• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

JawzPause

About 10 hours in and I'm loving this game. The combat against machines is so much fun.

I don't understand the negative comparisons with the Witcher 3 and far cry (Especially in Eurogamers review). So far I'm enjoying this much more than either of them

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
where do I find fishbones

If you have reached Meridan
Leave the area through the elevator that leads to the jungle
Look to the riverbank and lake area
Snapmaws galore

Pull out Focus look into water
Tag all trouts and Salmon
Arrow away at the white tags with Focus shots

Can net 5-7 fishes in under 2 minutes
Swim and collect rewards

Remember if it's green colored loot markers, it's Bone
If it's Blue marker it's Skin or item to sell (trolled)

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
MIND blown! didn't know you can hunt fish. ty lol

Boom! This is why I'm hoping in the sequel there are mundane activities like actual fishing and hunting, with cooking to create other, plentiful sources for regenerating health and break the combat loop up some. There was a npc in the game that had a fishing rod and saying machine cable was strong enough to catch a fish (trout?) as big a a small boy. So deploying a rod along a brook, creek or river would be cool to me.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Where do you guys get the purple corruption mods for the shadow war bow? 3 of those would be sweet.

Any big Robots net you that

Rock breakers, Thunderjaws, Stormbirds
The ones that take effort to kill lol

Go to YouTube and type Thunderjaw farming
It takes less than 3-5 minutes per kill, just rinse and repeat over and over

About 10 hours in and I'm loving this game. The combat against machines is so much fun.

I don't understand the negative comparisons with the Witcher 3 and far cry (Especially in Eurogamers review). So far I'm enjoying this much more than either of them

Its not even comparable, especially far cry LOL. Especially since im playing on very hard.
An unplanned move does almost negligible damage and results in death 8 times out of 10.
A single move.
And yet you can coast through fights with 0 damage if you know exactly what youre doing.
Far cry vs horizon is like a shooting gallery practice vs actual hunting with bows

norog

The moment to moment gameplay in this is great and fun, and I had some hope when I was listening to the voice logs early on, but since then the dialogue has been incredibly cringy. I can't tell how much is due to the whole weird pseudo-Noble-Savage thing it has going, or if it's the actual phrasing and voice acting, but it's just painful. Entered the second area last night... does it get better? If not I'm going to start straight-up skipping cutscenes, I can't handle this.

Agent

I binged on this hard yesterday, probably played like 8 hours straight. I picked up the
Shield-Weaver
armor. Everything feels like a cheat code now. It's kind of sad getting that though, as I suspect the main story is about to wrap up. At least I have a ton of the side quests, cauldrons, etc. to get done. I'll probably work on all of that stuff before proceeding with the main story.

Either the human headshots hitboxes are a little weird or I completely suck at it (auto aim off, of course).

They kinda move a lot even when idling. I usually use the slow-mo just to make sure.

Clearing bandit camps with arrow to each of their head is more satisfying than using normal stealth method.

Really gotta give props to GG for the difficulty balancing. Very hard has been real good to me.

Let's see how I feel after I tackle this Thunderjaw...

Either the human headshots hitboxes are a little weird or I completely suck at it (auto aim off, of course).

Auto-aim off is definitely auto-aim completely off. I've missed so many shots just by the smallest of margins, even on watcher eyes.

EndMerit

I... found two non-hostile rabbits named Jack and Jazz at
the edge of the map, east from Devil's Thirst Camp
. Killed them, but didn't get any achievements or even rare drops so I loaded my save back. What's up with them?

Am I missing something in regards to weapon damage? I just cleared the
Metal Ring area with Sona
, but I still have the first bow, as well as a bow with shock ammo. Taking down bigger things takes forever, and I almost prefer hitting enemies with the spear to set up a critical to actually shooting at them.

I've found a few helpful mods but nothing above 20% damage.

Allonym

Is there a region where Stalkers normally hang out at? I've only encountered one during a sidequest so I'm not sure what regions hold their stomping grounds. It's the only machine I haven't scanned yet for the notebook entry.

Allonym

Am I missing something in regards to weapon damage? I just cleared the
Metal Ring area with Sona
, but I still have the first bow, as well as a bow with shock ammo. Taking down bigger things takes forever, and I almost prefer hitting enemies with the spear to set up a critical to actually shooting at them.

I've found a few helpful mods but nothing above 20% damage.

You have to buy more powerful bows from vendors. Purple > Blue > Green, I think is the hierarchy.

hydruxo

Is there a region where Stalkers normally hang out at? I've only encountered one during a sidequest so I'm not sure what regions hold their stomping grounds. It's the only machine I haven't scanned yet for the notebook entry.

There are a few of them
outside of the cauldron up to the northwestern part of the map.

Dany

Banned
Hold RT to increase accuracy in the bow. I didn't know that early on in the game and was missing bunch of shots.

Beat the game. Was awesome.

But there are so many things I have not done. Never even bought or tried all the weapon types! Have not tried Warbow or Rattler weapons yet.

Used ropecaster once. I was not impressed. Mostly used the regular and sharpshooter bows in combat. Tripcaster was useful at times but only used it in special cases.

Only killed 2 thunderjaws in my whole playthrough. And where are the behmoths? I Only saw ONE and that was in story mission.

Tons of map still unexplored after beating it. Got many hours left to really see everything.

ValfarHL

Hold RT to increase accuracy in the bow. I didn't know that early on in the game and was missing bunch of shots.

Its R2 on the Playstation good sir!

Yeah, I figured this out just after yelling like a madman at the game cause my arrows went all over the place.

SDCowboy

Things I want to see in Horizon 2:

Vastly more gear (armor and weapons). Preferably with actual set pieces.
Some light character editing (hair, tattoo's etc.) if it's going to be another set character
An option for aim assist
Don't make having harvesting items for ammo and health such a grind/chore
Campfires that heal you when rested at
Basic quality of life changes (buying quantities, not having to hold buttons to buy/sell, etc.)

Allonym

But there are so many things I have not done. Never even bought or tried all the weapon types! Have not tried Warbow or Rattler weapons yet.

Used ropecaster once. I was not impressed. Mostly used the regular and sharpshooter bows in combat. Tripcaster was useful at times but only used it in special cases.

Only killed 2 thunderjaws in my whole playthrough. And where are the behmoths? I Only saw ONE and that was in story mission.

Tons of map still unexplored after beating it. Got many hours left to really see everything.

Canyon areas is where you'll find experience, or the western portions on the map.

Allonym

Some light character editing (hair, tattoo's etc.) if it's going to be another set character
An option for aim assist
Basic quality of life changes (buying quantities, not having to hold buttons to buy/sell, etc.)

I haven't even beat the game yet but I can't wait for the HRZN2 wishlist thread. I have an extensive list typed out and everything already.

An option for aim assist
Campfires that heal you when rested at

Isn't there an option for aim assist, though? If you press options on the DS4 and go to the settings menu

Also worth noting that if you select Very Hard difficulty, Aim Assist is locked to Off

SDCowboy

I haven't even beat the game yet but I can't wait for the HRZN2 wishlist thread. I have an extensive list typed out and everything already.

Yeah the game was amazing, especially for a first RPG effort, but there is a ton of areas where the next game needs improvements or adjustments.

AudioEppa

Just finished the game..

Its on my list as one of the best games I've played says this generation started, and ever.

Going to the spoiler thread now.

SDCowboy

Just finished the game..

Its on my list as one of the best games I've played says this generation started, and ever.

Going to the spoiler thread now.

What level were you guys when you beat it?

I've done basically everything there is to do in this game and I didn't even touch the sling throughout my playthrough except for like 2 times, it's too slow and lacks range.

Nah the sling has a good amount of range once you use R2 .
Plus you can aim it higher and it will land on the robos.

Zackat

Why more gear? It seemed to me like there was too many armors already. I didn't even use all of the weapons. If they came up with a system to give you different appearances I think that could be cool. If they just added in more items it could get bloated in a hurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom