• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Gaia

I'm at the very end of the RHO cauldron and it is abundantly clear that I am under-geared and under-supplied. I am getting absolutely destroyed and don't stand a chance.

If I remember correctly, that's not all that challenging depending on how you approach it. Here's how I did so:

Take out the two Watchers first. Then climb one of the towers and confirm that there's a platform behind it. Override to release the Snapmaw and immediately jump to the platform before the tower lowers too far. The Snapmaw can't reach you here, so focus on breaking off the heavy artillary from the accompanying Ravager. Now you're unassailable and can either slowly pick away at both, or drop at a good moment to grab the heavy weapon and make short work of both of them.

abundant

Thats too slow for me. I rather go from area to area so the game gives them time to spawn.

But how is it slow? Pop your Focus to do a quick scan, tag any animals found in the scan and then go and hunt them. If you find that there's no animals around you, then go to a new area and repeat the process.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
The movement and combat in this game feel SOOOOO GOOD. The impact of every hit is incredibly rewarding. Knocking enemies down with a heavy strike followed by a critical never gets old.

There also seem to be very many weapons. Are the Carja variants generally better?

The movement and combat in this game feel SOOOOO GOOD. The impact of every hit is incredibly rewarding. Knocking enemies down with a heavy strike followed by a critical never gets old.

There also seem to be very many weapons. Are the Carja variants generally better?

Better than the basic versions (green), yes. Carja (blue) is the 2nd tier and next is shadow (purple).

They are upgraded versions, with more types of ammo and also more slots for mods.

aristotle

Just done that part but I was lucky I think. When I arrived there were some NPCs fighting the robots so I just allied with them. Poor guys they all died :/

Man you guys all did it the hard way. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I just waited until I could jump on the tallneck without aggro'ing anyone, climbed to the top, scanned him in and got the map, then just stood on top and picked everyone off. He is so high and moves constantly so it's almost impossible to die like that. Maybe use that strategy in future tallneck areas? ;)

Remember all the weapons also have tutorials so it's free XP if you just activate the tutorial quests and do them. They're usually really simple as well. One useful hint: blast sling against humans to finish it in just a few shots.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I have a question for those who have completed the game

I just finished the "to curse the darkness" mission and I want to push forward into the story but I've come to learn there's a defend.. meridian? mother's embrace? moment for which there's an achievement if you have all allies. How far I am? Will I get to learn the secret of Zero Dawn before that?

Noks415

Does anyone know if this game uses a lot of aim assist? As I've been playing, I noticed that I'm pulling off awesome shots with a very high frequency when hunting animals and machines. I find that I'm patting myself on the back every few minutes. I just find it crazy that shootung works so well for me.

Now that I have all three Shadow bows, every other weapon but the Ropecaster seems redundant. I have all element types covered. Not complaining. I love the bows and picking the right bow for the situation and being able to use 2 or 3 arrows per shot makes combat awesome.

Dave_6

I keep trying to do this "kill machines while frozen" hunting quest and it's kicking my ass. No reason for the amount of frustration from this.

BeeDog

Does anyone know if this game uses a lot of aim assist? As I've been playing, I noticed that I'm pulling off awesome shots with a very high frequency when hunting animals and machines. I find that I'm patting myself on the back every few minutes. I just find it crazy that shootung works so well for me.

There is slight autoaim in the sense that arrows slightly curve towards enemies/animals.

abundant

Now that I have all three Shadow bows, every other weapon but the Ropecaster seems redundant. I have all element types covered. Not complaining. I love the bows and picking the right bow for the situation and being able to use 2 or 3 arrows per shot makes combat awesome.

Using the War Bow along with the 3 arrows per shot skill is a game changer.

There is slight autoaim in the sense that arrows slightly curve towards enemies/animals.
I believe that can be turned off in the options but I could be wrong.
I keep trying to do this "kill machines while frozen" hunting quest and it's kicking my ass. No reason for the amount of frustration from this.
Hmm. Vallymeet Hunting Grounds? Plenty of Ice bombs for the sling? Try hitting the smaller bots until the ice gauge is full and use heavy melee attacks against them. Stay away from the Bellowback.

Nothing compares to the blast sling in terms of damage though. You can kill the big machines really quickly with it especially if they are frozen. With some mods it does more damage than the disc launcher from thunderjaw for example, it's a beast :)

Carcetti

I have a question for those who have completed the game

I just finished the "to curse the darkness" mission and I want to push forward into the story but I've come to learn there's a defend.. meridian? mother's embrace? moment for which there's an achievement if you have all allies. How far I am? Will I get to learn the secret of Zero Dawn before that?

The moment of no return / achievement moment is a bed, you'll recognize it based on that.

Jamaro85

Interesting that shock damage weapon mods seem to be asymptotic in diminishing damage returns as you add more. I only have +22% and +6%, but having one mod in and adding a second causes the second to add less than it would have alone. Meanwhile it's the opposite for fire and ice, with both scaling up and increasing the percentage of damage added as you add more mods.

Is that the Strider one where you have to kill 5 in something like 1:30?

If so had a bit trouble with that one cause they run away and took 2 hits with my sling to freeze. Managed to do it in the end. No strategy tbh but fire, slow down time before they run off, second hit to fully freeze then R2 attack to one shot em and repeat 5 times.

Hunting Trial right? Take the left rope freeze bomb strider R2 insta kills it. That's one. Book it to the right into another strider, two freeze bombs R2. You got your blazing sun now sprint away.

CHC

The more I fight the robots the more I see how masterfully designed they are with regards to armor plating and hitboxes. It's really cool how you have to learn which angles are the most viable to make certain shots or how to expose the super weak spots (like the tanks on the underbelly of the
Bellowbacks
).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay I haven't done even level 12 main quest stuff yet and I'm level 36. I have 40k "gold", am I ever going to spend them or should I spend them on purple mods right now?

Also is there a trick to the gamble? Can I reload the save until I get the prefer modifier?

WarrenD

Okay I haven't done even level 12 main quest stuff yet and I'm level 36. I have 40k "gold", am I ever going to spend them or should I spend them on purple mods right now?

Also is there a trick to the gamble? Can I reload the save until I get the prefer modifier?
Don't worry about level, it's pointless really. It's all about the gear. Make sure you've got enough for the shadow stuff. I believe that's the best gear available from vendors. Apart from that go mad on mods.

Kd8GMce.gif

Mupod

my ropecaster has 119 handling and fires so fast it's actually kind of silly. Really big drain on my wire supply though so I guess it's not that OP.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
All good, bad habit on my part :p

--

For the sequel, I'd like a longer delay between enemies respawning. Right now, it's a bit too quick. Optimally, I'd like to see them do a cool mechanism for respawns like Zelda does. I think it would fit in with the world as well, given the cauldrons and all.

Sometimes the spawning can be overwhelming but allows for convenient farming/grinding so I don't mind it too much. If they had a machine the functioned like a giant Spider traveling from battlefield to battlefield collecting, repairing and deploying machines, that'd be unique or it uses the parts of eradicated machines to create an entirely new machine. Shooting the back sac that carries and repairs the machines would make them burst out. So a risk~reward type deal for targeting that portion its the body.

I'm sharing this in both threads.

I'm currently knee deep in Horizon and BotW and I've never felt such a gaming nirvana like this in the past. Sure I've played amazing games but I can't recall two legendary games SIMULTANEOUSLY.

It's a blessing and a curse because I'm torn on which to play every moment of my free time. Both of the worlds on display pull me in and transport me to them so effortlessly. BotW with its many wonders and discovery and Horizon with its sense of danger, gorgeous visuals and sublime combat.

I know deep down I'm going to have to commit to one of them and put the other aside so I can finish one but in this moment I can't choose. For now I'll continue whoring myself out :p

Gaming bliss.

SkylineRKR

I really need to consider a Pro at this point. Horizon runs like shit on OG PS4. Its fine at the beginning, but once you start to deal with camps, tallnecks etc the performance is really average. Basically where its crowded or fog plays a part it feels janky as hell. Much like FFXV did.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I'm sharing this in both threads.

I'm currently knee deep in Horizon and BotW and I've never felt such a gaming nirvana like this in the past. Sure I've played amazing games but I can't recall two legendary games SIMULTANEOUSLY.

It's a blessing and a curse because I'm torn on which to play every moment of my free time. Both of the worlds on display pull me in and transport me to them so effortlessly. BotW with its many wonders and discovery and Horizon with its sense of danger, gorgeous visuals and sublime combat.

I know deep down I'm going to have to commit to one of them and put the other aside so I can finish one but in this moment I can't choose. For now I'll continue whoring myself out :p

Gaming bliss.
Don't mention "Deep Down"...ahh my heart, it hurts so...damn that game looked good. Shame.

I really need to consider a Pro at this point. Horizon runs like shit on OG PS4. Its fine at the beginning, but once you start to deal with camps, tallnecks etc the performance is really average. Basically where its crowded or fog plays a part it feels janky as hell. Much like FFXV did.

What?! I'm on og ps4 and I've had rock solid 30. The only issue I've had is when walking around a certain area. And even then it's not major dips or anything. If anything this is the smoothest ps4 game I've played in a while.

WHAT????

Seriously? This is one of the smoothest games I've played on the system to date.

Did my second cauldron and loved it.

I feel like the side missions are so varied and so fun in their own right. Going through a bandit camp all stealthy? Cool! Cauldrons and the environmental puzzles and stealth as well (man, RHO was stealth city for me during one part of it)? Cool! Hunting? Cool! Side quests? Cool!

And I echo what others have said: this is one of the few games were night is fun as hell to travel. The only other series that makes me like night is actually Grand Theft Auto.

13 or so hours in and I am getting bored :-(

Love the look of the game and the combat is great but it feels repetitive.

The combat feel repetitive because u are repetitive. Have you try to corrupt two behemut and watch them bull fight each other? Last shot each of them for the easy 7k exp + purp mats.

RefigeKru

Banned

I think I've felt one or two moments where the frames weren't near flawless around Meridian. Otherwise those areas are fine for me.

Putty

50 hrs in...23% done, just done 1st cauldron...WOW! Thats some proper Matrix shit right there...Bonkers looking...and super fun!

Did my second cauldron and loved it.

I feel like the side missions are so varied and so fun in their own right. Going through a bandit camp all stealthy? Cool! Cauldrons and the environmental puzzles and stealth as well (man, RHO was stealth city for me during one part of it)? Cool! Hunting? Cool! Side quests? Cool!

And I echo what others have said: this is one of the few games were night is fun as hell to travel. The only other series that makes me like night is actually Grand Theft Auto.

I know right? All their side quests are so much fun. It doesn't feel like a chore at all.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

I'm having no problems whatsoever and it's running just as good as DF and NXG said in their tech analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGmr_Go13Pc&t=461s

Platinum'd in 38 hours... off to BotW.

This is definitely a great game, though after getting the shield armor I was left feeling like that should've been a feature of other armors earlier in the game. Combat was way too clumsy before and way too easy after.

Still a phenomenal experience and the best thing Guerrilla has ever touched. This alone has made them a dev to follow closely in the future. Performance was unbelievably smooth too. Not one bit of noticeable slowdown across my whole playthrough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom