• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

george_us

"phenominal" gameplay, I'd say no? It borrows from FarCry, The Witcher and Assassin's Creed but executes it well soo I guess it depends if you find those games to have phenominal gameplay features.
Interesting. All of the reviews make it seem like Horizon's gameplay is one of the best of its type rather the sum of its parts.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
When dragon age inquisition came out, they also got very good score just like this one. But when you actually played it, it is boring as fuck after 10 hrs. Or do you think dragon age inquisition is actually good?

1. I did love DA:I.

2. This has been out a while from early deliveries/street date breaking and people here on GAF have put 50+ hours into and say they love it and that the story is great and the side quests aren't repetitive fetch quests like DA: I.

Tomb raider combat was very standard
Farcry is just a steaming pile of garbage
Witcher 3 combat was super clunky

Horizon's combat especially with the slow motion shooting and dodging puts it in a league of its own. It feels satisfying when you kill mechanical beasts.

And robot AI and the many attacks they have (and they look kinda awesome).

I have to wait until 10PM MST to have my preload from Amazon activated. I have some Kenyan coffee beans that I roasted ready to be crushed and run through the espresso machine. Today I warned my students that I'll be a touch haggard tomorrow. I hope they'll be kind (they seem to always be understanding when I warn them ahead of time of game releases and concerts). I plan on not exhibiting self control and gaming way too late if the game is as engaging as I hope it to be.

1. I did love DA:I.

2. This has been out a while from early deliveries/street date breaking and people here on GAF have put 50+ hours into and say they love it and that the story is great and the side quests aren't repetitive fetch quests like DA: I.

oh nice, thanks for the info. I might read some more about their opinions.

Zok310

Banned
I think I hyped myself even more doing this

Quite a few posters in the impressions thread mentioned Red Dead vibes. I didn't get the comparison, but after seeing the recent screenshots in the Review thread, it's clear now

Red Dead has been unmatched in making wilderness exciting to explore, and nailing those gorgeous natural vistas, but I'm thinking it might have been topped. Can't wait to find out

Totally agree with the RDR vibe.

shiba5

[NaK];231143183 said:
I've played roughly four hours and Im completely in love.
Really don't want to go to bed, but I have to go to work in seven hours... Sigh.

Best nighttime atmosphere in a game, ever?
horizonzerodawn_201701qkfh.png

This is beautiful and truly dark. I was worried it was going to be almost bright as day with a green filter.

I had to go to GameStop to pick up a number so I can go back at 9:00 and pick up the actual game. /sigh

If you stripped the game off its graphics, would it still have phenomenal gameplay to support it?

Yes it would, it's so much fun to fight the machines in this.

I would say no. Gameplay is quite a bit like in Tomb Raider reboots, with some obvious differences. Gameplay of HZ wont set world on fire, but has good graphics and very interesting world.

Disagree, when fighting humans maybe a bit, but as for combat against machines, heck no. Controls in this aren't sluggish like in Tomb Raider, and also combat is way more fun here.

• You can sneak around and do stealth kills or go for face
  • You gather sticks, berries, hides, duct tape etc. from different sources
  • You have crafting menus and system very similar to what TR and FC is doing. Gathering goes directly to this, along with trading
  • Etc.
There is a lot similarities. Horizon's combat is a lot more movement based which is good.

You're listing some pretty basic features found in a lot of games, none of those are exclusive to Tomb Raider.

Horizon's precise combat mechanics and unique robot dinosaurs (as a package) are unlikely anything in the gaming market.

Wagram

Yeah I had to quit the game and reload in order for the game to get past that load screen. Will likely need to be checked up on GG. Some sort of infinite "copying" load screen.

Tovarisc

You're listing some pretty basic features found in a lot of games, none of those are exclusive to Tomb Raider.

Horizon's precise combat mechanics and unique robot dinosaurs (as a package) are unlikely anything in the gaming market.

Tomb Raider reboots just first come into mind when looking at HZ's core gameplay loop. HZ has obvious benefits like mobile combat system which makes it far more interesting that covershooter TR's.

Fail! I hope this gets patched ASAP.

Yeah, little weird design decision.

Seriously why is PS4 downloads so slow? 8 hours... Nothing should ever take that long for me. Tells me i have 88mb download but 8 hours... Was going to stream tonight, but i suppose not. #annoyed

Squall516

Woot Just got my copy delivered by UPS from BB. Cant wait to start playing. Anyone got any extra pre order bonus codes form gamestop or something tho i can have? really wanted those to play with but I got the game for $30 bucks through BB so i bought it from them lol. Any tips or something i should know about when starting out the game?

Okay, I caved. Got a lot of homework and I don't want to stop my first playthrough for Zelda on Friday, but I went ahead and just preordered digitally. Should be good to go by 9PM!

Worst case scenario I abandon this game completely and come back in two weeks during my spring break.

Best Buy came through clutch yet again and I got my copy a day early, now I just have to decide whether I'm going to start it now or wait to finish Zelda first...

Tomb Raider reboots just first come into mind when looking at HZ's core gameplay loop. HZ has obvious benefits like mobile combat system which makes it far more interesting that covershooter TR's.

I think you're getting mixed up between combat gameplay loop and general gameplay progression.

xviper

played the game for 5 hours now

well, it's Okay at best, kinda disappointing though

the graphics is great but i still prefer Witcher 3's art style

the combat is very disappointing and feels very limited ( maybe because i'm just 5 hours in and it may evolve later on)

the side quests are limited, i only found 2 and they are very short

the dialogue system is useless, there is only 1 option to progress and the rest are optional and can go back to( there are rare times when you have only 3 options to progress) they should have just made it a normal cutscene

in the journal you can see that there are only
enemy types in the game and that is laughable for an Open world game ( i don't know if that's the whole number of enemies but i hope there is more )

overall i'm enjoying it but not as much as i thought i would, will continue tomorrow and see how it goes, hope it gets much better

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Im starting my playthrough of it now :) any tips?

Take your time. I'm 30 hours in and have only just started breaking open the main story - some really intriguing stuff. Excited to see where they take it.

Also, I think I just saw one of the impressive graphical mic drops of this generation. Volumetric clouds? You're doing god's work GG.In case you're wondering it's the
Faro Building

J_Viper

Not trying to bring any negative vibes here before launch but man, fighting human opponents is so lame in this, especially compared to how thrilling combat is with the machines.

And whoever it was who compared the Bandit Outposts to MGSV is a damn fool. It's even easier here than it is in Far Cry. The human enemies are brain dead.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
enemy types in the game and that is laughable for an Open world game ( i don't know if that's the whole number of enemies but i hope there is more )

Most open world games come nowhere close to the unique enemy count of Horizon.

So many of the different machine enemies make for incredible, high stress fights. After every encounter with many of the different enemies I need to take a breath.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Not trying to bring any negative vibes here before launch but man, fighting human opponents is so lame in this, especially compared to how thrilling combat is with the machines.

And whoever it was who compared the Bandit Outposts to MGSV is a damn fool. It's even easier here than it is in Far Cry. The human enemies are brain dead.

That was me. I've put about 150 hours into MGSV and I stand by it. As I said at the time, it 's not on the same level MGS, but much closer to that than the TW3's hack-and-slash bandit camps.

Ken Adams

Thats a shame. Hopefully there are more than enough dinos to kill.

played the game for 5 hours now

well, it's Okay at best, kinda disappointing though

the graphics is great but i still prefer Witcher 3's art style

the combat is very disappointing and feels very limited ( maybe because i'm just 5 hours in and it may evolve later on)

the side quests are limited, i only found 2 and they are very short

the dialogue system is useless, there is only 1 option to progress and the rest are optional and can go back to( there are rare times when you have only 3 options to progress) they should have just made it a normal cutscene

overall i'm enjoying it but not as much as i thought i would, will continue tomorrow and see how it goes, hope it gets much better
Every time I read your posts I get irritated. How on earth is 26 different enemies laughable?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
you're probably comparing it to Ubisoft open world games

try comparing it to The witcher 3 and see how it goes

The Witcher 3 comes nowhere close in enemy variety. Most enemies are just different character models with the same couple of moves and perhaps a gimmick attack.

J_Viper

That was me. I've put about 150 hours into MGSV and I stand by it. As I said at the time, it 's not on the same level MGS, but much closer to that than the TW3's hack-and-slash bandit camps.

Just to clear this up, I hope you know I was being facetious with that remark, I meant nothing personal!

But any way, I just don't see how. Think of all the options Snake has available, along with all the variations in the hostile AI. There's none of that in Horizon.

Strange to bring up TW3, no? I mean, that game doesn't pretend to be anything but an action game, so of course the only option would be to hack-and-slash

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
you're probably comparing it to Ubisoft open world games

try comparing it to The witcher 3 and see how it goes

Love me The Witcher 3, but it's enemies were no where near as diverse or complex as HZD. The bigger enemies only appeared in a hand full of places and certain enemies (The Grave Hag) only appeared once that I found in two playthroughs. HZD is going quality over quantity and the combat is much more engaging. On top of this you also have human enemies with several different weapon variants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom