• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorillaz

It's really amazing how once you get your foot in the door the world of voice acting opens up immediately. Ashly had been in nothing before borderlands 2 but right after that she's all over the place.

She's actually really good though, so well deserved.
Yea I was surprised at how she slowly has been getting these parts. All I think about character wise when she's brought up is tiny tina from borderlands 2

Can I also say this game has some fantastic background lore. It's really exactly what I hoped for as a Killzone fan. Guerilla's writers did a fantastic job fleshing out the history and background of Helghast society and culture but you very rarely got to experience that in the games.

With the move to an RPG style of storytelling that writing skills pays off in spades. This game rivals only Metroid Prime for me in terms of actually making me want to read every little piece of information I encounter. There's SO much to consume too.

If you actually enjoy listening to audio logs and reading lore in-game, holy shit does this game deliver.

Tubie

I finally finished the game and what an incredible experience that was.

The story and world they built truly is something special. Very few games have had me as intrigued and interested in the story as this game did, every time I found new holos, audios or even texts it was like opening a present.

Well done GG, hope you're working on a sequel or DLC right now!

Finished the game in 32 hours with 56% done. (At some point the story gets so good that I just rushed to the end and skipped a lot of side content)

Sanctuary

caption contest

f92b43a5822c253a720c0a5546bb1e4e.png

"Please fix my mouth animations. Please!"

Salvadora

Some impressions after 20 or so hours:

Good:
- Goes without saying, but the art direction and technical performance is out of this world.
- Combat (against the machines) is seriously fun and you are given so many options to approach it however you feel. Each machine feels completely different to fight, and you are encouraged to use various different weapons to take each down.
- The story and general state of the world. Endlessly fascinating and leaves me wanting more at every turn.
- Aloy is a great character
- The music is fantastic

Bad:
- Character facial animations (lip-syncing) is seriously poor and really sticks out like a sore thumb when compared to the rest of the game.
- Side Quests are kind of shit. I have not met one single character who is memorable. Nor have I been particularly interested in what they were about about, bar one or two exceptions. The Witcher has me spoiled in this regard
- Combat against Humans is just plain bad. Hide in the grass and whistle, then kill. Rinse and repeat. Either that, or go around sniping people with the bow in the head which is not particularly fun either.
- Crafting. Killing 20 boars and getting one skin isn't fun.

In many ways the world feels like a more reserved Far Cry.

The ambient music is serviceable enough, but I don't think the OST has been very memorable overall so far. I did love this one track that came on the first time I entered the desert though.

Wish the game had some great sweeping scores and catchy tunes as well. Eh whatever. Still a step up from Nioh's OST which reused the same couple tracks so often.

Any advice on how to find the ancient vessal just to the south west of Devils Thirst? It looks like it should be somewhere inside a big squarish ruins but I don't see anything!

Any advice on how to find the ancient vessal just to the south west of Devils Thirst? It looks like it should be somewhere inside a big squarish ruins but I don't see anything!

If it's the one I'm thinking about it's across the river, it took me 15 minutes this morning to find it.

X-Frame

If it's the one I'm thinking about it's across the river, it took me 15 minutes this morning to find it.

Yup, I think this is the one too.

Another tip Neuromancer is to use Focus and scan all around you because you may find the dim purple sliver of the Focus telling you something is there. If you do see it and hover over it then the Focus will confirm what it is.

Also, if you put the Waypoint over whatever you're trying to find, look to where it is in the world because it'll tell you at what elevation it is so you don't worry about searching for something on the ground when it is 3 stories up.

Naite

Just finished the game. I usually ignore whats in data logs and audio recordings in game but it was really interesting learning everything that happened up until the present.

I really wish datapoints showed up on the world map. I'm too lazy to look for the remaining ones but it bugs the completionist within me that I'm at 98.5%.

There's no way to skip forward in time right? I spend so much time in the dark...

Yup, I think this is the one too.

Another tip Neuromancer is to use Focus and scan all around you because you may find the dim purple sliver of the Focus telling you something is there. If you do see it and hover over it then the Focus will confirm what it is.

Also, if you put the Waypoint over whatever you're trying to find, look to where it is in the world because it'll tell you at what elevation it is so you don't worry about searching for something on the ground when it is 3 stories up.
Thanks for the hints! I found it, it was indeed across the river.

Zackat

Just finished the game. I usually ignore whats in data logs and audio recordings in game but it was really interesting learning everything that happened up until the present.

I really wish datapoints showed up on the world map. I'm too lazy to look for the remaining ones but it bugs the completionist within me that I'm at 98.5%.

yeah I am at like 97%, but going to find all the text and audio logs I am missing would take way too long

After a certain amount of RPG systems are added it becomes an RPG by default. Horizon is an action RPG, and the RPG elements it contains are shallow.

Hopefully they'll either refine them or go for a leaner action game next, I'd take either.

Game feels much more like an action game in the vein of Far Cry/Tomb Raider than an RPG. Only big difference to me is the dialogue tree and even then you don't really have a choice in what you say/do. Plus, the dialogue is like average at best. It's certainly not a standout quality of the game.

I do like it more than those games though because Aloy is such a great character and the robot combat is fun. However, it has a lot of shallow systems and exploration isn't rewarding enough.

mokeyjoe

Game feels much more like an action game in the vein of Far Cry/Tomb Raider than an RPG. Only big difference to me is the dialogue tree and even then you don't really have a choice in what you say/do. Plus, the dialogue is like average at best. It's certainly not a standout quality of the game.

I do like it more than those games though because Aloy is such a great character and the robot combat is fun. However, it has a lot of shallow systems and exploration isn't rewarding enough.

I agree, the RPG parts are lightweight. It's like they've blown out a slick linear action game into an open world. That's a compliment btw, not a criticism. But if you view it through an RPG lens then of course it's nowhere near as deep as TW3 or Skyrim or whatever.

It's more like Red Dead meets Vanquish, with Witcher and Far Cry sprinkles.

Mifune

Mehmber
Plus, the dialogue is like average at best. It's certainly not a standout quality of the game.

I couldn't disagree more. The dialogue and lore is some of the best I've seen in a game. Most games don't even attempt the level of nuance and subtlety present in so many of this game's conversations.

Skux

Does anyone know how the Ammo Crafter skill works? It says I can make additional ammo from the same amount of resources, what does that even mean?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Wire becomes super important for the higher level arrow types. You can usually keep enough by killing plenty of lower level machines, but if you're using a lot of the specialty arrows and the trip/ropecaster, you can burn through them rather quickly.

And yes, there NEEDS to be a buy multiple button.

This is my pretty much one and only gripe with the game.

I'm always running low on wire... so I have to buy it and you have to keep pressing the damn button 50 times to stock the fuck up.

In an otherwise good game, that's a weird omission.

Got my first power cell!

Just saw a place that the game wasn't directing me to go, and I thought, "Wait, something must be there, right?" And a convenient way to rappel back down as well so you don't feel like you're doing a lot of backtracking.

Don't be afraid to explore! =)

I couldn't disagree more. The dialogue and lore is some of the best I've seen in a game. Most games don't even attempt the level of nuance and subtlety present in so many of this game's conversations.

Yeah .
That is one of the reasons why i like this game so much .

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh ok so its not just me running out of wire all the time, good.

and that stealth mission can go fuck off, actually ended my session on a huge sour note that did :/

I really need to stop going aftter the colleectible, they are not only not doing anything for me, they are actually annoying me.

anything involving narrative im loving tho (well except that one mission I just did). Did my first cauldron earlier too and that was dope.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
How do you disable the hud-stuff for resource gathering? I don't want to see that annoying shit anymore.

The lore and main story are intriguing.(good sci-fi) The actual character dialogue/quality of the writing itself is average. None of the side characters stand out to me.

melkier33

Wanted to share some screenshots I took. I like the first one reminds me of a fantasy book cover. Hope it comes out OK, using my phone to post and I don't normally post pics.

Ca1gd1o.jpg

mE9PxOs.jpg

X-Frame

Oh man, the high-level Corrupted Zone with the
2 Rockbreakers
has quite a lot of powerful robots surrounding the zone in close proximity. Hint hint!

Dragun619

Well, Finally finished the game, and got the Platinum. Fantastic game overall from Guerilla Games. I gotta admit I was worried about the story, especially after being fed up with Killzone 3 back then, but they pulled through and nailed it. Hooked all the way through.

Now, two things. Fuck Glinthawks. The most troublesome and annoying enemy I've found in the game. Jeez. Sometimes I don't even know, man. They just spot me from far away and all of sudden a pack of damn birds are on my back, spiting ice and shit. Maaan.

And Melee Combat. I would love for this area to be improved in the sequel because most of time outside of just sneak attacks. I rarely used it, and if I did. I would always feel frustrated with it. Like it would mostly backfire and then I'm forced to heal. Felt like it was never an option in any situation, even when the machine is down.

Other than that, Fantastic game overall. Graphics, Presentation, and Soundtrack are just on point. And I am just beyond stoked to see where Guerilla Games takes Aloy's story next and what Kojima Productions will do with this fantastic engine.

The lore and main story are intriguing.(good sci-fi) The actual character dialogue/quality of the writing itself is average. None of the side characters stand out to me.

Yeah, mostly due to the bad lipsync as well as janky animation. Even Aloy act funny sometimes.

Regarding side characters, I think the problem is that there are so many of them but they only got so little part in the story. The open world nature of the game certainly doesn't help either that make everything badly paced. I liked Varl and Sona, but where are they now? It's been a long while since the last time I met Erend too. But this not a problem exclusive to Horizon.

Vroadstar

Totally disagree here, when you enjoy spending more time on foot than on striders etc., which I did, finding new dino-robots to fight, even fighting previously discovered dino-robots in numbers that's the reward itself. And the RPG system is not shallow it's just more focus,crafting arrows in the weapon select screen is genius instead being buried deep in the menu just so system be considered as deep by some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom