• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is how it is for me with goose skin .
I just said fuck it since i don't really use the weapon much lol.

Right. I like the "Overwatch" loot box approach that lets you option out of RNG at some point. In overwatch, you get coins for dupes of stuff you don't want so that eventually you can buy the stuff you do.

In Horizon, you should be able to trade like 5 or 10 of a lesser mat (bones prolly) or 3-5 of a similar mat (skins) from other animals so that if you really do just keep getting bad RNG rolls, at least there's a ceiling where you'll eventually get what you need.
We should just be able to buy skins from a hunter/merchant.

Your avatar makes this hilarious.
:D
The one thing I can't steal.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The Thunderjaw cauldron was weird. I found an alternate entrance and it put me right in the final boss room. i mean i am not complaining but i am wondering if it was by design.

SerTapTap

Man
that Jahamin guy is a total delusional prick. Love seeing Aloy tell him off

Aloy is so awesome, love her personality. Such a shame people who don't play the game just write her off as "she is white and has dreads I am upset????"

it's one of the first-row skill upgrades. I think it's named Silent Strike.

I didn't notice this for 4 hours, it was a little embarrassing since I was streaming and someone was like "is there no stealth kill??" and I'm like "I guess not"

Interesting. I should also start using Tear Arrows more. Shit like the Stalkers and the crab bots have too many annoying pieces of kit strapped to them.

Tearblast is so good once you start to notice it. Easily rips off the annoying bits of boss tier monsters. Hate getting shot with that electric thing from Stormbirds? Like two shots'll remove it!

Any tips on how to take down Corruptors? I'm facing two on that story mission in the quarry and am having a real tough time.

Fire arrows, they're the only enemies that overheat (but not the only ones weak to fire). Make the temp meter overflow and they get stunned and expose a weakpoint.

The Thunderjaw cauldron was weird. I found an alternate entrance and it put me right in the final boss room. i mean i am not complaining but i am wondering if it was by design.

Is there any other way to get in? I was so confused as well since I just went in and bam the final boss was there. I was disappointed that it seems like this was not fully developed like the others but it would be amazing if there are multiple ways to get in with different lengths.

-NeoTB1-

I'd like Lego to make a series of toys based off this game. I need to build a Thunderjaw!

My son was watching me play last night and he asks, "When are the lego sets coming out?" I agree - creating some of the machines with legos would be really cool.

Is there any other way to get in? I was so confused as well since I just went in and bam the final boss was there. I was disappointed that it seems like this was not fully developed like the others but it would be amazing if there are multiple ways to get in with different lengths.

Wait, I'm the same. Is there another way in? I thought it was strange to just get right to the main room but thought it was just a design choice to have it like that.

How amazing and privileged do the guys and girls at Guerilla feel. They have made FPS games first and foremost. KillZone 2 was highly pushed as one of the better FPS's on the console market, but KillZone 3 and ShadowFall were good games but nothing spectacular.

They put their heads together after KillZone 3 and probably decided; ''Friends... Let us try something else''

And then.. 6 years later. This game happens. The most expensive media production in The Netherlands and one of the most dangerous endeavors a company like Guerilla could have done. The amount of things that could have gone wrong with this game were bigger in comparison to the chances of this game succeeding.

They made an amazing game. One could argue the average review score of 88 should have been higher, but I am going to stray far away from that discussion. Guerilla tried and succeeded in their first try. This gets me excited for what they can do with the sequel of this incredible new start of a franchise.

Sony... Throw money at Guerilla Games for the sequel. They deserve it.

Have been a huge fan of GG after Killzone 2, one of my fav games and I'm elated at the success they are having with Horizon.

With barely any experience in RPG or open world type games, they have crafted a true masterpeice in Horizon. It was my most awaited game since the day they announced it and couldn't have asked for more. (i do actually, give me moar Horizon content GG!)

Honestly, TJ has gotten a bit too easy. When you open with those tear arrows, as long as you can safely find a way to get to the disc launcher you just knocked off, It's damn near game over. Usually takes down ~75% of its health, if not killing it outright, and then you just clean up what's left with ropecaster and damage arrows.

Interesting that you go for freeze tho instead of the disc launcher. Really cool that there are a variety of totally workable approaches.

I usually just run up
tear the launchers off, freeze it then go to town with the launchers,
absolutely obliterates it. The stormbird is another story though.

KodaRuss

I have one single but really big (for me) rant about this game.

Why can't we buy multiple items at once? We can sell items in multiples, but not buy them :|

It's anoying when I need to buy 80-100 ropes...

Seems like something GG could easily patch in. Why are you buying so many though, I must not be there yet.

Literally every other skin has dropped at one point for me. Racoons skin still hasn't after 25 hours.

Tried shooting them with Harvester arrows?

IDK if that works but I've never had trouble getting bones and skins from animals.

In my experience, killing them with an arrow tends to have a better chance of dropping the item than killing them with the spear.

Also, if you mark the job as an errand in the quest tab, that also tends to spawn more of that animal and higher drop rate of required resource.

Could be pure RNG at the end though..

Seems like something GG could easily patch in. Why are you buying so many though, I must not be there yet.

I think he means wires, and i posted the same thing a couple pages back.

it's annoying because i'm flush with shards, but need to buy wire constantly (for some of the sharpshooter bow arrows) and i literally have to sit there and press and hold the X button over 100 times.

Not sure how that one slipped through QA honestly

Wire becomes super important for the higher level arrow types. You can usually keep enough by killing plenty of lower level machines, but if you're using a lot of the specialty arrows and the trip/ropecaster, you can burn through them rather quickly.

And yes, there NEEDS to be a buy multiple button.

Chance

I think he means wires, and i posted the same thing a couple pages back.

it's annoying because i'm flush with shards, but need to buy wire constantly (for some of the sharpshooter bow arrows) and i literally have to sit there and press and hold the X button over 100 times.

Not sure how that one slipped through QA honestly

I'm definitely in the same boat with wires. I'll usually buy like 40 before I leave a settlement.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

IDK if that works but I've never had trouble getting bones and skins from animals.

In my experience, killing them with an arrow tends to have a better chance of dropping the item than killing them with the spear.

Also, if you mark the job as an errand in the quest tab, that also tends to spawn more of that animal and higher drop rate of required resource.

It's pure RNG. i use the harvest arrows and have the errand quest active and it still drops common items like meat 50% of the time. when it does drop an uncommon or rare item, it's not the one i need. For some reason the game has been dropping tails recently which fucking sucks because all i need is skins or bones to buy the damn outfits. i have 5000 metal shards and cant buy anything because not all rabbits have skins apparently.

SerTapTap

Wait do Harvest Arrows drop more materials for small animals too??

Everyone needs wire in here. I have never once been low on wire. What am I doing wrong?

They probably just use trip/ropecasters far more than we do. I've never run low on any ammo-making thing other than wood a couple times (you can buy 200 for almost nothing), but I main the quick now which is crazy cheap, and elemental weakness exploitation

burgerdog

Guerrilla returns the favor to CD Projekt Red:

C6A8W6FWYAA80BK.jpg

What's up with his tiny ass crossbow? Surprised no one has mentioned that lol

Staf

Holy shit, holy shit you guys. I just arrived at
Project: Zero Dawn base beneath Citadel
and this is so damn good. This story is fucking nuts.

I haven't tried harvester arrows but I don't think that'll affect anything. I think Guerilla should patch in higher drop rates. Logically speaking every kill should give bone, skin, and meat.

BeeDog

Goddamn, just did the Quarry mission. That fight (and robot) is TENSE.

One thing I really feel GG nailed is the attack tracking of the robots. Whenever they rev up and gun for you, it's always a super-close call, especially with the bigger robots. I like the fact that you can't sit on your ass if you want to survive.

Aloy is so awesome, love her personality. Such a shame people who don't play the game just write her off as "she is white and has dreads I am upset????"

Tearblast is so good once you start to notice it. Easily rips off the annoying bits of boss tier monsters. Hate getting shot with that electric thing from Stormbirds? Like two shots'll remove it!
Anybody that doesn't like Aloy is a fool. She's got plenty of personality and legitimately funny. Oh boy that's great, I hope they're not that hard to craft. I've been trying to not use them for that very reason.

unrealist

Is it worth getting a Pro just for this game, maybe Persona 5 down the road and Yakuza?

I only have a 43 inch 1080p TV, it's about 3 years old already. Or will a slim suffice? I am not picky on frame rates and such.

My only gripe with game so far is that you can't fast travel directly from the "show on map" prompt when tagging a quest. You have to back out to the main map and go from there.

Other than that, it's brilliant.

Is it worth getting a Pro just for this game, maybe Persona 5 down the road and Yakuza?

I only have a 43 inch 1080p TV, it's about 3 years old already. Or will a slim suffice? I am not picky on frame rates and such.
Based on analysis by DF you get solid performance regardless of your ps4 system. Pro does give you way prettier effects though
My only gripe with game so far is that you can't fast travel directly from the "show on map" prompt when tagging a quest. You have to back out to the main map and go from there.

Other than that, it's brilliant.
Yeah minor gripe for me as well

SerTapTap

Anybody that doesn't like Aloy is a fool. She's got plenty of personality and legitimately funny. Oh boy that's great, I hope they're not that hard to craft. I've been trying to not use them for that very reason.

They're only hard to craft before you start getting Echoshell materials from enemies. I forget what drops them, but eventually they're abundant.

It's not likely to be "just" those games and PS4 Pro exceeded my expectations on a 1080p TV so I'd say yes personally. PS4 pro support is shaping up to be a lot more common than I thought (though Japanese games are still behind on supporting it). Gravity Rush 2 was also fantastic, if a game targets 4K you can basically guarantee no noticeable aliasing on 1080p.

What annoys me as well is that there are some who cannot differentiate between braids and dreads. They're braids goddamnit

Yeah that too, I never understood the hate. Her hair is complicated as hell and a bit messy, but that's not what dreads look like. There are people with actual dreads, but dang. Generally speaking I find the cultural complaints to be really wonky and I don't think those people have played the game at all. But it's major spoilers to explain exactly all why. I don't think those people plan to actually play the game or care about it all though so I try not to let it bug me too much, I just enjoy the game.

I think I saw an interview somewhere where Guerrilla said Horizon was one of several pitches presented to Sony, and by far the "riskiest" of the bunch. Kudos to Sony for rolling the (very, very expensive) dice,and Guerrilla for pulling it off with exceptional panache.
I mean - just look at it - of course it was risky, but so glad they decided to go with it - most def the best game I've played on PS4 so far

Moonkeis

17 hours in. Level 20. I think I am around 30% completed now. MAN do I love this game.

I'm usually rushing through the world in these types of games, but I've been taking my time just exploring, Sunday night, 3 hours later I haven't even made progress on the main quest.

vypek

Goddamn, just did the Quarry mission. That fight (and robot) is TENSE.

One thing I really feel GG nailed is the attack tracking of the robots. Whenever they rev up and gun for you, it's always a super-close call, especially with the bigger robots. I like the fact that you can't sit on your ass if you want to survive.

Really intense fight. Hadn't seen the enemy there before and it was so surprising cause I didn't expect a massive boss and fight.

zkorejo

Blasts air so hard that it rips off components from the enemy. One round at a time so its not quite like the rattler but does have a strong tearing effect as the name implies :)

That sounds about right

meant to be used at almost point blank range. unfortunately i haven't used either it, or the rattler, so i can't say whether they're similar. You can only upgrade capacity though. It comes as a purple and has no mod slots. I should probably try it out... I just prefer to engage from distance

Wait really? I figured that'd be the best one, I mostly use that bow for tearblast though. The "boss" tier things don't seem to lose parts in a single shot.

It's a tear-only shotgun with super low range. It kinda sucks, just use the bow with Tearblast arrows. It's a cool idea, but only having a single ammo type kinda ruins it. Same reason I don't like to use the (much more useful) ropecaster too often.
Thanks everyone. I'll get it in my next session.

Yeah I usually started all of the megafauna boss fights with triple tearblast arrows to a few vital areas to remove some of their more annoying capabilities. Then I would ropecast them down and then attack their weakpoint (elemental canisters) for massive damage!

Dosen't hurt that I had like 3x 40%+ Tear mods on that bow, rips shit off quick. Probably a little game-breaking in fact.

Gaz_RB

Juggling this and Zelda has been a bit of a bear. I dedicated Saturday to Zelda and Sunday to Horizon, and made good progress on both. It also helped me appreciate what each one does differently (although there are a ton of similarities).

Coming back to Horizon's graphics after spending a day playing Zelda... jesus christ. Incomparable.

Juggling this and Zelda has been a bit of a bear. I dedicated Saturday to Zelda and Sunday to Horizon, and made good progress on both. It also helped me appreciate what each one does differently (although there are a ton of similarities).

Coming back to Horizon's framerate after spending a day playing Zelda... jesus christ. Incomparable.

FTFY

=P

I haven't actually played Zelda, but I've heard about it from almost all the reviewers I follow

nOoblet16

Wait, I'm the same. Is there another way in? I thought it was strange to just get right to the main room but thought it was just a design choice to have it like that.
No, it's the only way in.
It's more difficult to get in because it's heavily guarded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom