?

GraveRobberX

Like what?
There is a bow, whose ammo is literally made to literally "Tear" off stuff

If your using regular ammo, have you Focused said enemy and read up on them
Hell even on the fly you target certain areas it tells you what the Weakness and Strength is

Say for Longlegs, shoot their chest/breasts, it will annihilate the health when that shit blows up
Same for Glinthawks chest or wings
Same for Snapmaws, their top spine or underbelly/sides

Gotta learn what to hit, where, with what

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Let's face it here. Kojima was looking for an open world engine from Sony. First, he used Sucker Punch revised engine for the first trailer (logical since it's an engine for open world) then he chose Decima engine. I wonder why Decima met his choice and was more appropriate for his game and vision or is it just because Guerilla Games offered him the whole source code so willingly, or because Decima engine has an amazing and easy toolsets to use immediately like a third party engine (according to what Digital Foundry reported)?

I think a part of it was that Guerilla already had success with supporting an outside studio working with their engine (Suppermassive with Until Dawn and Until Dawn: Rush of Blood).

Skux

Hey guys just started playing yesterday and overall loving it so far, a question though

How do I compare an outfit/weapon I want to buy to one I already have? am I missing something?

Unfortunately you can't. But there aren't that many types so you basically want the best one for that class, which are for outfits:

- All resists
- Cold resist
- Corruption resist
- Stealth
- Damage reduction

And for weapons

- Hunter bow (fast bow for standard/fire arrows)
- War bow (medium speed bow for elemental arrows)
- Sharpshooter bow (slow firing sniper/tear bow)
- Sling
- Tripcaster
- Ropecaster
- Rattler

silva1991

Get purple sharpshot bow

fill it with 3 good tear coils

RIP robot parts.

GraveRobberX

I've been using precision. I guess I need to upgrade tear more with mods then.

No Tearblast Arrows, there's 3 different bow types

One is regular/damage, one is elemental/rebuff, one is resource material/penetration

Triple Very Rare Tear Mods can decimate any Robot
I think I have Tear @107%on my Bow

And Corruption +137% on other bow

Add on some of them tear mods son!!!

Also make sure you are using the right arrow type too like percision, hardpoint or the God almighty Teararrows!

Open question.

What was or will be your first max branch ability?

Mine was Tinker, because fuck being stuck with a shitty mod with no return

How do you craft tear arrows? Do you always need to buy teararrows first and then you can craft them from then on?

Truant

Played for a few hours, just
crossed the border
and completed the second Cauldron.

A few thoughts:

Positive
- Machine combat is very fun, and it's cool that proper use of all your resources really makes a difference in DPS and survivability.
- The sci-fi stuff is great, and they really seem to give you a lot of insight into the machines and the overall mythos.
- Story seems good so far*

Negative
- Human combat absolutely sucks. It's terrible. It's like everything I imagine people must feel when they criticize Witcher 3 combat.
- * The tribal stuff is just not interesting at all. Maybe that's just me, I've never found that stuff interesting. I'm pretty much skipping dialogue until they talk about the sci-fi elements.
- The lighting and time of day seem a little buggy, especially during dusk and dawn. The game can look fantastic one second, and with the smallest turn of the camera a bunch of shadows will clip out and flicker.
- Outfits look awful. Especially the helmet ones.
- Riding a mount outside the roads is an exercise in frustration. I thought Roach was bad.

How do you craft tear arrows? Do you always need to buy teararrows first and then you can craft them from then on?
You need at least a rare Longbow I think?
If not definitely very rare

The item you need for them arrows is not easy.
Usually the bigger enemies only drop it so be mindful with them

GraveRobberX

Ah I see so once you buy the weapon you can then craft the ammo.

Correct
Until you haven't bought or earned weapon, you can't create ammo for it

TearBlast definitely is the go to for ripping Armor and Components
Just watch as shit flys off enemies and lands on the ground, exposing them to more damage by you

Correct
Until you haven't bought or earned weapon, you can't create ammo for it

TearBlast definitely is the go to for ripping Armor and Components
Just watch as shit flys off enemies and lands on the ground, exposing them to more damage by you
Yeah Tearbkast arrows are a must. Who doesn't love that pulsing sound effect

Especially if your a resource hog like me and can create 30 arrows to hold in your bag and +120 as Reserve to craft at whims touch lol
Same man, it got to a point its a problem haha

I'm fucking hoarding my inventory and never have enough room for shit but don't want to drop any shit either. I got like 7x 250 wood lmao

GraveRobberX

How did everyone do their skills tree?

I went right mostly (Forager)
Wanted that Health Boost + Modification removal ASAP
Knew it was gonna really help early on
Then left
Saved Middle skill tree for last

Mind you I'm talking about the +2 and + 3 skills

I'm missing the last 2 Overrides and some of the bottom ones that aren't a huge game changer like low health gives you a boost

Fuck guys, I was setting enemies on fire yesterday and they were clearly running into a nearby water source to cool off, and in addition to that there were a couple of idle Snapmaws a short distance away who started launching ice projectiles at them! Has anyone else seen this sort of thing happen? I swear I'm not going crazy.

GraveRobberX

Fuck guys, I was setting enemies on fire yesterday and they were clearly running into a nearby water source to cool off, and in addition to that there were a couple of idle Snapmaws a short distance away who started launching ice projectiles at them! Has anyone else seen this sort of thing happen? I swear I'm not going crazy.

Sometimes enemies attack each other if they encroach into their territory

How did everyone do their skills tree?

I went right mostly (Forager)
Wanted that Health Boost + Modification removal ASAP
Knew it was gonna help real early on
Then left
Saved Middle skill tree for last

Mind you I'm talking about the +2 and + 3 skills

I'm missing the last 2 Overrides and some of the bottom ones that aren't a huge game changer like low health gives you a boost

Focused on getting concentration first.

Realised then that resources will be scarce (damned wires) so I focused on getting improved resource taking and the disarm traps.

This means I dont have to worry anymore if my traps arent triggered, I can just pick them up back after a fight.

Also, since there's limited weapon choices in the game, I decided to take the option to remove and insert mods into my outfits and weapons as I pleased. That helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom