• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugenjin

I love the combat in this game so much. I haven't had this much fun fighting random enemies since MGS V.

What's ticking me off though is the item shortcut system or rather lack thereof. Slowly scrolling through the list is so annoying and you can't really get to the stuff you want when in combat. A system like in Nioh would've been perfect.

You are doing it wrong. If you upgrade the strong attack you can knock down some mid-size machines in one/two blows, followed by a critical. Most of the times I don't even bother using my arrows/bombs on enemies like sawtooth or ravager.

I agree with most of your points, but melee is not useless. Once you get the upgraded heavy melee attack (that knocks machines down more frequently) you can essentially melee down most medium sized robots. Heavy melee to knock them down, 1 or 2 crit hits, then heavy melee again when they stand up.

One main gripe I had was the camera switching so abruptly several times during every NPC conversation.

Eh, I just want a bit more from melee than simply mashing R1/R2. Using traps and arrows in infinitely more fun. I guess "useless" wasn't the best description. "Boring" is a better description.

TheSloth

run away while looking back -> jump + ads + ready arrow -> hunter reflex slomo -> headshot/weakspot kill

jesus fucking christ that never gets old.

this is one of those games you keep thinking about all day even when it's been a while since you played it. so fucking good.

Guys what's this dirty resin stuff for?

when you're out of medicinal herb and you're desperate.

Sanctuary

I mostly like the way Aloy looks, and she animates well. However, was it Sony who said that they were wanting her to potentially be their new mascot, or was that just some random article elsewhere? Because I can honestly say that as a person, I don't like her at all. She's one of the most obnoxious and rude main characters in a very long time. Plus, the wooden, forced and strangely cued voice acting doesn't help either. While she might have a right to have a chip on her shoulder towards the Nora, she doesn't need to act like a troglodyte to everyone outside of that region too.

Okay this is a really outside of the box question, but whoever is voicing and doing motion cap for Alloy makes me read into so much since the acting is so good.

Does any sometimes get the vibe she might be gay? The way she talks to some of the girls give me vibes.... she's more than likely not and it's probably my perverted mind haha

Going to break from the game and go to the tube and type in "Red head Les......(cough)... excuse me... Lessons"
;)

Ulong

I mostly like the way Aloy looks, and she animates well. However, was it Sony who said that they were wanting her to potentially be their new mascot, or was that just some random article elsewhere? Because I can honestly say that as a person, I don't like her at all. She's one of the most obnoxious and rude main characters in a very long time. Plus, the wooden, forced and strangely cued voice acting doesn't help either. While she might have a right to have a chip on her shoulder towards the Nora, she doesn't need to act like a troglodyte to everyone outside of that region too.

Everyone's entitled to opinions of course but I've been hearing nothing but praise from most sources for Ashly Burch's performance in this. For my own opinion I agree with much of that praise too.

Sanctuary

Everyone's entitled to opinions of course but I've been hearing nothing but praise from most sources for Ashly Burch's performance in this. For my own opinion I agree with much of that praise too.

In too many conversations she just abruptly tramples over what another person is saying, or essentially calls them an idiot. Actually, she does that in more conversations than not, and the way the game switches the lines is pretty jarring sometimes too and entirely unnatural. Her diplayed emotions are like some kind of toggle too, where she'll jump from calm, to instantly bitter, to "edgy" for no apparent reason.

Setmeni

So I'm about to hit level 25 and I have two shadow weapons so far. I just entered Meridian, am I underleveled? I haven't been doing everything I've come across yet.

I like her a lot one of the best MC in a long while .
Ashly Burch's performance was also rather good IMO .

Naite

Been ignoring the sling for most of the game other than tutorial xp. Then I got the lodge sling and tried it against the corrupted stalkers.

Damn.

ru4EzJg.gif

sam777

I have just defeated
Dervahl, I loved using the rope caster to tie the birds down, it made the fight pretty simple.

Also main story wise how far am I?

Aloy has that Katnis Everdeen vibe imho. And speaking about Hunger Games if anyone ever attempted to make a video game based on it I feel like it should use Horizon mechanics as a blueprint.

I cleared my first Cauldron and I had my jaw open whole time in it. I didn't have that feeling of exploring completely alien area since Kotor or ME1.

It's amazing how GG have caught all the aspects of game so perfectly and I'm telling that as long time hater of open-world games because they often feel like pointless walking simulators to me.

Just beat the game, only 36% completed. Going to try and get 100% but not sure.
Was level 25 or 26 when I started final mission, even though it said you should be around level 34, only died once during it, so it was pretty easy.
The shield weaver is OP.

Also - this might be one of the few games where I would like DLC, any news if there will be any?

abundant

So I'm about to hit level 25 and I have two shadow weapons so far. I just entered Meridian, am I underleveled? I haven't been doing everything I've come across yet.

Levels do not matter in this game, only your gear + mods do. By that point in the story, as long as you have a Shadow or Carja Sharpshooter bow, you should be fine.

That's it, I've just done " that " mission, the Grave-Hoard.

I'm crushed. Moral all time low. I wanted to beat the game tonight well nope I have no courage left for it.

Fucking hell. :(

Amazing writting

So uh. I turned the game down to easy since zi forgot I suck at games. I enjoy the combat but really just wanna get through the story. How shameful am I?

Just finished one quest where I learned a bit about the world before. Wow this lore sounds pretty good and the quest was a bit lengthy since I take my time going through the world. I think I'm 50% through the game now and I was already impressed. It's so hard to stop myself from doing all the side quests and errands before doing a main quest.

I do like 2 side quests, and 2 errands and then a main quest. Sprinkle in cauldron, bandits, and corruption zones.

Big Blue

I really need to consider a Pro at this point. Horizon runs like shit on OG PS4. Its fine at the beginning, but once you start to deal with camps, tallnecks etc the performance is really average. Basically where its crowded or fog plays a part it feels janky as hell. Much like FFXV did.

I have experienced nothing of what you're talking about.

pixelbox

Okay this is a really outside of the box question, but whoever is voicing and doing motion cap for Alloy makes me read into so much since the acting is so good.

Does any sometimes get the vibe she might be gay? The way she talks to some of the girls give me vibes.... she's more than likely not and it's probably my perverted mind haha

Going to break from the game and go to the tube and type in "Red head Les......(cough)... excuse me... Lessons"
;)

lol Been on it for years. >_>

Mupod

well now that I've figured out what freeze does and I have 3 40% damage mods on my sharpshot bow I can kinda just murder everything.

Falchion

So do I need to just start buying weapons from merchants? I'm level 15 and have just been using the bow, spear, and tripcaster I got at the beginning of the game. I guess I've been assuming weapons will appear as quest rewards or something but I guess that's not the case here?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Levels do not matter in this game, only your gear + mods do. By that point in the story, as long as you have a Shadow or Carja Sharpshooter bow, you should be fine.

Ok I have neither and am at the same point. I mostly used the Carja hunter bow and just bought a war bow to try and shock things without using the tripcaster (but it isn't always that effective)

What do shadow bows do? Sharpshooters I just read about for tear arrows. Seems an odd way to slice things up - having different damage types on different bows. I'd have thought they could have just adjusted how you get the ammo and let you use one bow for all types

abundant

So do I need to just start buying weapons from merchants? I'm level 15 and have just been using the bow, spear, and tripcaster I got at the beginning of the game. I guess I've been assuming weapons will appear as quest rewards or something but I guess that's not the case here?

You have to buy them. There's no loot in this game with the exception of mods.

Ulong

The only weapons as quest rewards are an upgrade to your spear early on (the only spear upgrade for almost the whole game), and the hunters lodge challenges give you 3 weapons at the end of doing them all.

well now that I've figured out what freeze does and I have 3 40% damage mods on my sharpshot bow I can kinda just murder everything.

yeah my main bow has 3 x 40% damage mods. Soo good.

I have a feeling that after RE7-->BOTW--->HORIZON game do over.

surprise that so far ITT I haven't really read people using the
BLAZING SUN LODGE WEAPONS
- because that's what I used near the end. Just that +10 boost to most stats FTW

ClearData

I think some do from Hunting Lodge challenges but most can be bought for Metal Shards or a combination of Shards and a resource item from Merchants.

Gorillaz

Stormbird fights feel like a mini boss fight especially when other enemies are fighting you and them. Like there is a real thrill to it that I haven't felt since the first time playing dark souls. It's lit, friends

AtkO

Might be a stupid question, but I still don't know how to swap arrows besides the two equipped? I might have done it earlier in the game but I can't manage to remember... someone plz help ! (I need those tear arrows)

abundant

Ok I have neither and am at the same point. I mostly used the Carja hunter bow and just bought a war bow to try and shock things without using the tripcaster (but it isn't always that effective)

What do shadow bows do? Sharpshooters I just read about for tear arrows. Seems an odd way to slice things up - having different damage types on different bows. I'd have thought they could have just adjusted how you get the ammo and let you use one bow for all types

There are 3 tiers per weapon. Regular gives you 1 ammo type, Carja gives you 2 ammo types, and Shadow give you 3 ammo types.

Falchion

The only weapons as quest rewards are an upgrade to your spear early on (the only spear upgrade for almost the whole game), and the hunters lodge challenges give you 3 weapons at the end of doing them all.

I think some do from Hunting Lodge challenges but most can be bought for Metal Shards or a combination of Shards and a resource item from Merchants.

You have to buy them. There's no loot in this game with the exception of mods.

Ok thanks, and are they vendor specific?

is there a shadow bow that has explosive arrows later on?

i see that the shadow sling explosive ammo, i think that's the only weapon i've seen with explosive ammo

im in meridian

abundant

Might be a stupid question, but I still don't know how to swap arrows besides the two equipped? I might have done it earlier in the game but I can't manage to remember... someone plz help ! (I need those tear arrows)

There are 8 different weapons that you will need to purchase or complete the Hunter Lodge quests. Each weapon has it's own unique ammo.

The God

Just saw a shell-walker pick up his box and reattach it after I shot it. Minor but still so cool.

Edit: Instead of reattaching, it's holding the box in place with one of its limbs. Even cooler.

yeah my main bow has 3 x 40% damage mods. Soo good.

I have a feeling that after RE7-->BOTW--->HORIZON game do over.

surprise that so far ITT I haven't really read people using the
BLAZING SUN LODGE WEAPONS
- because that's what I used near the end. Just that +10 boost to most stats FTW

Yeah, the blast sling is the best since it has +30 handling in comparison to the shadow version iirc (I think the base handling is 70 instead of 40). I got lucky with one mod that gave me 48% handling+19%damage, I put it together with two more that increased damage and it was basically like having a cannon in my hands that fires really fast. The damage of the sticky bomb was around 250 lol.

wouwie

The transitions between day/night and weather are puzzling me. I assume there are technical reasons why they happen so fast? The day/night transitions only take a couple of seconds and the weather changes are equally abrupt in the way they come and go. It's a shame the developers didn't find a way to have much slower and gradual transitions. It would have helped in making the world more believable and less videogame-y. It's jarring.

Mupod

so I wasn't sure what the preorder bonus from amazon was for this, and I never got it until just now. I had to pester their support for it and it took them 2 days.

I redeemed it and it's like 10 wood, 10 shards and a green weapon mod. I...why did I even bother?

ValfarHL

In too many conversations she just abruptly tramples over what another person is saying, or essentially calls them an idiot. Actually, she does that in more conversations than not, and the way the game switches the lines is pretty jarring sometimes too and entirely unnatural. Her diplayed emotions are like some kind of toggle too, where she'll jump from calm, to instantly bitter, to "edgy" for no apparent reason.

This isn't as unnatural as one might think. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom