• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
That heavy stealth armor with three purple stealth mode is insane. rbots wish they can see me.
It is the fucking best! Now I can walk alongside them and admire all the sexy machinery. Seriously, there's nothing like the heavy stealth armour!

RedAssedApe

Banned
Do the caldron. Stealth/Sneak up on its friend (They are usually in groups) Overide one and then let them fight it out.

this is so fun. shoot an arrow to aggro a dino...let your dino friend smash him to pieces. the AI is way better at killing stuff than me at this point lol

Thought this was interesting, John Carpenter tweeted about Horizon:
U55hyZl.png

damn, that's some high praise.

Caode

At some point I think I'm going to have to move on with the story but I've spent the first ten hours or so just exploring every inch of what I can - or just rotating the camera taking in the scenery. This game is stunning.

calder

This may have been mentioned already but thinking about how I really like the writing and story made me realize this game has a few exceptional pieces of storytelling in it.

For me specifically the early side quest "The Forgotten" was a standout in a way as it dealt with the mystery of the missing outcast Brom. The way the game dealt with shunning and exile in general was extremely interesting to me as it's an important feature of any tribal society where they can't spend the resources to incarcerate people who break the laws/codes of the tribe but need to separate them from the larger group.

As you play the game more you see how exile and punishment actually works as the world expands and the little rules and exceptions come into play (mild early spoilers):
how a child like Aloy can be exiled for nothing she could possibly remember doing but will be grudgingly welcomed back if she passes the proving and becomes a brave - AKA demonstrates she will be of use to the tribe
. Just when you start wondering how the system "works" in the larger sense you meet some examples of how some of the tribe treat it with a wink and a nudge
the merchant who was shunned for a time and, after doing his "time", finds himself a bit outside normal society and is willing to trade with Aloy
and some are extremely - seemingly excessively - focused on the letter of the law.

But Brom's story was different yet again in that
it also seems to deal with mental illness in a setting where people would scarcely be able to recognize it. Brom was a danger to others because of the voices he hears in his head tell him to act violently, and at first for a minute I totally assumed that - because video games - Brom would end up being suffering from some machine illness or poison and Aloy would Nancy Drew that shit and he would be cured and return to his sister. But that doesn't happen, and instead it certainly seems he is suffering from some sort of paranoid schizophrenia and frankly would still be dangerous to others. I really liked how Aloy and his sister Olara come to that conclusion and, with Brom, agree that he will remain separate from the tribe for the welfare of himself and others but have contact with his sister, who will hopefully be able to help him.

I just found that one example of slightly confounded expectations to be very interesting and well done, and there's a few more similar little side stories throughout.

Ulong

John Carpenter used to do game of the year lists for giantbomb, not that surprising to see him tweeting about this. Good for Horizon though.

Sanctuary

i love taking them down over freezing. it's pretty epic seeing them struggle as you try to knock off more armor.

Freeze not only makes them a lot slower, it also increases your damage by a huge amount.

Uhh, wait don't all the purchasable Heavy armors only have 2 mod slots? Only that one with no base stats has 3 slots.

That's all I've seen so far, and I'm near the end of the game. I'm not even sure what the point of the three slotter is either, other than a general purpose tide me over until you can afford getting each of the more specialized (and still ultimately useless aside from Stealth/Frost) armors.

Or buy a Shadow War Bow, place some corruption mods on it, fire a corruption arrow and watch the fun begin.

You need to just make sure that whatever you have charmed doesn't get the killing blow, if you want any experience from that kill. Once you hit the level cap, it doesn't really matter.

DrkSage

Beat the game. That ending tho 👌🏻.

Although there's something gameplay wise that bothers me.

I kinda hate it when a game, once you beat it and want to continue playing, puts you (timeline wise) right before the final mission. Seeing the final quest still active bothers me. I'd prefer if it continued AFTER those events like witcher and skyrim and other rpgs, BUT still have a way to revisit such event, something like Pokémon Ranger were if you went to the final place there would be a person that put you to sleep and you would dream the final battle again. I'd implement something like that on horizon (
in olins bed
and have aloy dream of any of the main story quest.

shiba5

Beat the game. That ending tho 👌🏻.

Although there's something gameplay wise that bothers me.

I kinda hate it when a game, once you beat it and want to continue playing, puts you (timeline wise) right before the final mission. Seeing the final quest still active bothers me. I'd prefer if it continued AFTER those events like witcher and skyrim and other rpgs, BUT still have a way to revisit such event, something like Pokémon Ranger were if you went to the final place there would be a person that put you to sleep and you would dream the final battle again. I'd implement something like that on horizon (
in olins bed
and have aloy dream of any of the main story quest.

I don't like it much either, but I think they do it so you don't miss any trophies. I really wanted to just see the world after the ending though.
Final Fantasy 15 does it too and I hated it. I feel like I'm stuck in time.

Zakalwe

Banned
The game might have been somewhat advertised as an "actual RPG", but many already said how it wasn't going to be one based on what was being shown months prior to release. Hell, when the developer even says "keeping the RPG elements light" you have to keep your expectations in check, since so many games anymore have "RPG elements" that aren't RPGs.

It's as much of an RPG as either of the Tomb Raider reboots. Generic dialogue options don't change that.

After a certain amount of RPG systems are added it becomes an RPG by default. Horizon is an action RPG, and the RPG elements it contains are shallow.

Hopefully they'll either refine them or go for a leaner action game next, I'd take either.

Ulong

It's really amazing how once you get your foot in the door the world of voice acting opens up immediately. Ashly had been in nothing before borderlands 2 but right after that she's all over the place.

She's actually really good though, so well deserved.

I'm really enjoying things with the rest of the world opened up now. I'm just getting distracted by everything around me instead of the main quests though. :p I think that speaks to how enjoyable combat is and how wonderful everything looks.

Brine

This games battle system works very well against large enemies. Hopefully Horizon 2 has even larger Colossi size enemies or bosses because it would just work unlike some other games.

DrkSage

I don't like it much either, but I think they do it so you don't miss any trophies. I really wanted to just see the world after the ending though.
Final Fantasy 15 does it too and I hated it. I feel like I'm stuck in time.

Yea :( it sucks. I don't want to be stuck in an endless timeloop

"
Hades
, I've come to bargain"

zulux21

It's really amazing how once you get your foot in the door the world of voice acting opens up immediately. Ashly had been in nothing before borderlands 2 but right after that she's all over the place.

She's actually really good though, so well deserved.

well to be fair she was on youtube for a long time before that :p

but yeah borderlands didn't hurt her profile.
but yeah voice acting is very dependent on getting a role that makes people want to cast you. I mean it makes sense... if you design a character and have an idea of how you want them voiced, are you going to go with an open casting and just listen to people or are you gonna call the person you had in mind and see if they will do it.

it happens in the anime studios all the time where certain people will just get a bunch of the certain type of roles because that is how that role is expected to be voiced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom