• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalentan

Lol 90%. I wonder if most people who use the outfit realize it. It's kinda game breaking in a way.

I used it for far too long. I did begin to notice something was up when I had to turn it to Very hard early on to get the enemies to do a bit of damage. Once I learned it was due to a glitch, I used it for a little longer but then switched to a very rare outfit

Also is it impossible for Horizon to still reach a 90 MC or 89? D:

23qwerty

I just got to Meridian and
ransacked Olin's house, Erend asked me to avenge his sister
but I haven't started the quest yet. Am I close to the story ramming up to 11? If I am, I will push through with the main quest first. I usually just like to clean up on the side stuff first so I don't miss anything, and my attention in a game nosedives pretty fast after I finish the main quest.

Also, do we ever find out why
Rost was casted out
? Or did I miss it?
wasn't it by choice so he could take care of Aloy? They do say near the beginning he's an outcast by choice.

KorrZ

Finished the game tonight. 24 hours and I literally did 1 cauldron (the first) and 1 side quests to completion.

Not bad at all - definitely a meaty game. Loved the story and the world, combat is definitely exhilarating but it is a bit disappointing that they don't really use the variety of enemies they have available AT ALL in the course of the main story. Would have loved to dig into more side quests but I rushed through the game as I'm leaving on a vacation tomorrow. Will definitely check back into this world when I get back.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Most disappointing game I played this year. Could been a great game except the garbage bow combat. Was expecting an rpg not a twitch shooter with bullet sponge monsters. Gave up after spending over 2 hours on the first cauldron. Love every thing else about the game. Not good at shooting while rolling and running with a controller. I thought the division had bullet sponges this takes the cake. Shame to love the stealth and everything else.

Ulong

Bullet sponge was the worst term to ever enter gamer vernacular. While it is perfectly reasonable to not enjoy this game, having tough to kill enemies is not some inherent design flaw.

you have to go back and talk to someone once the story is complete

That's not accurate, you can have that conversation
when you go back to the mountain a few missions before the end

Most disappointing game I played this year. Could been a great game except the garbage bow combat. Was expecting an rpg not a twitch shooter with bullet sponge monsters. Gave up after spending over 2 hours on the first cauldron. Love every thing else about the game. Not good at shooting while rolling and running with a controller. I thought the division had bullet sponges this takes the cake. Shame to love the stealth and everything else.

giphy.gif

Bullet sponge?

lol

This is an "exploit weakspots for massive damage" game, if you use the correct weapons on the highlighted areas the takedowns are a lot easier.

Ulong

wasn't it by choice so he could take care of Aloy? They do say near the beginning he's an outcast by choice.

Nah, they gave
Aloy to rost because he was already an outcast, and they wanted someone to look after this outcast baby. Rost's choice is explained in detail in an optional conversation late in the game.

Second play through on very hard, spear only.

Yeah.... when I find out, I'll let you know.

Get ready for Mass Effect: Andromeda? I love ME1-3, looks like the new game has a lot more exploration and freedom. I'm really hoping it will turn out to be HZD in space with aliens.

Saving replay for when I get a 4K HDR TV later this year!

I still have collectibles and some huntings left and I want to engage against some machines and take pictures freely this time. That would be enough until Andromeda. ;)

hawk2025

The game is hitting you in the head over and over with "FIND ANOTHER WAY TO CAUSE DAMAGE" and you are refusing to adapt and use the tools it gives you.

I'm sorry, that's not "bullet sponges".

I just got to Meridian and
ransacked Olin's house, Erend asked me to avenge his sister
but I haven't started the quest yet. Am I close to the story ramming up to 11? If I am, I will push through with the main quest first. I usually just like to clean up on the side stuff first so I don't miss anything, and my attention in a game nosedives pretty fast after I finish the main quest.

Also, do we ever find out why
Rost was casted out
? Or did I miss it?

Yeah you're pretty close to shit getting real. Good luck trying not to finish the story st that point.

Just beat this, loved every second of it, favorite game from this generation for me. I completed it in 42 hours and 48 min at 92.53 completion. I'm craving more though, I would gladly by an expansion for this if they release one.

Are people not tearing parts off the machines and using status effects/traps?

Seriously. Finding the weaknesses and experimenting with the wide array of weaponry and gadgets is so fun. The combat with the robo dinos has yet to get stale for me. I'm guessing some people are just sticking with the default bow and complaining because things aren't dropping from 1 arrow to the head or something.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Seriously. Finding the weaknesses and experimenting with the wide array of weaponry and gadgets is so fun. The combat with the robo dinos has yet to get stale for me. I'm guessing some people are just sticking with the default bow and complaining because things aren't dropping from 1 arrow to the head or something.

I dunno, I beat the game on hard with only 3 bows and ropecaster

Falchion

So just got absolutely wrecked by my first Thunderbird. I have a Shadow Sharpshot bow with 3 tear mods and it still didn't seem to be taking off much health. Is there something I'm missing about it?

The controls are a bit flimsy in the heat of the moment because the dual shock only has so many buttons, so I can see how thumbing through menus when you're under pressure can be bothersome. But I've never considered anything I've fought to be a bullet sponge unless I was way out of range, or just hitting their armor instead of their weak points.

Humans take like 4-8 arrows unless you hit them with a sharpshot arrow to the head. Are they bullet sponges too?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

You can easily avoid the Shell Walker. When you get to the room with the Bellowback at the end just cover the floor in traps before you trigger the fight. You won't have to roll because it won't be able to move.

I have a question that might be ridiculously stupid but it's driving me crazy so I just have to ask.

Forgive me if this makes no sense.

Since the 1.03 patch I feel like I've noticed more pop-in in the game. Sometimes a plant will pop in like 12 feet away, sometimes a buildings textures will warp in at a point where they had already been clearly visible before, stuff like that

There's a chance this could have been happening the entire time but before the patch I barely noticed any pop in, at least not of this magnitude

I'm on a Pro, using resolution mode.

Is this just placebo? Am I crazy? Could my hard drive or console be having an issue?

finally started the game. first thoughts are that holy shit this is pretty, and holy shit the dialogue and voice acting is terrible.

the way little kid aloy runs made me laugh. it's like she's always about to fall over.

I have a question that might be ridiculously stupid but it's driving me crazy so I just have to ask.

Forgive me if this makes no sense.

Since the 1.03 patch I feel like I've noticed more pop-in in the game. Sometimes a plant will pop in like 12 feet away, sometimes a buildings textures will warp in at a point where they had already been clearly visible before, stuff like that

There's a chance this could have been happening the entire time but before the patch I barely noticed any pop in, at least not of this magnitude

I'm on a Pro, using resolution mode.

Is this just placebo? Am I crazy? Could my hard drive or console be having an issue?

I have noticed some pop in lately.

Polarburr

What? Clearly not playing the game how it's supposed to be.

chur

Wait, the enemies have weak points? I've been playing this game like Dark Souls for the past 10 hours.

So that's why I couldn't defeat
KIDDING! Part of me does want to do a second playthrough DS style though.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Fuck this Rockbreaker quest...I dont know how you guys do this on hard or even very hard,awful fight.

Like I said before you can just kill it with the bow from outside the fence.
There's a story mission around the same part of the game where the in-game dialogue actually tells you to cheese the bosses in a similar way.
(That similar way being to climb to the top level and stop and pop. The bosses can't climb up there and if you back away from the edge when they fire projectiles they're blocked by the environment.)

Any tips to clear that one? What armor and mods are you using?

my weapons were:
Shadow hunter Bow( 38% damage, 34% damage/ 6% fire, 39% tear coil)
Shadow Sling ( 41% Freeze/ 6% tear, 41% Freeze, 27% Fire/6% Handling/6% freeze)
Tearblaster(basically a must)
Shadow Rope Caster ( 40% Tear, 43% Handling/ 6% Tear, another 43% Handling/ 6% Tear)

Amor
Nora Protector Heavy( 18% resist range attacks, 18% resist melee attacks

for the Ravager Control Trail:

I always stealth override the ravager on the right, then I actually start battling the thunderjaw; this will basically aggro every body, then use the ropecaster to bring the thunderjaw down, then tearblast both off its cannons off, by now the the other ravager should be on you by now, use another round of rope casters to bring down the ragager(I used my concentration too make it faster, then override it

here's were you need a little bit of luck my Ravager had destroyed the watchers and was attacking the thunderjaw, so this made the overriding of the second one easy(didn't always work as planned) once bother ravagers are contolled use the ropecaster to bring the thunderjaw down again, freeze it with the shadow sling, then pick up the disc launchers and lay into it. the thunderjaw will probably knock the sense back into the ravagers so they might turn against you but just continue lay into the thunderjaw

I managed to beat it barely in 2:34

for the thunderjaw vs. ravager trail:

I immediately fight the thunderjaw, again this should aggro everybody; then use the ropecaster to bring the thunderjaw down, then use your concentration to shoot off both cannons. then this is where might need to rely on you durability, pick up the dics launcher and lay into he ravagers, i believe you get 8 shots with the disc launcher, about 4 or 5 shots should take one down. i got knock around but keep using you hearbs and potions to keep you health up, once you take once down just go after the other one.

beat it in 1:43

edit: all this for nothing! :p

congrats though!

Zackat

So just got absolutely wrecked by my first Thunderbird. I have a Shadow Sharpshot bow with 3 tear mods and it still didn't seem to be taking off much health. Is there something I'm missing about it?

hit him in his chest with those until he drops his gun. using tear arrows are good for knocking things off, but there is only so much. use the piercing damage arrows to hit the feathers, or ice arrows (I think ice) to hit the canister on the back to make it explode

I want a horde mode for this game so badly.

yep if they could just develop a quality horde mode for this game I would be set until the next release.

Ferrio

Banned
Is there any better way to target enemies with your focus to view all their parts/weaknesses? Just hovering over them is finicky as it jumps around as they move.

Zackat

Is there any better way to target enemies with your focus to view all their parts/weaknesses? Just hovering over them is finicky as it jumps around as they move.

if you target over them with your focus on, then hit the touchpad it should bring you right to their entry in the journal. If not, just hitting the button and going to the machine directory is the best way I found.

my weapons were:
Shadow hunter Bow( 38% damage, 34% damage/ 6% fire, 39% tear coil)
Shadow Sling ( 41% Freeze/ 6% tear, 41% Freeze, 27% Fire/6% Handling/6% freeze)
Tearblaster(basically a must)
Shadow Rope Caster ( 40% Tear, 43% Handling/ 6% Tear, another 43% Handling/ 6% Tear)

Amor
Nora Protector Heavy( 18% resist range attacks, 18% resist melee attacks

for the Ravager Control Trail:

I always stealth override the ravager on the right, then I actually start battling the thunderjaw; this will basically aggro every body, then use the ropecaster to bring the thunderjaw down, then tearblast both off its cannons off, by now the the other ravager should be on you by now, use another round of rope casters to bring down the ragager(I used my concentration too make it faster, then override it

here's were you need a little bit of luck my Ravager had destroyed the watchers and was attacking the thunderjaw, so this made the overriding of the second one easy(didn't always work as planned) once bother ravagers are contolled use the ropecaster to bring the thunderjaw down again, freeze it with the shadow sling, then pick up the disc launchers and lay into it. the thunderjaw will probably knock the sense back into the ravagers so they might turn against you but just continue lay into the thunderjaw

I managed to beat it barely in 2:34

for the thunderjaw vs. ravager trail:

I immediately fight the thunderjaw, again this should aggro everybody; then use the ropecaster to bring the thunderjaw down, then use your concentration to shoot off both cannons. then this is where might need to rely on you durability, pick up the dics launcher and lay into he ravagers, i believe you get 8 shots with the disc launcher, about 4 or 5 shots should take one down. i got knock around but keep using you hearbs and potions to keep you health up, once you take once down just go after the other one.

beat it in 1:43

edit: all this for nothing! :p

congrats though!
No it wasn't for nothing. I'm still doing the other two. Thanks for the info! Don't have your weapon mods though

The JT

Neo Member
Just reached Daytower. About 30 hours in, I'm just running around killing enemies and stuff. This is gonna take me awhile to finish, lol.

quest

Not Banned from OT
The controls are a bit flimsy in the heat of the moment because the dual shock only has so many buttons, so I can see how thumbing through menus when you're under pressure can be bothersome. But I've never considered anything I've fought to be a bullet sponge unless I was way out of range, or just hitting their armor instead of their weak points.

Humans take like 4-8 arrows unless you hit them with a sharpshot arrow to the head. Are they bullet sponges too?

Sure 4-8 is perfectly reasonable. Problem is 4-8 do almost nothing maybe 3-5% damage in that fight. Shooting at glowy areas with ammo they suggest in the scan.

If ever a post was meant for git gud it's this one. Lol

Falchion

hit him in his chest with those until he drops his gun. using tear arrows are good for knocking things off, but there is only so much. use the piercing damage arrows to hit the feathers, or ice arrows (I think ice) to hit the canister on the back to make it explode

Ok sweet, going to give that a try.

$30 DLC with new area, handful of new machines, few new weapons, and horde mode PLEASE.

Day 1.

SlickVic

I know it's been said a lot already, but the graphics sure are impressive. I'm sure the deeper I get into the game and the more of the map I uncover I'll start to fast travel. But for now, taking in the views, seeing the trees and tall grass blow with the wind, it's enough for me to just take my time and slowly get to my destination at my own pace.

Catdaddy

Wish they would add an option to switch off the controller speaker, although getting use to it now but wonder if it drains the controller even faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom