• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

PepperedHam

For that Corrupted Zone, I literally just stood on a pile of rocks and used Tear and Fire Arrows for like 10 minutes. The Rockbreakers never got close, just jumped in and out of the ground and threw stuff at me.

Found the rocks I assume you stood on, pretty good high pile, took em both down with ease thanks. Worked like a charm. I was about to start fearing for my blood pressure.

Apathy

Yea, to me the problem is the person (or the interest, damn clicks), not the game, there's no way in hell this is a 5/10 game, it's too polished and has a decent story from the worst angle you can look at it.

even by their own scale it doesn't make sense

5 – Phenomenal. It might have a few flaws, but everything comes together to deliver an incredible, compelling and enjoyable gaming experience that shouldn't be missed.
4 – Great. While it might not be best of breed, it's nevertheless still highly enjoyable and is very much worth playing.
3 – Average. It might tick all the right boxes and deliver a decent gaming experience – but it's not something that'll make a lasting impression.
2 – Below average. It might look good and be professionally produced, but it has flaws and issues that ruin the fun.
1 – Poor. For whatever reasons, this game is riddled with problems that completely detract from any enjoyment that could be derived from playing it.

I would have preferred Mike to have been the reviewer on it. Playing though it now, I gotta imagine she would have given BOTW a 2.5/5 as well. Like I have no idea what game the reviewer was playing to give it that score

Edit: Eurogamer also didn't want to give it a "recommended" or "essential". Like I have no idea what a game has to do to be considered an essential for the system, HZD is by every metric a required game to play if you own a ps4.

Elitist1945

I'm stuck in a boss fight and I don't have the necessary ammo to take it down but it doesn't let me leave the area or exit the fight and my last save too far back in progress. Any ideas?

I'm stuck in a boss fight and I don't have the necessary ammo to take it down but it doesn't let me leave the area or exit the fight and my last save too far back in progress. Any ideas?

Use melee.

It's an idea, but maybe not a good one depending of what you are fighting

In the quest To Curse The Darkeness, I'm listening to all the audio data points and the way
Helis
talks reminds me of a Metal Gear villain

Mystery

I just remembered a stupid small issue that really bugged me. The Tutorial Quests you get when you get a new weapon cannot be completed unless you select them as your active quest. Also the Lodge variants can't complete the Shadow (or below) quests, even though the Shadow variants can complete the Carja variant quests.

I've actually just gone back and read the USGamer review again having played the game.

Yea, sorry, that's a bad review. A really bad piece of writing. Incredibly reductive, poorly written and reads like it's written by someone who didn't even want to give the game a chance. Yikes.

I'm consistently extremely impressed by the combat, and how exhilarating encounters are. Every tool in your arsenal is valid and useful. Crafting and changing weapons on the go doesn't break the flow of gameplay for a moment (unless you need to equip a weapon not currently equipped, my only complaint). Even overriding enemies can just give you an extra hand up in combat with a companion to fight by your side. It's deeply satisfying when you consistently find a way to bring down a type of machine, but even then, it can sometimes steamroll into a trainwreck. Horizon's combat is consistently some of the most exhilarating of any game I've ever played, up there with Soulsborne games and Platinum/etc. Horizon's gameplay has this perfect sweet spot that I'm having trouble describing - it's fast and reactive, whilst still very tactical? I feel like I always, always have valid options, and I love the variety and freedom. I think there is also an emphasis in learning and reacting on the fly, no matter what situation you find yourself in. It's really unique and refreshing.

Between Horizon and BotW, it's really been an epiphany about how important satisfying gameplay, exploration, and gameplay loops are, how much they effect my enjoyment of games in a way I never realized, especially as someone who has a love/hate relationship with open world games. Horizon has given me the epiphany why I found TW3 to be such a slog at times - I adored the writing and the world building, never really enjoyed the gameplay loop, even on Death March. Death March also meant I was spending a lot of time in menus preparing for encounters, too, which isn't something I love in any game, let alone with the menu lag on console. I had a very stop/start relationship with TW3, because I'd put it down for months at a time because of the tedium. Meanwhile, Horizon's gameplay loop is very addictive, and constantly feels fresh. I feel like Horizon's found that perfect gameplay loop balance like no open world game I've played before, even over my darling Fallout: New Vegas.

you can buy stacks of 200 at merchants.

Wire is the bane of my existence, I go through it so fast.

I'm struggling to remember the skill names, but along with Scavenger to get more items from enemies, there is also a skill that lets you pick up your traps if you don't use them, which has save me a lot of material. The best one of all is a skill that, let's say you make one trap, for the price of one trap's worth of materials you might get three or four traps instead. I haven't had any trouble not having enough material since then, and I'm a serial tripcaster user, and do use the ropecaster quite often.

Mystery

I've actually just gone back and read the USGamer review again having played the game.

Yea, sorry, that's a bad review. A really bad piece of writing. Incredibly reductive, poorly written and reads like it's written by someone who didn't even want to give the game a chance. Yikes.

I mean, the review worked. You went back and gave them another click, which I'm sure a lot of people did. Many members here are still talking about the review, giving them tons of mindshare. I know a lot of people like to defend controversial reviews, but the fact of the matter remains that if you are a small-medium publication and give a high profile game a hugely contrasting negative review, you WILL get clicks, and you WILL get people talking about your site.

MaKTaiL

I know! How dare somebody have an opinion that differs from mine!

LOL. That's totally not the point. The review was clearly biased towards hating the game. It lacked any sort of details about the criticisms she was making and in many instances her claims contradicted her exemples of gameplay. She said the side quests all had the same layout and then described 2 side which were completely different from each other. I totally welcome negative/different opinion from my own. Her review however was lacking professionalism. She doesn't like Open World games and underscores the game because of that. I don't like Diablo 3 for instance but that would never make me score it low because I know it's an incredible game, I just don't like the genre. I would probably not pick it up for review either which is what she should have done. Give it someone who actually enjoys open world games and have means of comparison. It's like handing over a science fiction movie to someone who absolutely hates the genre for review. Of course they will score it lower than everyone else.

LOL. That's totally not the point. The review was clearly biased towards hating the game. It lacked any sort of details about the criticisms she was making and in many instances her claims contradicted her exemples of gameplay. She said the side quests all had the same layout and then described 2 side which were completely different from each other. I totally welcome negative/different opinion from my own. Her review however was lacking professionalism. She doesn't like Open World games and underscores the game because of that. I don't like Diablo 3 for instance but that would never make me score it low because I know it's an incredible game, I just don't like the genre. I would probably not pick it up for review either which is what she should have done. Give it someone who actually enjoys open world games and have means of comparison.

Yea, one thing is abundantly clear: the reviewers dislike of the genre or type of game seeps through the writing. Even if it's not the case, the way it's written, it sure feels like it.

"Not another open world game, ugh."

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The moment to moments of gameplay/exploration in this game are freaking amazing and I find myself constantly picking up my jaw from the floor ahahaa. This is just superb.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
LOL. That's totally not the point. The review was clearly biased towards hating the game. It lacked any sort of details about the criticisms she was making and in many instances her claims contradicted her exemples of gameplay. She said the side quests all had the same layout and then described 2 side which were completely different from each other. I totally welcome negative/different opinion from my own. Her review however was lacking professionalism. She doesn't like Open World games and underscores the game because of that. I don't like Diablo 3 for instance but that would never make me score it low because I know it's an incredible game, I just don't like the genre.

The side quests all have almost the exact same structure. I don't mind it because the combat is fun, but they're all extremely similar. Youre either "investigating" which leads to fighting robots, or just straight up confrontations. The investigations all are following trails which there's not any real investigating.

Don't get me wrong I love the game, but it's side quests are nowhere near let's say the Witcher 3. The storytelling isn't good, neither is the acting, or the dialog. The leveling in this game is virtually meaningless so the RPG elements almost don't exist outside of the skill tree which is also fairly basic. The armor variations are also bare because it's much more about modifications as most armors only have minor variances. The platforming is also quite limited as you are mostly forced to follow the bright yellow markers which is also basically automated since for most of the traversal you just have to press in a direction rather than press the x button. There is no risk or timing.

I'm hopeful for horizon 2 to tighten this stuff up, but I can see plenty of people not being crazy about this game. I am because for me the gameplay was a blast and it all feels very tight. I love the world they've built and the variety is excellent.

All in one. If you're playing natural doing all the sidequest and getting collectibles it's easy enough.

Yeah, I just played normally and got 92%. I don't really care about trophies so I won't do the last 8%, but for the people that do it should be an easy plat. The collectibles might be boring but there's a map that shows their location so it's just a "checklist" with the fast travel.

X-Frame

So what is some of the highest DPS in this game?

Right now in order for me to kill a target as quickly as possible, I am...

1) Doing whatever I can to get them on their side (e.g. vulnerable to Shock, Ropecaster)
2) Then I am applying Freeze until they're Frozen to debuff
3) Then I'll probably use a Tear weapon to get rid of some of their dangerous compartments and to expose vulnerable insides
4) Finally I am getting as close as possible and rapid-firing the Hardpoint Arrows at their weak points

Am I missing anything?

Elitist1945

are you completely out of supplies? If not you can beat a
deathbringer
with all types of ammo.

I have a
Hunters Bow
which doesn't do much damage, a
Sharpshooter Bow
which does a lot (but this is what I have no ammo or supplies for), a
Ropecaster
which does nothing, and
the thing that launches bombs which is super limited

Zackat

1) Doing whatever I can to get them on their side (e.g. vulnerable to Shock, Ropecaster)
3) Then I'll probably use a Tear weapon to get rid of some of their dangerous compartments and to expose vulnerable insides
4) Finally I am getting as close as possible and rapid-firing the Hardpoint Arrows at their weak points

Am I missing anything?

hitting the canisters with what they are weak to so they explode is the biggest dps increase. at least that I have found.
I have a
Hunters Bow
Sharpshooter Bow
Ropecaster
which does nothing, and
strategy for you to try
so the deathbringer will have to cool itself off, when it does it pops out these heated (orange) coils all over itself. target one and shoot it until it is destroyed and it will take chunks of damage.

The platforming is also quite limited as you are mostly forced to follow the bright yellow markers which is also basically automated since for most of the traversal you just have to press in a direction rather than press the x button. There is no risk or timing.

Thank god for that, if there's no risk or timing don't make me press the X button 50 times in a row like in the game from you avatar.

I love uncharted btw

The1Ski

Only now I saw the caldron you were on.
If you have the tearblast arrow use it to remove the ravager weapon and use it against him and the snapmaw. Try to paralyse the snapmaw with something (ice/thunder) so you can focus on the ravager. If you need place some traps on the arena before starting the fight.

Nice tip! Wish I had the tear blast arrows.

Lesson learned: take cauldrons seriously

Mercador

Just completed the first cauldron, wow! Does it worth it to buy blue Weapons or I should wait for purple ones? I just bought a silent blue armor to put my nice purple stealth gem.

Elitist1945

You don't even have ridge wood and metal parts for basic arrows?

Do you have ammo or parts to craft ammo for other stuff, like ropecaster, slings etc?

I have stuff for basic arrows, however those don't do much for the machine I'm facing. I need wires to craft the ammo I need and those are found in machines (but rarely I find) or at a merchant which I can't get to.

I have stuff for basic arrows, however those don't do much for the machine I'm facing. I need wires to craft the ammo I need and those are found in machines (but rarely I find) or at a merchant which I can't get to.

Just focus on the weakpoints with whatever you have.

Rope caster is great (if you have ammo) because it will tear the parts off.

X-Frame

hitting the canisters with what they are weak to so they explode is the biggest dps increase. at least that I have found.

Oh definitely. I always target those too first if they're exposed and not in a hard to reach place. Those are some of the most fun to explode!

I just realized recently though that a lot of that, at least for the higher-tier enemies have their canisters armored, so first the armor there needs to be destroyed and then you can target the canisters. Like Stormbirds and Snapmaws for example.

mokeyjoe

The side quests all have almost the exact same structure. I don't mind it because the combat is fun, but they're all extremely similar. Youre either "investigating" which leads to fighting robots, or just straight up confrontations. The investigations all are following trails which there's not any real investigating.

Don't get me wrong I love the game, but it's side quests are nowhere near let's say the Witcher 3. The storytelling isn't good, neither is the acting, or the dialog. The leveling in this game is virtually meaningless so the RPG elements almost don't exist outside of the skill tree which is also fairly basic. The armor variations are also bare because it's much more about modifications as most armors only have minor variances. The platforming is also quite limited as you are mostly forced to follow the bright yellow markers which is also basically automated since for most of the traversal you just have to press in a direction rather than press the x button. There is no risk or timing.

I'm hopeful for horizon 2 to tighten this stuff up, but I can see plenty of people not being crazy about this game. I am because for me the gameplay was a blast and it all feels very tight. I love the world they've built and the variety is excellent.

It's definititely very 'RPG-lite' - which is a good or bad thing depending on the persepctive. Personally, to me, it's an action game with some RPG trappings rather than an 'action-RPG' - if that makes sense. Success in the game is more about player skill than stats, and side quests are generally an excuse to go kill more things, or a bit of world-building, rather than being a compelling motivation in their own right. My feeling is that these are deliberate decisions rather than oversights,

Thank god for that, if there's no risk or timing don't make me press the X button 50 times in a row like in the game from you avatar.

I love uncharted btw

I've fallen off while traversing the rock edges a couple of times when not paying attention. So I think there's a difference between yellow ropes and white rock edges in traversal.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

I love uncharted btw

I'm completely cool with it, but I'm more speaking to the fact that the platforming is more of a chore than something exciting. God uc4s climbing was beyond dull.

Floody

do you have fire arrows? You could probably set it on fire and hit it's weak points after.

cheesekao

I have a
Hunters Bow
Sharpshooter Bow
Ropecaster
which does nothing, and
You should be able to take it down with regular arrows just by targeting its weakspots.

Just saying: your response is far more elaborate and better written than the review.

Am I missing anything?

To kill something as quickly as possible I just freeze them and use sticky grenades since they take much more damage while frozen. Might remove their weapons first with tearblast arrows depending on the enemy.

But I usually save this for the hardest enemies since the grenade resources are harder to get compared to the arrows.

I've fallen off while traversing the rock edges a couple of times when not paying attention. So I think there's a difference between yellow ropes and white rock edges in traversal.

Really? Never happened to me, Aloy just sticks to everything like glue.

I'm completely cool with it, but I'm more speaking to the fact that the platforming is more of a chore than something exciting. God uc4s climbing was beyond dull.

Yeah I agree that it's a chore. But at least it's faster this way, if you had to press X for every single jump it would've been much worse. Sometimes I got the impression that they actually sped up the climbing/jumping animations to make these sections faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom