• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Can the spear be upgraded? I haven't noticed anything aside from that particular story-based upgrade early on.

nOoblet16

I'd pay £10 for a DLC storage box at Rost's house

Do tearblast arrows remain as overpowered as they are for me now, just leaving
Meridian
?

Also, are all purple mods of roughly equal quality, or do you get better stuff from tougher enemies/quest reward boxes? Think there's room for legendary mods tbh. You start getting purple stuff so early in the game, it doesn't really feel like the top tier of gear. Would be cool if there were weapons locked in dungeons
like that armour I can't wait to unlock, even though it may well be shit
Regarding first question, yes they remain powerful but you require more arrows for larger enemies and some energy.ies have a lot more parts...Plus taking down those parts doesn't cause explosion meaning you have to still do some damage with other arrows.

About that spoiler, you are way off.

HowZatOZ

Banned
All I know is that there are like 3 speeds and you only need to press X once for each level just like changing a gear in a car. You press O to slow down to slower speed, and hold it down to fully stop
You are correct, my thumb thanks you! One other question, how OP is the pre-order gear? I only just replaced the chest piece but it was really only because I chose the Nora Survivor Heavy for resistances. It still seems like such a great piece. Same with the bow.

Apt101

How hard are those big T-rex looking things to take down at level 20? And is there a shadow mighty bow? I am holding onto two bomb-ass modifications until I find one.

silva1991

I find it amusing to shoot glinthhawk with fire to knock it down and then use ropecaster on them while it's on the ground so that it can barly fly and i can just melee it to death.

Serves them right those assholes.

ferunnico

Neo Member
Wait, I thought tearblast arrows aren't supposed to do damage. How did I just kill a low-level Grazer with one? My Sharpshot Bow does have a damage coil in it, but judging from the menus that just affects precision arrows. Tearblast arrows are still shown as doing 0 damage.

MaKTaiL

Wait, I thought tearblast arrows aren't supposed to do damage. How did I just kill a low-level Grazer with one? My Sharpshot Bow does have a damage coil in it, but judging from the menus that just affects precision arrows. Tearblast arrows are still shown as doing 0 damage.
Grazers life support come from those cannisters you just removed. Of course they would die. :)

WITHE1982

Anyone looking to kill large dinos with ease and not even being detected, I made a video.

This is for the 2 Behemoths north west corner of the map. Strategy works for any spawn with multiple dinos, even Thunderjaws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkZMCbCcEbE

cool.

I was wondering what
corruption arrows
would do. So it's kinda like remote override? Also is that the
shadow war bow?
It's the one weapon I've yet to buy and I think it'll be my next purchase.

ferunnico

Neo Member
Grazers life support come from those cannisters you just removed. Of course they would die. :)

I see. So is that how it works with all enemies that have canisters? I just tried it with a Strider and shooting the canister off with a tearblast arrow halved its HP. I thought canisters were just weakpoints or for triggering explosions. I didn't realize that's were they store their HP.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I focused my skill tree on getting Tinker first thing. I just couldn't enjoy the modifications without being able to swap them out.

Also, I really appreciate that over levelling isn't a problem in this game and most progression is determined by gear, which is very carefully gated. As in every open world game I play, I outpaced the recommended level for quests almost immediately, but machines still absolutely destroy me if I'm not careful.

I can't stop thinking about battle strategies when I'm trying to work. It's no Monster Hunter, but the fact it's even comparable with all the other elements they've done so well is remarkable. It's one of the least compromised games I've ever played. Outside of human combat, nothing feels like it's been compromised as a result of the scale.

cool.

I was wondering what
corruption arrows
would do. So it's kinda like remote override? Also is that the
shadow war bow?
It's the one weapon I've yet to buy and I think it'll be my next purchase.

Yup, fully modded with 3 purple corruption mods.

1 arrow is enough to corrupt most dinos except the 4 biggest ones, who need 2.

Found on Reddit... Aloy's eyes reflect what she's seeing. Can anyone else verify?

09lpqFi.jpg

I think we shogoun check this too: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=231557500&postcount=19

WITHE1982

Yup, fully modded with 3 purple corruption mods.

1 arrow is enough to corrupt most dinos except the 4 biggest ones, who need 2.

Excellent. Luckily I have the
triple shot
skill unlocked so one shot should do it. Time to start some dino carnage.

Soooo, had my first encounter with a Thunderjaw yesterday.
Yeah, i didn't win but was impressed nonetheless.

It's definately one of those "holy shit!" moments in gaming the first time you see a thunderjaw looming over the horizon (
sorry
). Although once you understand how to beat them (
remove disc launchers and wreck them with their own guns
) they become a bit trivial which is a shame.

Gradly

You are correct, my thumb thanks you! One other question, how OP is the pre-order gear? I only just replaced the chest piece but it was really only because I chose the Nora Survivor Heavy for resistances. It still seems like such a great piece. Same with the bow.

I think they are fine, but I like to farm and level up way early before I continue the story quest, and by the time I got hang of the game and understood how things really work I was using the best gear in the game already, which are the shadow weapons. Regarding outfits, its just a preference I didn't like the ones that come with the pre-order and already bought the best one (and pretty) from the available ones.

I know I didn't answer your question lol but its all about stats and mods you can use on gear, just compare them to know which better

DigSCCP

I have a question about the customizable HUD :
- Is it posible to take off the quest marker on the screen ? I mean keep it on the compass but not on the central screen.

Gradly

I focused my skill tree on getting Tinker first thing. I just couldn't enjoy the modifications without being able to swap them out.

Also, I really appreciate that over levelling isn't a problem in this game and most progression is determined by gear, which is very carefully gated. As in every open world game I play, I outpaced the recommended level for quests almost immediately, but machines still absolutely destroy me if I'm not careful.

I can't stop thinking about battle strategies when I'm trying to work. It's no Monster Hunter, but the fact it's even comparable with all the other elements they've done so well is remarkable. It's one of the least compromised games I've ever played. Outside of human combat, nothing feels like it's been compromised as a result of the scale.

The amount of work and details on the machines is outstanding, I saw 2 behemoths fighting each other and I enjoyed seeing the container attached to their stomach get ripped, just have a look at how the yellow cover reacts to their special attacks yet survived the battle and the container itself can be seen destroyed on the ground the video from 22 to 50 seconds mark here:

https://youtu.be/cpBR-GTkVyg?t=22s

This is the first game I see with parts that are removable like that

CHC

I see. So is that how it works with all enemies that have canisters? I just tried it with a Strider and shooting the canister off with a tearblast arrow halved its HP. I thought canisters were just weakpoints or for triggering explosions. I didn't realize that's were they store their HP.

With most of the robots, destroying or removing certain parts does damage to the main body. Most of the later robots, though, can't be killed only with this damage - at some point you'll have to do damage to the body directly.

MaKTaiL

Only Grazers rely their HP mostly from the canisters. Other enemies won't die if you remove them, but they will be damaged. Also, it's much more fun to just explode them instead :)

With regards to the corrupter, how do you corrupt more robots other than the watcher and strider? I'm trying to corrupt the sawtooth and gazers, but I said I need to learn more about robots or something.

Also, is the spear the only melee weapon in the game?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Need some game play assistance guys.

- Are there any more side quests or ways to power up the Spear some more ? I did the one side quest near the start of the game and have done some Cauldrons, but Cauldrons only add override abilities, nothing about powering up the spear.

- Can y'all share some general tips for fighting Thunder Jaws and Behemoth (?) class robots. I killed a Thunder Jaw last night, fight wasn't THAT bad but I feel like there's a better way. I mostly just cheesed it with ropecasters and a lot of dodge rolling and heavy attacks. It doesn't seem to want to stay down for more than a second once it goes down via the ropecaster.

Similarly, the toughest fight I've had is a level 34 (?) corrupted zone which had 2 corrupted Behemoth's and a bunch of smaller one's. I practically cheesed the behemoth's with fire arrows after taking care of the smaller enemies.

WITHE1982

With regards to the corrupter, how do you corrupt more robots other than the watcher and strider? I'm trying to corrupt the sawtooth and gazers, but I said I need to learn more about robots or something.

Completing cauldrons
gives you the ability to override more robots,

- Can y'all share some general tips for fighting Thunder Jaws and Behemoth (?) class robots. I killed a Thunder Jaw last night, fight wasn't THAT bad but I feel like there's a better way. I mostly just cheesed it with ropecasters and a lot of dodge rolling and heavy attacks. It doesn't seem to want to stay down for more than a second once it goes down via the ropecaster.

Thunderjaws are easy if you just
target the 2 disc launchers with tear arrows to remove them. Then just grab the guns when they drop and use them to completely wreck it.
The fight can be over in 2 minutes even on hard difficulty.

MaKTaiL

- Are there any more side quests or ways to power up the Spear some more ? I did the one side quest near the start of the game and have done some Cauldrons, but Cauldrons only add override abilities, nothing about powering up the spear.

Similarly, the toughest fight I've had is a level 34 (?) corrupted zone which had 2 corrupted Behemoth's and a bunch of smaller one's. I practically cheesed the behemoth's with fire arrows after taking care of the smaller enemies.
First: any damage you do while he is tied down will decrease the time he spends locked up like that, that's why you don't see it lasting long.

Second: Thunderjaws can be easily cheesed by taking out their guns and using it against them. It really wrecks them.

Ricker

You have to do a Cauldron and yes

adamsapple

Completing cauldrons

target the 2 disc launchers with tear arrows to remove them. Then just grab the guns when they drop and use them to completely wreck it.

First: any damage you do while he is tied down will decrease the time he spends locked up like that, that's why you don't see it lasting long.

Second: Thunderjaws can be easily cheesed by taking out their guns and using it against them. It really wrecks them.

Thanks for the tips guys, their guns sure do a shit ton of damage to Aloy, would be nice to turn the tables.

Completing cauldrons

cauldrons? I might be too early in the game to find one

Also, is there a map legend in the game? I climbed up a
tallneck
that reveled a lot more new icons on the map, but some of the icons are new and I have no idea what they are.

adamsapple

tallneck
that reveled a lot more new icons on the map, but some of the icons are new and I have no idea what they are.

Unfortunately there's no map legend, once you get those icons, they stay there. Not a spoiler but you can buy maps later to populate the world map more and all those distracting icons will remain there, there's no way to filter it out unfortunately.

I hope this is patched.

This and the game DESPERATELY needs some kind of storage shed/box for throwing all those extra things away without having to sell them. Another thing I hope they patch in soon.

MaKTaiL

I hope GG releases some kind of roadmap with plans for updates (Quality of Life improvements) and possible DLCs. Hitman and FFXV did an amazing job at that.

Apt101

I hope GG releases some kind of roadmap with plans for updates (Quality of Life improvements) and possible DLCs. Hitman and FFXV did an amazing job at that.

This world they built, this massive map, they could probably keep the studio afloat for a few years just with DLC. SOmething tells me this game is going to sell at least 8 million.

Do you guys follow enemy tracks? When I hit R1 it does nothing. It works on quests but I no longer see enemy tracks in my last 15 hours of playing.

zkorejo

I agree with the game needing a storage stash boxes. It can be very easily implemented with a storage box available beside every campfire, with all the contents you place in it being shared with the rest.

Unfortunately there's no map legend, once you get those icons, they stay there. Not a spoiler but you can buy maps later to populate the world map more and all those distracting icons will remain there, there's no way to filter it out unfortunately.

I hope this is patched.

This and the game DESPERATELY needs some kind of storage shed/box for throwing all those extra things away without having to sell them. Another thing I hope they patch in soon.
Add ability to toggle helmet on/off and ability to do multiple tutorial quests at the same time. At the moment you can only complete ONE tutorial quest at one time

Mupod

Do you guys follow enemy tracks? When I hit R1 it does nothing. It works on quests but I no longer see enemy tracks in my last 15 hours of playing.

it's only worked for me once or twice. I figured I was doing something wrong, like maybe you need to watch them for a while. Either way I barely do the stealth thing anymore because I'm a murder machine.

Difficulty Settings.
Looking for a quick clarification. Playing on Hard but sometimes I want to just explorer and was thinking abouy just dropping the difficulty down to easy so i dont have to deal with packs of robots. Then toggle back up to Hard when im done.

Anything negative come from playing on easy? I dont see any trophies tied to it. Also..what does it do? Decrease enemy attack and health?

You have to be in range to see their tracks

Conversation between Aloy, Lorund and the other guy was hilarious.
Was that the two idiots that wanted two different lenses? Yeah they were pretty funny.

Wished that i didn't hastily turned in the quest though, wanted to see all their dialogue options

Kalentan

Holy shit. I ended last night with 40 hours played. I don't think I've played any game in a while that has made me play so much in such a short amount of time.

Also for those who have 100% the game, how many side quests did it say you have done?
I've done
about to do another.

WITHE1982

Cauldrons are the Horizon version of Tombs in Tomb raider. They're small dungeons with a boss fight at the end. Completing them upgrades the amount of dinos you can override.

The ability to override Phi-tier machines (watchers etc...) doesn't require you to complete any Cauldrons. You simply need to complete the quest
Womb of the Mountain.

After that you'll need to start heading to other Cauldrons. The first of these,
Sigma, is marked on your map after talking to a lady called Dral in Mother's crown, and the quest Cauldron Sigma is also started, too.

tallneck

There's no legend or ability to disable/enable certain map markers. A bit of an oversight in an open-world game IMO. Hopefully something that'll be rectified via a future patch.

Holy shit. I ended last night with 40 hours played. I don't think I've played any game in a while that has made me play so much in such a short amount of time.

Lol. I'm 30 hours in (level 38) and haven't even made it to Meridian yet. I'm taking my sweet ass time exploring everything so far.

I hope this is patched.

There's no storage box? I have alot of resources and don't want to give anything up yet and I assumed there was some form of storage system :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom