• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socivol

I don't want to turn this into any sort of war or anything I'm coming in with a genuine question.

I finished Zelda on Sunday and it was amazing. I'd never enjoyed an open world before that and, as such, didn't really consider Horizon a game I'd be interested in. After Zelda I'm hungering for more and even though I'd love to keep playing Zelda, mixing it up might prove even better.

Do people think someone who typically doesn't enjoy open world games could enjoy Horizon?

I hate open world games. The only two I like are FF XV and Horizon so yes.

zulux21

Do people think someone who typically doesn't enjoy open world games could enjoy Horizon?

yeah. I don't usually enjoy open world games as they tend to lack focus and thus while I can have fun messing around with stuff I get bored quickly.

I have indeed gotten bored with most of the collectibles in horizon, but I am still enjoying the combat, and advancing the main story.... thus I am likely just gonna focus on that for now.

I'm not really sure what the last open world game I played before this was because they aren't something I typically play. Robot dinos man... they have some power over me :p

Yeah, I've been wondering about that too. Another thing that noticed is that Zelda OT post count surpassed Horizon in just a few days. Well, I mean yes it's Zelda, but Horizon has been sold out everywhere. It's a massive success.

Feels like there's a lot more to discuss with Zelda. Not much to say here other than this game is great and the occasional reply to someone who needs a hand.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I'm sure you do, but I have to ask just in case, have you been holding down the R2 trigger to get the accuracy honed in?

If stealthing yes but if having to run dodge and shoot like this encounter nope. Stopping is instant damage and lots since armor does not work very well from what experienced. Being 2.5 levels higher than enemies and a single hit still can take 40% of your life.

jdstorm

Banned
I don't want to turn this into any sort of war or anything I'm coming in with a genuine question.

I finished Zelda on Sunday and it was amazing. I'd never enjoyed an open world before that and, as such, didn't really consider Horizon a game I'd be interested in. After Zelda I'm hungering for more and even though I'd love to keep playing Zelda, mixing it up might prove even better.

Depends on what type of open world games you have previous experience with.

Horizon seems to be most closely related to Uncharted or TR2013 then typical open world games. Horizon is reasonably focused despite its length. Would 100% recomend it. (Although maybe take a break and play something else first. Open World Fatigue is a real thing)

Also consider leveling up the
skill tree that allows you to ride a mount as early as possible.

This should help you get around a bit quicker

VanWinkle

It's hard to say, honestly. The world in Horizon is the most beautiful world I've ever seen in a game, and it's got the same amount of world variety as Zelda BOTW. But the world a.) isn't nearly as big, and b.) doesn't encourage exploration nearly to the same extent. That is to say, you won't just wander around in Horizon and constantly be finding random landmarks that reveal important characters and side quests, nor will you find a bunch of quaint villages. That's not to say these don't exist in the game, mind you.

Actually, thinking about it more though, I think you probably would enjoy it, because it's a big narrative change of pace compared to Zelda, it's got similar biomes in a way better looking world, the worldbuilding and lore is really interesting, and it's just fun.

I will say this: if there are elements about the game you don't like, such as clearing bandit camps or hunting trials or something, just don't do them. You can feel totally free to skip that stuff and do the things that interest you.

Blameless Marad is easily my favorite NPC in the game so far, though Varl gets props for being cute. I was initially very unimpressed with the writing and NPC interactions early on but that opinion has done a moderate 180. It probably didn't help that I'd immediately come from playing The Witcher 3.

Xeteh

Man, I love the story in this game. I'm coming close to the end and this is the first game in forever that has me reading every "codex" entry. I just want to know everything that happened. I missed a few entries despite trying to find everything and I'm bummed about that. Oh well.

I think Horizon actually do reward exploration. Side quests are kinda hidden in settlements and you can only encounter them by exploring. Simply following the main story quest won't do. By exploring, you may also find machine sites where you can farm for mods. Not to mention all of the stuff you can gather along the way.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
If stealthing yes but if having to run dodge and shoot like this encounter nope. Stopping is instant damage and lots since armor does not work very well from what experienced. Being 2.5 levels higher than enemies and a single hit still can take 40% of your life.

Use traps.
Use traps.
Use traps.
All I had was triplines, but that's enough for that boss to wreck itself.

PrinceKee

Huh...? I dont hear anything from the controller speaker.(not in this game anyway)

And thanks for the Rockbreaker tips earlier guys.

You must be playing with headphones or your sound on the tv up really loud. Because every time you use focus it makes an annoying noise. When I'm trying to play a little at night with my wife in bed sleep it sucks. Wish you could turn it off...

Mindlog

You must be playing with headphones or your sound on the tv up really loud. Because every time you use focus it makes an annoying noise. When I'm trying to play a little at night with my wife in bed sleep it sucks. Wish you could turn it off...
You can. That's probably why the other person didn't notice as I shut mine off a long time ago as well. Just hold the PS button, go to sound/devices and turn the controller speaker down.

VanWinkle

I think Horizon actually do reward exploration. Side quests are kinda hidden in settlements and you can only encounter them by exploring. Simply following the main story quest won't do. By exploring, you may also find machine sites where you can farm for mods. Not to mention all of the stuff you can gather along the way.

It does, and I feel compelled to explore just because I don't want to miss the sight of anything, but it's not even close to the same amount as BOTW. I'd love to see more interesting landmarks that you go to and there's a great reason for you being that and it rewards you for it. Like, the really tall spiraling building in Devil's Thirst. It looked so awesome but there wasn't actually anything there to feel like I SHOULD have gone up to it. There was a point early on (don't remember how early but it was certainly before going to the western side of the open world) where
You get a holographic clip of a structure that you're looking at and how it was and how it looked in the "ancient days" perfectly overlayed over the structure as it stands now
and it was so cool. That should happen with EVERY interesting structure.

This world should be so mysterious to Aloy, so I wish there were way more cool or weird or interesting things to stumble upon all throughout.

This isn't really a con to the game, btw. Just something I'd love to see improved and expanded upon in the sequel.

PrinceKee

You can. That's probably why the other person didn't notice as I shut mine off a long time ago as well. Just hold the PS button, go to sound/devices and turn the controller speaker down.

That's not really a good solution imo. To have to turn it off for all my games just because the focus sound is annoying since I use it so much. But, thanks it's worth doing when playing in bed late at night...

mokeyjoe

I couldn't get more than a few hours into Far Cry and tired of the GTA games and JC3 by about half way through. With the exception of RDR I just can't get into open world stuff. But I'm loving this so I'd have to say yes.

It's much more compact and streamlined than those games. The 'open world' stuff is very optional, and you can just power through the (fantastic) story if you so wish. I tend to like the sidequests though, as they're basically an excuse to kill more stuff, and this is largely the high point of the game.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Just beat the main quest story line. What a fantastic ride from start to finish. GG have definitely outdone themselves, well done. I'll keep playing cause this world is too beautiful.

mokeyjoe

Tried to tear myself away from Zelda after 50 hours to play this, made it 20 minutes before Zelda pulled me back. 20 hours more in that masterpiece, and I was finally ready to put it down and start Horizon.

Had my first play session, made it all the way past the first Corruptor boss.

Fantastic so far. Not perfect, but really good. It's a change going from Zelda to something that's far more 'typical AAA action game' style, what with the endless wordy story and tutorials and what have you, but it's all very well done, and more importantly in that first hour your eyes are melting out of your head from the visuals so you barely notice what the game is asking you to do. I like traditional blockbusters and traditional open-world games, so this is right up my alley.

The story is good, even if the presentation and tone are painfully earnest. But I can handle earnest, I like earnest. It beats 'sarcastic cool' or 'wacky humour' any day. I like Aloy, like the world building already, and like where everything's going. The pacing has been excellent so far, lots has happened - far more quickly than I expected. Especially after the proving - the story took a wild turn there that I just didn't see coming, and totally bypassed the 'Aloy becoming accepted into daily tribal life' quests I was sure would follow. Again, that's good, quick pacing.

As for Aloy, she controls really well, even if I'm still totally unsure of how I'm actually supposed to be fighting the machines. Firing my bow and dodging when they attack? The bigger ones seem to take tons of hits, even in their weak spots. I've died a couple of times already on normal. But it all feels weighty and good.

I could go on about the visuals, suffice it to say that this is the game I bought a 4k TV and PS4 Pro for and, well... if you've played it you know. Visual and technical masterpiece of the highest order.

Only thing I don't like so far is how busy the HUD is and how ubiquitous all these gather spots are. Seems like a couple too many systems at the moment. That said I'm only just settling into the game.

The fact that my first play session lasted a couple of hours is a good sign. I'm gonna really enjoy this.

Firstly, the story gets better as it goes along.

Secondly, the combat gets really good when you've unlocked more weapons and you're taking down bigger, harder stuff - a great mixture of tactics and action.

Thirdly, the dynamic HUD is great. Every game should have this option.

StewboaT_

Do you have to collect all flowers, artifacts, figures and viewpoints to get the platinum? Dont think I can be bothered with that kind of busy work if so.

Moonkeis

Finished my first cauldron tonight... That end fight was awesome, I didn't think I was going to win it but I just kept on kiting.

jamsy

So I just got to the
Sunfall
story quest and
Sylens mentioned something about a point of no return.
I'm assuming I'm close to the end. Do I need to finish all the sidequests and optional stuff before I proceed?

mokeyjoe

So I just got to the
Sunfall
story quest and
Sylens mentioned something about a point of no return.
I'm assuming I'm close to the end. Do I need to finish all the sidequests and optional stuff before I proceed?

No, it seems totally meaningless what he says. The game continues as before after that mission.

kaiiri

So just beat the game (awesome stuff), so now gonna snag the last couple trophies I missed (mostly collectible stuff) for the plat. Noticed one of the ones I'm missing is the "Cleared all the Bandit Camps" trophy. At this point I've cleared them all (and got the trophy for that)... I assume I'm just screwed for this play through and will have to get to that point in another to platinum the game?

Do you have to collect all flowers, artifacts, figures and viewpoints to get the platinum? Dont think I can be bothered with that kind of busy work if so.
You do. But the vantage points give some cool insights into the world before it went to shit, and the other collectibles will reward you with some cool gadgets. You don't have to go out of your way too much to collect them (except the figures), worth going for the plat!

vivekTO

Someone working on the DLC

ronBnI8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom