• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdytoroll

This game really is great. And wow that story, such an interesting idea. The story really picked up steam since coming to Meridian. I think I'm near the end though. Just had the amazing
gladiator
fight.

I just fault 2 Thunderjaws + 2 Glinthawks + 2 Lancehorns all at the same time and won. Also, I have it all recorded.
tumblr_mttvhl00R71s7eo7fo1_500.gif

Ulong

The one critique I really have of the story is that the number of primary story missions that are
walking through ruins listening to info dumps
is quite large, and will probably not be that exciting on repeated playthroughs.

Wagram

Man i'm so glad that Witcher 3 exists. It's making devs in this genre step up story work and while I don't believe Horizon is Witcher 3 level, it's many steps up from what we've had in the past from other developers.

JayB1920

So what is the consensus on the collectibles? Is it worth hunting them down? What rewards do you receive for trading them in. Getting blazing suns for all trials wasn't worth the trouble.

The one critique I really have of the story is that the number of primary story missions that are
is quite large, and will probably not be that exciting on repeated playthroughs.

I loved them actually, since the story was really intriguing. I took a lot of time looking for every single piece of information that was available in those areas. In a 2nd run you can just sprint to the yellow marker ignoring them and skip cutscenes, so those missions will be over really fast

hbkdx12

I mentioned this in a previous post but honestly i think the pacing is kind of bad

abundant

So what is the consensus on the collectibles? Is it worth hunting them down? What rewards do you receive for trading them in. Getting blazing suns for all trials wasn't worth the trouble.

You turn them in for treasure boxes that give you something like 500 metal shards, some mods, and other stuff.

CHC

Man i'm so glad that Witcher 3 exists. It's making devs in this genre step up story work and while I don't believe Horizon is Witcher 3 level, it's many steps up from what we've had in the past from other developers.

I feel like this is really one of the first games we have yet seen where The Witcher III meaningfully impacted a large chunk of the game's development. There is no way Horizon would be exactly what it is now without its influence. It might still have been good, it just would have been different.

shiba5

Combat is way more fun than Witcher 3. I also think the main story is better too.

Was enjoying this game pretty well, but once you hit those moments where you're fighting a bunch of tougher machines and you gotta lay traps and run around and plan on the fly...that's when it gets damn good. The machine combat (and absurdly, absurdly gorgeous world) really sets it apart and above from the Ubisoft games. Got a lot of Witcher 3 in it too, both in its writing and the dumb "investigate and then follow the glowing trail".

Played like 4 hours today so I'm clearly pretty hooked to it.

Fighting the humans is straight trash though. The Killzone games tell me they could have done much better in that regard.

Wollan

I bought a warbow for the first time and its paying dividens straight after. I'm doing a segment involving heaps of machines in ambush and I'm making these pick each other apart with corruption arrows. Crazy light show with laser and freeze attacks all over.

AtkO

Now it's time for other WRPGs to take from HZD combat .
There is no going back for me .

Aloy is sooooo fun to control. That's the greatest pro of the game, the combat and the way Aloy is animated, what she can do (you run towards an obstacle and she parkours on her own, hnnggnnnnn), the feedback of all your actions, no matter what she does she does it perfectly.

I thought that the trials were really fun for the most part
the thunderjaw/ravager ones are fucking amazing, I was crushed when I finished one of them with exactly 2:00 minutes (time limit) and the game didn't give me the blazing sun ;_;

I didn't bother with the other stuff like flowers and ancient vessels, just picked a few of them that were on the way. You get some mods in return.

Got a lot of Witcher 3 in it too, both in its writing and the dumb "investigate and then follow the glowing trail".

Thank god you don't need to keep a button pressed. Just highlight track and sprint, at least they improved a bit there lol

Anybody here finish the main story and did a fair share of side things that rates this game 5/10?

That review was trash and clickbait, I think it was the one that mentioned that it couldn't remember a single music track from the game... smh

valkyre

This is the game of the generation (so far) for me...

I have been playing this game for over 50 hours and I still feel like on my honeymoon period... i still stop to marvel at the sunsets and sunrises, trying to grasp how they managed to offer such visuals on a open world console game...

And its not just that... the amazing gameplay, the rush and thrill of killing your first Thunderjaw and Stormbird as well as the subsequent battles with the amazing variety of enemies, the satisfaction of the shooting elements, the movement of my character.... the great use of dialogue and the super interesting lore of the universe they have created... the world design ... the... the...

My God... what a masterpiece...!

MaKTaiL

Anybody here finish the main story and did a fair share of side things that rates this game 5/10?

That USGamer review was so unfair. This game is 8/10 at worst. 5/10 is pratically unplayable by today's standards. These are No Man's Sky scores, not Horizon's.

I mentioned this in a previous post but honestly i think the pacing is kind of bad

I totally agree with your previous post on the lore.
Way too much info in the last 20% of the game, the info dripping became a giant shot

Hope in horizon 2 they can pace it better or at least give it smaller shots.

I agree, but its a god dam awesome first try to make a light rpg from a FPS studio like Guerilla games.

JJShadow

So I'm starting to get some purple mods, but at the moment most of my equipment is still blue. Should I save these mods until I buy/get the purple version of each weapon so I don't waste them?

And is there any way to get purple weapons besides buying them from merchants?

That USGamer review was so unfair. This game is 8/10 at worst. 5/10 is pratically unplayable by today's standards. These are No Man's Sky scores, not Horizon's.
Yeah I Agree with you and Pinto

I'm just playing trying to comprehend what she did wrong, did she only play with the normal arrow through the whole game? Only use lights?

Opinions are opinions but there has to be a drawing line where an opinion is considered wrong lol

I've yet to see anybody in here really talk down on it!

The worst I seen is somebody quitting after a few hours because it felt boring which is fine as they prob didn't give it a chance, but as a reviewer you obviously have to complete the game.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
15 half-suns GET!

It's like either I get half-suns or I get blazing suns, there's no inbetween.

The Glinthawk trials were a biiiiiiiiitch

Mystery

So I'm starting to get some purple mods, but at the moment most of my equipment is still blue. Should I save these mods until I buy/get the purple version of each weapon so I don't waste them?

I read you can find them from drops, but never happened to me. You get a Tearblaster from a sidequest, and if you get complete the Hunter Trials you get the best in slot weapons.

two corrupted rockbreakers..... really game?

For that Corrupted Zone, I literally just stood on a pile of rocks and used Tear and Fire Arrows for like 10 minutes. The Rockbreakers never got close, just jumped in and out of the ground and threw stuff at me.

You get more then enough purple mods in this game, seems like it was designed to get you to full power asap, instead of normal progression.
Hell i didn't even modded my weapons and armor till end game. Its not really needed on hard just don't fuck up and pull in too many mobs.

Personally I found it really exciting uncovering the story piece by piece from the ruins. It really made sense given the situation.

Also, I think it's almost ideal for repeat playthroughs, because the ruins can be traversed very quickly if the player isn't interested in the info dumps. I'd rather that than have to skip or watch cutscene after cutscene. Or walk through forced narrative segments (e.g. Uncharted 4), I find those types of games significantly less replayable.

All of the ruins take about 5 minutes to navigate each, if you know roughly where you're going.

With that said, I probably won't replay. There's plenty for me left to do in the open world, and that's also where the games best encounters take place.

Skux

Still pretty early on but I ran into my first Bellowbacks. Three of them. Damn what was a lot of dodge rolling. I found that freeze bombs worked great to make them take a lot more damage.

So satisfying when I finally took them down. Honestly nothing has given this kind of combat rush since Bayonetta. This is the kind of game where you say shit like "die motherfucker" after you take down big game before sighing with relief that you made it out with a quarter bar of health and no potions. That's how meaningful the fights are.

Pro tip: Use resistance potions! Anyone who has played The Witcher should know how important these are. Don't just sit there tanking fire damage.

More power to them but I don't think I've ever felt so at odds with a review before. Generally, I don't think to myself, "oh I'm writing them off" but I don't think USGamer reviews will ever hold merit for me again.

AtkO

Eh. When someone is THAT far off, sure they can have their opinion and all, but it shouldn't be taken seriously.

Yea, to me the problem is the person (or the interest, damn clicks), not the game, there's no way in hell this is a 5/10 game, it's too polished and has a decent story from the worst angle you can look at it.

two corrupted rockbreakers..... really game?

In one of my tries in that fight the snapmaws that were close to that area also joined the party lol

So are the lodge weapons just cosmetically different? Stats seem the same.

Slightly better in two of them, blast sling has much better handling iirc.

They are easy to cheese. Also use tear arrows on their feet to stop at least one from digging.

Where's the fun in that? :(

Dubz

I think it's a better story than the Witxher 3 with more likeable and memorable characters. Just one mans opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom