• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
C6VlgA4XMAE9Msf.jpg:large

Newman96

Not too far into the game yet, done a few a couple of the main quests after it opens up. However I feel like I'm missing out with my inventory filling up quickly, should I upgrade asap?

Not too far into the game yet, done a few a couple of the main quests after it opens up. However I feel like I'm missing out with my inventory filling up quickly, should I upgrade asap?

My inventory space was frequently a burden until I realized that hunting animals is the way you are going to get the stuff you need to upgrade your inventory space--rather easily.

Kill boars, foxes, rabbits, etc from time to time. You come across them constantly.

Wagram

Finished at 63 hours with the Platinum. Easily GG's best game and I love Killzone. Not a flawless experience by any means, but the story it told was fantastic. Great characters, music, graphics, etc. 9/10. GOTY for me so far and that's surprising considering how great Gravity Rush 2 and Nioh were.

It will be tough for Zelda to top this for my tastes, but I'll find out! If it is better I win.

Wollan

I will write up my thoughts in the next few days having completed the game now, need to explore more side content, but I believe this to potentially be Sony's best 1st party game since... Gran Turismo 1? Just a standout in all respects.

ubiblu

So, Breath of the Wild is pretty much my new favourite game ever. I held off grabbing Horizon until after I beat Zelda, which I've now done. I have a PS4 Pro and will likely get Horizon tomorrow after work (4 day weekend). Pretty psyched.

For people who own both games, are they dissimilar enough to greatly appreciate each, or has one overshadowed your enjoyment of the other? No trolling, just genuinely curious.

Phediuk

So, Breath of the Wild is pretty much my new favourite game ever. I held off grabbing Horizon until after I beat Zelda, which I've now done. I have a PS4 Pro and will likely get Horizon tomorrow after work (4 day weekend). Pretty psyched.

For people who own both games, are they dissimilar enough to greatly appreciate each, or has one overshadowed your enjoyment of the other? No trolling, just genuinely curious.

Yeah, I wish the combat in Zelda was more like Horizon.

I'm around 40hours into HZD, around 40% completion according to the stats, enjoying the game tremendously, but like many of you, I do feel the side quests are a bit bland, weak plot/characters/variety in general, most of them just have you chasing the purple track with some fights in the end.

I played a bit of Witcher 3 before (maybe around 10hours), but the game was bigger than what I had time for, so I never went back to it. If the side quests are much better than HZD like you guys are saying, I might just have to go back to TW3. But Mass Effect is coming soon!! So little time!!

AlexIIDX

I kept getting distracted and I finally just entered the first Cauldron, and holy shit this looks incredible. I can't stop going into photo mode. This is unreal.

I'm around 40hours into HZD, around 40% completion according to the stats, enjoying the game tremendously, but like many of you, I do feel the side quests are a bit bland, weak plot/characters/variety in general, most of them just have you chasing the purple track with some fights in the end.

I played a bit of Wticher 3 before (maybe around 10hours), but the game was bigger than what I had time for, so I never went back to it. If the side quests are much better than HZD like you guys are saying, I might just have to go back to TW3. But Mass Effect is coming soon!! So little time!!

Yeah the side missions are just OK. There are some standouts but otherwise, yeah, W3 did them better. But the 2nd half of the game really opens up with the story. Like, holy shit. I don't want to spoil anything, but yeah. It goes to 100 real quick. I was doing what you are, sticking to mostly side content, but I hit a certain point in the story where I just HAD to know what was going to happen. It was so griping.

I've spent a lot more time with Horizon than BotW thus far (Horizon is the priority, don't want to get spoiled on the story!), but I think they both noticeably set out to achieve very different things, and both succeed. For me, Horizon's strengths are story/voice work, combat, world building, and enemy design. Meanwhile, BotW's just dropped you into this incredible, beautiful sandbox of interactive adventure like no other, with so many ways to engage with it. I also think they both succeed at level design in different ways - Horizon has a fantastic density, whilst BotW is more sparse, but purposefully designed to draw the eye. Both approaches are great. I think they've both set a strong precident in different ways for open world games: I'm going to have a hard time getting excited in other open world games after the exhilarating standard for combat and enemies Horizon has set. A lot of games in general, honestly. Likewise, after spending time with BotW and going back to Horizon, I miss the player agency and interactive freedom with the world.

I'm very, very much looking forward to digging into BotW, seeing it jump to the top of so many Gaffers GOAT lists is fantastic. I'm glad there is a place (and desire) for story driven open world games and more interactive sandbox games. It's nice to have to different gameplay itches scratched over just one week, let alone some upcoming Nier/Platinum goodness. I feel quite spoilt for choice.

ubiblu

I've spent a lot more time with Horizon than BotW thus far (Horizon is the priority, don't want to get spoiled on the story!), but I think they both noticeably set out to achieve very different things, and both succeed. For me, Horizon's strengths are story/voice work, combat, world building, and enemy design. Meanwhile, BotW's just dropped you into this incredible, beautiful sandbox of interactive adventure like no other, with so many ways to engage with it. I also think they both succeed at level design in different ways - Horizon has a fantastic density, whilst BotW is more sparse, but purposefully designed to draw the eye. Both approaches are great. I think they've both set a strong precident in different ways for open world games: I'm going to have a hard time getting excited in other open world games after the exhilarating standard for combat and enemies Horizon has set. A lot of games in general, honestly. Likewise, after spending time with BotW and going back to Horizon, I miss the player agency and interactive freedom with the world.

I'm very, very much looking forward to digging into BotW, seeing it jump to the top of so many Gaffers GOAT lists is fantastic. I'm glad there is a place (and desire) for story driven open world games and more interactive sandbox games. It's nice to have to different gameplay itches scratched over just one week, let alone some upcoming Nier/Platinum goodness. I feel quite spoilt for choice.

Thanks mate, great summary and has me excited to dig into Horizon with no real knowledge of what to expect.

Yeah the side missions are just OK. There are some standouts but otherwise, yeah, W3 did them better. But the 2nd half of the game really opens up with the story. Like, holy shit. I don't want to spoil anything, but yeah. It goes to 100 real quick. I was doing what you are, sticking to mostly side content, but I hit a certain point in the story where I just HAD to know what was going to happen. It was so griping.

That's how I was, once you find out
what zero dawn is
I had to keep playing story missions I was hooked. It's been a while since a games story just hooked me that way.

Loudninja

Btw the patch fixes crashes,besides the one mention in the opening I have not seen any mention?

Its good that they are on it though.

Loudninja

Hi all,

In addition to the recent patch we just released a hotfix that solves a couple outstanding balancing issues:

• Reduced the Carja Storm Hunter outfit damage reduction to 5% (previously 90%)
  • Reduced total amount of discs from the Thunderjaw Disc Launcher to 8 (previously 12)

We want to make sure you have a fun and challenging experience. Be sure to keep an eye on our channels for future updates on patches and balancing fixes.
https://www.reddit.com/r/horizon/comments/5y1xbr/balancing_hotfix/

Reduced the Carja Storm Hunter outfit damage reduction to 5% (previously 90%)
Lol 90%. I wonder if most people who use the outfit realize it. It's kinda game breaking in a way.

Reduced total amount of discs from the Thunderjaw Disc Launcher to 8 (previously 12)
So they finally nerved Thunderjaw weapon.

It's somewhat weird indeed that the machine that's supposed to be the most intimidating can be defeated with ease.

As the machine that's the most featured in lots of their promotion and video (it's a goddamn T-Rex), it's certainly underwhelming.

Jobbs

Banned
this gif reveals the biggest problem Horizon has:
No water ripple/interaction animations.

4SHAME

I noticed this the first time I saw water.

It's ironic that this is pretty much the one AAA game to have bad water when it's king in basically every other area.

Also the human combat (especially meleeing humans) is so janky and half baked it's startling

Zackat

you could kill the thunderjaw with one of his guns in like 15 seconds if you froze him then unloaded a full clip of the disc launcher. with 8 I think you will have to get the second one even with them being frozen.

they are still wayy too easy compared to rockbreakers and stormbirds. even behemoths are harder than them, imo.

That's how I was, once you find out
what zero dawn is
I had to keep playing story missions I was hooked. It's been a while since a games story just hooked me that way.
I just got to Meridian and
ransacked Olin's house, Erend asked me to avenge his sister
but I haven't started the quest yet. Am I close to the story ramming up to 11? If I am, I will push through with the main quest first. I usually just like to clean up on the side stuff first so I don't miss anything, and my attention in a game nosedives pretty fast after I finish the main quest.

Also, do we ever find out why
Rost was casted out
? Or did I miss it?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm on a main quest called To Curse The Darkness. About how many main quests are there? Thinking of just blasting through the rest of the story.

17 hours in, level 23 got to Meridian, haven't touched the main quest for that area yet though. It's like once I got there I kind of just started doing random other shit and I'm still having a blast with this. I was actually clearing up earlier quests from the beginning of the game that I ignored and I'm trying to get the Tinker ability, got one more level left. Now with my knowledge and over riding ability I'm using that more. Having a robo pal either distract or tag team stuff is a lot of fun. Though I should probably time that shit better. Can't be doing that while in a pack of other things. Got a Sawtooth to fight another Sawtooth, Snapmaws are no problem now, Scrappers are cake. Though I'm worried about the bigger shit though. One thing I do realize it that once you get used to fighting an enemy you stop fearing it and just let your mind figure out how you're going to bring it down. Also one I'm low on metal shards I just start looking at the game like a Metal Gear Solid game and just start figuring out how I'm going to sneak behind them and silent attack them. Game is so fun, using traps to fuck over enemies and exploiting it. Tripcaster is getting more use now.

you could kill the thunderjaw with one of his guns in like 15 seconds if you froze him then unloaded a full clip of the disc launcher. with 8 I think you will have to get the second one even with them being frozen.

they are still wayy too easy compared to rockbreakers and stormbirds. even behemoths are harder than them, imo.

Yeah, they need to actually buff the Thunderjaw, like give them more resistance.

They're so easy to exploit. Easily frozen, easily limped, easily corrupted, and easily taken down by ropes.

I just got to Meridian and
ransacked Olin's house, Erend asked me to avenge his sister
but I haven't started the quest yet. Am I close to the story ramming up to 11? If I am, I will push through with the main quest first. I usually just like to clean up on the side stuff first so I don't miss anything, and my attention in a game nosedives pretty fast after I finish the main quest.

Also, do we ever find out why
Rost was casted out
? Or did I miss it?

yes and yes. although you have to go back and talk to someone once the story is complete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom