• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is there actually a way to get back to the
All-Mother ruins for the second power cell
after the prologue? Because it never gave me a quick travel marker for it, and all areas into it are surrounded by impassable mountains or behind a locked, impassable gate.
Fast travel to there. Go to the gate. Go back, cross the bridge and come back, the gate will be opened.

Made it to my first Cauldron (Sigma) and the end dino is actually pretty challenging. Do the other Cauldrons get harder as you progress?

I've only done two, but I'd say the second one I went to was harder. Not gonna spoil why as it was cool to just enter an area and have no preconception as to what it will be about, but it definitely challenged me a lot more than Sigma.

Heh I'm doing the exact thing I did in Dragon Age Inquisition, in which I completely ignore the main quest and adventure around getting all the side quests done and collectibles. At least in Horizon it isnt burning me out and I'm having so much more fun.

I'm finding an okay pacing myself exploring quite vastly but doing the main and side missions as I actually arrive at them. It is very tempting just to disappear into the wilderness though haha I think I only found one place so far that's clearly for *later*

LiK

map heating issue? I missed something. Unless spoiler related, please let me know what this is?

Apparently when you check your map, it causes heating issues for some reason. i think Pro owners notice it more. i play on Regular and don't really notice.

Mesoian

I have bad news for you.

I mean....there's things you can do.

It was funny, I had finished all the cauldron's before I went up to Gaia Prime, so when the stormbird came over the hills to be like "THIS IS YOUR BOSS FIGHT!!!!!", I just pinned him down with 6 ropes, took him over, and he left. It was kind of super anticlimactic. I was surprised that you never fight a corrupted Stormbird, but...::Shrug::

Apparently when you check your map, it causes heating issues for some reason. i think Pro owners notice it more. i play on Regular and don't really notice.

Considering how many times the map straight up refused to load for me, I can believe it.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

Ah. I have a Pro. I noticed it got reasonably noisy a-la standard PS4, but I'm wearing noise cancelling headphones, so.. no idea when that starts kicking in. Up until now, it's been reasonably silent and sits on top of my desk with waaaaay more than enough ventilation. I wonder if it's a heating thing or something else. My condo stays at 74ish degrees, so there's no way for me to tell if it's because of that, or the game.

shiba5

I mean....there's things you can do.

It was funny, I had finished all the cauldron's before I went up to Gaia Prime, so when the stormbird came over the hills to be like "THIS IS YOUR BOSS FIGHT!!!!!", I just pinned him down with 6 ropes, took him over, and he left. It was kind of super anticlimactic. I was surprised that you never fight a corrupted Stormbird, but...::Shrug::

Considering how many times the map straight up refused to load for me, I can believe it.

I hadn't unlocked that yet when I wandered into the wrong area. Definitely going to try your way next time.

Mesoian

Fast travel to there. Go to the gate. Go back, cross the bridge and come back, the gate will be opened.

Interestingly enough...until it closes.

I went back up there later in the game just to explore, went into through the area, nothing to be found there, left....and the gate was closed, locking me inside. I had to fast travel out.

I hadn't unlocked that yet when I wandered into the wrong area. Definitely going to try your way next time.

I mean, just a warning, if you're doing side missions, you will HAVE to fight a Stormbird. It's actually a fun fight if you deck yourself out correctly. But yeah, the mission where you HAVE to was TOUGH, lots of stressful moments of rolling off cliffs into rivers to stay out of sight and finding good sniping lines. I was way too under leveled the first time, but then I came back and rocked it. But that thing is tough.

MaKTaiL

I don't know about you guys but after the patch the transitions between Night/Day are much more smooth. Sunrise and sunset last longer now.

I just finished the last cauldron last night and they are all unique, not necessarily harder or easier. Personally I found the 2nd one to be the hardest.

2nd one was the toughest for me.

3rd one I did wasn't so bad
(the one with the goons/killers inside)
, I'm pretty sure I have one more which is the one closest to the top of the map.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
map heating issue? I missed something. Unless spoiler related, please let me know what this is?
I dunno how it is for others but on my Pro, looking at the map for even a second or two kicks the fan into high gear. I've never heard it go anywhere near this loud for anything else. It's genuinely alarming to the point where I cringe anytime I access the map/menu.

Quonny

Fire arrows + stealth armor is b-b-b-b-b-broken.

Shoot until on fire, run just far enough away so they can't see you (only have to run like 20 yards away), and repeat.

tcrunch

I found something called a "Machine Convoy: Shell Walker" and I think Aloy said something about a Cauldron, but I was busy fighting some other stuff when I came across it and I didn't hear what she said clearly. Does a convoy mean there is a Cauldron nearby? There's some broken windmills and mountains nearby.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I dunno how it is for others but on my Pro, looking at the map for even a second or two kicks the fan into high gear. I've never heard it go anywhere near this loud for anything else. It's genuinely alarming to the point where I cringe anytime I access the map/menu.

Yeah.. it's loud. I'll have a solid listen later if I get to play.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Game just told me off for leaving the play area and warned me it'd load my last save if I continued. Shouldn't let me jump up to the top of the mountains then. And why have cover up here if I'm not supposed to be here?

hbkdx12

I found something called a "Machine Convoy: Shell Walker" and I think Aloy said something about a Cauldron, but I was busy fighting some other stuff when I came across it and I didn't hear what she said clearly. Does a convoy mean there is a Cauldron nearby? There's some broken windmills and mountains nearby.

She might have said something along the lines of how she can probably override them with what she learned in the cauldron. Nevertheless, all the cauldrons are marked on your map. So you don't really need to go out of your way searching for them.

Alucrid

Banned
Game just told me off for leaving the play area and warned me it'd load my last save if I continued. Shouldn't let me jump up to the top of the mountains then. And why have cover up here if I'm not supposed to be here?

i only had that happen very early in the game for what i assume is story reasons. never again after that

Xeteh

Not sure about that but any time I've heard Aloy talk about the Cauldrons is if she can't override a type of machine and maybe she can find out how in a Cauldron.

Mesoian

Shoot until on fire, run just far enough away so they can't see you (only have to run like 20 yards away), and repeat.

Especially when you can start stacking arrows per shot. One pull is basically a grenade shot

Playsage

I don't know about a relation between the two, but...
There's a Shellwalker zone right in front of a Cauldron so she May have commented in the Cauldron while you found the convoy

HowZatOZ

Banned
I'm finding an okay pacing myself exploring quite vastly but doing the main and side missions as I actually arrive at them. It is very tempting just to disappear into the wilderness though haha I think I only found one place so far that's clearly for *later*
Yeah I found one place like that in the northern parts of Nora that was clearly for later, but I like that the enemy level's don't mean too much in this game. Obviously I do more damage the higher I am compared to who I'm fighting but I've still found situations where it can be a tricky fight because of the monster.

SoulClap

It gets insanely loud for me as well.

silva1991

Talanah's running animation is terrible lmao.

I have bad news for you.

Fuck

C'mon, Stormbird the toughest one in the game and doesn't really have a cheese mechanic *cough* Thunderjaw *cough*.

I actually just killed one with the strategy you uploaded yesterday.

I did surprisingly well until those MOTHER FUCKING CHARGERS came out of nowhere and made me lose 90 of my fast healing.

but yeah your method is great.

BeeDog

I guess the new patch fixed the Hunters Lodge spoiler bug? Arrived there for the first time today and couldn't see/find the second part of the book that's supposed to spoil everything.

Mesoian

There's a section of the mountains by the Budauk village to the north that is this very large, very open, very beautiful valley that has all fresh powder snow. Nothing is up there, there's no reason to go there, but it's one of the most breathtaking areas in the game and it is completely unique, and you can only get there by Skyrim'ing up a sheer cliffside and if you cross it, you get the warning to turn around.

It makes me wonder if it's a site for future DLC. It's too gorgeous to go unused.

Just got past The Proving and visited
Rost's
grave site, that
"there's people behind that door"
has me tripping though. Imagine finding
modern people still alive!

The story is already just so interesting from the jump. I loved The Witcher 3, but it took me a long time to get invested. I really didn't care in that game until the first time you play as
Ciri.
This grabed me instantly.

Storywise, I might end up liking it better than Witcher 3. I already do Gameplay wise (Robo Dino encounters are actually challenging). In Witcher 3, the game was only hard on the highest difficultly for a couple hours until you gear up and become unstoppable.

A+ GG

MaKTaiL

I guess the new patch fixed the Hunters Lodge spoiler bug? Arrived there for the first time today and couldn't see/find the second part of the book that's supposed to spoil everything.
Yeah, they fixed it. I also haven't done the quest and the book is gone. I scanned it before the patch though so it's still registered on my log.

Falchion

I'm going to buy the best stealth armor I can afford as soon as I hop on today.

DukeBobby

Just got killed five times by a pair of
corrupted Rockbreakers
. I think I might turn the difficulty down to fight them (playing on hard).

MaKTaiL

Just got killed five times by a pair of
corrupted Rockbreakers
. I think I might turn the difficulty down to fight them (playing on hard).
There is a couple of Ravagers on a field beside it. Take out their weapons, kill them then use the weapon against the Rockbreakers. It should be an easy fight.

BeeDog

Yeah, they fixed it. I also haven't done the quest and the book is gone. I scanned it before the patch though so it's still registered on my log.

Thanks for confirming. Wouldn't have read that journal entry myself, but I was strangely miffed by such a stupid error and wanted them to fix it fast :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom