• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
played the game for 5 hours now

well, it's Okay at best, kinda disappointing though

the graphics is great but i still prefer Witcher 3's art style

the combat is very disappointing and feels very limited ( maybe because i'm just 5 hours in and it may evolve later on)

the side quests are limited, i only found 2 and they are very short

the dialogue system is useless, there is only 1 option to progress and the rest are optional and can go back to( there are rare times when you have only 3 options to progress) they should have just made it a normal cutscene

in the journal you can see that there are only
enemy types in the game and that is laughable for an Open world game ( i don't know if that's the whole number of enemies but i hope there is more )

overall i'm enjoying it but not as much as i thought i would, will continue tomorrow and see how it goes, hope it gets much better
Weird gripes..Enemy variety is crazy, the 26 have variations, and 26 different unique enemies is kinda a lot to me, dunno what you're talking about there, but yea...

Get out of the main area, the game opens up a lot. Play on Hard or very hard, combat definitely opens up.

Honestly until you get out of the start area and even more so to the huge section of the map, can you truly gauge or see the scope of the encounters and enemies. Hitting the main portion of the map almost felt like a brand new experience for me.

Just had a battle with 5 different types of machines at once, you guys watching streams and making judgements about gameplay seriously need to play the game in order to see how exhilarating it is.

Nothing we haven't seen before, but for those who are sensitive about spoilers of machine names here's what I fought, each of them unique which made it all the more awesome
Stormbird, Snapmaw, Longleg, Broadhead, Sawtooth

ajanke

Noticed when the game is running the PS4 is pretty quiet. But if I go to maps for a few minutes the fans turn on super high

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Witcher_3_monsters

I know there is some uniques in there and some are different types of same race, but even then it's very respectable number and does come close.

Most of those enemies just look a little different and are fought and react exactly the same. Fight a griffin and you have fought every flying enemy above the size of a harpy. Having half a dozen drowner clones isn't very impressive to me.

Loudninja

Just had a battle with 5 different types of machines at once, you guys watching streams and making judgements about gameplay seriously need to play the game in order to see how exhilarating it is.

Nothing we haven't seen before, but for those who are sensitive about spoilers of machine names here's what I fought, each of them unique which made it all the more awesome

Damn 5 types lol how far are you in the game?

Just finished the first hourish and got to the
Aloy grows up montage

The beginning is so touching. It's a lot more heartfelt than I thought it would be for this type of game.

And I swear...
If something bad happens to Rost, I will straight up murder everyone even remotely involved

Jobbs

Banned
Man I decided I just wanted to play this tonight so I'd go digital.. But the preload speed is so fuckin slow it may not even be done before TOMORROW is over. >:|

What a joke PSN is. The speed is unforgivably slow. Like -- It'll take 60 hours at this rate slow.

CHC

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Witcher_3_monsters

I know there is some uniques in there and some are different types of same race, but even then it's very respectable number and does come close.

Just eyeballing it, Witcher III and Horizon seem about equal in terms of enemy variety. Witcher III had tons of different named enemies but a lot shared movesets with only slight changes (ghouls / alghouls, all wraith types more or less the same, etc).

Still I think both are admirable in terms of variety. Not really seeing a point in pitting them against one another.

Man I decided I just wanted to play this tonight so I'd go digital.. But the preload speed is so fuckin slow it may not even be done before TOMORROW is over. >:|

What a joke PSN is. The speed is unforgivably slow. Like -- It'll take 60 hours at this rate slow.

Yo. gamestop selling it at 9pm.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Just to clear this up, I hope you know I was being facetious with that remark, I meant nothing personal!

But any way, I just don't see how. Think of all the options Snake has available, along with all the variations in the hostile AI. There's none of that in Horizon.

Strange to bring up TW3, no? I mean, that game doesn't pretend to be anything but an action game, so of course the only option would be to hack-and-slash

My original comment was made with reference to TW3, which is my point.

And yes HZD doesn't offer the absurd number or variantions, but it's an open world game action game that still has the same tactical marking systems, stealthing or open combat options, distraction and bating techniques, traps, take downs from above/below, enemy alert levels, alarms that call reinforcements, sets of gear which improve camouflage and quieten footfalls vs. damage resistance, etc, etc.

They're not identical and the AI grantedly isn't as strong (Kojima's had 30 to perfect this) but you make it sound like though I'd made some absurd comparison - likening it to Halo 5 or Resident Evil 7.

Mifune

Mehmber

Did you try pausing and then unpausing? You might get better speeds. There's no way it should take 60 hours to download.

I consider combat to be part of general gameplay loop if game features a lot combat, along with gatheting, questing and crafting.

So I'm trying to understand why Horizon reminds you more of RotTR because everything you have mentioned is found in Dragon Age, The Witcher 3, etc.

RotTR is not set in a seamless open world
RotTR doesn't include multiples dialogue options
RotTR doesn't include giant moving robotic "towers"
RotTR is extremely limited in unique enemy types and variants

Is it the bow?

Noticed when the game is running the PS4 is pretty quiet. But if I go to maps for a few minutes the fans turn on super high

The menu run at 60fps.

Ok so I fixed my download on PS4.

1. Changed DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

This took it from 24 hours to 8 hours. Still absurd for 88mbdl.

2. I put it in rest mode. This didnt seem to help at all.

3. I paused and resumed the dload. it took it from 8 to 4 hour. Then i paused and resumed again. Its now at 90 minutes...

There is a reason i am not a big fan of PS Network. I have always had issues with it. Hope this helps anybody who is having similar issues as me though.

Wagram

Playing on Very Hard has been fun so far. The machines are dangerous and if you don't play smart they will kill you. It's a mix of Witcher, TLOU, Tomb Raider, and Skyrim.

Dam son! sounds spectacular.

Tovarisc

So I'm trying to understand why Horizon reminds you more of RotTR because everything you have mentioned is found in Dragon Age, The Witcher 3, etc.

RotTR is not set in a seamless open world
RotTR doesn't include multiples dialogue options
RotTR doesn't include giant moving robotic "towers"
RotTR is extremely limited in unique enemy types and variants

Is it the bow?

Dialogue can be part of core gameplay loop if there is a lot of it, but other things on your list don't have much to do with core gameplay loop.

It isn't the bow.

I've sunk about 3 hours into the game so far and I absolutely love it. I've been using stealth approach for the enemies thus far and it's pretty great.

The side quests are pretty good too. The dialogue choices system is more like Witcher or Bethesda games, I can choose to gather more information or just go straight to business.

There's also Batman/Witcher-like follow the trails sequence lol.

Hi, can you give an early impression, specifically about the quests & crafting system?

Crafting system is simple, there are a few times where you need to destroy specific enemies to acquire items to buy better outfits and weapons. Gathering resources gets as complicated as if you want to acquire more Blaze then you shouldn't blow up the canisters the enemy has on its back.

Quests have all been enjoyable so far, all the sidequests I have encountered have a story behind them and usually lead you down paths to different enemies, you don't do anything really different in them, and they all usually have a similar set up, at least so far. The main quest is engaging and has you doing things in a more linear fashion a few of the times, haven;t gotten too far in that either. There are these things called errands as well, that are smaller side missions, usually don't have that much story behind them. Overall sidequest wise it reminds me of Witcher 3, there a bit too many follow this trail quests that Witcher was also guilty of.

I started downloading this afternoon, and it estimated 27hours...and I have 200mbs internet. PSN sucks.

Jobbs

Banned
Ok so I fixed my download on PS4.

1. Changed DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

This took it from 24 hours to 8 hours. Still absurd for 88mbdl.

2. I put it in rest mode. This didnt seem to help at all.

3. I paused and resumed the dload. it took it from 8 to 4 hour. Then i paused and resumed again. Its now at 90 minutes...

There is a reason i am not a big fan of PS Network. I have always had issues with it. Hope this helps anybody who is having similar issues as me though.

Okay, I did this. It went from 60 hour sto 5 hours. I'll take it. Thanks!

edit: also it seemed that closing my suspended game helped, but I'm not positive of that

Dialogue can be part of core gameplay loop if there is a lot of it, but other things on your list don't have much to do with core gameplay loop.

It isn't the bow.

There is over 10 hours of dialogue in Horizon.

If you consider combat to be part of the general gameplay loop then you must also acknowledge the difference between RotTR and Horizon's enemy variety, variation and how that affects the overall gameplay.

Tallnecks are part of the optional gameplay progression loop.

You sure it isn't the bow?

hairygreenpeas

Neo Member
Amazon finally shipped my copy early this morning! I hope It arrives at a reasonable time because I want to sink at least an hour or two into the game to partially satisfy my thirst lol.

I also ended up watching the story and the launch trailers for the first time today - now my brain can't stop thinking about how the narrative unfolds! I have so many questions!

Tovarisc

There is over 10 hours of dialogue in Horizon.

If you consider combat to be part of the general gameplay loop then you must also acknowledge the difference between RotTR and Horizon's enemy variety, variation and how that affects the overall gameplay.

Tallnecks are part of the optional gameplay progression loop.

You sure it isn't the bow?

Why it bothers you so much that my brain thinks Tomb Raider reboots when looking at HZ movement, gathering, crafting, leveling..?

J_Viper

Kinda tempted to get this tomorrow. Is it as good as Witcher 3 was?

The mechanics are a whole lot smoother, and I'd say there's more variety to the actual combat. Range combat is where it's at though, melee combat is sloppy and not very satisfying.

They both have unrewarding leveling systems, Horizon has a boring skill tree ala Shadow of Mordow, while TW3 was ridiculously restrictive for no reason.

From a presentation stand point, TW3 is still on another level. The writing is a bit flat in Horizon, and aside from Ashly Burch (who's excellent as Aloy), the voice work doesn't get any better than okay.

I'd say it's closer to a Ubisoft game than TW3. That's not to say it's bad however, I'm having a ton of fun with it.

My original comment was made with reference to TW3, which is my point.

And yes HZD doesn't offer the absurd number or variantions, but it's an open world game action game that still has the same tactical marking systems, stealthing or open combat options, distraction and bating techniques, traps, take downs from above/below, enemy alert levels, alarms that call reinforcements, sets of gear which improve camouflage and quieten footfalls vs. damage resistance, etc, etc.

They're not identical and the AI grantedly isn't as strong (Kojima's had 30 to perfect this) but you make it sound like though I'd made some absurd comparison - likening it to Halo 5 or Resident Evil 7.

Here's the thing though dude, it has been five years since Far Cry 3, those elements (that I've highlighted) have been done already. There's nothing exciting about anything from that list because we've seen it all done before. Horizon doesn't really do anything new or interesting with those mechanics listed.

There's also no reason to use those other options and not to just hide in a bush and head shot all the dudes in a camp.

There's certainly variation in the combat against machines. The same can't be said for the humans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom