• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm not sure what's going on, but Aloy has suddenly become obsessed with her focus. Every minute or two it's 'I might find something if I use my focus' or I wonder if my focus might help here'. Shut the hell up, I use the focus all the time.

SerTapTap

Is there seriously no map to be found online for the all of the text datapoints? Some of these really give insight into the world. I found the one called The "Gift" which gives some juicy detail in a throwaway sentence. They are way to easy to miss since they're so small and hardly show up even in focus mode. I didn't find one for several hours once I got to the desert area and I know there have to be quite a few I've missed.

It's frustrating to want to know more of the backstory/history and flesh everything out when it's seemingly impossible right now.

Like 70% of them are found in large clusters in story mission locations. I wouldn't worry too much about missing them until the story's done. But yeah I was wondering if there was a map, I've been avoiding looking things up. I was tempted to make a guide myself, but I figured it's a AAA game so I'd get buried by other sites.

They do show up without the focus though, it's just a small-ish icon.

I wish I turned off the HUD earlier. Most of it is unnecessary when you know what you're doing and it's all right there at a tap. Feels so much better to remove almost all of it. I only leave on tools, weapons, health bars and enemy detection indicators as Dynamic, the rest is always off.

2 questions for everybody..

1. What is the outfit you are using and what in your opinion is the best outfit?
2. What is your weapon layout and what weapon is the best in your opinion?

I only consider the Stealth and "all elements" ones to be valid options because I am way too lazy to change outfits per situation.

Gamespot just uploaded a video about Aloy being a great character:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzGRmi1kXo8

I hate the gaming community...

As I've learned lately, a large quantity of the population is simply garbage. Not just gamers, just people. No empathy, no respect, no warmth in their heart.

Anung

Un Rama
Vanasha is the best waifu. Love her character and look.

In fact there's a lot of great female characters in this game.

kitzkozan

Even as someone who prefers to play as a male that is just sad. She's a decent character and hopefully a good role model for young girls AND boys.

Saw the IGN Nier: Automata review on youtube and since the critic is a woman, I saw: who let this woman out the kitchen? It's just inane bullshit which doesn't even deserve 1 second of brain cell dedicated to it (not to mention the fanboys war).

Even if you think a video might have no controversial aspect to it, Youtube is an absolute cesspool so don't bother with the comments lol.

Man, this game has a bit of a weird learning curve. Or at least I seem to have this problem with a lot of games these days.

Took me some time to get into this game but now I'm absoluteley addicted. Sticking mostly to the story quest because I want to finish the main story until tomorrow. Already can't wait to restart and do everything. This is so much fun. Loving the universe and the lore GG has crafted. How Meridian was founded, e regilgious beliefes and all. Really surprised how much thought GG has put into this. The characters are amazing too.

The graphics are absolutely unbelieveable for the scale of this game. And the design of the world is absolutely mindblowing. A well crafted and beautiful city like Meridian is not something I would have expected in a game like this.

This year man. First RE7 and now this. Please keep it going like this 2017.

Completed the first cauldron last night. Wonderfully beautiful and detailed, a great change of pace and style and excellently realised. There was a point just before entering the final chamber, with a rocky cavern with a pool of water at its base ... Somehow, with my female hunter sitting overlooking a rocky precipice, deep in enemy territory and still pushing further, opening her laser-bound scanning visor to pick up clues ... I almost felt like I was playing Metroid Prime again. I really can't wait to play more, but won't get much opportunity until the weekend.

There's a bit in the cauldron with a Shell-Walker surround by patrolling Watchers. And I picked the Watchers off one by one, with nicely placed arrows to their faces. And after the last was dispatched, I was amazed to feel a sudden jet of compassion for the Shell-Walker, mysteriously abandoned, alone in the hostile darkness ... Guys? ... I was probably totally imagining it, but it actually seemed to display real anxiety in that moment.

avaya

I feel like a little kid again playing this. Even thinking about this at work...I never do that about games. Just an amazing world they have created.

teokrazia

I cannot believe the gap between the amazing combat against dinos and the dogshit level of the fights against humans. The latters should be illegal.

Anung

Un Rama
I cannot believe the gap between the amazing combat against dinos and the dogshit level of the fights against humans. The latters should be illegal.

Totally. Especially when they throw so much of it at you during main missions. They should have worked in the dinosaurs more.

2 questions for everybody..

1. What is the outfit you are using and what in your opinion is the best outfit?
2. What is your weapon layout and what weapon is the best in your opinion?

1- Fashion Aloy, I switch outfits after a while because I like to look different but I don't pay too much attention to stats outside of stealth when I don't want to be disturbed while exploring.

2- Hunter Bow/Sharpshot Bow at left, Ropecaster at right, Sling at top, Tripwire at bottom. This is the main loadout for the whole game.

I'm not decided which is my favourite weapon yet, everything seems so useful.

Mifune

Mehmber
I guess I'm weird because I have enjoyed clearing bandit camps so far. Not as much as the robots, of course, but bandit combat hasn't been the blight on humanity I was expecting based on many comments.

Seriously. Every time I got funneled into an encounter with humans it was just not fun, whether it be cause the AI was lacking or just the sheer horde of them I dunno, but it made me appreciate the dino fights even more.

Update seems to have made the game less stable. No crashes what-so-ever in the many hours of play before but two crashes in the 6 hours since the update. Hopefully the next update will fix it (and not lead to more crashes). What was is for anyway?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

it's not that bad, but it could be better. They should have made humans a bigger threat with mech powers of their own.

I wonder if they fixed the Redmaw spoiler book...

No way to know by myself, it should be someone who hasn't finished the quest yet.

it's not that bad, but it could be better. They should have made humans a bigger threat with mech powers of their own.

At least humans riding Striders, Chargers or Broadheads.

augmental

Can you change the left / right stance of Aloy when she has her bow drawn? I think you could do this in other games, like Gears maybe?

Playsage

Cause you don't have thing like the machine alert signals (that also tells you when they attack), thing lighting up everytime you get hit, and no health bars keeps you on the edge till the fight gas finished.
Also no "part removed" and other thing showing up in the middle of the fight

All of this while the game's beauty hits your eye at its fullest

Just beat the Corrupted RockbreakerTag Team in a direct fight. THE ADRENALINE

My major gripe is the lack of contact... You're basically fighting them in the same exact way you do the dinos... I just want to snap necks & slice some throats, you know... I take it as GG providing those human encounters to basically help in stacking up on loot..

Falchion

Does anyone play this game with headphones? I never think about using my PS silver headset since I can't bother anyone with my TV's sounds but for this game I would imagine the audio quality would be worth the headset.

It would be cool if they had scavenged parts from machine to make small suits and stuff that you could override.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Mate, they are broken in every possibile way: AI, collisions, hit reactions. Seriously.

huh? AI seems to be standard stealth affair. they investigate dead bodies, have their own A.I routines and i never had any problems with hit detection. try upgrading your bow's handling. a headshot should be a headshot.

EDIT: I mostly clear them out without being seen, but there were a few times where they found me and just wouldnt let up. I once hid in a room and they found me through the window. I thought that was kind of neat.

It would be cool if they had scavenged parts from machine to make small suits and stuff that you could override.

Someone mentioned them riding dinobots and that would be a great change of pace. At least the human bosses should be riding these things or have extra armor that you have to take off using tear arrows or something. I killed a boss in just three fire arrow shots last night, such an anti-climatic moment after they had spent three hours building him up.

Just having one guy flying around the base using parts scavanged from the Glinthawks would have made these outposts a lot less trivial.

Although the robot audio design is decent, the sound mixing in this game is really undertuned. Many NPCs are close to inaudible at times, music is way too soft, etc. This is a game where I think headphones are pretty much required.

Kin5290

My major gripe is the lack of contact... You're basically fighting them in the same exact way you do the dinos... I just want to snap necks & slice some throats, you know... I take it as GG providing those human encounters to basically help in stacking up on loot..
Human stealth kills are pretty gratifyingly brutal.

X-Frame

Does anyone play this game with headphones? I never think about using my PS silver headset since I can't bother anyone with my TV's sounds but for this game I would imagine the audio quality would be worth the headset.

I do. I use Philips Fidelio X2's and they're spectacular with this game. The explosions to the dino-growls to ambient music, all sounds wonderful.

Sanctuary

So is there actually a way to get back to the
All-Mother ruins for the second power cell
after the prologue? Because it never gave me a quick travel marker for it, and all areas into it are surrounded by impassable mountains or behind a locked, impassable gate.

Although the robot audio design is pretty decent, the sound mixing in this game is really undertuned. Many NPCs are close to inaudible at times, music is way too soft, etc. This is a game where I think headphones are pretty much required.
Yes. The game is quite a joy to listen to. The sound design for the dinosaurs in particular is amazing. From the low and menacing grumble of the Sawtooth and its footsteps, to the majestic whoosh of stormbirds, Guerilla implemented beautiful sounds in Horizon.

I do. I use Philips Fidelio X2's and they're spectacular with this game. The explosions to the dino-growls to ambient music, all sounds wonderful.

I use the PlayStation Gold Series with Uncharted 4 Audio Mode, can't believe there's no audio mode for Horizon but Uncharted works awesome qualitywise.
Don't use it all the time though, mostly at night.

aristotle

Although the robot audio design is decent, the sound mixing in this game is really undertuned. Many NPCs are close to inaudible at times, music is way too soft, etc. This is a game where I think headphones are pretty much required.

Sounds more like your system has an issue with the game. I've not heard this from anyone else and I run a 7.1 system through HDMI and it sounds great to me. Directional sounds are so immersive to me I know what direction a machine is walking from/to when they're not even on screen. It's definitely not the sound mix.

after the prologue? Because it never gave me a quick travel marker for it, and all areas into it are surrounded by impassable mountains or behind a locked, impassable gate.
Yes - nothing is missable

augmental

I missed it too, but I read that you can go back to it 'later on in the story'.

SerTapTap

Apparently you have to return at night? Or at day or something. It's closed most of the time.

Human stealth kills are pretty gratifyingly brutal.

Stabbed a guy in the fucking dick once. Not scripted or anything, just happened to be where the spear went, but I laughed.

Update seems to have made the game less stable. No crashes what-so-ever in the many hours of play before but two crashes in the 6 hours since the update. Hopefully the next update will fix it (and not lead to more crashes). What was is for anyway?

I had a crash once, pre-update (haven't played since it), happened when I died anyway so no biggie.

Humans are just fucking boring. Dead Space had the same issue. You can't really include them with something so hugely different have have both be good without basically designing two full combat systems.

Bandit camps aren't THAT bad though as long as you play stealth. Fighting them head on, yeah, they're morons.

I'm not really finding the Stormbird much fun to fight. It has way too many AoE moves.

Break it's chest cannon or use so much shock resistance it doesn't matter.

Saw the IGN Nier: Automata review on youtube and since the critic is a woman, I saw: who let this woman out the kitchen? It's just inane bullshit which doesn't even deserve 1 second of brain cell dedicated to it (not to mention the fanboys war).

Even if you think a video might have no controversial aspect to it, Youtube is an absolute cesspool so don't bother with the comments lol.

Youtubers need to be better at removing that cancer. Fuck this "free speech" shit, you're giving them a platform. Your video, your comments, if you leave up awful shit you're supporting it. You won't find any of that crap in my videos' comments, I remove any garbage immediately and ban people deliberately being awful. Good riddance.

Zackat

Yeah I just rolled over the human fighting sections. I think I have a really high headshot rate.

I wonder if having a more robust melee system would lead to better human combat. Especially in bunkers and the like with little rooms and corridors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom