• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

nOoblet16

Am I missing something in regards to weapon damage? I just cleared the
Metal Ring area with Sona
, but I still have the first bow, as well as a bow with shock ammo. Taking down bigger things takes forever, and I almost prefer hitting enemies with the spear to set up a critical to actually shooting at them.

I've found a few helpful mods but nothing above 20% damage.
Elemental arrows don't do much damage until the debuff sticks (there's a bar that fills with each shot). The basic impact arrows you have are weak and when you get a better now you'll get hard point arrows which are heavy arrows and do more damage, you'll also get th ability to fire 3 arrows at once making you do even more damage.

The key to fighting machines is using the right debuff and taking down their parts. Some enemies have parts that explode when removed doing massive damage at once, while others have parts that either expose them or take away their key abilities.

SDCowboy

Why more gear? It seemed to me like there was too many armors already. I didn't even use all of the weapons. If they came up with a system to give you different appearances I think that could be cool. If they just added in more items it could get bloated in a hurry.

There really isn't much in the way of different appearances. It's the same handful, but essentially repeated for rareness (with very minor changes). IMO, there needs to be far more variety.

Beat the game. Was awesome.

But there are so many things I have not done. Never even bought or tried all the weapon types! Have not tried Warbow or Rattler weapons yet.

Used ropecaster once. I was not impressed. Mostly used the regular and sharpshooter bows in combat. Tripcaster was useful at times but only used it in special cases.

Only killed 2 thunderjaws in my whole playthrough. And where are the behmoths? I Only saw ONE and that was in story mission.

Tons of map still unexplored after beating it. Got many hours left to really see everything.

There's a behemoth caravan somewhere in the desert region in the map. Quite amusing these roaming caravan - Also if you do one of the side quest; when you get to the city of the moon; there's 2 behemoths out front fighting. That's where I first met them. Intense

the weapons are fun. Shame you didn't play with them.

JJShadow

I really wish the game didn't have the 4 weapons limitation in the weapon wheel, I find myself having a hard time deciding what to carry sometimes (a shortcut to swap between several weapon wheels customized in your own way would be awesome as well)

Holy crap, I didn't even know you were supposed to use R2 with the sling, explains so much

I found about this quite recently and it's a real game changer for the sling, it has suddenly become one of my favourite weapons lol

J_Viper

I'm about twenty hours in I haven't even hit
Meridian
yet.

It's going to be a while until I finish right?

Great game, but if I can run through it and sell it for 40 bucks while it's still hot, that'd be nice.

I really wish the game didn't have the 4 weapons limitation in the weapon wheel, I find myself having a hard time deciding what to carry sometimes (a shortcut to swap between several weapon wheels customized in your own way would be awesome as well)
I don't know if it will work but I would like to see a second weapon wheel by hitting L1 then L2. Or maybe it'd be just too awkward on the fingers.

Guys, I want the second power cell but the gate is closed On Mother's Watch, the one leading to the Mountain. Am I missing something?

Edit: Well, I guess I'll come back story related.

I'm about twenty hours in I haven't even hit
Meridian
yet.

It's going to be a while until I finish right?

Great game, but if I can run through it and sell it for 40 bucks while it's still hot, that'd be nice.

What level are you?

It's so interesting seeing everyone's skill choices. I went straight through left (Stealth) first minus the on ropes shooting one. Then the middle then eventually to the right. Only 3 more skills or so until I have everything. Stealth sprint is by far my favorite skill. Being able to shoot two/three arrows I don't use too much unless it's initial shots. However, I'll usually silent strike instead. Is there a secret to knocking multiple arrows faster? Shooting one over and over seems to much faster.

I got to
Meridian
picked up every side quest and finally just got back to the city. Doing every hunting trial nets you so much XP and Skill Points it's crazy. Not to mention those weapons are great. Minus the last trial I got a blazing sun in the first try almost Everytime. I am level 37 and my main quests recommend level 12. Having a blast though. All
Tallnecks and Cauldrons
done too. About 35 hours in.

Do you guys override many machines? I rarely do unless it's a ThunderJaw. Those are the only skills I don't have. Didn't see a point.

Guys, I want the second power cell but the gate is closed On Mother's Watch, the one leading to the Mountain. Am I missing something?

Well here's a glitch you can do to open it.

Teleport to the fireplace near Mother's Watch.

Go the locked gate.

Turn back, go and cross the bridge downhill.

After you crossed it, the door to Mother's Watch will magically open up.

Mesharey

No. They can be sold to any, as far as I've seen.
I see, there are many items that say "trading with merchants or selling for metal shards", the trading thing is kinda confusing.. dunoi if I should sell them since I'm running out of space (and money).

Mupod

yeah I dunno if this game is my thing. I've encountered most of the enemy types (based on the journal) and they aren't the intense battles I was expecting from the game's original reveal - I haven't fought the t-rex from that video yet, though. I'm playing on hard but even if I turned up the difficulty further it would just make fights take a little longer. AI is so dumb and leashed to such small areas you can just kite everything around until it turns around or loses track of you. I don't use the stealth at all because that seems like it'd make the game really boring, and triple shot arrows work just as well because nobody in this world seems to care very much about dead bodies.

I mean I don't hate it, I'm just not super compelled to keep going. The only things I actively dislike are the melee and sheer amount of gathering you need to do. Fuck just let me buy a huge pack of wire instead of buying it one at a time, or buy a full medicine pouch instead of having to pick literally 7-8 flowers for each time I get hit once by anything. The hitboxes are bad too but the ridiculous roll iframes seem to get me through everything. Just feels sloppy and bad every time an enemy gets up close, which is why 99% of the time I fight at extreme range.

I mean you know a game has some issues when a monster hunter player is bitching about hitboxes and gathering.

SDCowboy

I see, there are many items that say "trading with merchants or selling for metal shards", the trading thing is kinda confusing.. dunoi if I should sell them since I'm running out of space (and money).

I think it's called trading in this since the shards are both currency and a craft item (someone correct me if I'm wrong). But yeah, you can sell to any vendor.

10 hours in and just met my first giant enemy crab . Those things are damn hard.

I am finding the Dino battles really challenging going on hard difficulty , sawtooth and there speed / jump totally wrecks .

I am genuinely scared about meeting the birds and thunder jaws lol .

Mupod

What level are you?

It's so interesting seeing everyone's skill choices. I went straight through left (Stealth) first minus the on ropes shooting one. Then the middle then eventually to the right. Only 3 more skills or so until I have everything. Stealth sprint is by far my favorite skill. Being able to shoot two/three arrows I don't use too much unless it's initial shots. However, I'll usually silent strike instead. Is there a secret to knocking multiple arrows faster? Shooting one over and over seems to much faster.

I've focused almost totally on the left and center side of the middle tree - basically all in on more arrow damage and stronger concentration mode. But before I even touched any other skills I got the skill to find more loot off of enemies and craft more arrows from materials. I go through a TON of sharpshot arrows. Triple shots on weakpoints kill things like scavengers instantly which is very useful.

Mystery

Just got this bad boy last night. What a ride.

Qr8Mixc.jpg

Just smashed the shit out of 2 stalkers in 1:16 for a hunter trial. Had so much trouble with the first one I encountered. If you initiate on them with a Tearblast arrow to their stealth generator, then freeze them, they're fucked.

Ran out of resource inventory space. Wish they better marked your items, I'm keeping a load of stuff that is tradeable with merchants, but its probably still trash.

Would be nice if there was a storage box at Rost's house or something. Quarry fight was great.

Ricker

Just got this bad boy last night. What a ride.

Qr8Mixc.jpg

Grats I guess but I dont understand why you do this...its your money and all but did you not do any sidequest or read anything...? you skipped through so much that even though you got the plat,you probably did 1/3 of the game...or was it a rental...? how can you finish a game like this in one night...?

Mystery

Grats I guess but I dont understand why you do this...its your money and all but did you not do any sidequest or read anything...? you skipped through so much that even though you got the plat,you probably did 1/3 of the game...or was it rental...?

I did most of the sidequests. You have to do most of the longer ones in order to get a particular trophy anyway.

And you have to collect a lot of shit. I assure you, I didn't rush the game. In fact, I stalled the main quest when I got to Meridian for at least 15 hours. I also read every datalog I picked up.

I didn't finish it in one night, I just got the plat last night.

Ricker

I did most of the sidequests. You have to do most of the longer ones in order to get a particular trophy anyway.

And you have to collect a lot of shit. I assure you, I didn't rush the game. In fact, I stalled the main quest when I got to Meridian for at least 15 hours. I also read every datalog I picked up.

I didn't finish it in one night, I just got the plat last night.

Okay but you said last night...thats not even 15 hours lol...guess I missread you.

Anung

Un Rama
Really not a fan of the lower half of the screen darkening when subtitles of the choice wheel pops up. Muddies too much of the image.

silva1991

OMFG
stormbird
is insane. I barely do any damage to that thing

I don't think I can beat it without wasting so much ammos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom