• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Yeah I just rolled over the human fighting sections. I think I have a really high headshot rate.

I wonder if having a more robust melee system would lead to better human combat. Especially in bunkers and the like with little rooms and corridors.

LOL.. well.. they kind of make it easy to get headshots when they keep walking up to find fallen comrades all the time.

Falchion

A good soundset adds 50 points to immersion

I use the PlayStation Gold Series with Uncharted 4 Audio Mode, can't believe there's no audio mode for Horizon but Uncharted works awesome qualitywise.
Don't use it all the time though, mostly at night.

I do. I use Philips Fidelio X2's and they're spectacular with this game. The explosions to the dino-growls to ambient music, all sounds wonderful.

Ok nice, I'm definitely going to try it out and probably jump out of my skin when a machine I didn't see roars right behind me.

X-Frame

Yeah I just rolled over the human fighting sections. I think I have a really high headshot rate.

I wonder if having a more robust melee system would lead to better human combat. Especially in bunkers and the like with little rooms and corridors.

To me it's relatively simple to stealth kill everyone in a human compound. You can Stealth Strike kill someone 5 feet from another enemy and they won't be alerted -- it's a bit ridiculous.

With high Stealth armor on its super easy to just walk around shanking everyone.

RedRumy3

After 22 hours I finally beat the main quest, got my ancient armor and started to work on side quest and hunting down all these flowers and other stuff. I really enjoy playing this game.

LOL.. well.. they kind of make it easy to get headshots when they keep walking up to find fallen comrades all the time.

haha they work like lemmings if they don't detect you, arrows to the head or wire bombs are their nemesis, they are destined to march towards death.

Humans are lame but I don't care about them so much in terms of combat, it would be a problem if they were difficult though.

Sounds more like your system has an issue with the game. I've not heard this from anyone else and I run a 7.1 system through HDMI and it sounds great to me. Directional sounds are so immersive to me I know what direction a machine is walking from/to when they're not even on screen. It's definitely not the sound mix.

The machine sounds are good. That's not what I'm talking about. It's the other sounds that are lacking as I stated.(many NPCs, music, some of the ambient sounds) This isn't a regular problem for me on my system so I doubt it's on my end. I've seen plenty of other people mention the NPCs as well.

wnt

Banned
The game's great. Just finished it. For the first time since a long time I was hungry for more. More plot info, what happened to the planet, etc. Curiosity is my second name ;)

Any info on DLCs?

SerTapTap

I'm there at night now. I guess I'll just wait until I have all of the
power cells but that one.

About that...
that one isn't the last one to be available, so yeah, don't worry too much. I don't know if it opens between the first time and the second time, but you'll definitely have access to the mountain again even if it doesn't happen to open at night like I read

Sanctuary

To me it's relatively simple to stealth kill everyone in a human compound. You can Stealth Strike kill someone 5 feet from another enemy and they won't be alerted -- it's a bit ridiculous.

With high Stealth armor on its super easy to just walk around shanking everyone.

No, what's ridiculous is "Hey, I think there's a body over here...hey, it's one of ours! Oh, I guess it was nothing". *Whistle* "Huh, what was that?" *Shank* "Hey, is someone hiding over there?" *Dum de dum, walks nonchalantly to a pile of corpses* *Shank*.

Stealth in general in this game is broken. I actually didn't realize until pretty late into the game that even when a machine is in an alert state (yellow, not red), you can literally walk directly towards their faces and kill them as long as they are not in the alarmed/aggressive red state. It's stupid.

X-Frame

No, what's ridiculous is "Hey, I think there's a body over here...hey, it's one of ours! Oh, I guess it was nothing". *Whistle* "Huh, what was that?" *Shank* "Hey, is someone hiding over there?" *Dum de dum, walks nonchalantly to a pile of corpses* *Shank*.

Yup, haha. I agree. It's definitely an area where GG should look to improve.

wnt

Banned
Oh yeah,

Weapons and their upgrades are the main disadvantange in the game. Whole equipment seems poor to me.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I guess I'm weird because I have enjoyed clearing bandit camps so far. Not as much as the robots, of course, but bandit combat hasn't been the blight on humanity I was expecting based on many comments.

I like taking everyone out via stealth. There's certain instances where you're forced into open combat with them and those typically aren't fun.

A lot of people complain about the AI but honestly, if they behaved intelligently, it would be less tolerable.

Anyone else noticing awful looking textures since the patch? Never noticed it before today, but now I can watch the ground about 15 feet in front of Aloy become more detailed as she runs. And on mountainsides further away I can run back and forth and watch details appear and disappear. Everything in general just looks bad until you're standing on top of it, and sometimes not even then. :/

Check out that spray-painted grass down there:
Qqah6Wx.jpg

Getting much closer doesn't make it look much better:
n94mRxF.jpg

Also, was the focus always so bright? I never really noticed before, but now it's distracting because I keep thinking the glow from it is the glow of loot.

Ardenyal

Just finished with 44 hours 30 minutes on the clock. 85% completion.

This game has a really nice progression not just in unlocking new weapons and ammo but also when you learn the mechanics and get better at fighting the robots. Very rewarding.

Floody

Are there any side missions that only pop up a certain amount through the story, or at a certain time of day?

Yes some pop up after events happen or when the story takes you to major locations, but can't really go into much detail as major spoilers. Most are just unlocked the second you go to the settlement of the quest giver though. Not sure if any of them are time of day related, but doubt it.

Button

Banned
Anyone's Pro getting super loud when looking at the map? Almost makes me nervous to have it that loud, maybe it's overheating?

Mifune

Mehmber
I like taking everyone out via stealth. There's certain instances where you're forced into open combat with them and those typically aren't fun.

A lot of people complain about the AI but honestly, if they behaved intelligently, it would be less tolerable.

Totally. I hated the first encounter with bandits after The Proving because it was open but being able to stealth the entire camp is kinda enjoyable. I will say that taking out the heavy and then using his gun on the rest of his crew is pretty fun, though.

GlamFM

Banned
Anyone's Pro getting super loud when looking at the map? Almost makes me nervous to have it that loud, maybe it's overheating?

Read this a few times. For some reason the map runs at 60fps and gets the fans going.

Nothing to worry about. Just very annoying.

The combat against the humans is the most obvious thing for GG to work on for the sequel. They have to improve it all around.

What I do to make it less noticable is that I always try to sneak kill everyone as much as possible. Works pretty well and is a good contrast to the dinobot action.

Skeletron

Someone mentioned earlier putting it in Performance mode fixes that. May be a glitch in Resolution mode.

What does the new patch do? Have there been any patch notes?

Game is starting to get savage on hard difficulty. I made my initial push into Carja lands this evening and turned right back around haha the massive
buffalo like guys and a storm bird on my ass
I went straight back over the border to gather supplies. At least merchants are stocking the echo thingmies for the tear arrows now but yea. Meeting new enemies and learning the best tactics against them in this game is a blast,and on hard you really need to use the tools at your disposal. Very hard must be Bloodborne levels of hurt on your health meter I assume?

Mifune

Mehmber
Game is starting to get savage on hard difficulty. I made my initial push into Carja lands this evening and turned right back around haha the massive
buffalo like guys and a storm bird on my ass
I went straight back over the border to gather supplies. At least merchants are stocking the echo thingmies for the tear arrows now but yea. Meeting new enemies and learning the best tactics against them in this game is a blast,and on hard you really need to use the tools at your disposal. Very hard must be Bloodborne levels of hurt on your health meter I assume?

I had the same experience when crossing the border. The wide open landscape and flat ground made me feel more vulnerable. It was like playing a different game!

Ferr986

apparently the latest patch was to fix that.

It's weird because after installing the patch the map didn't do the same noise. Tried close and opening, left it open, it was silent... but after a while it started again and now its as loud as pre-patch lol

Anyone else noticing awful looking textures since the patch? Never noticed it before today, but now I can watch the ground about 15 feet in front of Aloy become more detailed as she runs. And on mountainsides further away I can run back and forth and watch details appear and disappear. Everything in general just looks bad until you're standing on top of it, and sometimes not even then. :/

That's lack of AF, and it was present before patch too. Didn't notice anything changed about that.
It's less visible in areas with lots of grass, like the starter areas.

stryke

It may be because I'm playing on normal but cauldrons are so broken.

I can set up a trap and tripwire minefield and wipeout 90% of Thunderjaw's HP without touching it.

I had the same experience when crossing the border. The wide open landscape and flat ground made me feel more vulnerable. It was like playing a different game!

Absolutely! Plus you finally find some relief via grass to hide in and
raiders come running out
:eek: it is an incredible moment when you're coming down the big windy path into that part of the world and you have the stark contrast of what's came before and what's front of you. I had the plus 50 ice armor on and I actually went and bought some new stuff, just because it didn't look right Hah.

Did the patch fix Aloy's little purple focus disc light? I feel like I'm just noticing it for the first time.

The machine sounds are good. That's not what I'm talking about. It's the other sounds that are lacking as I stated.(many NPCs, music, some of the ambient sounds) This isn't a regular problem for me on my system so I doubt it's on my end. I've seen plenty of other people mention the NPCs as well.
I turned music and sfx down to 70 and I still can hardly hear anyone's voice. Definitely not random passing NPC's, and frequently not Aloy herself when she passes comment. Cut scenes are usually better, but the sound mix is a minor blight for me, just playing on my telly.

shiba5

Gamespot just uploaded a video about Aloy being a great character:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzGRmi1kXo8

Now, I know people always say we shouldn't look at the comments, but I don't think ignoring is fixing the problem either.

A few comments:

I hate the gaming community...

Left a "like" just to spite them. Do the people who leave comments like that interact with women (how about just their own mothers) at all? I mean, how do they function in normal life?
Actually, nevermind. I don't want to derail.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Heh I'm doing the exact thing I did in Dragon Age Inquisition, in which I completely ignore the main quest and adventure around getting all the side quests done and collectibles. At least in Horizon it isnt burning me out and I'm having so much more fun.

Mindlog

It's weird for me seeing the distinctions that are made between DAI and Witcher 3 and others compared to Horizon. I enjoyed both of those other games, but they were bashed a lot for things that often receive praise in Horizon.
So is there actually a way to get back to the
All-Mother ruins for the second power cell
after the prologue? Because it never gave me a quick travel marker for it, and all areas into it are surrounded by impassable mountains or behind a locked, impassable gate.
I don't know if that's a time of day issue or a loading issue. Leave that area (cross the bridge) for a while and then come back. That's what I did and it opened for me. Could see everyone walking in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom