• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished the game up yesterday evening, unfortunately. It feels like it's been ages since I had a gameplay experience like Horizon offered. Almost every night over the past week a solid three to four hours without breaks was devoted to the game which I'm not accustomed to whatsoever. Spent most of Saturday and Sunday with it and ended up finishing after 34 hours or so. Completed all the side quests aside from some Hunters Lodge stuff and I'll be Platinuming it within the next couple days before moving over to Breath of the Wild.

In my mind, it's easily the best reason to own a Playstation 4. The OST is fantastic, the entire game from character models to the environment and lighting is outstanding, the narrative is incredibly well developed and interesting. There's some wonky dialogue here and there along with some trappings inherent with AAA open world games at the moment but none if it had any effect on my experience.

I hope beyond (Beyond!) hope that we get some DLC to hold us over until the sequel. Brilliant game and easily GOTY thus far.

Mystery

So is there actually a way to get back to the
All-Mother ruins for the second power cell
after the prologue? Because it never gave me a quick travel marker for it, and all areas into it are surrounded by impassable mountains or behind a locked, impassable gate.

Gate only opens at night.

Also, everyone commenting on how looking at the map sends your PS4 into high gear, it's because the menu and map run at 60fps, while the normal game is capped to 30.

JJShadow

Just encountered my first Thunderjaw, I managed to get him below 30% or so but couldn't finish him. Any general strategy to defeat him? I'm still level 26 and playing on Hard, maybe I should level a bit? I tried to remove as many components as possible using the tear arrows and then try to explode those shock/freeze canisters under the belly/tail, but it's quite difficult

Karamsoul

Apparently when you check your map, it causes heating issues for some reason. i think Pro owners notice it more. i play on Regular and don't really notice.

I think I know why. I only noticed it this week when I received my new Pro and 65 inch 4K tv: The map is an actual 3-D birds-eye view of the whole world in Horizon Zero Dawn.

Blew my mind completely when I noticed it (zoom in and notice the slight perspective changes between higher topography like mountains, compared to lower lands).

Mystery

Just encountered my first Thunderjaw, I managed to get him below 30% or so but couldn't finish him. Any general strategy to defeat him? I'm still level 26 and playing on Hard, maybe I should level a bit? I tried to remove as many components as possible using the tear arrows and then try to explode those shock/freeze canisters under the belly/tail, but it's quite difficult

He has 2 weak points on his side, and one on his forehead. Blow off his radar first, then his disc launcher. Then his mouth guns, then his tail. After you expose his weak areas, pick up his disc launcher and lay into his weak points.

Or you can just ropecaster him down and cheese it.

Couple of approaches. You're right about remove the disc launchers first and foremost. Then either just grab the disc launcher and let have, otherwise freeze him first with war bow/sling and then let have with the disc launcher.

disc launcher does huge damage and it's immensely satisfying to watch the way parts fly off from the disc launcher impact

Also, ropecaster can be your best friend, as Mystery mentioned

eizarus

Banned
Just reached the
canyon
type area (not sure if the spoiler tag is necessary) and oh my God, it's beautiful!

Couple of approaches. You're right about remove the disc launchers first and foremost. Then either just grab the disc launcher and let have, otherwise freeze him first with war bow/sling and then let have with the disc launcher.

disc launcher does huge damage and it's immensely satisfying to watch the way parts fly off from the disc launcher impact

Tangent: Loved the hunting grounds thing! Thanks for the heads up

I'll save my full mini-review for when I finish it, but right now I just wanna vent for a quick moment about the usage of items during combat. I really hope that in one of the patches they'll find a way to make it much more comfortable, because right now trying to toggle between all the different potions and traps, during a fight, and using them, is a mess for me. It's incredibly uncomfortable at the moment and I think just having a different quick-time menu for them, like with the weapons, would be really good. The only solution I can think of at the moment is a pre-emptive one, which is to use all the potions before the fight begins, or to place all the traps. But I dislike that both because it can sometimes take many, many minutes for the traps, and because I find it more enjoyable to react on the fly (in theory - when reacting would be smooth).

LiK

I think I know why. I only noticed it this week when I received my new Pro and 65 inch 4K tv: The map is an actual 3-D birds-eye view of the whole world in Horizon Zero Dawn.

Blew my mind completely when I noticed it (zoom in and notice the slight perspective changes between higher topography like mountains, compared to lower lands).

Yea, it's actually pretty awesome. Nice details.

VanWinkle

Is there a way to hold more than four weapons at a time? I have more weapons than that but I wish I could hold more than just four.

Mystery

Is there a way to hold more than four weapons at a time? I have more weapons than that but I wish I could hold more than just four.

No. Eventually
most of your weapons will split into three variants, giving you up to 12 options to choose from
, but you can go into your menu mid combat and switch up your weapon wheel. The game pauses when you do that, so you can also craft potions and traps (and ammo if you really need to).

VanWinkle

I want to hear about DLC soon! TWO EXPANSIONS is what I want, and you know what one of them should be? A ROST PREQUEL STORY. Love that guy. And I want a new location to coincide with a story expansion. Doesn't have to be nearly as big as the main world, of course, but maybe a quarter of the size or so.

No. Eventually
most of your weapons will split into three variants, giving you up to 12 options to choose from
, but you can go into your menu mid combat and switch up your weapon wheel. The game pauses when you do that, so you can also craft potions and traps (and ammo if you really need to).

Unfortunate. But yeah I suppose that's true about going into the menu.

Yea they should probably just allow you to hold all 6 ? weapon types at once, but it's not too much of a big deal.

A lot of the function overlaps with the status effects and stuff, so just pick the stuff that fits your playstyle best and switch in and out weapons when you're bored.

Maybe they will change this in the future or with a sequel.

Elfstruck

Almost done with the game and I fucking love every minute of it. For the sequel, I'd love GG to expand on the looting and crafting system. I want customizable armor sets and weapons, like killing machines for specific part to make weapons, etc. Also, more rideable mounts pls :)

Tangent: Loved the hunting grounds thing! Thanks for the heads up

Awesome! I was pleasantly surprised. I normally hate the pressures of timed stuff like that, but I think they're very clever and force you to use the breadth of knowledge you've acquired.

Glad you enjoyed!

I want to hear about DLC soon! TWO EXPANSIONS is what I want, and you know what one of them should be? A ROST PREQUEL STORY. Love that guy. And I want a new location to coincide with a story expansion. Doesn't have to be nearly as big as the main world, of course, but maybe a quarter of the size or so.

I want this also.

And a big robotic woolly mammoth.

Where's my big robotic woolly mammoth?

Gradly

I'll save my full mini-review for when I finish it, but right now I just wanna vent for a quick moment about the usage of items during combat. I really hope that in one of the patches they'll find a way to make it much more comfortable, because right now trying to toggle between all the different potions and traps, during a fight, and using them, is a mess for me. It's incredibly uncomfortable at the moment and I think just having a different quick-time menu for them, like with the weapons, would be really good. The only solution I can think of at the moment is a pre-emptive one, which is to use all the potions before the fight begins, or to place all the traps. But I dislike that both because it can sometimes take many, many minutes for the traps, and because I find it more enjoyable to react on the fly (in theory - when reacting would be smooth).

Remember that holding L1 will slow time and not only this is useful for weapons selection but to dial potions and traps as well, a good tip to use

hbkdx12

Yeah it sucks. I got to a point where i literally just sold all my traps and resistance potions to make it easier to get to my health potions
Yea they should probably just allow you to hold all 6 ? weapon types at once, but it's not too much of a big deal.

A lot of the function overlaps with the status effects and stuff, so just pick the stuff that fits your playstyle best and switch in and out weapons when you're bored.

Maybe they will change this in the future or with a sequel.

The redundancies in the weapons is pretty crappy. I think the whole weapon economy is quite shitty. They don't really create a good case as to why there's even rarity in the weapons.

adin75

This may be a silly question, but where can I find a merchant selling the Carja Warbow? Every merchant I have encountered so far doesn't have it, but has all the other Carja weapons.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh well. Level 50 and still at the lvl 12 main quest.

I definitely played this game the wrong way, but I am loving this game so, so much.

Ferr986

Yoo! Finally fought (and won!) my first Thunderjaw.

Was randomly walking till I heard some big noises, and there he was, a single NPC fighting a Thunderjaw! Of course, I had to join, even though I wasn't sure I would pull it. Surprisingly, both myself and the NPC survived.

Was a really close call, fucker can 2 hit you on Hard, but damn it was an awesome fight, with the
lasers
and all of the shit he can throw you.

Thunderjaw and Stormbird seems taken straight from Dragon's Dogma!

JJShadow

He has 2 weak points on his side, and one on his forehead. Blow off his radar first, then his disc launcher. Then his mouth guns, then his tail. After you expose his weak areas, pick up his disc launcher and lay into his weak points.

Or you can just ropecaster him down and cheese it.

Also, ropecaster can be your best friend, as Mystery mentioned

Oh cool, didn't know you can use his disc launcher. Thanks guys, will try again later

Ricker

Cauldron's really need a save just outside or even one inside where you can come out of it or rest,as it is now,if you cant beat it,you have to load a previous save...also needs a better level suggestion because they are way harder then other stuff,suggested level 12 should really say level 20 for example...

TheOneWhoKnockz

Neo Member
I've only played a handful of third-person, open-world action games. The last being The Witcher 3.

Would it be safe to say the enemies in this game are the most vicious and intimidating? Even the weakest and slowest enemies can kill you if you're not paying attention. You don't get much time to react, and you almost always need a strategy going into a battle depending on what enemies you'll be facing and how many there are. There are times when you'll be up against three different enemy types with two each and it's absolutely bonkers. Beautiful chaos, but hard beautiful chaos.

Also - I'm not including Bloodborne or any of the Dark Souls games. I'm talking about huge open worlds that you can go anywhere from the get go.

Having now played a decent chunk of the game, I'm looking back at the USgamer review. I'm still baffled by this particular point:

Sound: Over the course of my 30-something hours, I don't remember any of the sounds or score. Take that as you will.

How is that possible? The main theme is such an ear worm! Not only does it play on the title screen but you hear variations of it throughout.

Yeah it sucks. I got to a point where i literally just sold all my traps and resistance potions to make it easier to get to my health potions

The redundancies in the weapons is pretty crappy. I think the whole weapon economy is quite shitty. They don't really create a good case as to why there's even rarity in the weapons.

The rarity is only for the upgrading and using new weapon types. It just means how many slots you can put upgrades onto the weapon, and also what additional ammo it can use. That's it.

And it's very easy to get the rarer weapons. You just need to get a heart or lens or whatever from a specific enemy and have enough money to buy it. You can even buy the special items from certain places in the large city.

It's not supposed to be super complicated. That's what I appreciate the most about it actually. Most open world games put me off so much because there is so much work involved with getting simple new weapons or upgrades. Horizon makes it clear and gives you access to this stuff almost whenever you want. The best weapons are available only like 6 hours into the game which is awesome.

It's very Zelda-like in that way, simplified.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Oh well. Level 50 and still at the lvl 12 main quest.

I definitely played this game the wrong way, but I am loving this game so, so much.

Over levelling is the only way to go. Level 20 here and just completed
The Nora's Revenge

I'm now going back to the Embrace to hunt and fish for materials to finish all my crafting. Then I'll think about maybe continuing the main story.

Button

Banned
Wow, this game. Wow!

The variety of different environments is staggering. Finally I reached the jungle, then the sun city, I love it! The game keeps me on the edge all the time.

13 hours in now. I just visited Olin's house, how much story do I have left approximately?

CHC

There's a lot of little dialogue details that are nice. If you are further in the main quest, NPCs that give side quests may greet you differently. You can also talk to a lot of people after finishing quests and they have little new lines to say, nothing major usually but still a nice little detail.

EGM1966

Great game, but killing like 8 boars and not collecting 1 boar bone is fucking stupid.
You're not wrong. It's not a biggie and overall the game is excellent but the random nature of animal carcass drops is beyond dumb.

You're literally looking at the animal skin while being told there is no animal skin.

I guess they were trying for some kind f balance but it's just poor design. The games immersive: cheating on stiff like this is just an obvious rough edge on an otherwise impeccable finish.

Falchion

Just got home and started playing with headphones............ oh my god it's so good. I feel so much more immersed in the world it isn't even funny.

Also I realized the last thing I did last night was buy all the blue rarity weapons at a vendor.........when he had purples for sale. Oh well, just going to grind out the next 3 levels to unlock the tinker skill then dismantle my mods and rebuy the purple ones.

Kalentan

If I calculated correctly, after I do the Downing the Grazer statues trophy, I will able to complete the game AND get the platinum trophy at the same time. First plat since Modern Warfare 2.

hbkdx12

The rarity is only for the upgrading and using new weapon types. It just means how many slots you can put upgrades onto the weapon, and also what additional ammo it can use. That's it.

And it's very easy to get the rarer weapons. You just need to get a heart or lens or whatever from a specific enemy and have enough money to buy it. You can even buy the special items from certain places in the large city.

It's not supposed to be super complicated. That's what I appreciate the most about it actually. Most open world games put me off so much because there is so much work involved with getting simple new weapons or upgrades. Horizon makes it clear and gives you access to this stuff almost whenever you want. The best weapons are available only like 6 hours into the game which is awesome.

It's very Zelda-like in that way, simplified.
That the thing, it's all so simple that there's no reason to classify the weapons based on rarity other than the fact that it's an "RPG". To me, a rarity suggest 2 things, nuance between weapon stats and a loot system. Horizon doesn't have either. There's never a reason to think about whether you want to use the blue sharpshot bow vs the purple sharpshot bow because the purple is objectively better in every way and given how easy it is to get, there's no point in even wasting time using lower tier weapons. You can take out the rarity system completely and nothing would be different.

I spent five minutes watching a Thunderjaw beat the shit out of/and say 'fuck you!' to trees. I don't know why he doesn't like the trees, but gawd, it was intimidating. Too scared to fight one yet. Sigh. I should get it over with.

I've only played a handful of third-person, open-world action games. The last being The Witcher 3.

Would it be safe to say the enemies in this game are the most vicious and intimidating? Even the weakest and slowest enemies can kill you if you're not paying attention. You don't get much time to react, and you almost always need a strategy going into a battle depending on what enemies you'll be facing and how many there are. There are times when you'll be up against three different enemy types with two each and it's absolutely bonkers. Beautiful chaos, but hard beautiful chaos.

Also - I'm not including Bloodborne or any of the Dark Souls games. I'm talking about huge open worlds that you can go anywhere from the get go.

Of all the open-world games I've played, it's definitely the most intimidated I've consistently felt by the enemies - and it's ultimately led to some of the most memorable organic gameplay moments I've had in a game in a long time. Even with some of the more mellower enemies it can still get a bit messy depending on the surroundings. I find with a lot of games, you start to get really overpowered and nothing concerns you by maybe the midway point, but due to the unpredictable nature of the enemies interacting with each other and the world, GG have done a great job of still keeping that threat level up regardless. It's so easy to have your plans go wrong, too: in my last game session alone, I had overridden a Shell Walker, and after it had destroyed one watcher, a Sawtooth landed on top of us. No idea where he'd come from. b) Trying to take down a Long Leg in a Cauldron, only to get a surprise Ravager join in, he must have come from outside my Focus range. c) Having to deal with five Scrappers to get at four Snapmaws. By the time I was done with the Snapmaws and trying to loot them, it changed to night and all the Scrappers respawned where all my unused traps were, so I had to go ahead and fight them. Exhausting, but amazing - and extremely memorable. That was in my last Horizon session alone, sheesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom