• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

In my defense, I'm on very hard. I shot off both disc launchers and used them. Only took off half his health.

yeah im on hard, I could probably turn it up. I like the aspect of the robots having specific quirks and weaknesses and you can easily take them apart if you know the tricks. That at least is very Monster Hunter like. But maybe the notebook shouldn't straight up tell you everything right away...they should've filled it in as you discovered it yourself. Not that every person on GAF doesn't already know the launcher thing in particular since that's what they used in the very first reveal.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Okay so I'm stuck.

I'm at the very end of the RHO cauldron and it is abundantly clear that I am under-geared and under-supplied. I am getting absolutely destroyed and don't stand a chance.

Is there anyway to get out of a cauldron once you're well into it? It doesn't look like I can fast travel. When I go to the map it says fast travel unavailable.

Anybody got anything? Situation just isn't fun

Did you save before entering the place?

atpbx

I had some of my most exhilarating moments of "emergent" (ugh, that word) gameplay since Halo CE last night.

Without giving anything away, the second Tallneck I discovered was located in an environment
a lake with two islands
which featured multiple mechs "protecting" the Tallneck, and blocking my route to traverse the Tallneck itself.

Just this one section lasted me a solid two hours and tested all of the skills and weapons knowledge I'd learned so far, including laying traps, resource management, overriding, using potions and generally thinking on my feet and second guessing the AI. Honestly, it was like watching an incredible CGI movie, the way it played out was so tense, epic and exciting. It's amazing to think that the way this section played out for me will be completely different for other players depending on their skill tree, upgrades, weapon selection, time of day, available resources etc.

Today I spent at least four hours preparing for my first cauldron - crafting, hunting, upgrading and getting familiar with my new weapons. It really feels like a proper open world hunting game where you're planning and adjusting your tactics to suit the environment and the enemies you're facing.

First game since Bloodborne that has had such an impact on me, it's compulsive, addictive and feels fresh and exciting. An instant classic.

Or, you could have just stood on the rock overlooking the lake from the north and shot all the snapjaws with fire arrows and saved a whole 115 minutes.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So i gotta admit, this isnt just a good game or a great game, it's probably the best game of the gen. i know zelda is out right now so i'm sure this will be debated for the rest of the year, but i just want to take a moment and just give GG props for this magnificent achievement.

To me, Bloodborne and MGS are two of the best games of this gen. This game takes the visceral combat from Bloodborne and the amazing open world sandbox design of MGS and on top of that gets the story right. We all know how good the intro was, but the world building from that point on has been top notch. I have gotten into many fights with Witcher 3 fans, and I really hope some of them play this game because this is what I wanted Witcher 3 to be.

Everything from the combat to the story and characters is top notch. Aloy is the new Ellie, a smart, resourceful and no nonsense fighter who continuously makes me laugh without making jokes. one of the guys was about to start hitting on her and she just checks him right there and says something along the lines of 'I'm gonna stop you right there,' great writing.

Yes, the side missions could be better and it's pretty obvious that ex-Witcher 3 devs made most of these side quests but the combat more than makes up for it. i still havent gotten tired of fighting these dinobots. I ran into a heard of tramplers last night and just couldnt resist fucking with them. overrode a few and proceeded to destroy every last one of them.

Playing this on HDR 4k is a sight to behold. I know the Pro hasnt been super popular on these boards but you guys are doing this game a disservice by playing this on the regular PS4. i know good 4k HDR tvs are expensive but start saving up. this game looks out of this world. you have now idea how green this game's foliage is. you dont know how beautiful the orange hue illuminating the world really looks. or how the moonlight sneaks in through the trees and fills up the jungle. to say this is the best looking game ever made would be an understatement. it's just so much more.

i took the week off to play this game and despite putting in maybe 30-40 hours playing it last week my map is full of things to do, my quests keep piling up and i am still doing level 14 story missions. this maybe GG's first RPG but it's just as accomplished as say a Bethesda or Bioware RPG which is mindboggling to say the least.

saw some carja on the road setting up traps for that chicken bot

helped them take care of it

one of the female hunters really wanted to talk to me after the fight

finally indulged her

she says, "thanks savage"

rude

Early on I didn't. Then the quest distances started getting super long. I'm towards the end now, though, and pretty much just fast travel everywhere possible. lol
Not surprising. Game seems huge, even the side quests are pretty good so far. Need to find a stronger bow though. My arrows weren't doing much to the bellow back sacks. I shot them but they kept lobbing fire at me.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
In my defense, I'm on very hard. I shot off both disc launchers and used them. Only took off half his health.

I'm on very hard too and what's really anticlimactic is the
Deathbringer, I literally hid behind a couple boards of wood and shot his gattling gun like 6 times and it killed him. I expected the cover to be destroyed and have a crazy ass intense battle. Oh well, that's my fault and not the game's for out thinking it I guess.

You don't really need to swap weapons during a fight, that's what I meant.

There is enough variety as it is with 4 weapons at a time, each having 3 ammo choices each - so it's basically 12 different types of attacks in the wheel.

Weapon mods makes a lot of difference though. I had three slings with three fire/ice/thunder mods in each for example.

I would've liked to use the trip wire and ropecaster more often. I basically run hunter bow with focus on fire, sharpshooter bow with handling/tear mods, sling with ice mods and blast sling with damage/handling. Switched the sling for the warbow once in a while when I prefered the ice arrows instead.

Barely used anything thunder/corruption related.

Wollan

Everything from the combat to the story and characters is top notch. Aloy is the new Ellie, a smart, resourceful and no nonsense fighter who continuously makes me laugh without making jokes. one of the guys was about to start hitting on her and she just checks him right there and says something along the lines of 'I'm gonna stop you right there,' great writing.

She's great. I noticed how several NPC's end up developing a thing for her. Not in a pandering "you're the bestest ever" fashion but there's a few times where you have to cool it off with the conversation tree.

AngryMoth

Kind of wish they had made night shorter than day. The game is much prettier in the sunshine imo but the nights seems to go on forever

How does a game that looks like this and be so damn good.

I still don't get how devs are making worlds this big and detailed. It's kind of mind blowing

c78.gif

Understandable given how you can approach every enemy with different tactics

The1Ski

Load a prior quick or manual save before the Cauldron?

I was hoping to not have to do that since I've acquired a lot of shards and materials. Might just have to bite the bullet.

Thought I'd be fine since I'm a few levels above but apparently my gear is ass. I have no sense of how the gear progression is supposed to go. Is it really just buying the more expensive version of the same weapon?

JawzPause

So i gotta admit, this isnt just a good game or a great game, it's probably the best game of the gen. i know zelda is out right now so i'm sure this will be debated for the rest of the year, but i just want to take a moment and just give GG props for this magnificent achievement.

To me, Bloodborne and MGS are two of the best games of this gen. This game takes the visceral combat from Bloodborne and the amazing open world sandbox design of MGS and on top of that gets the story right. We all know how good the intro was, but the world building from that point on has been top notch. I have gotten into many fights with Witcher 3 fans, and I really hope some of them play this game because this is what I wanted Witcher 3 to be.

Yes, the side missions could be better and it's pretty obvious that ex-Witcher 3 devs made most of these side quests but the combat more than makes up for it. i still havent gotten tired of fighting these dinobots. I ran into a heard of tramplers last night and just couldnt resist fucking with them. overrode a few and proceeded to destroy every last one of them.

Playing this on HDR 4k is a sight to behold. I know the Pro hasnt been super popular on these boards but you guys are doing this game a disservice by playing this on the regular PS4. i know good 4k HDR tvs are expensive but start saving up. this game looks out of this world. you have now idea how green this game's foliage is. you dont know how beautiful the orange hue illuminating the world really looks. or how the moonlight sneaks in through the trees and fills up the jungle. to say this is the best looking game ever made would be an understatement. it's just so much more.

i took the week off to play this game and despite putting in maybe 30-40 hours playing it last week my map is full of things to do, my quests keep piling up and i am still doing level 14 story missions. this maybe GG's first RPG but it's just as accomplished as say a Bethesda or Bioware RPG which is mindboggling to say the least.
I wish I could play it on a pro on a 4k hdr display but man is broke :(
Hoping to have both by the end of this year though

Okay so I'm stuck.

I'm at the very end of the RHO cauldron and it is abundantly clear that I am under-geared and under-supplied. I am getting absolutely destroyed and don't stand a chance.

Is there anyway to get out of a cauldron once you're well into it? It doesn't look like I can fast travel. When I go to the map it says fast travel unavailable.

Go to the menu and hit Load Game. There are like 5 auto saves and 5 quick saves.

Having a hard time getting into this game, I keep going to play it but then launching Rocket League on the PC instead. Really need to force myself to commit.

I was hoping to not have to do that since I've acquired a lot of shards and materials. Might just have to bite the bullet.

Thought I'd be fine since I'm a few levels above but apparently my gear is ass. I have no sense of how the gear progression is supposed to go. Is it really just buying the more expensive version of the same weapon?

What gear do you have?

IMO you should always have tearblast arrows to remove the machines parts much quicker to make them weaker and probably something ice related since enemies take a lot of extra damage from your attacks while frozen.

You should buy the upgraded version of the weapons when you can since they offer other types of ammo and also more modifications slots.

MaKTaiL

Watching YT videos of people playing this is painful. Jericho and GoldGlove in particular. I honestly don't know how you game for a living and are still so completely stupid at actually playing a game.
Look for a YouTuber called ChristopherOdd. He is the best out there.

abundant

Yes. There's 8 weapon types with 3 tiers per weapon; Green -> Blue -> Purple.

Those rockbreakers were no joke. Probably the hardest enemy in the game for me.

I also need one goose skin to craft all the ammo pouches. Can't find a single goose.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming

Yep, "Shadow" weapons are the best ones so go for those if you've got the resources and shards but if you're just doing your first Cauldron that may be a little too much to ask for. Still if you're having trouble in the Cauldron you may have to rethink your approach. Watchers can be stealth one shotted and Shell Walkers can be gradually reduced to scurrying crabs if you literally disarm them. The medium machine that acts as the boss of the Cauldron will probably give you a lot of head but can be planned around dependent on what weapons you have.

EDIT: Sorry thought you were in a different Cauldron...tough it out I'd say and if you can't get anywhere then as a last resort, reload.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Just this one section lasted me a solid two hours and tested all of the skills and weapons knowledge I'd learned so far, including laying traps, resource management, overriding, using potions and generally thinking on my feet and second guessing the AI. Honestly, it was like watching an incredible CGI movie, the way it played out was so tense, epic and exciting. It's amazing to think that the way this section played out for me will be completely different for other players depending on their skill tree, upgrades, weapon selection, time of day, available resources etc.
That played completely differently for me. I usually don't stealth a lot but I basically waited until the Tallneck was approaching a cliff, then I sneaked around, got discovered and just bolted for the Tallneck and was gone. Luckily no Glinthawk noticed.

Only now I saw the caldron you were on.
If you have the tearblast arrow use it to remove the ravager weapon and use it against him and the snapmaw. Try to paralyse the snapmaw with something (ice/thunder) so you can focus on the ravager. If you need place some traps on the arena before starting the fight.

Okay so I'm stuck.

I felt unprepared for the last cauldron and there was no way out so I pushed through and got it done. Good idea to make a manual save on a separate save file before going in

Mupod

damn the stormbird was a bit of a bastard. He kept flying around and hanging out on top of other enemy types. Ran out of wire for my precision arrows halfway through, but as a result I discovered that regular hunter arrows can do a lot of damage if you freeze the enemy first.

I'm rich now and have some strong mods. I'm thinking handling mods on the ropecaster will be very good - that will make it fire faster right?

damn the stormbird was a bit of a bastard. He kept flying around and hanging out on top of other enemy types. Ran out of wire for my precision arrows halfway through, but as a result I discovered that regular hunter arrows can do a lot of damage if you freeze the enemy first.

I'm rich now and have some strong mods. I'm thinking handling mods on the ropecaster will be very good - that will make it fire faster right?

Correct.

Are shadow weaps the final tier that you can buy?

Yes, but you can gain three weapons with slightly better stats than the shadow version by completing a side-quest.

Apologies, didn't mean to spoil anything.

All good, bad habit on my part :p

--

For the sequel, I'd like a longer delay between enemies respawning. Right now, it's a bit too quick. Optimally, I'd like to see them do a cool mechanism for respawns like Zelda does. I think it would fit in with the world as well, given the cauldrons and all.

Mupod

I'm sitting here like a dumbass pressing X over and over to buy wire one at a time because I use the sharpshot bow and ropecaster too much. Why the hell can't I just buy multiple?

Ferr986

I had some of my most exhilarating moments of "emergent" (ugh, that word) gameplay since Halo CE last night.

Without giving anything away, the second Tallneck I discovered was located in an environment
a lake with two islands
which featured multiple mechs "protecting" the Tallneck, and blocking my route to traverse the Tallneck itself.

Today I spent at least four hours preparing for my first cauldron - crafting, hunting, upgrading and getting familiar with my new weapons. It really feels like a proper open world hunting game where you're planning and adjusting your tactics to suit the environment and the enemies you're facing.

First game since Bloodborne that has had such an impact on me, it's compulsive, addictive and feels fresh and exciting. An instant classic.

Just done that part but I was lucky I think. When I arrived there were some NPCs fighting the robots so I just allied with them. Poor guys they all died :/

You know base PS4 can do HDR too right?

I wish I could play it on a pro on a 4k hdr display but man is broke :(
Hoping to have both by the end of this year though

DF comparison shows that both versions are pretty close.

Kind of wish they had made night shorter than day. The game is much prettier in the sunshine imo but the nights seems to go on forever

I guess you've never been in the snow covered Forest area at night. Gorgeous. But I get what you mean. My one complain is dusk and dawn don't last long enough like they do in the witcher. If feels bugged cause it happens so quickly

is there a trophy for difficulty level? I don't want to spoil myself by checking the trophies. I might continue playing on normal cause I'm sick of farming for health potions. For a while I was buying them but I ran out of shard quickly

Ferr986

is there a trophy for difficulty level? I don't want to spoil myself by checking the trophies. I might continue playing on normal cause I'm sick of farming for health potions. For a while I was buying them but I ran out of shard quickly

Nope. You can beat it in any difficulty.

I guess you've never been in the snow covered Forest area at night. Gorgeous. But I get what you mean. My one complain is dusk and dawn don't last long enough like they do in the witcher. If feels bugged cause it happens so quickly

The game is most atmospheric at night. I wish it lasted longer as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom