• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sidney Morning Herald Review - 9.0

Nothing changed at MC yet, one step away from 8.9. Edge should change that.

I knew Horizon Zero Dawn was going to be visually impressive. I knew it was going to be huge, filled with robots and gear upgrades and quests, and I knew that at the very least it had the markings of a game with something interesting to say. But I didn't expect this.

Horizon has all those things but it also has heart. It goes places I never could have expected, and that's true in an epistemological sense, in a philosophical and an emotional sense as well as in terms of the places protagonist Aloy literally adventures to.

Finally, the game quite simply has some of the most picturesque landscapes and evocative locations ever seen in a video game, with just enough of the fantastical coming through in the robot designs and technological elements to offset the gritty realism of the people and places

Pretty good review, go read it.

Also, it seems that everyone is surprised by this game, might very well be the surprise of the year for many people.

The Ummah

Banned
Delivering through USPS this time instead of FedEX, no morning arrival for me. The screens/gifs posted have been amazing so far, I can't wait to jump in!!!

Tovarisc

I was simply questioning your comparison and thought we were having a fairly reasonable discussion. But, not to worry.

Just when looking at how game plays in its core loop it makes me think TR Reboots. How movement is done. How collecting, crafting and upgrading is done. How leveling, skills / talents, is done. I don't have any good answer for it, just when looking at the HZ's loop it makes me think TR Reboot.

Even with additions like dialogue system and far more interesting combat.

It isn't that bow tho :D

Will see if my view changes tomorrow or Wednesday, depending on if I can score early copy tomorrow.

Isn't it weird that it didn't even change a bit? As if the publication is worth absolutely nothing on Metacritic :s

A little, but there's so many reviews already that a 9 should probably change nothing considering the game is at 8.8. Anyway, Edge will bump it and there's still PlayStation Magazine UK and AU left, I'm sure those publications won't give the game anything less than a 9. :p

tdrdrgn

I was simply questioning your comparison and thought we were having a fairly reasonable discussion. But, not to worry.

What is it that you take issue with? Multiple people in this thread who have played the game have said it reminds them of Tomb Raider. A game which pretty much has a metacrtic of 85+. thats a good thing.

Bane

Is anyone with a pro noticing much of a change between performance and resolution modes? I've switched between them a few times and am not seeing much of a difference.

Loudninja

What is it that you take issue with? Multiple people in this thread who have played the game have said it reminds them of Tomb Raider. A game which pretty much has a metacrtic of 85+. thats a good thing.
There is a big difference between looking like TR and playing like it.

Lemondish

For what it's worth, you came off as being intentionally obtuse during that discussion.

But I don't think the discussion needs to end, either. This also reminds me of the gameplay found in the gathering hubs of RotTR, and it's mostly because of what the poster described as the gameplay loop. Gather to craft ammo that's used to fight to gain XP and materials to build better ammo and tools that you'll need to gather more things and craft gear. It's a simple comparison because it, by the very nature of a gameplay loop, doesn't really take into account all the other things about Horizon that improve the experience, but I think it makes sense.

Bane

df said that they barely detected a difference. pick the one that looks the best

hopefully not story wise

Thanks for the info. As to your worries about the story, I'm only about four hours in but so far the characters and dialogue are looking to be much better than TR.

B00TE

The story is really god damn good, I'm surprised at how invested I am after 3 or so hours. Didn't expect it to grab me this much.

reKon

Banned
Do 10% of the people who preorder just happen to get the game early? I barely pre-order games for launch, but I feel like I never get them a day early :/

Agent

Amazon just shipped my copy out, but it's coming via Amazon Logistics; aka their in-house delivery service. I've had nothing but negative experiences with their delivery service so now I'm a bit nervous about being able to play tomorrow. Ugh, I hope they actually come through for once.

Squall516

So I just got up to where you can first use your points to learn new skills. Anyone have any tips on what they would recommend would be useful early on to learn more over other stuff? I have 3 skill points. Or save them?

Giolon

Amazon delivered my CE a day early today. I was going to stream it for my friend, but it says "Cannot use the selected feature with this application." Is this like a temporary pre-release block or is it permanent like with the Tales series?

Amazon delivered my CE a day early today. I was going to stream it for my friend, but it says "Cannot use the selected feature with this application." Is this like a temporary pre-release block or is it permanent like with the Tales series?

Yeah, I think you will be able to at midnight.

Squall516

Just use it on whatever you'd like.

lol that isnt exactly helpful. I havent play enough of the game to know what id like to use it on or what would be helpful. I like like the gatherer one might be pretty useful. So would the slow time while shooting one too. But was just curious if there would be like a prefered order to unlock skills in or something based on like what you encounter in the game early on. If its not that difficult early on i wouldnt think you really need like big attack skills and would benefit more from like gathering or stealth or something. And people have played this quite a bit on here apparently. So just wanted some input on what they thought was actually really useful or if they would have picked something different early on with what they know now?

Just when looking at how game plays in its core loop it makes me think TR Reboots. How movement is done. How collecting, crafting and upgrading is done. How leveling, skills / talents, is done. I don't have any good answer for it, just when looking at the HZ's loop it makes me think TR Reboot.

Even with additions like dialogue system and far more interesting combat.

I sort of understand what you're saying and for you it might be similar to RotTR but I don't agree with your opinion, and I'm sure you're fine with that.

I mean Aloy has the ability to hack and mount a robot for traversal and combat. That alone is enough to set itself apart from RotTR's loop, in my opinion.

It isn't that bow tho :D

Will see if my view changes tomorrow or Wednesday, depending on if I can score early copy tomorrow.

I was just joking about the bow :p

Have fun with the game.

A little, but there's so many reviews already that a 9 should probably change nothing considering the game is at 8.8. Anyway, Edge will bump it and there's still PlayStation Magazine UK and AU left, I'm sure those publications won't give the game anything less than a 9. :p

Yeah I definitely see Edge bumping it closer to a 90 Meta :)

I take "issue" with the comparison because it doesn't remind me of RotTR. It's not a big deal, we all have our opinions.

For what it's worth, you came off as being intentionally obtuse during that discussion.

That's nice. I guess questioning a comparison nets you an intentionally obtuse medal. I wasn't insensitive towards the poster or slow in my understanding of the situation.

But I don't think the discussion needs to end, either. This also reminds me of the gameplay found in the gathering hubs of RotTR, and it's mostly because of what the poster described as the gameplay loop. Gather to craft ammo that's used to fight to gain XP and materials to build better ammo and tools that you'll need to gather more things and craft gear. It's a simple comparison because it, by the very nature of a gameplay loop, doesn't really take into account all the other things about Horizon that improve the experience, but I think it makes sense.

Maybe you missed the part where the poster in question considers the quests, combat, gathering and crafting a part of the core gameplay loop.

lol that isnt exactly helpful. I havent play enough of the game to know what id like to use it on or what would be helpful. I like like the gatherer one might be pretty useful. So would the slow time while shooting one too. But was just curious if there would be like a prefered order to unlock skills in or something based on like what you encounter in the game early on. If its not that difficult early on i wouldnt think you really need like big attack skills and would benefit more from like gathering or stealth or something. And people have played this quite a bit on here apparently. So just wanted some input on what they thought was actually really useful or if they would have picked something different early on with what they know now?

I haven't even gotten any potions to upgrade skills, unless I missed something, but the slow down time when you aim down the sights is very valuable.

tdrdrgn

So I just got up to where you can first use your points to learn new skills. Anyone have any tips on what they would recommend would be useful early on to learn more over other stuff? I have 3 skill points. Or save them?

you only need to spend 1 point on all the crucial skills. silent strike to sneak instant kill, critical hit for when you down a enemy and concentration for precision shots. i think you should focus on prowler or brave. you get enough stuff while scavenging. the tinker skill might be useful later on but its not worth investing early for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom