• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
No, it's the only way in.
It's more difficult to get in because it's heavily guarded

Yeah, getting in was a tough battle, though that's from going right up to it from the "front"

Something like 3 stalkers, where 1 ran off while I was fighting the other 2.

He ran off, and grabbed 2 longnecks (the fucking ostriches) and a Behemoth.

That whole battle had to have taken 10-15 minutes.

Mifune

Mehmber
I feel like the story really slowed down after The Proving. Then I was on my way to the big city (Meridia), all excited to get some story scraps, and all I got was a short story mission (to be continued very far away) and about a half dozen errands and side quests. My resolve to tackle everything before moving on to the story missions is crumbling.

Lost in conversation

unknown.png

Nil.....

RIP. You made me do it. But at least you died with your boots on

BeeDog

I feel like the story really slowed down after The Proving. Then I was on my way to the big city (Meridia), all excited to get some story scraps, and all I got was a short story mission (to be continued very far away) and about a half dozen errands and side quests. My resolve to tackle everything before moving on to the story missions is crumbling.

Agreed, but I guess it's mainly because Meridian is so far off the starting areas and is like a mini-journey in itself. But by all accounts the story is supposed to pick up big time soon, which bodes really well.

Disclaimer: I pretty much just arrived in Meridian and did one of the side-quests, no real main missions yet.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I take it theres no way to know what side quests there are unless / until you randomly bump into them correct?

I found
some lady who wanted me to find her not-quite-right brother,
and also a
injured dude who wanted me to save his daughter and then retrieve his spear
. I also did the
beads for the elder lady
but that wasnt qualified as a sidequest. Not sure if I missed anything else before I head off to do this
proving
thing.

I feel like the side stuff is mostly quite good and worth doing. It adds context to the world and i understand that main mission NPCs will potentially comment on things you've done in side story stuff.

Gamespot just uploaded a video about Aloy being a great character:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzGRmi1kXo8

Now, I know people always say we shouldn't look at the comments, but I don't think ignoring is fixing the problem either.

A few comments:

Tyler Aikensvor 2 Stunden
Okay this might be hoe shit but literally everyone at GameSpot who participated in making this video needs to actually kill themselves for thinking of such dumb shit

Matthew Evansvor 2 Stunden
Would you have made this video if Aloy was a male protagonist? 🤔

Haz Qazvor 1 Stunde
so an insecure tom boy that thinks being sarcastic is clever is en exceptionally well written character? maybe for insecure women she is relatable, but for the majority of men who will be playing this game shes a weak unrelatable damaged lesbianic try hard

Mr Objectionvor 1 Stunde
feminazist opinion, great.....

Tyler Aikensvor 59 Minuten
feminism is cancer

James Mercervor 11 Minuten
Came here just to dislike.fuck this and fuck you

I hate the gaming community...

Gaz_RB

FTFY

=P

I haven't actually played Zelda, but I've heard about it from almost all the reviewers I follow

That's why I saved Horizon for Sunday. Playing Zelda with it's iffy framerate wasn't bad as long as I played it first and got used to it haha. Definitely wouldn't want to go from Horizon>Zelda.

Mifune

Mehmber
Agreed, but I guess it's mainly because Meridian is so far off the starting areas and is like a mini-journey in itself. But by all accounts the story is supposed to pick up big time soon, which bodes really well.

Disclaimer: I pretty much just arrived in Meridian and did one of the side-quests, no real main missions yet.

Yeah, when I think about it this "slowing down" is a direct result of that huge distance to travel as well as the way I've been playing - clearing out shit, doing a cauldron, general hunting, Tallnecks, etc. I'm just anxious to see these story developments that everyone is raving about and the next story mission is so far away once again.

i advise everyone to prioritise "tinker" skill. being able to change mods made encounters a lot easier for me

Yeah that skill is necessary. I wasn't using any of the purple mods early on cause I didn't know what I wanted and didn't want to waste them. That skill makes it possible to try things out

aristotle

Is there seriously no map to be found online for the all of the text datapoints? Some of these really give insight into the world. I found the one called The "Gift" which gives some juicy detail in a throwaway sentence. They are way to easy to miss since they're so small and hardly show up even in focus mode. I didn't find one for several hours once I got to the desert area and I know there have to be quite a few I've missed.

It's frustrating to want to know more of the backstory/history and flesh everything out when it's seemingly impossible right now.

gow3isben

Now, I know people always say we shouldn't look at the comments, but I don't think ignoring is fixing the problem either.

A few comments:

Even as someone who prefers to play as a male that is just sad. She's a decent character and hopefully a good role model for young girls AND boys.

A few comments:

Most of those people probably haven't even played the game. I remember in the review thread someone posted a link to some Reddit comments about the game and people were claiming all males in the game are idiots and that's obviously not even remotely true. It's best just to ignore that bullshit and not let it get to you

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming

The story definitely keeps moving at a suitable and brisk pace. There are a number of other missions that also progress the story whether it be what's happening now or what happened in the past.

Mossybrew

Goddamn, just did the Quarry mission. That fight (and robot) is TENSE.

Oh god, I was not expecting anything like that and went in there with almost no bonus health. Died a few times and started getting frustrated, then had to cool down and start thinking about how to use the environment to my advantage. Ultimately I found kind of a 'cheese' spot but it still felt good taking that bastard down.

Lol you can actually hear Aloy's voice echo when she talks in certain narrow places, mind-blown

I just noticed this yesterday! I was waaaaayyyyy up high on one of the snowy mountains, and when she said her normal chatter stuff to herself, you could hear it echo off the mountain. Really, really cool touch.

I finished my first (and only so far) cauldron last weekend. It was a cool change of pace and I was not prepared weapon/trap/potion-wise for the last part, the
boss fight

I've been playing on hard since the beginning so I died a few times at this part, but I kept at it. Trying different combinations of gear and mods and crafting different ammo and traps while also dodging and attacking was exhilarating. That feeling when it all clicks and you finally beat a tough section is a big part of why I play games.

zkorejo

I wish the weapons were categorized like GTA where you bring up the weapon wheel and can change the weapons by pressing directional keys. Like all equipped the bows (hunter/war/sharpshot) at the top, all slings on the left, all ropecasters and tripcasters on right and rattler/other weapons below.

Once you select your weapon, then you can select your arrow type. It would have been a bit clustered but better than having to open menu and equip the required weapons.

Mifune

Mehmber
The story definitely keeps moving at a suitable and brisk pace. There are a number of other missions that also progress the story whether it be what's happening now or what happened in the past.

This is great to hear. I'm just so distracted by all the side activities (in a good way, mind you).

Neonep

2 questions for everybody..

1. What is the outfit you are using and what in your opinion is the best outfit?
2. What is your weapon layout and what weapon is the best in your opinion?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Guys, I'm far, far north after have climbed for what feels to be 15 minutes. There is an icon on the map and I'm at a dead end on the mountains, what do?

Cyberpunk 2077 will likely be closer to a futuristic detective novel ala Bladerunner with mostly humanoid encounters. Horizon leans more towards Monster Hunter side of things in the style of Avatar.

Cyberpunk should be solid combat-wise. The lead combat designer came over from Remedy. (Max Payne/Alan Wake/Quantum Break)

Agent

I just got an email from Sony with the subject "Congrats on completing Horizon Zero Dawn". I finished off the main story yesterday. Kind of creepy to get an email about it a day later lol.

dDd51XQ.jpg

zkorejo

Guys, I'm far, far north after have climbed for what feels to be 15 minutes. There is an icon on the map and I'm at a dead end on the mountains, what do?

Are you at the Grave-Hoard? If you're you cant get in until the story takes you there.

I still haven't gotten to him, yet. Think I may have screwed something up to now I have to wait until I clear all the Bandit Camps.

Yeah I haven't seen Nil after that first Bandit Camp and I have cleared 3-4 after that and still have not seen him.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Are you at the Grave-Hoard? If you're you cant get in until the story takes you there.

Yeah I haven't seen Nil after that first Bandit Camp and I have cleared 3-4 after that and still have not seen him.
Only map picture, no spoilers

https://m.imgur.com/a/wmUvQ

Ken Adams

I know its a small thing but im so happy they fixed the hologram thing on the ear. The tiny circle only showed up in the ruins when u were a child but now i can see it everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom