• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else hate fighting humans? I just use the standard arrow and aim for their heads, but they sometimes run after you and are quite fast.

In regards to melee, what do you think? Mechanics could improve and using the shoulder buttons feels weird, but I've played worse.

VanWinkle

Sure 4-8 is perfectly reasonable. Problem is 4-8 do almost nothing maybe 3-5% damage in that fight. Shooting at glowy areas with ammo they suggest in the scan.

I'm sure you do, but I have to ask just in case, have you been holding down the R2 trigger to get the accuracy honed in?

Can't say without having completed it, but so far I'd say it's the same with most RPGS I've played where there's just not enough patience to go through that particular pacing in exploring those worlds again. This is already evident in the same amount of time spent in BOTW. Something about that openness and all the options in what to do and how to approach things is a bit much.

Mass Effect is the exception, and that's due to the pacing and design being more akin to a shooter. There's little distraction (screw the fuel/resource padding on that note).

Thing is, after a certain point of adding RPG features you can't really escape the fact the game is trying to be an RPG enough that its failings in trying become apparent.

Of course, this won't matter to you at all if you love the combat so much you can just engage with that for hours. The rest would just seem like added extra.
so... the game is a 5/10?

:p

JK

The lore and main story are intriguing.(good sci-fi) The actual character dialogue/quality of the writing itself is average. None of the side characters stand out to me.

Aloy's interaction with
Sylens is fantastic. Rather than someone compassionate here's a companion that doesnt give a shit about anyone except himself until the end.

le.phat

Most disappointing game I played this year. Could been a great game except the garbage bow combat. Was expecting an rpg not a twitch shooter with bullet sponge monsters. Gave up after spending over 2 hours on the first cauldron. Love every thing else about the game. Not good at shooting while rolling and running with a controller. I thought the division had bullet sponges this takes the cake. Shame to love the stealth and everything else.

So what are dark souls enemies or monster Hunter to you, Melee spunges?

I'm sorry the game is out of your league in terms of difficulty, but it sounds like you're more disappointed with your own inability to play this game as it was intended.

Wish they would add an option to switch off the controller speaker, although getting use to it now but wonder if it drains the controller even faster.

Yeah, I feel like I'm constantly charging the controller every day.

Anyone else hate fighting humans? I just use the standard arrow and aim for their heads, but they sometimes run after you and are quite fast.

In regards to melee, what do you think? Mechanics could improve and using the shoulder buttons feels weird, but I've played worse.

They never had a chance with me. Stealth is the best way to deal with humans for me. Even the elites stood no chance with 3 stacked arrows into the head. I don't bother with the kill from above/below and elite silent kill for spear. Headshot is way more efficient.

Ricker

Wish they would add an option to switch off the controller speaker, although getting use to it now but wonder if it drains the controller even faster.

Huh...? I dont hear anything from the controller speaker.(not in this game anyway)

And thanks for the Rockbreaker tips earlier guys.

I just got to Meridian and
ransacked Olin's house, Erend asked me to avenge his sister
but I haven't started the quest yet. Am I close to the story ramming up to 11? If I am, I will push through with the main quest first. I usually just like to clean up on the side stuff first so I don't miss anything, and my attention in a game nosedives pretty fast after I finish the main quest.

Also, do we ever find out why
Rost was casted out
? Or did I miss it?

wasn't it by choice so he could take care of Aloy? They do say near the beginning he's an outcast by choice.

re: ROST - you'll find out about why he's an outcast.

the matriach tells you all about his past after you return to all mother mountain

Griss

Tried to tear myself away from Zelda after 50 hours to play this, made it 20 minutes before Zelda pulled me back. 20 hours more in that masterpiece, and I was finally ready to put it down and start Horizon.

Had my first play session, made it all the way past the first Corruptor boss.

Fantastic so far. Not perfect, but really good. It's a change going from Zelda to something that's far more 'typical AAA action game' style, what with the endless wordy story and tutorials and what have you, but it's all very well done, and more importantly in that first hour your eyes are melting out of your head from the visuals so you barely notice what the game is asking you to do. I like traditional blockbusters and traditional open-world games, so this is right up my alley.

The story is good, even if the presentation and tone are painfully earnest. But I can handle earnest, I like earnest. It beats 'sarcastic cool' or 'wacky humour' any day. I like Aloy, like the world building already, and like where everything's going. The pacing has been excellent so far, lots has happened - far more quickly than I expected. Especially after the proving - the story took a wild turn there that I just didn't see coming, and totally bypassed the 'Aloy becoming accepted into daily tribal life' quests I was sure would follow. Again, that's good, quick pacing.

As for Aloy, she controls really well, even if I'm still totally unsure of how I'm actually supposed to be fighting the machines. Firing my bow and dodging when they attack? The bigger ones seem to take tons of hits, even in their weak spots. I've died a couple of times already on normal. But it all feels weighty and good.

I could go on about the visuals, suffice it to say that this is the game I bought a 4k TV and PS4 Pro for and, well... if you've played it you know. Visual and technical masterpiece of the highest order.

Only thing I don't like so far is how busy the HUD is and how ubiquitous all these gather spots are. Seems like a couple too many systems at the moment. That said I'm only just settling into the game.

The fact that my first play session lasted a couple of hours is a good sign. I'm gonna really enjoy this.

Fuck this Rockbreaker quest...I dont know how you guys do this on hard or even very hard,awful fight.

lots of
Fire arrows.

Tried to tear myself away from Zelda after 50 hours to play this, made it 20 minutes before Zelda pulled me back. 20 hours more in that masterpiece, and I was finally ready to put it down and start Horizon.

Fantastic so far. Not perfect, but really good. It's a change going from Zelda to something that's far more 'typical AAA action game' style, what with the endless wordy story and tutorials and what have you, but it's all very well done, and more importantly in that first hour your eyes are melting out of your head from the visuals so you barely notice what the game is asking you to do.

The story is good, even if the presentation and tone are painfully earnest. But I can handle earnest, I like earnest. It beats 'sarcastic cool' or 'wacky humour' any day. I like Aloy, like the world building already, and like where everything's going. The pacing has been excellent so far, lots has happened - far more quickly than I expected. Especially after the proving - the story took a wild turn there that I just didn't see coming, and totally bypassed the 'Aloy becoming accepted into daily tribal life' quests I was sure would follow. Again, that's good, quick pacing.

As for Aloy, she controls really well, even if I'm still totally unsure of how I'm actually supposed to be fighting the machines. Firing my bow and dodging when they attack? The bigger ones seem to take tons of hits, even in their weak spots. But it all feels weighty and good.

I could go on about the visuals, suffice it to say that this is the game I bought a 4k TV and PS4 Pro for and, well... if you've played it you know. Visual and technical masterpiece of the highest order.

Only thing I don't like so far is how busy the HUD is and how ubiquitous all these gather spots are. Seems like a couple too many systems at the moment. That said I'm only just settling into the game.

The fact that my first play session lasted a couple of hours is a good sign. I'm gonna really enjoy this.

dynamic HUD so you have very little on screen.

Jamix012

I don't want to turn this into any sort of war or anything I'm coming in with a genuine question.

I finished Zelda on Sunday and it was amazing. I'd never enjoyed an open world before that and, as such, didn't really consider Horizon a game I'd be interested in. After Zelda I'm hungering for more and even though I'd love to keep playing Zelda, mixing it up might prove even better.

Do people think someone who typically doesn't enjoy open world games could enjoy Horizon?

Fantastic so far. Not perfect, but really good. It's a change going from Zelda to something that's far more 'typical AAA action game' style, what with the endless wordy story and tutorials and what have you, but it's all very well done, and more importantly in that first hour your eyes are melting out of your head from the visuals so you barely notice what the game is asking you to do. I like traditional blockbusters and traditional open-world games, so this is right up my alley.

As for Aloy, she controls really well, even if I'm still totally unsure of how I'm actually supposed to be fighting the machines. Firing my bow and dodging when they attack? The bigger ones seem to take tons of hits, even in their weak spots. I've died a couple of times already on normal. But it all feels weighty and good.

Do yourself a favor: Turn the hud to custom, everything dynamic.

RDreamer

Man I am loving this game way more than I thought I would. Everything is great. The gameplay is amazing, the music is sublime, the graphics are so good, and I'm really into the lore and intrigued by where the story is going. 25 hours down and I just want to be able to play more and more. I'm also taking way too many photos for my own good. One of the first games to really make me do that.

Best way to deal with human enemies is to burn them with fire bombs.

I find the best way is three arrows straight to the head.

Sanctuary

Gotta remember to try this.

The other way is to simply use a Rattler with 3x 35% or higher shock mods.

I find the best way is three arrows straight to the head.

That's almost always overkill. You don't really need more than two ever, unless your bows don't have any good damage mods. The AI is so stupid though that whistling in the bushes gets you a resource free kill too, as does pretty much moving through the camp in the stealth armor.

Worked like a charm.

I know you finished it but that trial really helped me learn the timing of the melees for maximum damage during monster down states.

You can basically get two heavy attacks off, cancel the second one into the R1 critical hit and do another heavy attack as the robot is getting up (for a total of three heavy attacks and one critical). It's actually pretty damn effective in dealing consistent damage to an enemy.

VanWinkle

Is that an option you're recommending? What does it leave on screen?

Dynamic HUD is the best. I haven't switched back yet. I think it just leaves the compass up top, the waypoint marker, and the resource icons. As you need more icons (like in combat situations) those will show up.

Personal recommendation for HUD: turn off the compass and stealth indicators.

Honestly, I don't even know what purpose they serve. Haven't missed either one bit and the stealth indicators don't do much since the enemies telegraph everything pretty clearly, especially with the changing of eye colors.

VanWinkle

Personal recommendation for HUD: turn off the compass and stealth indicators.

Honestly, I don't even know what purpose they serve. Haven't missed either one bit and the stealth indicators don't do much since the enemies telegraph everything pretty clearly, especially with the changing of eye colors.

Yeah those I wouldn't mind having off, but I love having the dynamic one because I do actually like seeing the health and ammo and stuff when combat situations come up. So I live with it.

Yeah those I wouldn't mind having off, but I love having the dynamic one because I do actually like seeing the health and ammo and stuff when combat situations come up. So I live with it.

You can do both actually. Set the HUD to custom, leave most features on dynamic and disable just select features. That's what I've done and have it mostly on dynamic except stuff I know I won't use (compass, stealth indicators).

It functions like the dynamic HUD except for the elements you've disabled.

Apt101

Most disappointing game I played this year. Could been a great game except the garbage bow combat. Was expecting an rpg not a twitch shooter with bullet sponge monsters. Gave up after spending over 2 hours on the first cauldron. Love every thing else about the game. Not good at shooting while rolling and running with a controller. I thought the division had bullet sponges this takes the cake. Shame to love the stealth and everything else.

They have weak points, and stripping them of their offensive and defensive tools and/or exploiting their elemental weaknesses become key as the game progresses.

It's really not difficult. If you didn't acquire the skill that slows down time when aiming, make that you first priority. Everything else fall into place.

jdstorm

Banned
Can't say without having completed it, but so far I'd say it's the same with most RPGS I've played where there's just not enough patience to go through that particular pacing in exploring those worlds again. This is already evident in the same amount of time spent in BOTW. Something about that openness and all the options in what to do and how to approach things is a bit much.

Mass Effect is the exception, and that's due to the pacing and design being more akin to a shooter. There's little distraction (screw the fuel/resource padding on that note).

Speaking of mass effect. I did a replay of the origional trilogy mid last year. Knowing mostly where to go, optimal builds and mostly sticking to the main path it takes 30hours to complete all 3 games. They are actually rather short.

Horizons biggest pacing Faux Pas is that you have to walk/ride halfway across the map for every new story mission, or fast travel and risk going in without enough materials. Not sure how GG fix that going forward.

I suspect it would take an overhaul of their player leveling mechanics.

My personal idea of what i would like to see.
I think the best way to fix it is with faster mounts, maybe even flying mounts (and Ariel Combat appearing halfway through the game) although that might be beyond the reach of the technology.

re: ROST - you'll find out about why he's an outcast.

the matriach tells you all about his past after you return to all mother mountain
Thanks, I'll keep an eye (ear) out for that.

Oh hey, DLC idea, Rost's adventure while he was raising little Aloy, dude must have been through a lot in those 18 (16? How old is Aloy at the Proving?) years. Guerrilla can even reuse most of the map since Rost must have stayed in the Sacred Land with little Aloy most of the time. Or maybe the conflict between the Carja and Nora during the Red Raids period?

My personal idea of what i would like to see.
I think the best way to fix it is with faster mounts, maybe even flying mounts (and Ariel Combat appearing halfway through the game) although that might be beyond the reach of the technology.
Yeah I don't think your flying mount idea can be achieved just yet, probably not in this game anyway. There is a side mission where you climb up to the top of a snowy mountain and then zipline down to the village below, the game has trouble displaying more than a couple villagers while you are in the air. I imagine air-to-ground combat would be pretty difficult to do.

Yea if GG added a basic, Batman Arkham style combat with spear it would have made the game perfect. Having only two moves limits you a lot.

TheFatMan

Does anyone know if patch 1.03 fixed the DLC bow and armor bug? (If it was a bug, seems like it was).

I tried googling it and I can't seem to find an answer anywhere.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Does anyone know if patch 1.03 fixed the DLC bow and armor bug? (If it was a bug, seems like it was).

I tried googling it and I can't seem to find an answer anywhere.

It did. I tried with a couple things of armor on even low level enemies. Same amount of damage

Phediuk

Whenever a popular game drops, the Internet from far and wide comes to lurk the GAF thread for a week or two. Thread 2 will have a lot less.

k but the Zelda thread has way less views than this despite having more posts and despite GAF currently being obsessed with it.

Muzicfreq

Banned
k but the Zelda thread has way less views than this despite having more posts and despite GAF currently being obsessed with it.

The reason being that there's like a new thread a day talking about Zelda instead of just the 3 I think this game has.
Screenshot/OT/Spoiler

EDIT: Seems like every hour there's a new Zelda thread

How do I locate side quests?

You can't. Side quests only pop up on your map when you're near them, kinda like Witcher 3.

They really need to nerf Sheild Weaver armor too. That is practically god mode on.

I am dancing my way to platium. Did all the hunter trials and caulderons losing basically zero HP.

Bro you read my friggin' mind.

Well, you can always choose not to use it. I don't like the design anyway, kinda out of place except for the cauldrons.

Why does this thread have such a ridiculously high viewcount, anyway?

Yeah, I've been wondering about that too. Another thing that noticed is that Zelda OT post count surpassed Horizon in just a few days. Well, I mean yes it's Zelda, but Horizon has been sold out everywhere. It's a massive success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom