• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbkdx12

I just found that and hadn't fought a Rockbreaker before. I'm getting my ass kicked despite being overleveled, damn things just spend 90% of the time underground.

They can't leave their corrupted zone. I cheesed it by standing on the edge of it and hiding out by some rocks.

gow3isben

So what are other people's toughest machines they fought?

For me I had the most difficulty with

1. Rockbreakers
2. Behemoths
3. Thunderjaws.

Haven't fought the stormbird yet and the deathbringer was kind of weak tbh.

Zakalwe

Banned

1. Rockbreakers
2. Behemoths
3. Thunderjaws.

A few Stormbirds going nuts is the hardest by far, imo.

Rockbreakers are really easy imo as you just sit back and dodge their rocks, freeze them, and chip away until they die. If you get close they're horrid.

shiba5

1. Rockbreakers
2. Behemoths
3. Thunderjaws.

Two corrupted Rockbreakers and a very nasty Stormbird that was worse than all the others I fought.

cheesekao

I just found that and hadn't fought a Rockbreaker before. I'm getting my ass kicked despite being overleveled, damn things just spend 90% of the time underground.
Use tearblast arrows to destroy their legs. Once you break all 4 of them they can't dig anymore.

Zakalwe

Banned

Get distance until they start doing their rock barrage attack.

Freeze them (they're very weak to it). Tearblast their armour.

Take them whenever they surface.

Easy.

If you get close enough for them to use other attacks they're horrible.

silva1991

1. Rockbreakers
2. Behemoths
3. Thunderjaws.

Stormbird and rockbreakers so far

Though it's hard to say for sure how tough rockbreakers are since they are always in pairs from what I played.

Behemoth did one shot me yesterday with that gravity move.

Fjordson

Oh man, the I love the collectibles in this. It sounds weird, but they're kinda scratching that Fallout itch with the hints of lore about the old world.

It's one of the things I really like about post-apocalyptic settings. Layers slowly being peeled back.

Putty

Hammered this over the weekend....over 50hrs now and still at just over 20% done 8)...My game of the generation, just ahead of U4...

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Hammered this over the weekend....over 50hrs now and still at just over 20% done 8)...My game of the generation, just ahead of U4...

Huh? I'm six hours in and 9% done. I couldn't imagine going any slower. Lol

They can't leave their corrupted zone. I cheesed it by standing on the edge of it and hiding out by some rocks.

I found out that every machine, not only the corrupted ones, has their own 'zone'. There's a limit on how far they'll chase you out. When they hit their wall, they'll just stand there or go back and forth looking at you. I think it's an oversight from the devs, as it's prone to cheesing. They should've made the machines go back to their initial spot/route, which is quite far from their zone wall.

50 hours and only 20% completion? Wow, I thought my pace was considered slow.

rec0ded1

So many hours and just barely got to meridia. I can't help just wandering and hunting for hours. Corrupting bots and watching them fight while giggling from a bush is hilarious need some fan art of that.

Zakalwe

Banned
I found out that every machine, not only the corrupted ones, has their own 'zone'. There's a limit on how far they'll chase you out. When they hit their wall, they'll just stand there or go back and forth looking at you. I think it's an oversight from the devs, as it's prone to cheesing. They should've made the machines go back to their initial spot/route, which is quite far from their zone wall.

That's not story completion though, right? If it's "everything possible checked off" then that seems pretty standard, especially considering how much of the game time will be made up of play not actively chasing that %.

Where do you guys see your time and completion rate? I checked the notebook earlier.

On the notebook there's a sub menu for displaying completion rate.

That's not story completion though, right? If it's "everything possible checked off" then that seems pretty standard, especially considering how much of the game time will be made up of play not actively chasing that %.

Yes, it's not. And it's even more weird. I've put around 40 hours in the game and I have almost 50% completion rate. It's like he's been idling a lot.

Putty

I just like to wander...see what i find 8). I'd imagine though a number of hours we're probably due to me going in the menu's when going for tea, doing a bit of work etc etc...

Shambala

1. Rockbreakers
2. Behemoths
3. Thunderjaws.

Ropecaster bro. Makes it real easy lol

Just got the platinum. Pretty easy for this game. Especially after getting the cheese armor. The hardest part was maybe repeating a few of the challenges to get all blazing suns.

Fighting several glinthawks while walking on a narrow ledge. Ugh

The UI in this game is really bad. There are basic features that just aren't there. I'm trying to sell modifications and I have no idea which ones are equipped and which ones aren't. Am I missing something here?

Equipped mods don't show up in the merchant menu.

Does the create a job function not work? I have the quest active, but it doesn't show me where I should go.

I think it just behaves as a "reminder" tool.

The UI in this game is really bad. There are basic features that just aren't there. I'm trying to sell modifications and I have no idea which ones are equipped and which ones aren't. Am I missing something here?

I just like to wander...see what i find 8). I'd imagine though a number of hours we're probably due to me going in the menu's when going for tea, doing a bit of work etc etc...

Oh and yes, ive almost maxed out my gear...just got a few more to do....

Ah, I see. So, I take it that you grind in certain spots a lot to maximize your gear?

I'm mostly exploring and finding stuff while fighting the machines that got in my way. I guess that explains it.

HMD

How do you beat the stealth Hunting Ground? I tried doing the trials but the stealth kill watcher trial and the crab loot trial are impossible in the time they give you T_T

Any tips?

Putty

Ah, I see. So, I take it that you grind in certain spots a lot to maximize your gear?

I'm mostly exploring and finding stuff while fighting the machines that got in my way. I guess that explains it.

Oh god no, im not actively looking to build my gear, it just happens naturally as im wandering ....I'd hate grind in one spot....The world is simply astonishing and i want to appreciate it as much as i can before i finish it. What im happy about is that the whole other side of the map, the bigger part of it....i've still not ventured to 8)

silva1991

Ropecaster
bro. Makes it real easy lol

Ugh I wish you didn't say that. Was gonna keep them for last for challenge, but UI guess I know their weakness now :/

I don't think game gives the option to sell the equipped ones.

acidagfc

Equipped mods don't show up in Sell screen.
The UI needs some improvement though. Like sorting, autosell junk etc. Witcher 3 had horrible trading UI in the beginning, I hope this game will also improve over time.

How do you beat the stealth Hunting Ground? I tried doing the trials but the stealth kill watcher trial and the crab loot trial are impossible in the time they give you T_T

Any tips?

For the crab loot, sneak down to the right side. Hide in the bushes and throw rocks away from the loot. The stalker and crabs will look away, allowing you loot three of the boxes. Once you have those three, go run to the last box and forget about being sneaky.

For the kill watchers, use the middle rope entrance and hide in the bushes near the busy intersection and use the whistle skill. All four should walk by, allowing you to holler at them and go for silent kill.

1. Rockbreakers
2. Behemoths
3. Thunderjaws.

This is what fighting Rockbreakers looks like.
traffic_jumper.gif

I made my way into the mid section of the map (Yeah, I'm making slow progress but I'm taking the world in. I'm level 27 too lol) and just when I thought I was wowed, I'm blown away again. This area is breathtaking. And the difficulty definitely increased, but the machine design also improved. The Stormbird has been my nemesis so far as I'm 0-2 against it. Tough bastard.

Exploring the area some more and I see a Thunderjaw WAY out in the distance. Those things must be terrifyingly huge up close.

Shambala

Ugh I wish you didn't say that. Was gonna keep them for last for challenge, but UI guess I know their weakness now :/

I don't think game gives the option to sell the equipped ones.
Nah don't think that works alone 😂😂. It just helps. But it doesn't
do damage

HMD

For the crab loot, sneak down to the right side. Hide in the bushes and throw rocks away from the loot. The stalker and crabs will look away, allowing you loot three of the boxes. Once you have those three, go run to the last box and forget about being sneaky.

For the kill watchers, use the middle rope entrance and hide in the bushes near the busy intersection and use the whistle skill. All four should walk by, allowing you to holler at them and go for silent kill.

Woah thank you, I had no idea the enemies weren't carrying their loot. And I totally forgot about whistling. Thanks.

rec0ded1

I made my way into the mid section of the map (Yeah, I'm making slow progress but I'm taking the world in. I'm level 27 too lol) and just when I thought I was wowed, I'm blown away again. This area is breathtaking. And the difficulty definitely increased, but the machine design also improved. The Stormbird has been my nemesis so far as I'm 0-2 against it. Tough bastard.

I think that's the one I had on the ropes then two long legs ran in and took me out lol.

Gradly

1. Rockbreakers
2. Behemoths
3. Thunderjaws.

So far Stormbird because I'm not that good at aiming and I ran out of wires during the fight so had no access to tear arrows and ropecaster haha.

And I was afraid to fight a Thunderjaw but turned out it was the easiest kill and I followed this strategy:

Tearblast the Disc Launcher from afar > tie it with a ropecaster > freeze it (and I used the sling) > then grab the Disc launcher and kill it

Where do I find freeze bellowbacks? Also someone should create a list on where to find fish skins, rabbit skins, fish bones and all that

The Valleymeet Hunting Grouds (the second hunting lodge) has both the fire and ice bellowbacks just outside for its trial missions.

The forest southwest of the map has a good amount of animals if you need them. But you can find them everywhere, really. The stream/river nearby the very first tallneck you encounter should have plenty of fish.

mokeyjoe

A few Stormbirds going nuts is the hardest by far, imo.

Rockbreakers are really easy imo as you just sit back and dodge their rocks, freeze them, and chip away until they die. If you get close they're horrid.

Yeah. Every Rockbreaker I've killed has been by hiding behind a boulder at a distance.

Equipped mods don't show up in Sell screen.
The UI needs some improvement though. Like sorting, autosell junk etc. Witcher 3 had horrible trading UI in the beginning, I hope this game will also improve over time.

There's a lot they can improve. Like when I'm in my weapon screen, I can't just add mods to the weapon. I have to go into the crafting screen and select the mods menu. It's just very cumbersome and poorly designed. I also don't really like the look of it either.

Also good to know equipped items don't show up in the sell screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom