• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Man

I just started playing and I think I'm going to really enjoy this game. I have one gripe that I need to make an Internet post about, though:

Introducing unaesthetic ~"computery"~ effects all over an otherwise incredibly immersive world is bad. Assassin's Creed is the first game that was ruined for me this way, I hope that it doesn't spoil Horizon too badly for me.

The earpiece thing actually isn't too awful, although it can feel somewhat jarring to switch it on. Maybe I'll get used to it. The thing that I dislike most is the icons scattered all over the world. It's such a beautiful world, and then you have this sterile black and white icon floating with a long arrow pointing at the ground. It draws your attention away from the world and reminds you that this is a video game. Please stop doing this. :(

I'm not against flagging the materials in some way, but you can't make them stand out naturally? Even if they just glowed or something that would be better.

I appreciate that Horizon offers something of an excuse for it, but I still don't like it at all.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What's the point of adding corruption + to weapons with zero corruption damage (which I assume is purple color), if anything at all?

silva1991

They go erratic and don't attack as much.

Bonus if there are more robos nearby, it will aggro on them and you can easily do damage while its distracted.

Oh so that's why you summoned the broadhead even tho you didn't mount it.

Man this game has more depth than i thought.

it took me ~15 mins to beat it....

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
What are some of the things I should sell and keep? I don't want to risk selling important items.

Look at the item description screen. One's that only say "Sell to Merchants for Metal Whatever" do nothing else. Other items will list other features like trading with merchants to buy items, crafting ammo etc.

Took a break from Zelda and got 2 or 3 hours in this morning. Made my way to Meridian finally, and spent some time their talking to all the merchants and picking up all the sidequests. Game continues to impress!

Oh, I got hit with the hunters lodge glitch too. The one where a scroll spoils a story event that hadn't happened yet. Luckily, I read a name and quickly backed out.

Zackat

Oh, I got hit with the hunters lodge glitch too. The one where a scroll spoils a story event that hadn't happened yet. Luckily, I read a name and quickly backed out.

Yeah I got that as well. I read the whole thing though because I can't help myself.

Kaizer

Banned

Can you say where the artifact is in the lodge? Haven't reached the Hunters Lodge yet, but would like to avoid story spoilers.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Just did the first Cauldron.

Forced to fight in narrow corridors. Forced to fight a boss with adds in an enclosed arena with nowhere to catch a breather.

Ok, guess I found the shitty part of the game, fair enough.

It's hard to feel too negative, since literally everything else has been brilliant so far, but man... That wasn't good.

Zackat

Can you say where the artifact is in the lodge? Haven't reached the Hunters Lodge yet, but would like to avoid story spoilers.

when you go up the stairs to speak to the leader of the lodge it is in a book on a pedestal at the top of the stairs.

BeeDog

Just crossed the border and met my first Stormbird, jesus christ. Thought I'd be a champion while underlevelled, so got the bird to fall using fire arrows, then tried using ropes to keep it pinned down. I was a teeny bit too close though, and the bird did some swipe attack that killed me and launched Aloy halfway across the map, LMAO.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

Forced to fight in narrow corridors. Forced to fight a boss with adds in an enclosed arena with nowhere to catch a breather.

It's hard to feel too negative, since literally everything else has been brilliant so far, but man... That wasn't good.

Shock traps helped me a lot with that one.

xviper

to everyone having trouble with Stormbird, wait until you meet Rockbreaker, he is very tough unless you know his strategy, i won't spoil it, have fun dying

silva1991

Just crossed the border and met my first Stormbird, jesus christ. Thought I'd be a champion while underlevelled, so got the bird to fall using fire arrows, then tried using ropes to keep it pinned down. I was a teeny bit too close though, and the bird did some swipe attack that killed me and launched Aloy halfway across the map, LMAO.

Lol, why can't I experience moments like these?

DefiantDrearyDoctorfish.gif

to everyone having trouble with Stormbird, wait until you meet Rockbreaker, he is very tough unless you know his strategy, i won't spoil it, have fun dying

I was looking at the map looking for another behemoth location and i saw an icon of a new robot. There is only one robot left that I haven't seen before so this has to be the rockbreaker

icon make it look like a lizard or something

Some faces in this game are fucking incredible. Like honestly, I am wowed that I sometimes stop listening, because I am so focused on how good it looks.

xrnzaaas

I've played only about 10 hours so far and I love it. :) Really really good open world game. Doesn't get repetetive (at least not yet ;)), borrows good ideas from other sandboxes, adds enough original stuff.

My only issue is how easily you can get rid of humans and smaller machines (I'm playing on hard). I mean the AI is super dumb in these situations. Hide in the bushes, use rocks, kill, repeat. In almost all cases you won't trigger an alarm even if you're doing a stealth execution next to a machine or another human. Thankfully fights with bigger monsters are more challenging. :)

I killed my first Rockbreaker in the
Quarry
and honestly didn't find him hard at all. Bit annoying the first time you come across one but not too tough to fight.

SDCowboy

I have a question for those who have beaten the game. I want to get the
ancient armor
, and I just got the third power cell on the
Mountain That Fell
quest. Should I quick travel out and get the armor now, or will I get a chance after this quest?

silva1991

yeah I just encountered two Rockbreaker . Yes they killed me.

My God this game literally turned into Monster hunter with that fight.

Trick with all the cauldron (and most of the mid to end game battles) is to make sure you go into one with a plan. Also at least with the cauldron they show you the robot you have to fight and give you sll the time in the world to prep for it.

Set up some traps, put some trip wires where you think the robot will be and always remember that you can check your notebook for the bestiary for a quick refresher on the robots' weaknesses.

Tldr: prep is king.

Man, all this talk about cauldrons, and I've done one cauldron and am Level 24. Gotta do some explorin'!

I DID find a
bunker
, though, but I need to find
power cells
to get through it. It says the suggested level is 25.

Don't want to know where to find anything. I'm just pointing out what I've stumbled upon and what I still need to do. ^_^

X-Frame

Having the Hunter, Snapshot, and War Bow's all at once is an incredible combination. I don't think I'll be swapping any of them out very often.

The 4th slot revolves around Tripcaster to prepare for tough battles, and then either I stick with Ropecaster for larger enemies or the Blast Sling for groups.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Rockbreakers are probably the only enemy I don't have fun fighting. I don't think it would be so bad if they didn't usually come in pairs.

Late last night I began a long treck to the other side of the map. Instead of the sun gate I used the upper area to go west and it was really nice until I kind of walked off the map and the game suddenly reloaded into my last save, which was a campfire fire all the away back

BigDug13

I just started playing and I think I'm going to really enjoy this game. I have one gripe that I need to make an Internet post about, though:

Introducing unaesthetic ~"computery"~ effects all over an otherwise incredibly immersive world is bad. Assassin's Creed is the first game that was ruined for me this way, I hope that it doesn't spoil Horizon too badly for me.

The earpiece thing actually isn't too awful, although it can feel somewhat jarring to switch it on. Maybe I'll get used to it. The thing that I dislike most is the icons scattered all over the world. It's such a beautiful world, and then you have this sterile black and white icon floating with a long arrow pointing at the ground. It draws your attention away from the world and reminds you that this is a video game. Please stop doing this. :(

I'm not against flagging the materials in some way, but you can't make them stand out naturally? Even if they just glowed or something that would be better.

I appreciate that Horizon offers something of an excuse for it, but I still don't like it at all.

I've turned off all waypoints and HUD I've changed to custom and went through to change to dynamic. For things that didn't have a dynamic option, I just switched it off. If you want to see the compass to refresh your bearings, you can touch the touchpad and it will show back up for a few seconds until disappearing again.

The only thing I don't like still is that there is no other visual option for the resource icons when walking around.

SDCowboy

Well I went wild and went back for the
Shield Weaver
armor.
Being invincible
should make beating the game a bit easier. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom