• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

AwShucks

I love the combat in this game so much that I end up doing the hunting trials and fighting everything. Ignoring most side quests though. I almost don't want to stop playing this when Nier is out, but Nier is my most looked forward to game. So I'll probably keep playing this during daytime when the kid is awake. Nier at night.

Gorillaz

How does a game that looks like this and be so damn good.

GG has always been one of Sony's best in graphics. Like they have always been up there with ND last gen with Killzone. So I knew it was going to look good.

The only thing I was worried about was them switching genres and making a good story since KZ has been squandered a bit. Yea these dudes have always been top of the class in graphics.

aristotle

Watching YT videos of people playing this is painful. Jericho and GoldGlove in particular. I honestly don't know how you game for a living and are still so completely stupid at actually playing a game.

Is there a way to lock on an enemy? Struggling with the combat to be honest. Drawing my bow, taking aim, slowing down time and shooting all at the same time I'm finding difficult. I mean it's not too dissimilar to holding your breath in cod when using a sniper rifle but the fact I have to hold r2 down then release it while aiming and slowing down time is tough to get used to for me

Dabi

6EQLuSb.jpg

Just had to share this. The Photo Mode is fantastic

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Shock traps helped me a lot with that one.

Tldr: prep is king.

Yep, I made good use of my traps, potions and tripcaster to get through it. I just wasn't expecting to find myself stuck in that type of encounter. It was a jarring change of pace.

All the way I've been a patient, stealthy hunter taking my long, slow time to plan and execute every fight as best I can in a wide open world with all sorts of vantage points, cover and safer areas to retreat to in times of need.

I just didn't like the Cauldron. If they're all like that I'll be disappointed.

Gunship

I had some of my most exhilarating moments of "emergent" (ugh, that word) gameplay since Halo CE last night.

Without giving anything away, the second Tallneck I discovered was located in an environment
a lake with two islands
which featured multiple mechs "protecting" the Tallneck, and blocking my route to traverse the Tallneck itself.

Just this one section lasted me a solid two hours and tested all of the skills and weapons knowledge I'd learned so far, including laying traps, resource management, overriding, using potions and generally thinking on my feet and second guessing the AI. Honestly, it was like watching an incredible CGI movie, the way it played out was so tense, epic and exciting. It's amazing to think that the way this section played out for me will be completely different for other players depending on their skill tree, upgrades, weapon selection, time of day, available resources etc.

Today I spent at least four hours preparing for my first cauldron - crafting, hunting, upgrading and getting familiar with my new weapons. It really feels like a proper open world hunting game where you're planning and adjusting your tactics to suit the environment and the enemies you're facing.

First game since Bloodborne that has had such an impact on me, it's compulsive, addictive and feels fresh and exciting. An instant classic.

Redders

I'm doing the
ancient armoury quest
and I need to get into mothers temple to get the
power cell
. How/where do you get back into it?

Finished the game, around 50h with all the sidequests/errands/cauldrons done.

Regarding the side-quests, it's a good thing that they didn't go overboard and filled the map with them. There's not too many of them and I like how they lead you to face the different machine types for the most part.

Overall it's a phenomenal game, really great experience. It's been a while since I was so into a story. The main theme is beautiful.

Ferr986

Was leaving the Dawntower road to Meridian and I see this fucking ass giant roboHawk lvl 27 (I was 21). What happened next was a friggin epic battle with me having a close win.

Seriously, downing that motherfucker with fire arrows and then ropecasting his ass so he couldn't fly away is awesome.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
to everyone having trouble with Stormbird, wait until you meet Rockbreaker, he is very tough unless you know his strategy, i won't spoil it, have fun dying

I kept dying because I fought them in pairs and tried to evade everything and it was working for a time but their "stream" attack seemingly has an area of effect/splash damage and so even if I successfully dodged their initial boulders, the shards are still fucking me up! Anyway, I just said fuck it and hid behind a tree and that acted as a buffer and did some "stop and pop" action. Does the way to beat them involve
not moving, ala Tremors
?

Agent

How far through the main quest am I if I just beat
Makers End
?

A little over 50%.

I'm doing the
ancient armoury quest
and I need to get into mothers temple to get the
power cell
. How/where do you get back into it?

It will be closed off, for now. It will reopen after a certain story-line and you will be able to get it then. You won't miss it.

Muzicfreq

Banned
I kept dying because I fought them in pairs and tried to evade everything and it was working for a time but their "stream" attack seemingly has an area of effect/splash damage and so even if I successfully dodged their initial boulders, the shards are still fucking me up! Anyway, I just said fuck it and hid behind a tree and that acted as a buffer and did some "stop and pop" action. Does the way to beat them involve
not moving, ala Tremors
?

Way to beat them
First destroy the Fuel tank as that should cut the ability to fire boulders. Next is to destroy the diggers. He should then only be charging.

Wollan

I thought I was nearing the very end of the game when the story opens up again and continues on. Good.

Referring to
Sunfall and what lies beneath.

Zackat

Surely pausing the game completely to go into the inventory and change weapons is more of an immersion breaker?

You should scan the machines and know which weapons you need to use. You choose the correct tools for the job. I think there could be one more slot, but that is the most there needs to be.

Surely pausing the game completely during a fight to go into the inventory and change weapons is more of an immersion breaker?

You don't really need to swap weapons during a fight, that's what I meant.

There is enough variety as it is with 4 weapons at a time, each having 3 ammo choices each - so it's basically 12 different types of attacks in the wheel.

Climbed my first long neck today...this game...this fucking game guys, I love it. Does anybody else not even bother with mounts? I just run around collect materials and hunt shit, too fun to be on foot in this game. Tried taking on the bipedal Nod flame tanks and well, I ran after almost dying. Fucking things are sturdy, I'm level 13.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
You should scan the machines and know which weapons you need to use. You choose the correct tools for the job.

Yeah, I know and I do. But shit can go sideways out in the wild.

SDCowboy

Climbed my first long neck today...this game...this fucking game guys, I love it. Does anybody else not even bother with mounts? I just run around collect materials and hunt shit, too fun to be on foot in this game. Tried taking on the bipedal Nod flame tanks and well, I ran after almost dying. Fucking things are sturdy, I'm level 13.

Early on I didn't. Then the quest distances started getting super long. I'm towards the end now, though, and pretty much just fast travel everywhere possible. lol

Mupod

thunderjaw was...anticlimactic, lol. Next time I won't shoot off the disc launchers, maybe.

I will say the notebook is invaluable. Literally tells you how to beat everything with ease.

I wish we had a bigger weapon wheel so we could utilize all our weapons

I too feel like 4 is not ideal. You can have a lot of weapons (even the same type but with different attributes) so only 4 felt a bit restrictive.

If they want to use the same style where the game keeps running in slow-motion while you select the weapon, I agree that the wheel shouldn't be much bigger. But personally I would prefer that the game pauses when you are selecting a different weapon, and in this case they could make the weapon wheel much bigger.

just keep exploring the map. most of them are in the desert area.

Cheers. Not seen anything in the desert so far but will keep an eye out.

Got 3/5 hunting grounds done. All pretty easy so far. Though took a couple goes for tearing canisters off the Bellowbacks for some reason and freezing the Strider dudes.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Cheers. Not seen anything in the desert so far but will keep an eye out.

Got 3/5 hunting grounds done. All pretty easy so far. Though took a couple goes for tearing canisters off the Bellowbacks for some reason and freezing the Strider dudes.

I'm pretty sure also climbing the longnecks reveals the locations.

Nesotenso

had my first encounter with a stormbird when I exited the Nora lands. Are these things by default at level 27? I thought that at 25 I would have a sufficient leg up on any new machines.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
You don't really need to swap weapons during a fight, that's what I meant.

There is enough variety as it is with 4 weapons at a time, each having 3 ammo choices each - so it's basically 12 different types of attacks in the wheel.

I can easily see a scenario where someone could have 3 bows and a sling equipped, then find themselves in a tense fight where they could really use their ropecaster. And you don't get the top-tier weapons with all the ammo choices for many hours.

It's a little thing though. A small niggle. Nothing that really bothers me.

The1Ski

Okay so I'm stuck.

I'm at the very end of the RHO cauldron and it is abundantly clear that I am under-geared and under-supplied. I am getting absolutely destroyed and don't stand a chance.

Is there anyway to get out of a cauldron once you're well into it? It doesn't look like I can fast travel. When I go to the map it says fast travel unavailable.

Anybody got anything? Situation just isn't fun

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Okay so I'm stuck.

I'm at the very end of the RHO cauldron and it is abundantly clear that I am under-geared and under-supplied. I am getting absolutely destroyed and don't stand a chance.

Is there anyway to get out of a cauldron once you're well into it? It doesn't look like I can fast travel. When I go to the map it says fast travel unavailable.

Anybody got anything? Situation just isn't fun
Load a prior quick or manual save before the Cauldron?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom