• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shambala

Best feeling is overriding a bad ass machine n then start trouble with other machines.. feels so good man 🤣

Xeteh

I finally reach Meridian and
Ersa is dead? Seriously? I was pretty hyped up to see her because from npc chatter and text log you find, she sounds like a really badass character. I didn't even get to see what she looks like
that's a bummer

All the more reason to help get revenge!

PepperedHam

So, how's the story for this game, GAF? If you would rate it from zero to ten, how much would you give it?
For me personally it's pretty damn near perfect. It hits all of the notes I'd want a sci-fi story to hit. I was not expecting the game to do what it did with its world/lore. The story was the biggest surprise for me. I'm in love with it. I haven't felt this way about a new IP's world and story since the first time I played Mass Effect.

Weren't most of the sidequests in witcher 3 similar in terms of follow the trail but with worse combat? Its has been a while so I dont remember. Either way I'm impressed with the stories in some of the quests. Maybe Im less critical of writing.

As someone who stopped playing Witcher 3 the day before I bought this game, I find they're similar. W3 has it beat because there seems to be a back story to everyone Geralt encounters so that helps the narrative, but they seem to follow the same beats of investigation-revelation. I must say I got pretty annoyed with Geralt's He-man style moral grandstanding at the conclusion of every mission.

I've found the way Horizon spaces the missions out around the world better than W3, but I think that's because of the map size and having less side missions to divert you.

farmerboy

Started last night and 3 hrs disappeared just like that, which is a great sign. There's just something really compelling and I'm not quite sure what it is but I'm happy. Great game and it looks amazing.

Though on a 1080p screen I cant decide between supersampling or framerate + effects. Game must be clean cos I'm not seeing a cleaner display with supersampling on so I've stuck with framerate for now.

^ @Wollan - i think you should spoiler the thing about the thunderjaws - I didn't realise I could do that til I did and then it was like ahhh. such a discoverable moment.

CHC

Anyone know a good place to farm rats? There the only animal I've had trouble finding consistently. Need some rat bones.

I found a bunch along the rivers in the jungle area below Meridian. Use your focus to see them. There aren't ever like.... dozens in one place, but I got what I needed without too much trouble.

valkyre

The fact that you can create jobs for every single thing that you want to do is simply ingenious and i havent seen it in any other game (could be very well wrong though).

We need every rpg game to have this feature.

On a sidenote i just realized you can touch the touchpad to bring the hud up and check your quest tracker health everything. (I play with custom Hud with most things turned off and this is very convenient)

I am in love withthis game.

07WkmTS.gif

oh god.. OH GOD OH GOD

haha

TheFatMan

Finally finished all the Tallnecks, I swear to god some of them have so many enemies around them that your only hope is to run like a bitch until you can leap onto the Tallneck lol

I found a bunch along the rivers in the jungle area below Meridian. Use your focus to see them. There aren't ever like.... dozens in one place, but I got what I needed without too much trouble.

I've mostly been checking the forests around the Nora areas for animals. I'll check over there now, thanks.

Ulong

Is there a good guide online for finding all the training dummies to knock down that has both screenshots and location descriptions? It's the one achievement I'm missing to say I platinumed this wonderful game.

Defeated the Stormbird and it was probably the most intense and thrilling creature fight I've had. I also happened to be in the middle of a blizzard so it added to the spectacle.

Fighting a Thunderjaw was highly thrilling but if you manage to
grab its disc launcher then
you eat away its HP pretty fast. With a Stormbird you have to earn that takedown.
Rope it to the ground and start blasting off its dozen or so components, avoid bombing reign and that super scary dive
etc. Pulse was pumping throughout. I'm not surprised it's ranked higher in the creature dictionary.

Only one creature (that I know of) remains to be fought that being the Ro
ckbiter
though I haven't taken down that many Thumpers or Behemots yet.

It's always took me dozens of ropes to take a stormbird down. Just how many ropes is enough to pin it down? I ended up spamming it just to make sure that it'll stay down lol. And yeah, killing one is not a small feat, longer than killing a thunderjaw.

I must say this game has pretty good enemy diversity. I used to fear Scrappers, then I feared Sawtooths, but eventually I got used to those. Now I got to deal with Tramplers, Snapmaw, Glinthawks and god knows what the fuck else. I hate the giant enemy crab enemies though. I had some fun going through the Sigma Cauldron, wasn't expecting that to be a fully fleshed out area, was just expecting a couple of rooms or something. Fucking game is god damn huge.

melkier33

Anyone know a good place to farm rats? There the only animal I've had trouble finding consistently. Need some rat bones.

The dark scavenger box you can buy gives random animal parts. It might take a few boxes but it's easier the farming. (I'm pretty sure that's what it was called)

Wollan

It's always took me dozens of ropes to take a stormbird down. Just how many ropes is enough to pin it down?

I would say
4 or more and that's with the very rare Shadow Ropecaster which uses heavy rope.
It will show an icon that fills up as you apply more ropes.

Dany

Banned
I should get the war bow to replace the sharpshooter?

I have the hunter bow and rope caster. I don't use trip wires so maybe I'll get rid of that.

Radec

I must say this game has pretty good enemy diversity. I used to fear Scrappers, then I feared Sawtooths, but eventually I got used to those. Now I got to deal with Tramplers, Snapmaw, Glinthawks and god knows what the fuck else. I hate the giant enemy crab enemies though. I had some fun going through the Sigma Cauldron, wasn't expecting that to be a fully fleshed out area, was just expecting a couple of rooms or something. Fucking game is god damn huge.

Those that are still "?" on your enemy log.

They keep getting harder.

I find Stormbird the hardest so far. Thunderjaws are for farming if you know how to kill it easily.

I should get the war bow to replace the sharpshooter?

I have the hunter bow and rope caster. I don't use trip wires so maybe I'll get rid of that.

Use different bows on different sets of enemies. I keep them all modded and switch whenever which are useful against an enemy.

I must say this game has pretty good enemy diversity. I used to fear Scrappers, then I feared Sawtooths, but eventually I got used to those. Now I got to deal with Tramplers, Snapmaw, Glinthawks and god knows what the fuck else. I hate the giant enemy crab enemies though. padding that 26 number

I think it's okay diversity wise. I was disapointed to find out some later creatures
were pretty much just variants of the strider/watcher/bellowback/grazer. so basically everything you don't list

the enemies that you do list are great though, varied attacks and multiple points of weakness

here's hoping it won't take guerilla too much time to make more unique/non variant enemies for the sequel/dlc

shiba5

For me personally it's pretty damn near perfect. It hits all of the notes I'd want a sci-fi story to hit. I was not expecting the game to do what it did with its world/lore. The story was the biggest surprise for me. I'm in love with it. I haven't felt this way about a new IP's world and story since the first time I played Mass Effect.

This.
I absolutely loved the story.

shiba5

Those that are still "?" on your enemy log.

They keep getting harder.

I find Stormbird the hardest so far. Thunderjaws are for farming if you know how to kill it easily.

There's something even worse than the Stormbird. I blundered into its area and it was SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER!

Guys, is the Custom HUD inconsistent for anyone else? Sometimes the icons in the hud I selected to be always off (xp bar, compass, stealth sign) simply show up no matter what.

The side quests all have almost the exact same structure. I don't mind it because the combat is fun, but they're all extremely similar. Youre either "investigating" which leads to fighting robots, or just straight up confrontations. The investigations all are following trails which there's not any real investigating.

Don't get me wrong I love the game, but it's side quests are nowhere near let's say the Witcher 3. The storytelling isn't good, neither is the acting, or the dialog. The leveling in this game is virtually meaningless so the RPG elements almost don't exist outside of the skill tree which is also fairly basic. The armor variations are also bare because it's much more about modifications as most armors only have minor variances. The platforming is also quite limited as you are mostly forced to follow the bright yellow markers which is also basically automated since for most of the traversal you just have to press in a direction rather than press the x button. There is no risk or timing.

I'm hopeful for horizon 2 to tighten this stuff up, but I can see plenty of people not being crazy about this game. I am because for me the gameplay was a blast and it all feels very tight. I love the world they've built and the variety is excellent.

You're saying TW3 quests were more mechanically interesting? All you did was either go somewhere and fight something or use Witcher sense. I think you meant to say the side quests are better written than Horizon, which I agree with. It's unfair to
Compare both games though cause they're going for different things. Overall Horizon is a more balanced game where it's weaknesses are not enough to detract me from enjohment whereas the poor controls of TW3 never really allowed
Me to enjoy the gameplay. The writing was so strong though. Can't believe I put up with 90hrs of those uncomfortable controls

Did come across some bandits fighting a Bellowback and some Watchers. Maybe it was scripted because they had a load of stuff just lying around. Killed the Elite Bandit with the heavy weapon. First time using it. Shame you can't keep it. Sends small bots flying.

Ulong

Speaking of how cool enemies are, can I take a moment to mention how super underwhelming the final machine type introduced was? Especially when you compare it the rest of the enemies. I'm just going to do a big spoiler wall rather than pick and choose words, I talk about the end of the game too:

I understood completely why the deathbringer LOOKED so boring, narratively it was a massive weapon of war, there was no need for it to be anything other than a walking pile of guns. But as far as actually fighting them, they are so disappointing. The way it stands there shooting at you is super underwhelming after the exciting frantic fights against other enemies throughout the game, including the other Large machines. That final boss fight against the corrupted deathbringer was a real low point of the game for me. I literally circled around it hopping up and down and shooting arrows into it for a couple minutes, doing nothing else to have to evade his attacks.

I don't want to sound like I'm down on the game with all that, because I love this game and most of the enemy variety too. I just felt a need to complain about this one part of the game.

I think it's okay diversity wise. I was disapointed to find out some later creatures
were pretty much just variants of the strider/watcher/bellowback/grazer. so basically everything you don't list

the enemies that you do list are great though, varied attacks and multiple points of weakness

here's hoping it won't take guerilla too much time to make more unique/non variant enemies for the sequel/dlc
Now the grazers I'm not too bothered by since I just stealth them usually. I like the sawtooths since I can now hack them and usually just fire bomb their blaze sack from a far if I can. Long Legs are a bit interesting, they have pretty cool sound design with their screeches...somebody on that dev team must like Cassowaries or something. If need be I'll hack a watcher and just let it kill something or die trying. I do like the multiple ways you can tackle certain situations.

Haha these two bickering npcs in meridian. I wish I didn't turn in the quest sooner to see all their dialogue options. Also some are the quests getting deeper now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom